Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Batraxos
Multiple Swimmer

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Batraxos »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Batraxos wrote:I'm Beth.
I'm a librarian, but I work in jail (as a librarian). Best job ever! (most of the time)
How long you in for?
About ten years and counting between the prison and the jail.
alietr wrote: Until she manages to use a rock hammer to chip through the wall behind the poster.
The rock hammer didn't work, as the walls are mostly metal, and I can only use the blow torch in the winter when the smell of the furnace masks the aroma.
Batraxos
Multiple Swimmer

Post by Batraxos »

dhkendall wrote:
Batraxos wrote:I'm Beth.
I'm a librarian, but I work in jail (as a librarian). Best job ever! (most of the time)
I'm assuming this is the most checked out (but seldom returned) book in her library.
Not yet, but maybe soon...
What an awesome book title!
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

Batraxos wrote:
I've stood in the eye of a hurricane, driven the rim of an active volcano, escaped an avalanche, ridden a bull...
Was it 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu?
@caknuck
DefCon4
Contributor

Post by DefCon4 »

Hi! My name is Vivek Srikrishnan, and I'm a 33 year old graduate student at Penn State, originally from the Hudson Valley. Long time lurker (at least for the 10 months since my audition), and it's been a very educational experience to read the game reaction threads and other commentary.

I've been watching Jeopardy since I was a little kid, and I got The Call in December, so my last few weeks have been hectic (but fun). This board got me to track my Coryats and practice my wagering, so you've been invaluable.

I study energy engineering; I'm particularly interested in problems related to grid management such as capacity expansion under policy uncertainty and integration and forecasting of renewables. Otherwise, I've almost been run over by a herd of buffalo, enjoy cooking and working out, and obsessively do crosswords to wake myself up in the morning.
konstava
Contributor

Post by konstava »

Hi, my name is Konstantin. I live in NYC. Grew up watching Game Shows & happy to join the community.
Will be taking the January Online Tests & wishing luck to everyone!

However, it's very upsetting that the fate of the ppl who pass the test is on some computer program that randomly selects ppl for the next round of casting.
There must be a better solution. However, it is what it is.

Wish luck to all!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Hello jboard, my name is John and I live in NJ and work in Manhattan. I've passed the online test twice but have yet to get called to be on the show. I'm a big bar trivia fan and frequent TriviaNYC events. I do best in categories about literature, US History, Crossword Clues, TV, and Sports. If I ever do get the call, I'm going to have to bone up on Opera, Geography (especially Bodies of Water), and the sciences.

I've been lurking on this board for awhile but I signed up to beg for a favor and get into LL. I'm going to stick around and contribute where I can. Thanks to the mods for providing this excellent place to discuss my favorite show.
thethirdmoose
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by thethirdmoose »

Hi everyone, I'm a graduate student at UIUC who just got an email about the Jeopardy audition in San Francisco! I'm pretty excited, and I'm trying to branch out from pop culture, science, TV, and history to things like "art" and "literature". I've been lurking for a while and am super excited to jump in and prepare for the audition!!
DefCon4
Contributor

Post by DefCon4 »

thethirdmoose wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a graduate student at UIUC who just got an email about the Jeopardy audition in San Francisco! I'm pretty excited, and I'm trying to branch out from pop culture, science, TV, and history to things like "art" and "literature". I've been lurking for a while and am super excited to jump in and prepare for the audition!!
Nice! I did my undergrad at UIUC.
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

Last bit of contact before a bit of radio silence (since my episode airs tomorrow)...

Your 2016 version of a freak stuck in a slightly-too-normal IT helpdesk life here - Native New Yorker of the hip-hop era (WHERE BROOKLYN AT??) who travelled around and ended up in the arms of an aging hippie entrancing me to the wilds of southwest Wisconsin.

Receiving a bunch of tickets via lottery to attend the 2008 College Championship tapings at UW-Madison 60 miles from my front door (the last one recorded on a college campus - was the April snow on the taping dates too much for some in the crew??) reunited me with the J!, but it still took me a few more years to get up the courage to take the test. Once I did in January 2014, it got a little accelerated (in that tomorrow's airing with me included falls on the one-year anniversary of my finally getting The Call!).

