Practice Game before taping

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Post Reply
User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Practice Game before taping

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering so that I know what to expect: for anyone who has participated in a taping of Jeopardy!, do you get to play in a practice game with the buzzers and all before the actual game?
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Marana, AZ
Contact:

Re: Practice Game before taping

Post by RandyG » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Lumosityfan wrote:Hi everyone,

I am just wondering so that I know what to expect: for anyone who has participated in a taping of Jeopardy!, do you get to play in a practice game with the buzzers and all before the actual game?
Yes. During the studio orientation all the contestants were given plenty of time to get the feel of the lectern, buzzer and game area layout, and play a mock game with the actual Jeopardy board and fully-functional buzzers. A contestant coordinator played Alex at his lectern. The contestants were rotated in one at a time, rather than all three at once, so that you played against more than two others. IIRC there were also Daily Doubles on the practice boards. When you weren't up you sat in the audience and got a chance to watch the others practicing.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8471
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Practice Game before taping

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Your practice is not a full game of 61 clues though. You may or may not play a DD or the FJ! round. If your buzzer timing is good you will be shuffled out quicker than someone whose timing needs work. Even so some players have felt they did not get enough practice time. Others do a handful of clues and they are good to go. YMMV. At least that is how it was in aught five.

User avatar
debramc
Iced Mare Grub
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 am
Location: Princeton, TX

Re: Practice Game before taping

Post by debramc » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:10 am

MarkBarrett wrote:Your practice is not a full game of 61 clues though. You may or may not play a DD or the FJ! round. If your buzzer timing is good you will be shuffled out quicker than someone whose timing needs work. Even so some players have felt they did not get enough practice time. Others do a handful of clues and they are good to go. YMMV. At least that is how it was in aught five.
I think they try to get everyone to get a DD, and definitely everyone walks through the FJ procedure. (Wager goes here, question word goes here...). It was my understanding that everyone would get the chance to do a DD wager, but it somehow felt like not everyone did. It definitely would've been great to play a whole practice game with the same two people (and it definitely doesn't happen.) The rotating in and out was disorienting and I still felt like I could use more buzzer practice.

User avatar
the_phil
60% or Bust
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Practice Game before taping

Post by the_phil » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:38 pm

debramc wrote:I think they try to get everyone to get a DD, and definitely everyone walks through the FJ procedure. (Wager goes here, question word goes here...). It was my understanding that everyone would get the chance to do a DD wager, but it somehow felt like not everyone did. It definitely would've been great to play a whole practice game with the same two people (and it definitely doesn't happen.) The rotating in and out was disorienting and I still felt like I could use more buzzer practice.
I taped this year, and I distinctly remember Maggie saying "Just when you feel like you're getting the hang of it, YOINK, and it's someone else's turn." I don't remember them mentioning getting everyone a practice DD, and at my taping I only remember 3 or 4 people (out of 11) getting one. Everyone got 1 practice FJ, plus some of us happened to get one during regular practice.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Practice Game before taping

Post by seaborgium » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:54 am

I managed to run categories in two different practice games.

Post Reply