Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dnbguy »

Tis better to be lucky than good: I was just reading about the history of American political parties the other day. Went with Monroe because he presided during the Era of Good Feelings, the time between the First Party System (Federalists & Democratic-Republicans, Adams v. Jefferson) and the Second Party System (Democrats & Whigs, Jackson v. Clay). Lach Trash on Yelp and WV.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Loads of obscure clues throughout.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Austin Powers wrote:Close to being a fourth podium win based on the J round alone...
Same here, though I didn't do as well in Double J.

I enjoyed seeing tonight's game, since I hadn't seen any of these contestants play before.

I guessed Madison for FJ just to write something down.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I knew that Jefferson was incorrect because of Burr. He shot Alexander Hamilton during Jefferson's first term and, well, that ended his political career (actually I guess it was the end of Hamilton's as well). Andrew Jackson also had a famous reason for exclusion--his first VP, John C. Calhoun, supported the right of his home state of South Carolina to nullify federal law (I believe in this case it involved the tariff, not slavery). So he wasn't welcome on the ticket the next time around. I wound up at the end of the Think Music between Madison and Monroe and went with Madison. :(

My wife asked me during the game how Eddie was able to keep track of what clues were left on the board. I wasn't sure, but if it is strictly memory, then playing an opponent that bounces would be really tough (probably for the bouncer as well, you can just imagine the comments you'd get about that!)

Looking at the matchup tomorrow, I suspect we'll see a lot better game play, scoring and pace.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

I believe it's strictly memory for Eddie; sometimes he calls for clues that are no longer on the board and Alex asks him to select again. It happened this evening--he called for the nonexistent $1200 clue and they give him the $1600.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember in one of his original games he was running a category and kept saying "next one down" rather than the dollar amount. He asked if any were left after he was done and Alex said no.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

lieph82 wrote:I believe it's strictly memory for Eddie; sometimes he calls for clues that are no longer on the board and Alex asks him to select again. It happened this evening--he called for the nonexistent $1200 clue and they give him the $1600.
Yes, but in all fairness, sighted contestants have done that too.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Eddie was on my team for my The Chase audition, so I had to be pulling for him. Besides the fact that he's an incredibly nice guy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

georgespelvin wrote: Andrew Jackson also had a famous reason for exclusion--his first VP, John C. Calhoun, supported the right of his home state of South Carolina to nullify federal law (I believe in this case it involved the tariff, not slavery). So he wasn't welcome on the ticket the next time around. I wound up at the end of the Think Music between Madison and Monroe and went with Madison. :(
Calhoun was indeed a staunch defender of slavery, but it was the tariff issue that drove him and Jackson apart. I also think he was as bull headed as Jackson so it probably wasn't a good partnership to begin with.

I was down to Madison and Monroe, but chose Monroe because it seemed like the Era of Good Feelings guy wouldn't dump his VP. Kind of a silly thought, but it paid off.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I was down to Madison and Monroe, but chose Monroe because it seemed like the Era of Good Feelings guy wouldn't dump his VP. Kind of a silly thought, but it paid off.
They didn't pick their own VP's back then, did they (at least not directly)?
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I was down to Madison and Monroe, but chose Monroe because it seemed like the Era of Good Feelings guy wouldn't dump his VP. Kind of a silly thought, but it paid off.
Starting with the 1804 election, there was a Pres/VP ticket.

I didn't get to watch tonight. I have just recently been boning up on VPs; I estimate that I would have gotten FJ with about 10 seconds to spare.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi all.
This WAS a really tough game. I thought FJ was really tough - I thought like Eddie and so wouldhave gotten it wrong. Like the comment one poster put that he/she thought the "Era of Good Feelings" guy wouldn't dump his VP.

