Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by triviawayne » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:03 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
Spoiler
Show
Got it from the years, have always loved her voice
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:29 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:03 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
Spoiler
Show
Got it from the years, have always loved her voice
Took me way too long to pull her name. There's a lot of clues there, but I may not have gotten her name in 30 seconds.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Ironhorse » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:04 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
I got the album immediately but had to work through the rest of the band to make sure.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:12 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
Got it in less than 10 seconds, but needed the British spelling TOM. I ain't great with music...

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by CasketRomance » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
got it with 2019 and being the 2nd time said person was inducted...not that many people to have been inducted multiple times

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Ironhorse » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 am

Here's a Sports Jeopardy Final:

This city has a road sign congratulating its champions in both NCAA Division I Men's basketball and AAA baseball within the last five years.
Spoiler
Show
What is Durham?
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Lefty » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:09 am

Is this too big? Anyway, please remember the category which is simply PAINTERS:

Painter of the following, a character who burnt her candle at both ends and gleaned what she sowed:Image
I'm smart and I want respect.

talkingaway
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by talkingaway » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:24 am

Ironhorse wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:04 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
I got the album immediately but had to work through the rest of the band to make sure.
You know, that wasn't my intention...but it's interesting that it's another completely different type of neg I hadn't thought about.
Spoiler
Show
The original intention was to give clues involving an American singer (Stevie Nicks) with a British-titled album (Rumours), leading to the response of "Fleetwood Mac", since they're a British-American hybrid band, which is moderately rare. But I wanted something to pin the question, and using accolades is a convenient way to do that - just like they did with the Barbra Streisand question as being the #1 "Greatest Woman Artist of all Time" per Billboard. Stevie Nicks being a double HoF nominee seemed an easy way to do that - and it (unintentionally, but helpfully) eliminated Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham, which I'm guessing were the negs for you. AFAIK, the most notable solo career from Fleetwood Mac is Stevie Nicks.

Difficulty could be increased by an order of magnitude by either replacing "1998 and 2019" to "twice", or by changing the 1977 year to "in the 1970s", or eliminating the year altogether. There can't be too many one word album titles that are uniquely British in spelling. Or it could be softened by introducing the fact that Stevie Nicks is the first female double nominee.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:18 am

Lefty wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:09 am
PAINTERS:

Painter of the following, a character who burnt her candle at both ends and gleaned what she sowed:
Who is Sir John Everett Milais?(Not to be confused by Edna St. Vincent Millay nor Jean-Francois Millet.)
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 129.7k games
Alpaca Farm: 1316 quizzes

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by triviawayne » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
got it with 2019 and being the 2nd time said person was inducted...not that many people to have been inducted multiple times

21
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:14 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

This American singer and songwriter, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 and 2019, sang on Billboard's Album of the Year in 1977, which featured a one word title with a British spelling.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Stevie Nicks?

Inducted as part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998, and as a solo artist in 2019, with the 1977 Album of the Year being Rumours. TOM being the British/American connection, with Foreigner and The Pretenders being perhaps reasonable across-the-pond negs for bands with prominent British and American members.
got it with 2019 and being the 2nd time said person was inducted...not that many people to have been inducted multiple times

21
actually...it is 22...like i said...not that many...especially with the number of people who have been inducted

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:01 pm

TAKE AWAY A LETTER

Take away a "D" at the end of a Fort in France and you get this name for a member of a former Russian aristocratic order.
Spoiler
Show
What is Boyar?(From Boyard.)
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 129.7k games
Alpaca Farm: 1316 quizzes

User avatar
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by cheezguyty » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:48 pm

NAME'S THE SAME

Name shared by a Trojan War hero, a Thracian king killed by Hercules during one of his labors, and a saint who gave his name to Russia's easternmost island
Spoiler
Show
What is Diomedes?

User avatar
Shaquebanisa
Contributor
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 12:24 pm
Location: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Shaquebanisa » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:49 pm

COMPOUND WORDS

This 11-letter word for a sharp, often illegal type of weapon is one of the longest English words that doesn't repeat any letters
Spoiler
Show
What is "switchblade" ?

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by mas3cf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:18 am

AUTHORS

She is buried about 20 miles northwest of Charlottetown.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Lucy Maud Montgomery?

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Foretopman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 am

BEST PICTURE OSCARS

To date, 23 titles have started with the word "the". At three, this three letter word comes in second place.
Spoiler
Show
What is "All"?
Spoiler
Show
All Quiet on the Western Front
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by triviawayne » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am

Foretopman wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 am
BEST PICTURE OSCARS

To date, 23 titles have started with the word "the". At three, this three letter word comes in second place.
Spoiler
Show
What is "All"?
Spoiler
Show
All Quiet on the Western Front
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
Spoiler
Show
came up with "for" going with "A Man for All Seasons"...so that would be four times?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8161
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by econgator » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:52 am

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am
Foretopman wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 am
BEST PICTURE OSCARS

To date, 23 titles have started with the word "the". At three, this three letter word comes in second place.
Spoiler
Show
What is "All"?
Spoiler
Show
All Quiet on the Western Front
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
Spoiler
Show
came up with "for" going with "A Man for All Seasons"...so that would be four times?
"Started with"

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2400
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:52 am

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am
Foretopman wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 am
BEST PICTURE OSCARS

To date, 23 titles have started with the word "the". At three, this three letter word comes in second place.
Spoiler
Show
What is "All"?
Spoiler
Show
All Quiet on the Western Front
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
Spoiler
Show
came up with "for" going with "A Man for All Seasons"...so that would be four times?
Spoiler
Show
A Man for All Seasons doesn't start with the word "for"
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:43 pm

Foretopman wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 am
BEST PICTURE OSCARS

To date, 23 titles have started with the word "the". At three, this three letter word comes in second place.
Spoiler
Show
What is "All"?
Spoiler
Show
All Quiet on the Western Front
All the KIng's Men
All About Eve
Some of you may enjoy my quiz on a similar subject and/or find it helpful as a training exercise in thinking through Oscar winning film possibilities.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/opusthepe ... ommon-word

For those of you who avoid Sporcle due to the ads, I highly recommend AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin. Either browser extension will make Sporcle games completely playable.

Post Reply