Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Post Reply
User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by mennoknight »

dhkendall wrote: I think I heard somewhere that Leaf Rapids is basically a ghost town now since the mine closed several years ago.
Yeah, I've seen pictures. The town was laid out by the mining company (Sherritt Gordon I believe), so it's got one of those great indoor complexes with a mall/bank/playground/ice rink/school that just sits dormant. My grandfather was the chief engineer at the mine, and my father worked for Indian Affairs.
dhkendall wrote: We moved from Gillam to Winnipeg in the dead of winter too (mid January, 1980), but I don't recall any problems of that magnitude. (I do remember our furniture, which did come by train since, as Adam points out, PR 280 wasn't built yet, wasn't at our new Winnipeg house when we got there, so it *may* have been delayed by cold, but I don't think I was ever told why the furniture wasn't there then.)
My favourite memory was seeing our brown Jeep Eagle (great in those northern Manitoba winters) getting loaded off and onto the train from Churchill to Thompson.

and roadgeek - I can't believe someone actually wants to visit these places. We moved from Churchill to Haida Gwaii in the late 80's, and I remember thinking, even as a youngster: "Why do people CHOOSE to live in places like northern Manitoba? Do they know there are other places to live?" Now that I'm married to a girl from Thunder Bay I think the same thing about northern Ontario. "You people vacation here? Are you aware that there are places in Canada without bugs?"
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

mennoknight wrote: and roadgeek - I can't believe someone actually wants to visit these places. We moved from Churchill to Haida Gwaii in the late 80's, and I remember thinking, even as a youngster: "Why do people CHOOSE to live in places like northern Manitoba? Do they know there are other places to live?" Now that I'm married to a girl from Thunder Bay I think the same thing about northern Ontario. "You people vacation here? Are you aware that there are places in Canada without bugs?"
You know, honestly, its mainly for the cold, and the nothingness up there. (I hate living in Jersey because of the heat there). I know some day I'd like to go to Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. (One of the languages I want to learn (and I am not good at learning languages period) is Inuit, which would be great.)

When it comes to writing for Wikipedia, especially for me, you learn a lot about the places you write about, and it bonuses the urge to go see them some day. All my Erie Railroad research has gotten to want to go to places such as Spencerville, Ohio or North Judson, Indiana just see to see what's left of my favorite research project. Plus, these areas would make great photography.

It won't be at this age, but some day, I'll travel up MB 280, MB 290, MB 391 and MB 394 some day to see places like Thompson, Lynn Lake, Gillam, Sundance and Split Lake. (If there is anything left of Sundance by then either.) Just a dream to be up there.

(Of course there's something to be said, when you have been outside in a T-shirt and shorts with no jacket in 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I haven't worn a coat since 2009 and have been out in aforementioned clothing in blizzards.)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8782
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by dhkendall »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
mennoknight wrote: and roadgeek - I can't believe someone actually wants to visit these places. We moved from Churchill to Haida Gwaii in the late 80's, and I remember thinking, even as a youngster: "Why do people CHOOSE to live in places like northern Manitoba? Do they know there are other places to live?" Now that I'm married to a girl from Thunder Bay I think the same thing about northern Ontario. "You people vacation here? Are you aware that there are places in Canada without bugs?"
You know, honestly, its mainly for the cold, and the nothingness up there. (I hate living in Jersey because of the heat there). I know some day I'd like to go to Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. (One of the languages I want to learn (and I am not good at learning languages period) is Inuit, which would be great.)
Well, if you want cold and nothingness, Gillam is a good place to start. :) (Actually, Gillam isn't all that cold in the summertime. Gillam is regularly about 5 to 10 degrees* cooler than WInnipeg in the winter (putting it in the -30 to -40 range) and about 5 degrees hotter in the summer, if you can believe it! (putting it in the 30 to 35 degree range). If you come in the summer (and, if you aren't used to a prairie winter, I'd recommend a summer trip), you will be surprised. Hell, I lived there for almost eight years, experienced it myself, and it still surprises me!

