Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:49 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 pm
I stole this one from the Car Talk guys. Might be too tough as is but I'm not sure how to reword it without giving the game away.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

YANKEE STADIUM'S MONUMENT PARK HAS MEMORABILIA FOR MANY FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR THREE FORMER CARDINALS WHO DREW LARGE CROWDS. NAME ONE OF THEM.
Spoiler
At the end of the music, Alex says, "This was a tough one. Maybe it would have helped if we'd told you that the former cardinals all celebrated Mass at the stadium..."
Spoiler
Pope Paul VI, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI
Spoiler
Fun misdirection. I went that route, but didn't think far enough to get to Popes. I came up with Spellman and Dolan as well-known New York Cardinals but that's as far as I got.
I just thought of a wording that might make this clue more gettable without making it too easy. I've edited the original post to include the easier wording in spoilers.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1896
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 pm
I stole this one from the Car Talk guys. Might be too tough as is but I'm not sure how to reword it without giving the game away.

EDIT: I think I may have solved the rewording problem. Try the spoilered easier version if nothing comes to you.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

YANKEE STADIUM'S MONUMENT PARK HAS MEMORABILIA FOR MANY FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR THREE FORMER CARDINALS WHO DREW LARGE CROWDS. NAME ONE OF THEM.
Easier version of clue
YANKEE STADIUM HAS MEMORABILIA FOR FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR 3 FORMER CARDINALS WITH MASS APPEAL. NAME ONE.
Spoiler
At the end of the music, Alex says, "This was a tough one. Maybe it would have helped if we'd told you that the former cardinals had "mass appeal" because they all celebrated Mass at the stadium..."
Spoiler
Pope Paul VI, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI
got it on the hard one, like the wording of the easier one
Total game show career losings = $171,522

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6962
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 pm
I stole this one from the Car Talk guys. Might be too tough as is but I'm not sure how to reword it without giving the game away.

EDIT: I think I may have solved the rewording problem. Try the spoilered easier version if nothing comes to you.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

YANKEE STADIUM'S MONUMENT PARK HAS MEMORABILIA FOR MANY FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR THREE FORMER CARDINALS WHO DREW LARGE CROWDS. NAME ONE OF THEM.
Easier version of clue
YANKEE STADIUM HAS MEMORABILIA FOR FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR 3 FORMER CARDINALS WITH MASS APPEAL. NAME ONE.
Spoiler
At the end of the music, Alex says, "This was a tough one. Maybe it would have helped if we'd told you that the former cardinals had "mass appeal" because they all celebrated Mass at the stadium..."
Spoiler
Pope Paul VI, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI
I got this because the only time I was ever in the negative on J!, it was for responding incorrectly to a pertinent clue about the earliest one.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf »

US PRESIDENTS

Clue 1: The only two presidents with different surnames starting with the same four letters
Spoiler
Who are Truman and Trump?
Clue 2: The only three presidents whose last names start with the same three letters
Spoiler
Who are WH Harrison, B Harrison, and Harding?

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Golf »

Unfortunately, the answer has zero to do with the given category. Changing the category to Stadiums or similar makes it a fair clue.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 pm
I stole this one from the Car Talk guys. Might be too tough as is but I'm not sure how to reword it without giving the game away.

EDIT: I think I may have solved the rewording problem. Try the spoilered easier version if nothing comes to you.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

YANKEE STADIUM'S MONUMENT PARK HAS MEMORABILIA FOR MANY FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR THREE FORMER CARDINALS WHO DREW LARGE CROWDS. NAME ONE OF THEM.
Easier version of clue
YANKEE STADIUM HAS MEMORABILIA FOR FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR 3 FORMER CARDINALS WITH MASS APPEAL. NAME ONE.
Spoiler
At the end of the music, Alex says, "This was a tough one. Maybe it would have helped if we'd told you that the former cardinals had "mass appeal" because they all celebrated Mass at the stadium..."
Spoiler
Pope Paul VI, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:02 pm
Unfortunately, the answer has zero to do with the given category. Changing the category to Stadiums or similar makes it a fair clue.
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 pm
I stole this one from the Car Talk guys. Might be too tough as is but I'm not sure how to reword it without giving the game away.

