Think Different 182 -- 2 Out of 5

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Think Different 182 -- 2 Out of 5

Post by lieph82 »

goforthetie wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote: But I still don't see the "skill" or "strategy" in picking one of five known letters of the alphabet. Am I missing something? Seems more "Deal Or No Deal" than "Jeopardy!" to me...
There is a bit of luck involved in seeing if you can select a combination that the fewest people choose.
This is exactly the point - such questions are all luck, zero skill or strategy.
I completely disagree. This is not blind guessing, like "pick a number 1 to 5, one of them will be randomly chosen as correct." Trying to pick what you think is least likely to be chosen by the masses is a psychological exercise. Do you think people are more likely to pick consecutive numbers? Numbers farther apart? Will people be partial to 3? 1? Of course there's a luck element to this, but it's not at all 100% luck. Just because there's not a trivia component to these questions doesn't mean they don't have a point.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goforthetie wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote: But I still don't see the "skill" or "strategy" in picking one of five known letters of the alphabet. Am I missing something? Seems more "Deal Or No Deal" than "Jeopardy!" to me...
There is a bit of luck involved in seeing if you can select a combination that the fewest people choose.
This is exactly the point - such questions are all luck, zero skill or strategy.
Hmm...zero strategy...I have an idea, but I'd have to essentially cheat to pull it off (not 100% on all the possible answers)

Basically pick two answers at random for each question and just go with that.
If zero strategy really applies, then random answers should perform averagely?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Volante wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Hmm...zero strategy...I have an idea, but I'd have to essentially cheat to pull it off (not 100% on all the possible answers)

Sure, if what you aspire to is performing averagely.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

naurae29 wrote:
Volante wrote:
goforthetie wrote:

Sure, if what you aspire to is performing averagely.
That is the intent, assuming performing randomly is the same as performing averagely.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
esrever

Post by esrever »

There are 15 entries so far, with 69 singletons still available out of 200 possible answer pairs. Every question still has at least one unused answer pair at this point, with 2 questions each having 6 unused pairs and 3 questions each having 7 of them!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

So those of us who have submitted have been sheeping pretty badly? That's quite usual for me.
Teems with quiet fun.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Well, at least I knew I would never get very far...
esrever

Post by esrever »

immaf wrote:So those of us who have submitted have been sheeping pretty badly? That's quite usual for me.
The questions with several unused pairs are questions that a lot of people are dropping. And there's one question that several people have gotten wrong, so that one still has some unused pairs. I haven't noticed much sheeping yet. So far, with 19 entries, the highest total score is less than double the lowest total score.
esrever

Post by esrever »

There are 25 entries so far, with 41 answer pairs remaining unused (out of 200 possible pairs). One question still has 7 unused pairs and another has 5 unused pairs. Four questions have no more unused pairs, five questions have only one unused pair, and three other questions have two unused pairs. So for most questions, the answers have been well spread out with no major sheeping. But one question has 9 people choosing one pair and two others have 8 people choosing one pair, so these questions have the largest sheep totals so far. Also so far, the highest total score is a little more than double the lowest total score.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I, for one, know I got one question wrong, and while I'm pretty sure that was the only one, there were a few questions where I was only sure enough of a few answers to say them, so I'm probably sheeping on those. I also used all 5 drops, so I doubt I have a very good score.
Oh, well. It's still a fun game!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Deserving of a bump, especially given that #183 has already been posted. #182 stays open until Monday, 3/17, 12:00 noon Eastern.
nestegg
Contributor

Post by nestegg »

This TD game looks interesting! I want to play it, but I know I need to get 3 posts approved first before I can send a private message. So this is one of those posts.
esrever

Post by esrever »

The deadline for entering is at noon Eastern Time on Monday, March 17: about 16 hours away as I post this. There are 34 participants so far, but there's always room for more!
esrever

Post by esrever »

Just six hours to go now before the deadline for entering (at noon Eastern Time). We're up to 39 participants now. Can we make it to 40? It will take just one more person, but there's certainly room in this game for more than 40!
esrever

Post by esrever »

Just 3 more hours until the entry deadline! We have 42 participants now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

esrever wrote:Just 3 more hours until the entry deadline! We have 42 participants now.
I would say that's the answer to everything.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Reasonably big earthquake in Los Angeles this morning to mark the closing of the entry period for TD 182.
esrever

Post by esrever »

One more hour until the deadline!
BobF

Post by BobF »

RandyG wrote:Reasonably big earthquake in Los Angeles this morning to mark the closing of the entry period for TD 182.
Good thing she didn't ask for 2 of the 5 biggest richter scale readings of California earthquakes, or this could have been a big one.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
esrever

Post by esrever »

The entry period for TD 182 is now closed. Thanks to everyone who has entered. We have 46 participants. I will begin revealing the results shortly. I plan to reveal the results of 4 questions each day through Friday.