Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:00 am A more straightforward one that draws on the same trivia fact:

AFRICAN COUNTRIES

Its motto is "Unidad, Paz, Justicia"
Spoiler
What is Equatorial Guinea?
I think the streets one is fine, but avoid the "tres de Agosto", as that is distracting because you focus on what historical event must go with it.

Problem with the motto is the resemblance to Latin. Kind of like "E Pluribus Unum", which is awesome and way better than "In "blank" We Trust".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

CATEGORY: Non-Profit Organizations

As a non-profit organization, this team is the only American franchise in one of the big four pro sports leagues to release their balance sheet publicly.
Spoiler
Who are the Green Bay Packers?

The non-profit, publicly-owned structure of the Packers is how they've managed to stay in Green Bay, despite Green Bay being the smallest market in all of pro sports.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

BRITISH MONARCHS

This ruler's grandparents signed the Treaty of Tordesillas to divide the New World with Portugal
Spoiler
Who was Mary I?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

NAMES IN THE NEWS

Receiving a new round of attention in 2019, this man with the middle name “Riddle” was last seen in Bloomfield Township, Michigan.
Spoiler
Who is Jimmy Hoffa?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

ETYMOLOGY

This word contains synonymous Greek, French, and Latin prefixes, in that order, attached to a root with a Middle English origin that means "to shake tremulously".
Spoiler
What is hemidemisemiquaver?
Last edited by talkingaway on Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:09 pm ETYMOLOGY

This word contains synonymous Greek, Latin, and French prefixes, in that order, attached to a root with a Middle English origin that means "to shake tremulously".
Spoiler
What is hemisemidemiquaver?
I usually hear it in the order Greek, French, and Latin, and Wikipedia seems to agree with me.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:10 pm

This word contains synonymous Greek, Latin, and French prefixes, in that order, attached to a root with a Middle English origin that means "to shake tremulously".
Spoiler
I usually hear it in the order Greek, French, and Latin, and Wikipedia seems to agree with me.
Good point - why did I always think of it in the wrong order? Looking it up in the J! archive, your order is there, and now that I think of it, it makes sense...
Spoiler
considering semiquaver is the eighth note.
I’ll fix it. I did a cursory google and found my old order in the wiktionary, which isn’t a good source, obviously.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:27 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:10 pm

Spoiler
Good point - why did I always think of it in the wrong order? Looking it up in the J! archive, your order is there, and now that I think of it, it makes sense...
Spoiler
considering semiquaver is the eighth note.
I’ll fix it. I did a cursory google and found my old order in the wiktionary, which isn’t a good source, obviously.
I would do away with "in that order" in the clue so that either could be accepted.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

LESSER-KNOWN NAMES

In 1944, traveling in a Messerschmitt Komet, German Heini Dittmar set an unofficial world record that stood for three years until it was surpassed by this man
Spoiler
Who is Chuck Yeager?
[Edited for correction]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 pm LESSER-KNOWN NAMES

In 1941, traveling in a Messerschmitt Komet, German Heini Dittmar set a world record that stood for six years until it was surpassed by this man
Spoiler
Who is Chuck Yeager?
I like that one... it seems like something that could actually have been written by the J! writers
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:47 am
cheezguyty wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 pm LESSER-KNOWN NAMES

In 1941, traveling in a Messerschmitt Komet, German Heini Dittmar set a world record that stood for six years until it was surpassed by this man
Spoiler
Who is Chuck Yeager?
I like that one... it seems like something that could actually have been written by the J! writers
+1

Is this event the breaking of the sound barrier? I assumed earlier pilots of the X-10 wiped out any existing jet plane records (as well as some of their asses). Of course Yeager wiped out any intermediate records.

It is a great clue and a reasonable difficulty level for FJ. It's slightly better if it is the supersonic flight, but it doesn't need to be addressed to improve the clue.

ETA - According to Wiki, there's 3 official marks better than the unofficial Ditmar flight at 623 mph and even Ditmar beat it unofficially at 702 mph in 1948. And then Yeager's flight is also unofficial at "only" 670 mph in October 1947 followed by an 891 mph spanking in November.

So, I still like the clue, but purists are going to freak out. Maybe it can be saved?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:48 pm ETA - According to Wiki, there's 3 official marks better than the unofficial Ditmar flight at 623 mph and even Ditmar beat it unofficially at 702 mph in 1948. And then Yeager's flight is also unofficial at "only" 670 mph in October 1947 followed by an 891 mph spanking in November.

So, I still like the clue, but purists are going to freak out. Maybe it can be saved?
Thank you for taking a closer look at this. I was going off the Aircraft records Wiki article, which doesn't include Dittmar's 702 mph flight in 1944 (not 1948). I've rectified the clue by changing the year and adding the word "unofficial" to satisfy any FAI purists.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

AWARDS & HONORS

Begun in 2010, the award named for her is given for "excellence in crime, mystery and thriller writing by New Zealand authors"
Spoiler
Who is Ngaio Marsh?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

16th CENTURY BRITS

This 16th century British scientist concluded that Earth has a magnetic field in his 1600 book "De Magnete". Though he did not write any Gondoliers nor any Pirates of Penzance.
Spoiler
Who is William Gilbert?
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CHILDREN's LITERATURE

This beloved book about an animal was banned in Spain, as Francisco Franco's supporters accused it of promoting pacifism.
Spoiler
What is (the Story of) Ferdinand?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:53 pm CHILDREN's LITERATURE

This beloved book about an animal was banned in Spain, as Francisco Franco's supporters accused it of promoting pacifism.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Great clue, but maybe tweak it to ask for the name of the animal rather than the book. That way no one has to agonize about whether just "What is Ferdinand?" will be accepted or if they should write out "What is The Tale of Ferdinand?" and end up getting it wrong.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:53 pm CHILDREN's LITERATURE

Spoiler
Spoiler
got this on a guess...first and only time i have ever heard of this book was when it was mentioned in the movie "the blind side"
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

CHRISTMAS SONGS

This person recorded a demo of his Christmas song at the St. Regis hotel in New York City in 1971; 9 years later, within two miles of the hotel, he made national news.
Spoiler
Who is John Lennon?
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:21 am CHRISTMAS SONGS

This person recorded a demo of his Christmas song at the St. Regis hotel in New York City in 1971; 9 years later, within two miles of the hotel, he made national news.
Spoiler
Who is John Lennon?
Spoiler
Made national news is a bit reductive, no?... :o Not even made international news quite covers it...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:31 am
talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:21 am CHRISTMAS SONGS

Spoiler
Who is John Lennon?
Spoiler
Made national news is a bit reductive, no?... :o Not even made international news quite covers it...
Spoiler
You're right, it is a bit reductive. I actually thought about "international news" right after I hit send, but admittedly didn't bother to fix it. I think "musician assassinated/killed in NYC in the year 1971 + 9" brings it to $200 clue level, so I had to be deliberately vague.

I just discovered an interesting quasi-neg: Donny Hathaway. He recorded "This Christmas" in autumn 1970, but in Chicago, and Donny died in NYC just over 8 years later in January 1979.