EDIT: I think I may have solved the rewording problem. Try the spoilered easier version if nothing comes to you.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

YANKEE STADIUM'S MONUMENT PARK HAS MEMORABILIA FOR MANY FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR THREE FORMER CARDINALS WHO DREW LARGE CROWDS. NAME ONE OF THEM.
Easier version of clue
YANKEE STADIUM HAS MEMORABILIA FOR FORMER YANKEES, BUT ALSO FOR 3 FORMER CARDINALS WITH MASS APPEAL. NAME ONE.
Spoiler
At the end of the music, Alex says, "This was a tough one. Maybe it would have helped if we'd told you that the former cardinals had "mass appeal" because they all celebrated Mass at the stadium..."
Spoiler
Pope Paul VI, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI

The show's not above that kind of sneakery. But I agree that STADIA is a good suggestion. 8-)

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:29 pm
US PRESIDENTS

Clue 1: The only two presidents with different surnames starting with the same four letters
Spoiler
Who are Truman and Trump?
Clue 2: The only three presidents whose last names start with the same three letters
Spoiler
Who are WH Harrison, B Harrison, and Harding?
You want them to come up with and write the names in 30 seconds? I'd make it on the first one but not the second. I'd recommend rewording both to ask for the letters. That allows more time to think through the possibilities and scrawl a last second response.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6962
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium »

WORLD CAPITALS

Six national capitals, five on islands and one on the southern coast of West Africa, begin with these four letters.
Spoiler
What is Port? (Port-au-Prince, Port Louis, Port Moresby, Port of Spain, Porto-Novo, and Port Vila: capitals of Haiti, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Trinidad and Tobago, Benin, and Vanuatu respectively)
edited thanks to cheezguyty below
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by cf1140 »

US PRESIDENTS

Born on October 5, 1829, he was born the furthest north of any President
Spoiler
Chester Arthur

GEOGRAPHIC HOMOPHONES

The capital city of the Cayman Islands is a homophone of the capital city of this country
Spoiler
Guyana

SHAKESPEARE'S TRAJEDIES

This play has multiple scenes set in Wales
Spoiler
Cymbeline

Though these may be off because I didn't triple check any research

User avatar
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by cheezguyty »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:04 pm
WORLD CAPITALS

Five national capitals, four on islands and one on the southern coast of West Africa, begin with these four letters.
Spoiler
What is Port? (Port-au-Prince, Port Moresby, Port of Spain, Porto-Novo, and Port Vila: capitals of Haiti, Papua New Guinea, Trinidad and Tobago, Benin, and Vanuatu respectively)
There's a fifth one on an island...
Spoiler
Port Louis, Mauritius

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6962
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:51 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:04 pm
WORLD CAPITALS

Five national capitals, four on islands and one on the southern coast of West Africa, begin with these four letters.
Spoiler
What is Port? (Port-au-Prince, Port Moresby, Port of Spain, Porto-Novo, and Port Vila: capitals of Haiti, Papua New Guinea, Trinidad and Tobago, Benin, and Vanuatu respectively)
There's a fifth one on an island...
Spoiler
Port Louis, Mauritius
Thanks, I had four off the top of my head, checked an alphabetical list because I thought I was missing one, saw two that I had been missing, and cut it back down to one. I'll edit.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:04 pm
WORLD CAPITALS

Six national capitals, five on islands and one on the southern coast of West Africa, begin with these four letters.
Spoiler
What is Port? (Port-au-Prince, Port Louis, Port Moresby, Port of Spain, Porto-Novo, and Port Vila: capitals of Haiti, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Trinidad and Tobago, Benin, and Vanuatu respectively)
edited thanks to cheezguyty below
Nice! Wouldn't be surprised to see this one go TS in a regular game, though I think it's fair even in that context. I'd schedule it for the first game of a TOC final. Even there I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one miss, thus providing a merit-based advantage to any player who gets it.

I'm pretty sure I'd whiff on this one under the lights, at least with my current level of preparation. But World Capitals is definitely on the list of things to swot up, so maybe I'd do better on Game Day. Here at home I flailed a bit, realizing the only African capital I knew for sure in that region was Monrovia and MONR didn't seem a likely candidate. So I made a desperation move to islands, quickly rejected BASS, and stumbled on Port-au-Prince as my second thought. PORT seemed really promising so I mentally wrote it down. I wasn't 100% confident when I clicked to reveal the spoiler, but I had a good feeling.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1716
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by boson »

cheezguyty wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:51 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:04 pm
WORLD CAPITALS

Five national capitals, four on islands and one on the southern coast of West Africa, begin with these four letters.
Spoiler
What is Port? (Port-au-Prince, Port Moresby, Port of Spain, Porto-Novo, and Port Vila: capitals of Haiti, Papua New Guinea, Trinidad and Tobago, Benin, and Vanuatu respectively)
There's a fifth one on an island...
Spoiler
Port Louis, Mauritius
I negged with
Spoiler
saint :
St. George's, Grenada ; St. Helier Jersey; St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda; St. Peter, Port Guernsey; St. Pierre, St. Pierre and Miquelon

