Page 34 of 60

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm
by talkingaway
NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are exact synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:23 pm
by opusthepenguin
econgator wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:58 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 am
If the former, Tellurium qualifies.
Pretty sure that was named after Edwurd Tellur.
Hur dee hur hur.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:25 pm
by Volante
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm
NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
I had
Spoiler
Sharks and Predators
I will concede it's not as clear cut but could be enough reasonable doubt...

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 pm
by talkingaway
Volante wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:25 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm
NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
I had
Spoiler
Sharks and Predators
I will concede it's not as clear cut but could be enough reasonable doubt...
Spoiler
To me, that’s like saying green is a synonym of color. A shark is a type of predator, but not the only one. Plus, there’s panthers, Bruins, Coyotes, ...and they’re all also Wild.

But I’ll tinker with it and add “exact”.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:59 pm
by Volante
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 pm
Volante wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:25 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm
NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
I had
Spoiler
Sharks and Predators
I will concede it's not as clear cut but could be enough reasonable doubt...
Spoiler
To me, that’s like saying green is a synonym of color. A shark is a type of predator, but not the only one. Plus, there’s panthers, Bruins, Coyotes, ...and they’re all also Wild.

But I’ll tinker with it and add “exact”.
Pinning is important...

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 pm
by seaborgium
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm
NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are exact synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
What are the Blues and the Sadness?

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 pm
by davey
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm
NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are exact synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
Spoiler
Aren't fliers the people who travel in jets? Or alternatively, sleds...

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 pm
by talkingaway
davey wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm
NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are exact synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
Spoiler
Aren't fliers the people who travel in jets? Or alternatively, sleds...
Y'know, I'm hating this question now that I think about it. Nevermind. The first pair has been running around my head as a potential question for weeks, but when looking at all the names, the second pair interfered.
Spoiler
I attempted to source it via looking up flyer/jet on thesaurus.com, which is a terrible reference because it had "jet" as a synonym for "flier", but not vice versa.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 am
by alietr
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm
NHL WORDPLAY

These two pairs of one- or two-word NHL team names (without the cities) are exact synonyms.

Pair 1:
Spoiler
What are the Canadiens and the Canucks? (Fans of le Club de hockey Canadien, this is why I said one or two words.)
Pair 2:
Spoiler
What are the Flyers and the Jets?

This is probably slightly too hard for 30 seconds. I might burn one response within the clue to make it a little easier, or ask for just one of the two pairs, to make it a lot easier.
What are the Blues and the Sadness?
The would make it the Blues and the Red Wings.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:11 am
by nserven
COLORFUL PHRASES

A Nov. 28, 1960 use of this 2-word phrase referred to “police officials forecasting record traffic jams, both vehicular and pedestrian.”
Spoiler
Black Friday

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:14 pm
by Picked Off
THE AFI TOP 100

Inspired by a Hollywood set, a restaurant by this name, near Rue Souss and Hassan II Mosque, opened in 2004.
Spoiler
]What is Rick's?

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:48 am
by heppm01
Picked Off wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:14 pm
THE AFI TOP 100

Inspired by a Hollywood set, a restaurant by this name, near Rue Souss and Hassan II Mosque, opened in 2004.
Spoiler
]What is Rick's?
Spoiler
I went with The Blue Parrot as thought for an FJ that Rick's was too obvious. Once you get to the correct movie it's really a coin flip.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am
by triviawayne
I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
which on the Billboard Hot 100 hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
any suggestions on the wording, especially regarding the full version?

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm
by talkingaway
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am
I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
which on the Billboard Hot 100 hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
any suggestions on the wording, especially regarding the full version?
Spoiler
Instaget with "pop song" and "Italian clown". Obviously, even "Italian astronomer" would have been enough, too. I literally never heard the "Figaro" in the lyrics until just now - I thought it just ping-ponged back and forth with Galileo the whole time. Figuring out the "Wayne's World" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" film connections would obviously be key.

Actually, I like just giving the "bonus" clue as the ONLY clue, but that's probably because I'm pretty good with historical/tv/musical timelines within (or just barely extending before, in this case) my own lifetime.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm
by AFRET CMS
talkingaway wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am
I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
which on the Billboard Hot 100 hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
any suggestions on the wording, especially regarding the full version?
Spoiler
Instaget with "pop song" and "Italian clown". Obviously, even "Italian astronomer" would have been enough, too. I literally never heard the "Figaro" in the lyrics until just now - I thought it just ping-ponged back and forth with Galileo the whole time. Figuring out the "Wayne's World" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" film connections would obviously be key.

