Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:28 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:15 pm If Puerto Rico does become a state, we'll just have to get Ohio to move its capital to Cincinnati so we can still have an unambiguous correct response.
Then Nebraska moves its capital to Homer. Is that what you want?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam,_West_Virginia
What are you talking about? Adam West was born in the 20th century!
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:49 am U.S. STATE CAPITAL NAMESAKES

Of all the people after whom a state capital is named, he was born the earliest.
Spoiler
Who was St. Paul? (If PR were to become a state, the new correct response would be San Juan)
Spoiler
Portland, Maine's Press Herald published an article earlier this year which states that the derivation of Augusta is uncertain, and it gives Augustus Caesar as one of the possible namesakes.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:40 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:35 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:15 pm If Puerto Rico does become a state, we'll just have to get Ohio to move its capital to Cincinnati so we can still have an unambiguous correct response.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam,_West_Virginia
What are you talking about? Adam West was born in the 20th century!
That's what he wanted you to think
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've been to Homer, NE and Homer, AK.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

STATE CAPITALS

Both a U.S. state and its capital were named in reference to this same man.
Spoiler
Albany, New York. James II of England/VII of Scotland. He was the Duke of York in England and the Duke of Albany in Scotland.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:28 am STATE CAPITALS

Spoiler
Albany, New York. James II of England/VII of Scotland. He was the Duke of York in England and the Duke of Albany in Scotland.
Negged with Indiana Jones on that one.... :lol:
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:23 am

Spoiler
Negged with Indiana Jones on that one.... :lol:
We named the dog Indiana.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Spoiler
Not sure you asked the question you intended to ask given what you listed first as the answer.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Spoiler
Not sure you asked the question you intended to ask given what you listed first as the answer.
True. How about ... This U.S. state capital and its state were both named in reference to the same man.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Spoiler
This is basically the FJ clue that was used in game 2 of the finals of the 2004 college championship. It was a triple stumper.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CLASSIC MOVIES

Uncredited cast members of this film include Bob Coe, who was a flight instructor in WWII and owned a crop dusting business in California.
Spoiler
What is North by Northwest?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:58 am CLASSIC MOVIES

Uncredited cast members of this film include Bob Coe, who was a flight instructor in WWII and owned a crop dusting business in California.
Spoiler
Spoiler
The obvious guess turns out to be correct, but it's hard to gauge how many contestants would recognize which guess is obvious. Is it fair to call Bob a "cast member"? I don't recall if he's seen during the movie. If he's not, then it feels more like he's in the same category as the guy operating King Kong's arm.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Spoiler
My first thought was Independence Day, which has a crop duster as a fairly major character. After looking back at the category and briefly pondering hmm I bet there are kids today who would call Independence Day a "classic movie", I eventually made the leap to the correct response.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:05 am

Spoiler
Spoiler
The obvious guess turns out to be correct, but it's hard to gauge how many contestants would recognize which guess is obvious. Is it fair to call Bob a "cast member"? I don't recall if he's seen during the movie. If he's not, then it feels more like he's in the same category as the guy operating King Kong's arm.
Spoiler
You can see his head briefly at points during the famous scene, and IMDB lists him as a cast member.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES

The most recent Democratic presidential nominee who is not still alive as of December 23, 2020.
Spoiler
Who is George McGovern?
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:39 am

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
You can see his head briefly at points during the famous scene, and IMDB lists him as a cast member.
I generally find IMDB only slightly more authoritative than wikiipedia :D
davey

Post by davey »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:35 am
mas3cf wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:39 am

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I generally find IMDB only slightly more authoritative than wikiipedia :D
Research doesn't have to end at either place-
Spoiler
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:25 am

Spoiler
My first thought was Independence Day, which has a crop duster as a fairly major character. After looking back at the category and briefly pondering hmm I bet there are kids today who would call Independence Day a "classic movie", I eventually made the leap to the correct response.
By the time ID came out, credit rolls were more complete. There were even eight crew credited as pilots.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116629/reference

That's a bit insidey baseball though. Also not likely a classic in the J! canon sense. (I'd say it wouldn't be incorrect to call it a classic in general, though. 24 years old, and the SFX work is incredible. National Film Registry hasn't recognized it yet, but they also only put in Clockwork this year, too)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:58 am

Spoiler
By the time ID came out, credit rolls were more complete. There were even eight crew credited as pilots.

That's a bit insidey baseball though. Also not likely a classic in the J! canon sense. (I'd say it wouldn't be incorrect to call it a classic in general, though. 24 years old, and the SFX work is incredible. National Film Registry hasn't recognized it yet, but they also only put in Clockwork this year, too)
Additionally, although this isn't airtight logic, which is more likely to have a WWII flight instructor flying a plane, a movie that came out in 1996, or one that came out in 1959?
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:58 am

Spoiler

Additionally, although this isn't airtight logic, which is more likely to have a WWII flight instructor flying a plane, a movie that came out in 1996, or one that came out in 1959?
I, too, initially went to ID but that was the thing that convinced me that that wasn't it.
Spoiler
Didn't come up with North by Northwest, though, despite its theme music being the best use of 3/8 time ever (and also my favorite Eva Marie Saint--who wonderfully is still with us--role).