I DON'T TRACK, and it may show on the air. I'm mathematically inclined enough that I hope I don't disappoint in the wager side of things. Wish me luck, and the same to all of you!!
Last edited by TreeOfHeaven on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TreeOfHeaven wrote:WHERE BROOKLYN AT??
It's where I was born, so I'm obviously rooting for you. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Meh. Brooklyn's just some place that's in the way of getting to the Island.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

alietr wrote:Meh. Brooklyn's just some place that's in the way of getting to the Island.
Staten Island, you mean, right? :D I often explain my hometown borough as "Brooklyn Lite".

Retro luck, Tree!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MitchO wrote:
alietr wrote:Meh. Brooklyn's just some place that's in the way of getting to the Island.
Staten Island, you mean, right? :D
That goes without saying (to include SI, that is).
brit67chick

Post by brit67chick »

I'm from Florida, but since moving from England (in 93), I've lived in upstate NY and Colorado. I'm currently a mathematician, but I've held many jobs, from electrician in the US Navy to working in a factory making matchbox cars. I've marched in the Mardi Gras parade, owned a sled dog racing team, and the one time I appeared on TV (on a local auction program) I managed to looked like Morticia Adams (very pale skin and I wore all black, something I'll never do again!).

Glad I found this board. Seems like a wealth of information and friendly people. I've been lurking for months :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

brit67chick wrote:to working in a factory making matchbox cars.
Be still my heart ...
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

brit67chick wrote:I'm from Florida, but since moving from England (in 93), I've lived in upstate NY and Colorado. I'm currently a mathematician, but I've held many jobs, from electrician in the US Navy to working in a factory making matchbox cars. I've marched in the Mardi Gras parade, owned a sled dog racing team, and the one time I appeared on TV (on a local auction program) I managed to looked like Morticia Adams (very pale skin and I wore all black, something I'll never do again!).

Glad I found this board. Seems like a wealth of information and friendly people. I've been lurking for months :)
I'm also a mathematician, and I live in Florida, but I was born and raised in Canada. And I like sled dogs, but I don't currently own any.
dangold
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dangold »

Hey, I'm Dan Goldman, from Bedminster, NJ. I was a contestant on April 3, 1996, Season 12, Game #2678.
I did not win, but I always tell people that every question I managed to buzz in on I answered correctly. (But alas, not Final Jeopardy.) David Sampugnaro had won two games already, and went on to become a five-day champion. His buzzer technique was unbeatable.
I just had my videotape of the episode digitized, so I can send the file to the J-Archive archivists. (This particular episode has heretofore been "missing.") Anyone know the best way to get in touch with them?
I look forward to being part of the discussions here.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dangold wrote:Hey, I'm Dan Goldman, from Bedminster, NJ. I was a contestant on April 3, 1996, Season 12, Game #2678.
I did not win, but I always tell people that every question I managed to buzz in on I answered correctly. (But alas, not Final Jeopardy.) David Sampugnaro had won two games already, and went on to become a five-day champion. His buzzer technique was unbeatable.
I just had my videotape of the episode digitized, so I can send the file to the J-Archive archivists. (This particular episode has heretofore been "missing.") Anyone know the best way to get in touch with them?
The Archivists are mostly regulars here. I am part of the team and can provide you with a location to upload your episode. I think you may need 3 posts before you have PM privileges. PM me as soon as that happens.

Oh, and welcome!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:
dangold wrote:Hey, I'm Dan Goldman, from Bedminster, NJ. I was a contestant on April 3, 1996, Season 12, Game #2678.
The Archivists are mostly regulars here. I am part of the team and can provide you with a location to upload your episode. I think you may need 3 posts before you have PM privileges. PM me as soon as that happens.

Oh, and welcome!

Brian
He should have those privileges now.
jdgalt

Post by jdgalt »

I'm John, a tax professional from northern California. I've been a Jeopardy! fan since the original Art Fleming/Don Pardo version (and was quite annoyed when their anniversary show pretended that version didn't exist).

I have not been a contestant yet, but will be taking the online test next week.