Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2338
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote:BABY NAMES

One of two 4-letter names for boys ahead of Jacob on the Social Security's most popular baby names for 2013 list
Spoiler
Noah & Liam
Spoiler
I actually saw this on the news yesterday when I was waiting on my car while it was being worked on! I remembered Noah, but I had already forgotten about Liam.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7483
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by opusthepenguin »

StevenH wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:BABY NAMES

One of two 4-letter names for boys ahead of Jacob on the Social Security's most popular baby names for 2013 list
Spoiler
Noah & Liam
Spoiler
I actually saw this on the news yesterday when I was waiting on my car while it was being worked on! I remembered Noah, but I had already forgotten about Liam.
Spoiler
I don't know about the forgetting Liam, but you're in really good company on the other thing. (Q.v. Genesis 8:1).

User avatar
nserven
At the Clam Shack
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Greenfield, MA

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by nserven »

StevenH wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:BABY NAMES

One of two 4-letter names for boys ahead of Jacob on the Social Security's most popular baby names for 2013 list
Spoiler
Noah & Liam
Spoiler
I actually saw this on the news yesterday when I was waiting on my car while it was being worked on! I remembered Noah, but I had already forgotten about Liam.
Spoiler
Looks like they can dare to be seen together again.

User avatar
dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by dnbguy »

1990s POPULAR MUSIC

Between 1992 and 1995 three different bands had singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with this five-letter title

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6869
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium »

dnbguy wrote:1990s POPULAR MUSIC

Between 1992 and 1995 three different bands had singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with this five-letter title
Spoiler
What is "Creep"? (Radiohead, TLC, Stone Temple Pilots)

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by skullturf »

seaborgium wrote:
dnbguy wrote:1990s POPULAR MUSIC

Between 1992 and 1995 three different bands had singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with this five-letter title
Spoiler
What is "Creep"? (Radiohead, TLC, Stone Temple Pilots)
My guess was
Spoiler
"Crazy", but that might be incorrect. I thought of two popular songs from around that era with that title, but I couldn't think of a third. Also, it turns out that one of the two songs I thought of is actually from 1991.

link #1

link #2

User avatar
dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by dnbguy »

seaborgium wrote:
dnbguy wrote:1990s POPULAR MUSIC

Between 1992 and 1995 three different bands had singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with this five-letter title
Spoiler
What is "Creep"? (Radiohead, TLC, Stone Temple Pilots)
Yep! Thought of this while hearing one of these songs in the radio a little while back.
skullturf wrote:My guess was
Spoiler
"Crazy", but that might be incorrect. I thought of two popular songs from around that era with that title, but I couldn't think of a third. Also, it turns out that one of the two songs I thought of is actually from 1991.

link #1

link #2
That wasn't the answer I was thinking of, but if you removed the year restriction from the clue, there are six (!) other hit songs with that title:
Spoiler
I wonder if eight different hit songs with the same title is a record that can be topped?

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10846
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sometimes we discuss the difference between playing a FJ! clue on taping day and air date.

Category: BROADWAY

Clue: 1 of 2 stars for which Broadway dimmed its lights during the week of August 11th

This is easy today and would poll over 90%. By October the percentage would go down. By April 2015 it would catch even more of us.
Spoiler
Robin Williams or Lauren Bacall

User avatar
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

MarkBarrett wrote:Sometimes we discuss the difference between playing a FJ! clue on taping day and air date.

Category: BROADWAY

Clue: 1 of 2 stars for which Broadway dimmed its lights during the week of August 11th

This is easy today and would poll over 90%. By October the percentage would go down. By April 2015 it would catch even more of us.
Spoiler
Robin Williams or Lauren Bacall
Great question given the timeliness, something that is expected to make its way onto many quiz lists.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9819
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Bamaman »

Unless you happen to remember they died a day apart it would be very difficult to get correct after a period of time.

Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Tpmorrison »

I have one that I think is good that I made up, but I'd love to know people's feedback. Not sure of the difficulty level either.

Category: Recent Academy Award Nominees

Clue: In the last two years, the only movies to be nominated at least once in all four acting categories were both directed by this man.
Spoiler
Who is David O. Russell? (Silver Linings Playbook in 2013, American Hustle in 2014

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2338
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by StevenH »

Spoiler
Awesome clue! I knew it had to be the Silver Linings Playbook director, but I had no idea what the name was.

User avatar
nserven
At the Clam Shack
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Greenfield, MA

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by nserven »

According to The Oracle of Bacon, Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall have a Bacon Number of 2.

Their only connection is:
Spoiler
Barton Heyman, who appeared in Awakenings (1990) and had an uncredited role in Shock Treatment (1964).

Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Tpmorrison »

StevenH wrote:
Spoiler
Awesome clue! I knew it had to be the Silver Linings Playbook director, but I had no idea what the name was.
Thanks! Here's another one if anyone's interested:

Category: Literary Title Objects

Clue: In an 1891 novel, Basil Hallward paints this title object.
Spoiler
What is The Picture of Dorian Gray?

Hopefully 1891 would rule out A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6869
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by seaborgium »

Tpmorrison wrote:Category: Literary Title Objects

Clue: In an 1891 novel, Basil Hallward paints this title object.
Spoiler
What is The Picture of Dorian Gray?

Hopefully 1891 would rule out A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)
I don't think you need to be concerned about that last part; someone who doesn't know that title refers to the book itself should lose (money if not the game).

Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Tpmorrison »

seaborgium wrote:
Tpmorrison wrote:Category: Literary Title Objects

Clue: In an 1891 novel, Basil Hallward paints this title object.
Spoiler
What is The Picture of Dorian Gray?

Hopefully 1891 would rule out A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)
I don't think you need to be concerned about that last part; someone who doesn't know that title refers to the book itself should lose (money if not the game).
Ya actually that's a good point. Still, I think including the 1891 is good (or at least 19th century) just so people have some time frame to work off of. Thoughts on the difficulty level?

User avatar
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 am

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by lieph82 »

One of the only requirements for being a Jeopardy! writer is an obsession with Dorian Grey and Louis XIV, so you're definitely on the right track.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10846
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MarkBarrett »

Inspired by what happened yesterday:

SPORTS ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Cole Hamels and three relievers from this Major League team combined to pitch a no hitter on September 1, 2014 and were dubbed by the media as the "Phantasic Phour"

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by bpmod »

Inspired by what happened yesterday:

SPORTS ACCOMPLISHMENTS

The 'home' team of the first professional football game played on a construction site.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8776
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Inspired by what happened yesterday:

SPORTS ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Cole Hamels and three relievers from this Major League team combined to pitch a no hitter on September 1, 2014 and were dubbed by the media as the "Phantasic Phour"
Though I don't phollow sports, I"m guessing
Spoiler
What are the Phillies?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Post Reply