Final Jeopardy! Clues

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

CURRENT EVENTS

The meals seen here were donated to coronavirus-fighting healthcare workers at Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital, by this performer

Spoiler
Who is Eminem?

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:44 pm
CURRENT EVENTS

The meals seen here were donated to coronavirus-fighting healthcare workers at Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital, by this performer

Spoiler
Who is Eminem?
50/50/90.

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Final Jeopardy! Clues

Post by Peachbox »

FIRSTS

Q: In 2007, Moira Cameron became the first female member of this organization, which was started 522 years earlier
Spoiler
Yeomen Warders (sometimes known as Beefeaters)

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

NATIONAL ANTHEMS

The title and lyrics of this song changed in 1837, 1901, and most recently in 1953.
Spoiler
What is "God Save the Queen/King?"

jlgarfield
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jlgarfield »

OSCAR-WINNING FILMS

It's the only ordinal direction to have appeared in the title of a Best Picture Oscar winner
Spoiler
What is West?

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

jlgarfield wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:46 am
OSCAR-WINNING FILMS

It's the only ordinal direction to have appeared in the title of a Best Picture Oscar winner
Spoiler
What is West?
Almost got it right, but....
Spoiler
Named a wrong movie, not the direction. Actually, when I saw the correct response, I tried looking up the movie West - perhaps the prequel to 1994's flop "North"? Oops, it was a misread.

Would have gotten it right had I read the clue carefully, though, because I was thinking of "How the West Was Won", and not "West Side Story" or "All Quiet on the West(ern) Front".

Actually, it's a pretty good clue, since they did it back in 1987:

#715, aired 1987-10-16 ACADEMY AWARDS: 1 of the 2 "Best Picture" Oscar winners to contain North, South, East or West in its title

Everyone negged, including a guess of the first movie I thought of when I thought about directions - North by Northwest. And I was about to make and save a North by Northwest clue, but they already did it:

#3882, aired 2001-06-19 HITCHCOCK FILMS: The action of this 1959 film moves from New York to South Dakota

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jlgarfield wrote:
OSCAR-WINNING FILMS

Spoiler
What is West?
That's a cardinal direction, not ordinal.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:31 am
jlgarfield wrote:
OSCAR-WINNING FILMS

Spoiler
What is West?
Board member Alan Bailey is a writer for the the celebrity edition of Millionaire and the 4/30 ep. had the the question for $250,000. Cardinal was in the wording. The celeb walked with $125K. East of Eden was the distracting option that caused him distress.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:31 am
jlgarfield wrote:
OSCAR-WINNING FILMS

Spoiler
What is West?
What he said. I wasn't sure what an "ordinal" direction might be. So my guess was "western" from All Quiet on the Western Front.

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

18TH CENTURY LITERATURE

One of the two authors of this work said about it, "The majority of the following poems are to be considered as experiments"
Spoiler
What is Lyrical Ballads?

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mas3cf wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:39 pm
18TH CENTURY LITERATURE

One of the two authors of this work said about it, "The majority of the following poems are to be considered as experiments"
Spoiler
What is Lyrical Ballads?
This is on my flashcards that I've let myself get behind on, so I couldn't pull it. But at least I recognized it was a thing, which is a small something. Before last year I hadn't heard of it.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Fri May 08, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TELEVISION

A working title for this classic episode was "A Fuzzy Thing Happened to Me ..."

and if you need a bit more of a hint
Spoiler
A working title for this classic sci-fi episode was "A Fuzzy Thing Happened to Me ..."
Answer:
Spoiler
"The Trouble with Tribbles"

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

BILLBOARD #1 SONGS

This 1980 song features the singer running long acrylic fingernails across each other to simulate the sound of a typewriter.
Spoiler
What is 9 to 5?

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:48 pm
BILLBOARD #1 SONGS

This 1980 song features the singer running long acrylic fingernails across each other to simulate the sound of a typewriter.
Spoiler
What is 9 to 5?
Great clue! Dolly is amazing. I wonder how millennials will fare with it. It was an interesting WECIB clue for me. It seems perfect for the run of the mill FJ, maybe too easy for TOC level. Amusing and amazing.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MUSICAL STUPID ANSWERS

In 1965 he released an album called "Best of the Beatles"
Spoiler
Who is Pete Best?

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:27 am
MUSICAL STUPID ANSWERS

In 1965 he released an album called "Best of the Beatles"
Spoiler
Who is Pete Best?
I like it! Might work as a DD as well. I did have to think about it, but I think I got there in time.

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

US GEOGRAPHY

It was the 2nd most populous municipality in Indiana on May 26, 2019 and the 55th most populous the next day.
Spoiler
What is Speedway?
Last edited by mas3cf on Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:24 am
US GEOGRAPHY

It was the 2nd most populous city in Indiana on May 26, 2019 and the 55th most populous the next day.
Spoiler
What is Speedway?
Spoiler
I came frustratingly close. Wikipedia calls Speedway a "town", but I don't really have the time to research it further, and I assume you have it sourced as a city. And I'll be honest: I'm not 100% solid about the difference between a town and a city, other than perhaps that one uses a town council form of government?

I went for "Indianapolis", guessing correctly that the reason for the population shift was the Indy 500. I had no idea that Speedway itself was an enclave. I assume that was sort of the point of this FJ...so, I learned something! Yay!

The demographic shift probably invalidates my answer - Indianapolis is probably large enough that its population size isn't subject to the vagaries of the NASCAR schedule.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:40 am
mas3cf wrote:
US GEOGRAPHY

It was the 2nd most populous city in Indiana on May 26, 2019 and the 55th most populous the next day.
Spoiler
What is Speedway?
Spoiler
I came frustratingly close. Wikipedia calls Speedway a "town", but I don't really have the time to research it further, and I assume you have it sourced as a city. And I'll be honest: I'm not 100% solid about the difference between a town and a city, other than perhaps that one uses a town council form of government?

I went for "Indianapolis", guessing correctly that the reason for the population shift was the Indy 500. I had no idea that Speedway itself was an enclave. I assume that was sort of the point of this FJ...so, I learned something! Yay!

The demographic shift probably invalidates my answer - Indianapolis is probably large enough that its population size isn't subject to the vagaries of the NASCAR schedule.
It's within Wayne Township, so if Indiana is like most states, then it has to be a town. Cities are separate from townships.

At least, that's how I learned it when I lived in NJ. :)

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:40 am
mas3cf wrote:
US GEOGRAPHY

Spoiler
What is Speedway?
Spoiler

Updated wording to remove city/town confusion...