Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Picked Off »

LAST NAME'S THE SAME

ONE BORN IN 1937, THE OTHER IN 1945, THESE TWO AMERICAN PLAYWRIGHTS TOGETHER WON THREE PULITZER PRIZES FOR DRAMA
Spoiler
Who are Lanford and August Wilson?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

Picked Off wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:19 pm LAST NAME'S THE SAME

ONE BORN IN 1937, THE OTHER IN 1945, THESE TWO AMERICAN PLAYWRIGHTS TOGETHER WON THREE PULITZER PRIZES FOR DRAMA
Spoiler
Who are Lanford and August Wilson?
I said
Spoiler
Arthur and Jason Miller, even though I was pretty sure Arthur was born before 1937. TIL Arthur only won one PPD!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

LOGIC

This "test" of abductive reasoning by observing characteristics is named for this bird
Spoiler
What is a duck?
Spoiler
If it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, has feathers like a duck---it's a duck
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:32 pm This has "I DARE you to make a trivia question about it" just slathered all over it, so as otherwise obscure as it is, here we go:
Challenge accepted:

CATEGORY: LIFE IMITATES ART

In 2022, Jonathan Searle became the police chief of Oak Bluffs, the same location of this movie released 47 years earlier in which he played a child swimmer.
Spoiler
Jaws
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

THE FUNNIES

Dated May 27, 2000, in the final installment of this comic strip they reach land
Spoiler
What is Boner's Ark?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:29 pm THE FUNNIES

Dated May 27, 2000, in the final installment of this comic strip they reach land
Spoiler
What is Boner's Ark?
Spoiler
Huh. I don't know that I've ever heard of that one. It didn't run in the Cleveland paper (when I started reading the funnies) or the Baton Rouge Morning Advocate or State Times or the Orange County Register or the L.A. Times or the Durham Morning Herald or the Raleigh News and Observer or the Escondido Times Advocate or the San Diego Union or Tribune or Union-Tribune or the Kansas City Star. You'd think one of those would have had it, but as far as I recall, no.

Dang, I miss getting a daily paper.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:59 pm
Volante wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:32 pm This has "I DARE you to make a trivia question about it" just slathered all over it, so as otherwise obscure as it is, here we go:
Challenge accepted:

In 2022, Jonathan Searle became the police chief of Oak Bluffs, the same location of this movie released 47 years earlier in which he played a child swimmer.
Spoiler
Jaws
That's a well-written question. Kudos.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:50 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:59 pm
Challenge accepted:

Spoiler
Jaws
That's a well-written question. Kudos.
Thank you.

I've been practicing my writing... :mrgreen:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MLB GREATS

In his first game, he struck out Eddie Mathews; in his last game, he walked Ken Griffey Jr.
Spoiler
Who is Nolan Ryan?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mas3cf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:38 pm MLB GREATS

In his first game, he struck out Eddie Mathews; in his last game, he walked Ken Griffey Jr.
Spoiler
Who is Nolan Ryan?
That's good too. It feels like a "real" FJ, especially since I got it just by guessing a famous enough player who played a long time. :)

I was going to post one here about "the year of FDR's first Fireside Chat", a clue that boiled down to "what was FDR's first year as president", but it turns out he was giving similar speeches while he was governor of New York, so it would have suffered in the pinning. Ah well, better to start over than post a faulty question.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

POPULAR MUSIC

In a 1998 song, this musician stated "I ain't straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer".
Spoiler
Who is Kid Rock?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

POETRY AND HISTORY

These are the two objects referred to in the title of "The Convergence of the Twain", a poem written by Thomas Hardy for a 1912 charity event
Spoiler
What are the Titanic and the iceberg?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:06 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:38 pm MLB GREATS

Spoiler
Who is Nolan Ryan?
That's good too. It feels like a "real" FJ, especially since I got it just by guessing a famous enough player who played a long time. :)
Excellent! My aim was to have a couple avenues to a correct guess... you could have also gotten there by thinking of someone who struck out and walked a lot of people.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:34 pm POETRY AND HISTORY

These are the two objects referred to in the title of "The Convergence of the Twain", a poem written by Thomas Hardy for a 1912 charity event
Spoiler
What are the Titanic and the iceberg?
Nice! Got it right on a plausible guess which I assume would be the usual way in.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

U.S. PRESIDENTS

The total number of U.S. presidents who have held that office in exactly eight different calendar years
Spoiler
What is zero? (would have to be a little less than two full terms, but TR & Truman each succeeded in the same year that his predecessor began a term)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:10 pm U.S. PRESIDENTS

The total number of U.S. presidents who have held that office in exactly eight different calendar years
Spoiler
What is zero? (would have to be a little less than two full terms, but TR & Truman each succeeded in the same year that his predecessor began a term)
How about total number of U.S. presidents who have held that office in exactly 10 different calendar years?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

HISTORY AND POP MUSIC

A historian might refer to this 21st century Modern Rock hit as "AD 79" by 1789.
Spoiler
What is "Pompeii" by Bastille?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:56 pm HISTORY AND POP MUSIC

A historian might refer to this 21st century Modern Rock hit as "AD 79" by 1789.
Spoiler
Spoiler
I assume the title is all that's necessary? If so, I had two guesses and chose the wrong one. I'm not familiar with the song but I figured it had to be something called either Pompeii or Vesuvius. The latter seemed more musical, so I went with that. I can hear it to the (slightly adapted) tune of Laura Branigan's Gloria in my head.

If I'd had to name the group as well, I'd have been skunked. Never heard of them. I think I'd have been stuck in the US weighing possible band names like Constitution and George Washington. If I'd gone overseas, I might have tried Revolution but probably not Bastille.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:38 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:56 pm HISTORY AND POP MUSIC

Spoiler
Spoiler
I assume the title is all that's necessary? If so, I had two guesses and chose the wrong one. I'm not familiar with the song but I figured it had to be something called either Pompeii or Vesuvius. The latter seemed more musical, so I went with that. I can hear it to the (slightly adapted) tune of Laura Branigan's Gloria in my head.

If I'd had to name the group as well, I'd have been skunked. Never heard of them. I think I'd have been stuck in the US weighing possible band names like Constitution and George Washington. If I'd gone overseas, I might have tried Revolution but probably not Bastille.
Spoiler
Triumvirat did it first :ugeek:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

U.S. PRESIDENTS

One of two presidents to have the oath of office administered to him by a former president
Spoiler
Calvin Coolidge or Herbert Hoover - by William Howard Taft, a Harding appointee to the chief justice position.