From Wikipedia. Calling some of these national capitals is a bit of a stretch, and there certainly isn't one in West Africa.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

WORLD CAPITALS

The two alphabetically first world capitals, one in the Middle East, one in West Africa, begin with these three letters
Spoiler
ABU (for Abu Dhabi, UAE and Abuja, Nigeria)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6962
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:09 am
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:04 pm
WORLD CAPITALS

Six national capitals, five on islands and one on the southern coast of West Africa, begin with these four letters.
Spoiler
What is Port? (Port-au-Prince, Port Louis, Port Moresby, Port of Spain, Porto-Novo, and Port Vila: capitals of Haiti, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Trinidad and Tobago, Benin, and Vanuatu respectively)
edited thanks to cheezguyty below
Nice! Wouldn't be surprised to see this one go TS in a regular game, though I think it's fair even in that context. I'd schedule it for the first game of a TOC final. Even there I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one miss, thus providing a merit-based advantage to any player who gets it.

I'm pretty sure I'd whiff on this one under the lights, at least with my current level of preparation. But World Capitals is definitely on the list of things to swot up, so maybe I'd do better on Game Day. Here at home I flailed a bit, realizing the only African capital I knew for sure in that region was Monrovia and MONR didn't seem a likely candidate. So I made a desperation move to islands, quickly rejected BASS, and stumbled on Port-au-Prince as my second thought. PORT seemed really promising so I mentally wrote it down. I wasn't 100% confident when I clicked to reveal the spoiler, but I had a good feeling.
I was hoping the mention of islands and coast would lead people to the correct response. Alternatively, I could ditch Benin and just say there are five island countries whose capitals start with this four-letter word. (I think it wouldn't be fair to say Porto-Novo started with the word "port.")

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by AFRET CMS »

cf1140 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:43 pm
SHAKESPEARE'S TRAJEDIES

This play has multiple scenes set in Wales
Spoiler
Cymbeline

Though these may be off because I didn't triple check any research
Spoiler
Richard II and at least one, possibly two, of the Henry IV plays also have several scenes in Wales.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7634
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:11 pm
cf1140 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:43 pm
SHAKESPEARE'S TRAJEDIES

This play has multiple scenes set in Wales

Though these may be off because I didn't triple check any research
Spoiler
Richard II and at least one, possibly two, of the Henry IV plays also have several scenes in Wales.
Spoiler
Good catch. The category limits us to TRAJEDIES, so we can't go with one of the Histories. But those would definitely be attractors or distractors to those who knew that detail.

Another attractor/distractor to anyone who knows almost nothing about Cymbeline may be King Lear. That's the one that got me, anyway. Lear is a Welsh name. It's not clear where the play takes place but I think it's probably the West Midlands of England rather than Wales. (Cair Lerion is the Old Welsh name for Leicester, a West Midlands city, because some legends say it was founded by Lear.) But it's not like the setting is described as DEFINITELY NOT WALES. So with 30 seconds to make a guess, Lear seemed at least close.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:51 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:11 pm
cf1140 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:43 pm
SHAKESPEARE'S TRAJEDIES

This play has multiple scenes set in Wales

Though these may be off because I didn't triple check any research
Spoiler
Richard II and at least one, possibly two, of the Henry IV plays also have several scenes in Wales.
Spoiler
Good catch. The category limits us to TRAJEDIES, so we can't go with one of the Histories. But those would definitely be attractors or distractors to those who knew that detail.

Another attractor/distractor to anyone who knows almost nothing about Cymbeline may be King Lear. That's the one that got me, anyway. Lear is a Welsh name. It's not clear where the play takes place but I think it's probably the West Midlands of England rather than Wales. (Cair Lerion is the Old Welsh name for Leicester, a West Midlands city, because some legends say it was founded by Lear.) But it's not like the setting is described as DEFINITELY NOT WALES. So with 30 seconds to make a guess, Lear seemed at least close.
Spoiler
Cymbeline is often said not to be a tragedy (is there a point to the misspelling?) and Richard II is usually called one.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf »

In honor of tonight's (May 22) category:

IVY LEAGUE GEOGRAPHY

From 1788-1790, it was the only one of the current Ivy League schools to not be located in a US state.
Spoiler
What is Brown? (Rhode Island was the last of the 13 colonies to achieve statehood)

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4719
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:22 am
WORLD CAPITALS

The two alphabetically first world capitals, one in the Middle East, one in West Africa, begin with these three letters
Spoiler
ABU (for Abu Dhabi, UAE and Abuja, Nigeria)
So easy a monkey could get it.

Post Reply