Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nominated for an Oscar in 1970, this actor is reprising a role in a 2019 film that he first performed in a 1994 film of the same name

If the J! writers were to make it a FJ! clue then they would probably do it with the math variety they like to use of 2019 and 25 years after.

My coin landed here over posting in current events. If someone thinks it is worth it over there as well then beside the correct response of
Spoiler
James Earl Jones, voicing Mufasa again, there is also Donald Glover voicing Simba & Beyonce voicing Nala.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:43 pm Nominated for an Oscar in 1970, this actor is reprising a role in a 2019 film that he first performed in a 1994 film of the same name

If the J! writers were to make it a FJ! clue then they would probably do it with the math variety they like to use of 2019 and 25 years after.

My coin landed here over posting in current events. If someone thinks it is worth it over there as well then beside the correct response of
Spoiler
James Earl Jones, voicing Mufasa again, there is also Donald Glover voicing Simba & Beyonce voicing Nala.
Related:

James Earl Jones and Madge Sinclair played an African king and queen in these 2 films, one from 1988, the other from 1994
Spoiler
What are Coming to America and The Lion King?
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

(made-up)

TELEVISION

The opening chords of this TV series' theme song was derived from the 1946 movie The Killers
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category: FASHION

Clue: A play on her initials, this Oscar-winning actress has a clothing line, DubGee

Correct response:
Spoiler
Whoopi Goldberg
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

From November 30, 1992:

On his 1986 death he was called "arguably the only white jazz player to be the best on his instrument".
Spoiler
Benny Goodman
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Original content:

MUSICALS

The title character in this musical has a girlfriend named Dot.

Slightly easier version, with clue:
Spoiler
The title character in this Sondheim musical has a girlfriend named Dot.
Answer:
Spoiler
Sunday in the Park with George, featuring "George" Seurat, famous for pointillism
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:34 pm Original content:

MUSICALS

The title character in this musical has a girlfriend named Dot.

Slightly easier version, with clue:
Spoiler
The title character in this Sondheim musical has a girlfriend named Dot.
Answer:
Spoiler
Sunday in the Park with George, featuring "George" Seurat, famous for pointillism
I admire this clue in retrospect. It's totally one where I have to see the answer before I realize I could have reasoned my way to it.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

HISTORICAL NAMES

In 1779, 16-year-old Marie Josèphe Rose Tascher de la Pagerie traveled from Martinique to France to marry this man who was guillotined in 1794
Spoiler
Who is Alexandre de Beauharnais?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 pm HISTORICAL NAMES

In 1779, 16-year-old Marie Josèphe Rose Tascher de la Pagerie traveled from Martinique to France to marry this man who was guillotined in 1794
Spoiler
Who is Alexandre de Beauharnais?
That's a tough clue, but I'm pretty proud of at least recognizing
Spoiler
Josephine from Martinique. (This was her first hubby, before Napoleon.)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

DESCRIPTIVE NAMES

This 9-letter word from Greek, normally a verb, is a fitting first name of the man who fathered Dennis Rodman and at least 25 other children.
Spoiler
Philander
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:26 am DESCRIPTIVE NAMES

This 9-letter word from Greek, normally a verb, is a fitting first name of the man who fathered Dennis Rodman and at least 25 other children.
Spoiler
Philander
The best I could guess in the moment was "Procreate."
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:40 am

Spoiler
Philander
The best I could guess in the moment was "Procreate."
I actually knew it; I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spoiler
Philander
I did not know that trivium. Thank you. That said, I bet they wouldn't let this clue on the show. A little too spicy and it throws some shade at a living person and his powerful relative.

[EDIT: should've checked the archive first. Back in 2000 we saw this clue

#3638, aired 2000-05-31 "PHIL" IN THE ____ $1000: Dennis Rodman's father, who reportedly has 27 children, has the first name ____, which means "to womanize"

That might be a skosh tamer in that it doesn't moralize on the name being "fitting". But it's pretty similar.]

Tangent: What's the spiciest and/or shade-throwingest clue anyone can remember that did make it to air? A quick check tells me they never talked about Slick Willie except to refer to the "original" of that name, bank robber Willie Sutton. But Tricky Dick has been fair game since November 1997 (three and a half years after Nixon's death).
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Not only did the show already have the clue, they one-upped it with the great category gimmick "PHIL" IN THE ____ !
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Tangent: What's the spiciest and/or shade-throwingest clue anyone can remember that did make it to air? A quick check tells me they never talked about Slick Willie except to refer to the "original" of that name, bank robber Willie Sutton. But Tricky Dick has been fair game since November 1997 (three and a half years after Nixon's death).
Even though I see they've done it 7 times since 2011, I'm always surprised when they refer to the musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch...considering what the "inch" signifies... ;)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This season, on October 1, with the category NO FILTER, "This ever-quotable man put in a brief but memorable 10 days in 2017 as White House communications director". I remember watching and being mildly surprised that Alex accepted "The Mooch".

As for Philander himself? His tale gets even weirder. Apparently he ran off to the Philippines, and even without ever meeting Dennis until 2012, he had widely capitalized on his son's fame, opening a restaurant called Rodman's Rainbow Obamaburger (not a typo) with the #91 jersey prominently on display, and introducing himself as Dennis's father. Hamburgers there are available in red, green, and yellow, an homage to Dennis's hair colorings.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

davey wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Even though I see they've done it 7 times since 2011, I'm always surprised when they refer to the musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch...considering what the "inch" signifies... ;)
Chuck Berry's Ding-a-Ling has two hits (though most recently in 2002).
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

BEST PICTURE OSCAR NOMINEES

These two men were each the subject of a different 1942 Best Picture-nominated film with "Yankee" in its title
Spoiler
Who are Lou Gehrig and George M. Cohan?
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Popular Music

In 1955, three versions of this song from a movie charted in the Top 10, but the most famous was performed ten years later
Spoiler
by the Righteous Brothers
Spoiler
unchained melody
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 pm BEST PICTURE OSCAR NOMINEES

These two men were each the subject of a different 1942 Best Picture-nominated film with "Yankee" in its title
Spoiler
Who are Lou Gehrig and George M. Cohan?
I like it. Way too complex for regular game play. And too much even for a DD. But with FJ time at my disposal I was able to put it all together. This is what an FJ clue should be. (Still, outside a TOC or similar, I'm predicting most contestants would miss it. Which makes it the perfect FJ for my first game when I'm almost but not quite locked out.)