Now - would one of the admins PLEASE contact me. I've tried e-mailing, tried PM, but haven't gotten a response. I'd like to get an avatar, but an admin has to enable it and I don't know what I should do. Please and thanks.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who remembers the following movie blooper. In the film Miracle on 34th Street, there is an infamous scene in which Kris Kringle tells Fred Gailey about how familiar he is with the standard psychological examination. He says to Fred, "Who was vice president under John Quincy Adams? (pause) Daniel D. Tompkins. I'll bet your Mr. Sawyer doesn't know that."

I first learned about this error when I was memorizing vice presidents and realized that the film got it wrong. I believe the cause of the error may have been the fact that J.Q. Adams was our 6th President and Tompkins was our 6th VP.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
I'm not exactly sure. I looked up the Wikipedia articles on Monroe's elections and it just said they renominated both of them in 1824. I guess if Monroe wanted someone else, they'd have gone in a different direction. But the Federalists didn't even put up a candidate and many delegates didn't even go to Monroe's convention and he barely campaigned. Not the most exciting election in history.
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

jwatcher16 wrote:I'd like to get an avatar, but an admin has to enable it and I don't know what I should do. Please and thanks.
Are you sure? I added my avatar just a few days ago, in the User Control Panel, and there was no approval required.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

ChemTeacher wrote: In the film Miracle on 34th Street, there is an infamous scene in which Kris Kringle tells Fred Gailey about how familiar he is with the standard psychological examination. He says to Fred, "Who was vice president under John Quincy Adams? (pause) Daniel D. Tompkins. I'll bet your Mr. Sawyer doesn't know that."

I first learned about this error when I was memorizing vice presidents and realized that the film got it wrong.
If the Scarecrow can botch the Pythagorean theorem, I'm not surprised by anything.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Wow! This was the toughest game of the season, and in memory, for me, right down to the FJ, for which I guessed Grant...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lieph82 wrote:I believe it's strictly memory for Eddie; sometimes he calls for clues that are no longer on the board and Alex asks him to select again. It happened this evening--he called for the nonexistent $1200 clue and they give him the $1600.
They may have edited out Alex pointing out that $1200 was called for and asking him if he wanted $1600 instead (or Eddie just changing it to $1600) before giving the clue.
alietr wrote:Eddie was on my team for my The Chase audition, so I had to be pulling for him. Besides the fact that he's an incredibly nice guy.
I have yet to hear about (or meet (offline)) a J! contestant that isn't "an incredibly nice [person]" (this is especially true of the champions (there are some possible exceptions in those that didn't win a game at all) - they seem to be nicer the more games they win). I don't know what it is about J! contestants, but they all seem to fit that description.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pelee on Hawaii sounded funny until I thought about Pele the deity being more reasonable. My guess was Diamondhead in trying to make it one word since it's been way too many years since I've seen The Diamond Head Game hosted by Bob Eubanks. I had eliminated Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea for two words and forgot all about Kilauea. D'oh.

Eddie hit a strong patch in the game, but it's not like he dominated Rachael from start to finish. She played a decent conservative second place game and it worked in her favor at the end. Having seen all of her games throughout her J! career I felt like I could see this outcome coming a mile away.

Rachael prevailed, but let's see her do it again in the next round. It's wildcard or bye. She's not winning again.

Hope Babu enjoys his camera. I don't know if he'll ever get a chance to lose a sixth game in a row.

Make-up artist (4) = liar - Good one writers.

Okay, who helped set up Eddie with the gold tie line. Nice one whoever made it happen.

The FJ! clue had me start on the early end. Jefferson? No, the Burr thing. Madison & Monroe? Two terms each. VPs? Can't remember. Jackson, Lincoln, Grant, Cleveland, and McKinley I eliminated one by one for the various reasons. Back to the M&M. 50/50? Of course I wrote Madison. Ugh. I'll need the refresher when Ken Jennings's Junior Genius Presidents book comes out in May.

KJ's Junior Geography book gave me trip back to 3rd grade for a laugh. What is the smartest state? It's Alabama because it has 4 A's and a B.