As for Nunavut, it is one of my goals in life to see at least all 10 provinces, and possibly all 3 territories. (Only have the 4 Atlantic provinces left, and all the territories of course), so again, you'll be living out my goals for me.

* all figures given in real, proper numbers. Those who are metric impaired will have to use their own resources.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Suze »

Alright, I guess it's time I wrote one of these thingies.

I'm Susan Miller, called by many variations of Susan over the years so I respond to them all. 'Suze' is my nieces' preferred name, so I randomly picked it the day I registered for the original board. Background: grew up in Worcester, MA, and then a couple of its suburbs for high school. Briefly went to Marymount Manhattan College for theater, hated the school, dropped out and spent most of my twenties in strangely varied professions. I've lived in NYC, Texas, and now Ohio. I've got a three and a half year old son named Trey whom I adore, but I try not to squee too much over him because really, who wants to hear other people rave about their kids? Anyway, after we lost his father to an illness when Trey was six months old, we moved up to Ohio with my family. Eventually I started up college at a little state school, and I've found a renewed love of learning, beyond the arts & literature stuff I've always been into.

About six months after we came to Ohio is when I got back into Jeopardy hardcore. Taking the online test and then getting the audition email, they were the things that brought me back to life and made me want things again beyond day to day survival. So I'm grateful for Jeopardy's place in my life and finally getting the Call this past July was...well, a lot of you know how it is. I can't really articulate it. Anyway, my taping experience was fabulous, my fellow contestants were fun and brilliant and generous souls. You can see me on September 27th. Originally I was supposed to air somewhere mid-October, but the taping cancellations moved my episode up. Can't say I mind that. :)
So yeah, that's my deal.

snoopyrules
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by snoopyrules »

I'm baaaack!!! I finally got around to looking for the message boards (I knew this group couldn't do without each other for long). It appears that everyone is still doing well. For the newbies, my name is Gail and I was a two day champ in season 25. It's good to be home!

User avatar
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: New Mexico

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by lisa0012 »

Rex Kramer wrote:
alietr wrote:
JeanneJag wrote:One of my favorite volunteer activities is being a State Problem Captain for Odyssey of the Mind, a program that teaches creative problem-solving. I train judges and help run competitions at the local and state level in Texas.
My daughter did Odyssey of the Mind! She had a lot of fun with it.
Both my children participated last year, and I helped coach my daughter's team. I probably enjoyed it even more than they did, but I didn't have to do all the work. :)

Rex
*I* participated in Odyssey of the Mind as a teenager. My teammates and I were honors kids with a lot going on, and so we usually got our whole project done last-minute, but we had a ton of fun doing it even if we never won. Always did the artistic/dramatic category, and my best memory was doing a Wizard of Oz spoof where I played the Wicked Witch of the West, Tonya Harding, and then ending with the cast singing "Imagine". Good times.

User avatar
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by mitchparov »

Hey Roadgeek--is your avatar the State Street station?

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

mitchparov wrote:Hey Roadgeek--is your avatar the State Street station?
Yep, taken this July when I was in Hamden and New Haven for an event. I do wish I could make my avatars bigger though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek/5 ... 274586972/
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

User avatar
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)
Posts: 861
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:37 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:I do wish I could make my avatars bigger though.
Did you see this?: http://www.jboard.tv/jboard/phpBB3/view ... p=194#p194 It's how I made my own avatar bigger.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7693
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Volante »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
mitchparov wrote:Hey Roadgeek--is your avatar the State Street station?
Yep, taken this July when I was in Hamden and New Haven for an event. I do wish I could make my avatars bigger though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek/5 ... 274586972/
Ahh, I see what it's doing now. I was wondering why your raster editor did such a terrible job of resizing it. :lol:

Open it in paint, image menu, stretch/skew, 40% horizontal & vertical, save as a new file and upload it under your control panel, profile, avatar.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Rumble Fish (6), The LEGO Batman Movie (7), Carnage (7), Baywatch (5)

User avatar
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Budphrey »

Suze wrote:I've got a three and a half year old son named Trey whom I adore, but I try not to squee too much over him because really, who wants to hear other people rave about their kids?
Hey, if you can't squee over your kid, who can you squee over? Sounds like a classic permission/forgiveness scenario to me. ;)
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

User avatar
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

As Teddy Roosevelt once put it when someone told him he was going on to much about his Alice: "Any father who is NOT objectionable about his daughter is a pervert."
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

User avatar
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by mitchparov »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
mitchparov wrote:Hey Roadgeek--is your avatar the State Street station?
Yep, taken this July when I was in Hamden and New Haven for an event. I do wish I could make my avatars bigger though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek/5 ... 274586972/
Nice. That station's a stone throw from me--I haven't been there in almost five hours!