Actually, I like just giving the "bonus" clue as the ONLY clue, but that's probably because I'm pretty good with historical/tv/musical timelines within (or just barely extending before, in this case) my own lifetime.
Spoiler
I also found the clue to be pretty quickly gettable, particularly with the recent movie still reasonably high in the public consciousness. As is, perhaps it could be a DD. Maybe pulling out some of the specifics like nationalities -- "a clown, an astronomer, and an operatic character all appear....." -- would give more need for a little think music.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm
by triviawayne
AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am
I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
which on the Billboard Hot 100 hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
any suggestions on the wording, especially regarding the full version?
Spoiler
Instaget with "pop song" and "Italian clown". Obviously, even "Italian astronomer" would have been enough, too. I literally never heard the "Figaro" in the lyrics until just now - I thought it just ping-ponged back and forth with Galileo the whole time. Figuring out the "Wayne's World" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" film connections would obviously be key.

Actually, I like just giving the "bonus" clue as the ONLY clue, but that's probably because I'm pretty good with historical/tv/musical timelines within (or just barely extending before, in this case) my own lifetime.
Spoiler
I also found the clue to be pretty quickly gettable, particularly with the recent movie still reasonably high in the public consciousness. As is, perhaps it could be a DD. Maybe pulling out some of the specifics like nationalities -- "a clown, an astronomer, and an operatic character all appear....." -- would give more need for a little think music.
Spoiler
i just might like that reduction in wordiness

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:20 pm
by twelvefootboy
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am
I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
which on the Billboard Hot 100 hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
any suggestions on the wording, especially regarding the full version?
Spoiler
Instaget with "pop song" and "Italian clown". Obviously, even "Italian astronomer" would have been enough, too. I literally never heard the "Figaro" in the lyrics until just now - I thought it just ping-ponged back and forth with Galileo the whole time. Figuring out the "Wayne's World" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" film connections would obviously be key.

Actually, I like just giving the "bonus" clue as the ONLY clue, but that's probably because I'm pretty good with historical/tv/musical timelines within (or just barely extending before, in this case) my own lifetime.
Spoiler
I also found the clue to be pretty quickly gettable, particularly with the recent movie still reasonably high in the public consciousness. As is, perhaps it could be a DD. Maybe pulling out some of the specifics like nationalities -- "a clown, an astronomer, and an operatic character all appear....." -- would give more need for a little think music.
Spoiler
i just might like that reduction in wordiness
(spoiler this, spoiler that, everything is a spoiler :)
Spoiler
FWIW, I didn't need all the years and billboard info, but I did need to know we aren't talking about Opera or Sonatas or something. The "Popular Songs" category might not be enough persuasion, but I can't speculate since I forgot to look at the category first.
But, I love the clue very much.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 pm
by opusthepenguin
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am
I'm not sure I like the wording, but I do like the extra information given in the first spoiler below (the 2nd spoiler is the answer):

POPULAR MUSIC

A 16th-century Italian clown, a 17th-century Italian astronomer, and an 18th-century fictional Spanish barber are all named in that order in one verse of this song,
Spoiler
which on the Billboard Hot 100 hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
Spoiler
Bohemian Rhapsody
any suggestions on the wording, especially regarding the full version?
I think you've got two separate very good clues there. The unspoilered part stands on its own as a clue and is quite gettable. (Maybe "18th and 19th century opera character" would be better than "fictional Spanish barber". I don't know. )

For wording on the other clue, maybe:
Spoiler
This Billboard Hot 100 song hit #9 in 1976, #2 in 1992, and #33 in 2018
That's a tough one and I probably wouldn't get it, but all the necessary info is there. If someone can think of a TOM that doesn't just give the game away, that might help.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:07 am
by Ironhorse
I can't find exact numbers or verification but it is tease-out-able so this is kind of a "just for fun" trivia question:

This division I college football team has been accused of unfairly benefiting from its average player age consistently being much older than other schools.
Spoiler
What is BYU?

BYU does not release player birthdate information so this cannot be proved one way or the other but it is an oft discussed topic in college football circles.

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:17 am
by CasketRomance
Historic Streaks

Duke strung together 150 straight non-conference home wins after this school "stormed" into Cameron Indoor Stadium in 2000 and beat them
Spoiler
St John's