Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by AFRET CMS »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:01 am THE PERIODIC TABLE

The only country with two elements named after it
Spoiler
What is France? (francium, gallium)
A similar one, from an extra-credit question on a LONG, long-ago class final:

The only country with a town that has four elemental names based on the town's name.
Spoiler
What is Sweden? (yttrium, terbium, erbium, ytterbium, all based on the town of Ytterby where they were first found)
Spoiler
.... and I still remember I missed the question by answering "Switzerland." At least I got as far as the "Sw" without going to Swaziland.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm A similar one, from an extra-credit question on a LONG, long-ago class final:

The only country with a town that has four elemental names based on the town's name.
Spoiler
What is Sweden? (yttrium, terbium, erbium, ytterbium, all based on the town of Ytterby where they were first found)
Spoiler
.... and I still remember I missed the question by answering "Switzerland." At least I got as far as the "Sw" without going to Swaziland.
Good one, but probably too hard for Jeopardy.
Spoiler
I kept trying to make Berkelium, Lawrencium, Livermorium, and an element to be named later work somehow.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

Spoiler
quote=opusthepenguin post_id=334254 time=1591296108 user_id=695]
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm A similar one, from an extra-credit question on a LONG, long-ago class final:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I kept trying to make Berkelium, Lawrencium, Livermorium, and an element to be named later work somehow.
[/quote]

Glenn Seaborg (seaborgium) worked at Berkeley, so there's your fourth element...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:47 pm
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Glenn Seaborg (seaborgium) worked at Berkeley, so there's your fourth element...
Nice! There's an impossible FJ to be crafted around those four. Something about two place names associated with each other and two surnames associated with those places.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This was a million dollar question on Celebrity Who Wants to be a Millionaire last week: On the periodic table, there are four different elements named after what?

A. Antoine Lavoisier's pet cat
B. A moon of Neptune
C. Marie Curie's maiden name
D. A Swedish mining village
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:54 pm This was a million dollar question on Celebrity Who Wants to be a Millionaire last week: On the periodic table, there are four different elements named after what?

B. A moon of Neptune
Which one did the celebrity pick?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:47 am
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:54 pm This was a million dollar question on Celebrity Who Wants to be a Millionaire last week: On the periodic table, there are four different elements named after what?

B. A moon of Neptune
Which one did the celebrity pick?
She balked, took the 500K, and guessed A when it was safe after the lights came up.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

CLASSIC TV ACTORS

On his death in 1982 this actor was buried with full police honors in Los Angeles and LAPD badge No. 714 was retired.
correct response
Who is Jack Webb?
comment
Perhaps easier for older generations. Webb has only one mention in the J-archive in the last 8 years and his last as the correct response was in 2007.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

nserven wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:46 pm CLASSIC TV ACTORS

On his death in 1982 this actor was buried with full police honors in Los Angeles and LAPD badge No. 714 was retired.
correct response
Who is Jack Webb?
comment
Perhaps easier for older generations. Webb has only one mention in the J-archive in the last 8 years and his last as the correct response was in 2007.
Spoiler
I had "the actor who played Joe Friday", but no way was I going to get to Jack Webb, and for an age check, I was born in '77. Given the time span between the last correct response, perhaps he's been shot out of the J! canon?

It is, however, a very good J-style clue, since "cops, mysteries, and thrillers" seem to be a recurring motif.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

correct response
Who is Jack Webb?
comment
Born in '65. This one was a gimme. But I can imagine someone even a year or two younger not knowing the name at all.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:34 pm Born in '65. This one was a gimme. But I can imagine someone even a year or two younger not knowing the name at all.
'66. Still a gimme.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:34 pm

correct response
Who is Jack Webb?
comment
Born in '65. This one was a gimme. But I can imagine someone even a year or two younger not knowing the name at all.
Born in '80. Didn't have any trouble with it.
Spoiler
Thanks, Nick at Nite!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I might need a flame retardant suit for this one...
With Hint 1 feels like how I'd run with it, but since I can't take -away- information, you get hard mode first.

TOYS
This English girl first appeared on a coin purse between a milk bottle and a bowl with a goldfish
Hint 1
...first appeared in 1974...
Hint 2
...coin purse by Sanrio...
Answer
Hello Kitty. Yes, in her official bio, she's a girl, not a cat, and she lives outside London.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Born in 1967 and Webb was an instaget.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:11 am I might need a flame retardant suit for this one...
With Hint 1 feels like how I'd run with it, but since I can't take -away- information, you get hard mode first.

TOYS
This English girl first appeared on a coin purse between a milk bottle and a bowl with a goldfish
Hint 1
Hint 2
Answer
Hello Kitty. Yes, in her official bio, she's a girl, not a cat, and she lives outside London.
Didn’t know for sure, but got it without hints
Total game show career losings = $171,522
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:11 am I might need a flame retardant suit for this one...

TOYS
Hint 1
Hint 2
Answer
Spoiler
Plot twist: it was actually Mimmy, wearing one her sister's red bows! :lol:
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

BILLBOARD CHARTS

These two artists with the same first and last initials have each had eleven #1 albums on the Billboard 200
Spoiler
Who are Barbra Streisand and Bruce Springsteen?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

cheezguyty wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:46 pm BILLBOARD CHARTS

These two artists with the same first and last initials have each had eleven #1 albums on the Billboard 200
Spoiler
Good one!
Spoiler
I got there using the Third Law of Final Jeopardy: when presented with impressive musical achievements, start with Barbra Streisand and go from there.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler
I went Mariah Carey and Madonna (Ciccone).
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Spoiler
I settled on the first artist right away but had trouble matching with a second. The best I came up with was
Spoiler
Bob Seger
but that didn't sit right. The correct second didn't occur to me but even if it had I probably would've kept searching.