User avatar
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Picked Off »

Hi, everyone. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I thought I would share a new segment I'm hosting for the public radio station where I work. It's called Any Questions and it launches this evening. It's in the tradition of Will Shortz's Sunday puzzle on Weekend Edition, but it features crossword creator Mike Nothnagel, who lives in our listening area, and a new themed quiz each week.

I suspect the folks who visit this board might find it a touch easy, but here's the site nonetheless: wamc.org/anyquestions

(Audio is posted to the site each airdate).

Ian
Last edited by Picked Off on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

mitchparov wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
mitchparov wrote:Hey Roadgeek--is your avatar the State Street station?
Yep, taken this July when I was in Hamden and New Haven for an event. I do wish I could make my avatars bigger though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek/5 ... 274586972/
Nice. That station's a stone throw from me--I haven't been there in almost five hours!
Then I can say that CDOT half-assed a clearly useful station. But with Union Station, you won't be seeing much more than that. I'd love to see SLE dumped in favor of a Metro-North extension to New London.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

User avatar
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by jpahk »

Picked Off wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I thought I would share a new segment I'm hosting for the public radio station where I work. It's called Any Questions and it launches this evening. It's in the tradition of Will Shortz's Sunday puzzle on Weekend Edition, but it features crossword creator Mike Nothnagel, who lives in our listening area, and a new themed quiz each week.

I suspect the folks who visit this board might find it a touch easy, but here's the site nonetheless: wamc.org/anyquestions

(Audio is posted to the site each airdate).

Ian
i heard about this from mike. fun first episode, and at 150 seconds long, it will probably fit into my weekly schedule. :)

User avatar
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Picked Off »

Mike is definitely a natural. It's one of those happy accidents that we got hooked up for this in the first place. Thanks for fitting it in :mrgreen: !
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

User avatar
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by mitchparov »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Then I can say that CDOT half-assed a clearly useful station. But with Union Station, you won't be seeing much more than that. I'd love to see SLE dumped in favor of a Metro-North extension to New London.
Yeah, I think you're right on--but as you say, when you have a beautiful old station half a mile away...

As long as Metro-North would still service the intermediate stops (Branford, Guilford, Madison, etc.), I'm with you on the second part, too.

Also, you know an alarming amount about my state's (very limited) mass transit system!

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

mitchparov wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Then I can say that CDOT half-assed a clearly useful station. But with Union Station, you won't be seeing much more than that. I'd love to see SLE dumped in favor of a Metro-North extension to New London.
Yeah, I think you're right on--but as you say, when you have a beautiful old station half a mile away...

As long as Metro-North would still service the intermediate stops (Branford, Guilford, Madison, etc.), I'm with you on the second part, too.

Also, you know an alarming amount about my state's (very limited) mass transit system!
Comes naturally to know said alarming amount. :) Metro-North wouldn't dump those stops, there'd be outrage, not like Governor Malloy will likely listen, but things do happen here in Trenton, things can happen in Hartford. :)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by John Boy »

Suze wrote:
I'm Susan Miller,

I've lived in NYC, Texas, and now Ohio.

You can see me on September 27th.

So yeah, that's my deal.
Hey Suze! Many congrats on getting The Call, and especially happy that the whole J! experience seems to have been so beneficial (therapeutic?) for you. I'll be watching on the 27th for sure.

Where were you in TX (I was born and raised there) and where are you in OH (I've also lived there quite some time)?

Oh, and retroactive good luck!

John

Post Reply