Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

Hi,
I was also PowerofHoodoo on the Sony board. After being told by friends and my husband (repeatedly) that I should try out for Jeopardy, I signed up for the online test in 2007. Being a Mac user, I assumed the test would not be compatible. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) there was no problem, and I did well enough to audition in Chicago. Why do all these contestants talk about multiple attempts to qualify? Well, I found out. In odd-numbered years I take the test and audition (2009 in Chicago and 2011 in DC) and cling to delusional hopes of receiving the call; in even-numbered years I grumble at every triple stumper that I can answer. And, when next eligible, I take the test again.

I grew up in North Dakota (unofficial state motto- "Our winters keep the riffraff out") and now live in Ohio (Round at the ends and high in the middle.) I love old movies (Google the phrase "Power of hoodoo") and cause my husband to roll his eyes when I repeat the same dumb jokes year after year. They'll have a hard time figuring out when I have dementia since I'm as amused the hundredth time I hear "Brother Shamus. Like an Irish monk?" as the first time. Favorite directors include Michael Powell (really The Archers for most titles), Preston Sturges, Hitchcock, Kubrick, and the Coen brothers. Favorite movies (not "films") include "Vertigo", "The Palm Beach Story", "The Third Man", and "The Big Lebowski."

I appreciate this new board, but I've been lazy about writing enough posts to be able to PM.
cool_hand
Valued Contributor

Post by cool_hand »

I missed the Jeopardy! board! It's so great to see it reconstituted here...

Anyway, I'm Phil Lueck, and I work as a newspaper copy editor in Eugene, Oregon. I'm a three-time swimmer in the contestant pool, but never a contestant (trying again in January, though), and I've been a fan of the show since I was a teenager. I'm a sports fan (Go Trail Blazers!) and a reader (I'm on the Mark Twain autobiography right now) and of course I enjoy watching the show and playing along...
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I’m Kurt Tazelaar, and I’m glad to have refound the community of J! fans whom I so enjoyed knowing and kibitzing with.

I live in Princeton NJ, and got back into the game during the Ken Jennings run (I can remember the Etruscans clues on the Fleming show from when I was a little kid). I work in a record store, and have various ongoing creative pursuits in music and paintings. I do a radio show every Saturday night from 10:00 to midnight on the local college station, it can be heard on the web at http://www.wprb.com/listen.php

I take the online test every year, and consistently fall a notch below passing. My one J! claim to fame is that a thread that I started on the old board was mentioned on an interview segment during the UTOC.
Serge
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Serge »

Howdy, all.

I'm Serge. My episode airs this Wednesday, Sept. 28. My main goal was to wear a nice outfit. My friend had to pick it out since I have no fashion sense. I had a great time taping. The group of contestants was so fun (to drink with afterwards). I'm glad to be on the boards!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Serge wrote:Howdy, all.

I'm Serge. My episode airs this Wednesday, Sept. 28. My main goal was to wear a nice outfit. My friend had to pick it out since I have no fashion sense. I had a great time taping. The group of contestants was so fun (to drink with afterwards). I'm glad to be on the boards!
That's my plan as well, if/when. Otherwise i'll end up looking like Røb
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Serge wrote:My main goal was to wear a nice outfit.
I bet you can guess what material I hope it was!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
Serge wrote:Howdy, all.

That's my plan as well, if/when. Otherwise i'll end up looking like Røb
Or which contestant was it that admitted the one suit he owned (the one he was wearing at that moment) was found in a dumpster?
harrumph wrote:My one J! claim to fame is that a thread that I started on the old board was mentioned on an interview segment during the UTOC.
Welcome back, harrumph! Which thread would that be?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

dhkendall wrote: Welcome back, harrumph! Which thread would that be?
It was the one that asked "If they made a movie of the UTOC who would play who?"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:Or which contestant was it that admitted the one suit he owned (the one he was wearing at that moment) was found in a dumpster?
Daniel Weissman, from Mark Wales game 2 (one of the best regular games ever, IMO).

"I've been meaning to get it dry-cleaned, but I haven't gotten around to it yet..."
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

Well, since I already said I have an airdate, I figure I should do a proper introduction. I'm Katie, a stay-at-home mom of three. I've wanted to be on Jeopardy! for as long as I can remember -- I took the test for the Teen Tournament in New Orleans 20 years ago in the days before the online test. Since I lived in SC at the time, it was a big deal for me.

I've taken the online test four times; the first two times I was asked to audition, but was within two weeks of my due date both times and was unable to travel. I took the test in 2010 but was distracted by a baby who wouldn't sleep and so didn't do very well. This year I felt good about it, but promptly forgot until April when I was asked to audition in DC at the end of May. Since that's an 8-hour drive, I turned it into a little mom-cation and figured that would be the end of it. I got The Call in July to tape in August.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to play! Hopefully I'll be brave enough to stop being a lurker and actually contribute to conversation around here.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

MDaunt wrote:Michael Daunt

5-time champ in 1995, TOC Finalist in 1996, International Tournament Winner in 1997, UTOC somethingist in 2005ish.

Have met Eugene Finerman and consider him to be the finest eyebrow*-waggler I know. Have lost to some of the best Jeopardy players ever (Michael Dupee, Jerome Vered).

