Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:40 pm
Euphonium wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:55 pm
RELIGION

Despite professing pacifism, the name of this religious group--many of whose members settled in Saskatchewan around the turn of the twentieth century--derives in part from a word meaning "fighter."
Spoiler
Who are the Doukhobors?
I suspect this get rate would be in the single digits.
Depends on whether you count the zero before the decimal point as a digit.

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Euphonium wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:55 pm
RELIGION

Despite professing pacifism, the name of this religious group--many of whose members settled in Saskatchewan around the turn of the twentieth century--derives in part from a word meaning "fighter."
Spoiler
Who are the Doukhobors?
While we're asking about things nobody has ever heard of:

MOLDOVA

The Beermaster Pub in Balti, Moldova is located on this street, at the end of Strada Celiuskin.
Spoiler
What is M. Sadovyanu Str.?

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I kind of feel like a baseline level of knowledge of the history of prairie Canada would get you to a coin flip at worst, and and if you also know that the Mennonites are named after a person then you've got it.

They haven't been exactly silent, especially through the first several decades of the 20th century when Doukhobors as a whole or some of their members were fairly regularly in the news for one reason or another.
There are zero decent, moral people who support the death penalty.

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Euphonium wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:20 am
I kind of feel like a baseline level of knowledge of the history of prairie Canada would get you to a coin flip at worst, and and if you also know that the Mennonites are named after a person then you've got it.

They haven't been exactly silent, especially through the first several decades of the 20th century when Doukhobors as a whole or some of their members were fairly regularly in the news for one reason or another.
Please refer to this clip for a sense of what baseline level of prairie Canadian history one can expect Jeopardy contestants to possess:

https://youtu.be/uAdDUD6L1nc

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

mas3cf wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:29 am
Euphonium wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:20 am

Please refer to this clip for a sense of what baseline level of prairie Canadian history one can expect Jeopardy contestants to possess:

https://youtu.be/uAdDUD6L1nc
Oh dear lord. I could see the TCH one being an issue because maybe you'd overthink it and think "Well, they said 'original terminus,' so maybe construction was interrupted for some reason and for a while it ended in like Winnipeg or Regina?," but, I mean, putting Edmonton in Ontario?

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

U.S. STATE CAPITAL NAMESAKES

Of all the people after whom a state capital is named, he was born the earliest.
Spoiler
Who was St. Paul? (If PR were to become a state, the new correct response would be San Juan)

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

mas3cf wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:49 am

Of all the people after whom a state capital is named, he was born the earliest.
Spoiler
Who was St. Paul? (If PR were to become a state, the new correct response would be San Juan)
The most recently born might be more obvious:
Spoiler
Joe Juneau, French-Canadian prospector, 1836-1899

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

mas3cf wrote:

Spoiler
Hot take: Actually it's Providence :)

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:07 pm
mas3cf wrote:

Spoiler
Hot take: Actually it's Providence :)
Ha! But, to make a wildly obscure joke, perhaps only via the communicatio idiomatum. Unless you think you can skate in under the eternal generation banner.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote:

Spoiler
Good one! But why...
Spoiler
Do you think John was older than Paul? I'd guess the reverse myself, but we don't have definitive info. I think you'd have to change the clue to "the two that were born earliest" or "one of the two".

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:41 pm
mas3cf wrote:

Spoiler
Good one! But why...
Spoiler
Do you think John was older than Paul? I'd guess the reverse myself, but we don't have definitive info. I think you'd have to change the clue to "the two that were born earliest" or "one of the two".
Spoiler
John the Baptist (namesake of San Juan) was born in BC, and St. Paul was born in 5 AD. Theoretically, one could reason that out because John the Baptist was Jesus's teacher, and Paul was his disciple.

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

mas3cf wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:54 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:41 pm
mas3cf wrote:

Spoiler
Good one! But why...
Spoiler
Spoiler
John the Baptist (namesake of San Juan) was born in BC, and St. Paul was born in 5 AD.
Spoiler
The dates for Paul are estimates at best, and it's possible he was born on either side of the divide.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
If PR were a state it would be a very unfair to clue to expect people to know John the Baptist was older than Paul. On a related note, is Columbus the second oldest?

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote:
Spoiler
John the Baptist (namesake of San Juan) was born in BC, and St. Paul was born in 5 AD. Theoretically, one could reason that out because John the Baptist was Jesus's teacher, and Paul was his disciple.
Spoiler
John the Baptist was only a few months older than Jesus. After Mary conceived Jesus, she went to visit her cousin Elizabeth. J the B leaped in his mother's womb at Mary's approach. That's when Elizabeth knew something special was up. To the extent there was a teacher-student relationship between the two, the Gospels present Jesus as the teacher.

Scripture doesn't address the question of Paul's age. We'd have to tie the clue to Church tradition on the subject, which might take it out of the realm of expected knowledge. I do take back my guess that Paul was likely older than John. I was thinking of John the Apostle. I didn't realize the Puerto Rican city was named for the other Saint John.

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
John the Baptist was only a few months older than Jesus. After Mary conceived Jesus, she went to visit her cousin Elizabeth. J the B leaped in his mother's womb at Mary's approach. That's when Elizabeth knew something special was up. To the extent there was a teacher-student relationship between the two, the Gospels present Jesus as the teacher.

Scripture doesn't address the question of Paul's age. We'd have to tie the clue to Church tradition on the subject, which might take it out of the realm of expected knowledge. I do take back my guess that Paul was likely older than John. I was thinking of John the Apostle. I didn't realize the Puerto Rican city was named for the other Saint John.
Spoiler
Fair enough, the good news is it's moot as long as PR is not a state. If that were to change, the "one of two" approach you suggested might be best.[

The other state capital named after an early saint, albeit very indirectly, is Helena. But she wasn't around until the 3rd century AD, so not close enough to confound things./spoiler]

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If Puerto Rico does become a state, we'll just have to get Ohio to move its capital to Cincinnati so we can still have an unambiguous correct response.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:15 pm
If Puerto Rico does become a state, we'll just have to get Ohio to move its capital to Cincinnati so we can still have an unambiguous correct response.
Then Nebraska moves its capital to Homer. Is that what you want?

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:28 pm
seaborgium wrote:
I know people on the Indianapolis City-County Council. A few phone calls and we could change the name of the city to Imhotepville. IMPD, IFD, and IPS wouldn't even have to change acronyms.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam,_West_Virginia

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam,_West_Virginia
I'll need some confirmation that it's named after THE Adam.

Never mind. This is a bad idea. Someone will just end up naming a town Lucy and I'll have to mute the entire Internet until the shouting dies down.