I'm pretty sure I'm the first person from Saskatchewan to win on Jeopardy. Doug Hicton is another notable Saskabushian.

Right now, I live in Mexico.

* Singular
what are you doing in Mexico?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

JyV92 wrote:
MDaunt wrote:Michael Daunt

5-time champ in 1995, TOC Finalist in 1996, International Tournament Winner in 1997, UTOC somethingist in 2005ish.

Have met Eugene Finerman and consider him to be the finest eyebrow*-waggler I know. Have lost to some of the best Jeopardy players ever (Michael Dupee, Jerome Vered).

I'm pretty sure I'm the first person from Saskatchewan to win on Jeopardy. Doug Hicton is another notable Saskabushian.

Right now, I live in Mexico.

* Singular
what are you doing in Mexico?
Hiding from the RCMP?
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

I can't believe I am finding this just now.

Hello, I'm Chuck. I live in the Boston area. I have been watching Jeopardy since December 2008/January 2009. Before that, my show was Deal or No Deal, and I needed a new show to watch when that ended. I watched a few of Ken's episodes when they were on, but stopped watching once he lost. I decided I would invest in both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy when DOND ended, and in my opinion, Jeopardy is the more rewarding show of the two because of returning champions and the sky's the limit rule. Although I missed my fair share of J! moments, I did witness a few, like the runs of Stefan Goodreau, Roger Craig, and Joon Pahk. However, if I have make the show, I would most likely have my clock cleaned.

Another big interest of mine is sports. I am a huge Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox fan. Sports categories are my bread and butter when it comes to playing along, along with entertainment (my guilty pleasure).

Anyway, that is me in a nutshell.

Chuck
JPJepp
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JPJepp »

Hello JBoard:

Friends and family have told us that our daughters have been the subject of an answer/question pairing on Jeopardy on a couple of occasions.
The screen text was, apparently, “Autumn, Brooke, Calissa & Dahlia Jepp, born August 12, 2007 in Great Falls, Montana”.
Our daughters are identical quadruplets.
We would love to put a quality-resolution screen capture into the keepsake files for each girl.
Would anyone please be able to forward a screen capture (jpjepp@hotmail.com)?
To help, we believe the last time the answer/question was aired was approximately August 10, 2011.

We would normally have contacted the production company on this, but they seem to not want to be found.
Is this the best forum in JBoard to post this request? If not, where should we post?
Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,

J.P. and Karen Jepp
jpjepp@hotmail.com
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I kept my handle, immaf, from the old board. If one were to add punctuation and capitalization it would be I'm M.A.F.

I can't think of much to say about myself. It's hard to write a bio when you haven't got a life. But anyway:

Female
currently 51 years old
Born in Vermont, currently live in Massachusetts
B.S. in Physics from MIT
Started my working life as a semiconductor engineer
Currently work as a marketing writer for a software firm
I'm a soprano. Also an amateur actor.
I'm a major Gilbert & Sullivan nerd.
Have been in the Jeopardy! contestant pool 4 times, but am not right now
Teems with quiet fun.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JPJepp wrote:Friends and family have told us that our daughters have been the subject of an answer/question pairing on Jeopardy on a couple of occasions.
The screen text was, apparently, “Autumn, Brooke, Calissa & Dahlia Jepp, born August 12, 2007 in Great Falls, Montana”.
Our daughters are identical quadruplets.
It was the 11/17/10 show: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3507
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

I'm Laura from Iowa (iowabelle = Iowa + name of my cat). I finally found you guys again! What happened to our other group on the Sony board (especially since they referred people to that discussion)?

I tried out in Chicago last May but haven't heard anything. That's okay because I'm still studying. I get very happy when I look at a question and realize, I just read that!

I'm a currently unemployed lawyer, trying to figure out if I need to move out of Iowa. Voracious reader, very interested in history and very good at royalty if it's my category. I'm also a quilter and crafter, and caretaker of two elderly cats.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

iowabelle wrote:I'm a currently unemployed lawyer, trying to figure out if I need to move out of Iowa. Voracious reader, very interested in history and very good at royalty if it's my category. I'm also a quilter and crafter, and caretaker of two elderly cats.
You know the economy's in trouble when even lawyers can't find work ... (best wishes in your job search, iowabelle. Been there done that.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

What do you call 3 lawyers at the unemployment office?
?
?
?
A good start. ;)

Just kidding, just kidding, just a poor ripoff of an old lawyer joke, and I apologize for any offense felt by lawyers, or the unemployed, or those who work in an office, or those who tell old jokes.
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

Hello, J!Board! I'm Andrea, from Silicon Valley -- in high-tech, though finance/accounting rather than a technical field.

I'm a travel fiend (50 countries and counting; I love both cities and mountains) and I like to cook and to make my own liqueurs in fun flavors.

I mostly play via the J-Archive and am indebted to those who dedicate time and energy to it and to this board. I was sorry I didn't find y'all in time for the SHC, but played along at home for some of it -- thanks for all the fun, DoT!

I was a sporadic poster on the old board under the name Strait Talk, which came from the fact that I lived in Singapore at the time (name chosen before the John McCain connection, not meant to be a political statement).

And Swimming in the Pool, fingers crossed....