Friday, March 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Actors & Oscars
He was nominated for Oscars in 5 consecutive decades; the last nod was for his 1978 role as a Nazi hunter.

Spoiler
Who is Sir Laurence Olivier? Cameron said Gregory Peck; Matt said Clark Gable; Thad said John (going for Barrymore, he said)

Thad McCollum: $14,400-$12,000=$2,400...now a 1-day champion with $2,400
Matt Kish: $12,800-$10,801=$1,999
Cameron Yahr: $11,800-$11,800=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

How is Madame Curie not acceptable? It differentiates it from Pierre Curie. If just last names are acceptable unless there are two famous people who share the name, it seems like providing enough information to distinguish between the two should be enough.

Unfortunately, my power flicked off in the middle of the game and it took a while for the DVR to get going again, so I missed about half of it. I was really curious to see what the clues in the billiard shot category were. I'll just have to wait for the archive.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

soxfan99 wrote:How is Madame Curie not acceptable? It differentiates it from Pierre Curie. If just last names are acceptable unless there are two famous people who share the name, it seems like providing enough information to distinguish between the two should be enough.
It doesn't differentiate from her daughter Irene Joliot-Curie, who also won.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Thad won with only $2400, and Matt got almost that much ($2000) for second place. But a win is a win, no matter how large or small.

Picked up Lach trash: "Lawrence of Arabia", "Frederick the Great" and Joseph Priestly"

Didn't get FJ. I thought of 5 actors, but none of them was Olivier.
Last edited by esrever on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I know the judges are pretty lenient on giving responses of UK/Great Britain/England, but the clue about the Glorious Revolution (1688) rendered a response of "What is the United Kingdom of Great Britain?" The UK didn't exist until 1801, and the Kingdom of Great Britain didn't exist until 1707. Anyone else a little ticked by this or am I being too tough?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Billiards category
Spoiler
Clues were about the break, the bank shot, the jump shot, the combination shot, and a called shot
Thad won due to inoptimal wagering from his opponents in second and third, and that's never happened before :)
Last edited by legendneverdies on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

With apologies to Austin Powers, here is a summary of tonight's game
Attachments
subarus.jpg
subarus.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 6352 times
hscer

Post by hscer »

Anyone else feel like the difference in difficulty between the first 60 clues and the last one was huge? Best I could do in FJ was Spencer Tracy, thinking maybe the Nazi hunter was a hint somehow instead of just a weird fact. Find out now he died in '67.

I thought Matt should have gone for it all on that baseball daily double before he got the clue; obviously the men today knew their baseball. An extra $3200 could have helped him in the end, although who knows what his wager on the second DD is if he did make the first one a true DD.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

hscer wrote:Anyone else feel like the difference in difficulty between the first 60 clues and the last one was huge? Best I could do in FJ was Spencer Tracy, thinking maybe the Nazi hunter was a hint somehow instead of just a weird fact. Find out now he died in '67.

I thought Matt should have gone for it all on that baseball daily double before he got the clue; obviously the men today knew their baseball. An extra $3200 could have helped him in the end, although who knows what his wager on the second DD is if he did make the first one a true DD.
Indeed. Low DD betting- carousel fodder (except for the Contemporaries cat.) Wanhhh! I want Arthur back! Who wants to bet the sheeple won't respond negatively to Cameron's repeated interruptions of Alex? (to get to enough clues)

The England clue was problematic. Also FYI for you people who don't play pool- the shot they describe as a jump shot is known as a lift. It can be found in bars with scrub players; it's a hack move that ruins the felt and is *not* a legal jump shot, which is made by driving (down on) the top half of the ball.
EndlessEntropy
Valued Contributor

Post by EndlessEntropy »

Went with Gregory Peck for FJ as well. I knew The Boys from Brazil but Olivier wouldn't have been my guess. I'm only familiar with his Shakespeare roles anyway.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

-Shakespeare
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

I guessed Maximilian Schell because I was way hung up on think of a character in a movie with Nazis when all that was required was thinking of a great actor from the '30s - '70s.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

A fun game with a few puzzlers --- agreed, I thought Madame Curie should have been acceptable, and I thought the answer of the United Kingdom of Great Britain was going into dangerous territory --- and I *very* much enjoyed the question concerning the game of Twister, for obvious reasons. :D

FJ was an Instaget for both me and my wife, and we were stunned that nobody got it.

Amazing to see the bouncing pecs, though --- it seemed Alex was speechless... perhaps a first!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I thought of Olivier, but it didn't seem right, so I went with Glen Ford. :oops: :oops: Maybe because I remember seeing Olivier in "The Jazz Singer" as Neil Diamond's dad a couple of years after 1978, and he seemed to be too frail to be a Nazi Hunter.

Did the returning champ not have one of the funniest interviews ever?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Thad McCollum: $14,400-$12,000=$2,400...now a 1-day champion with $2,400
Matt Kish: $12,800-$10,801=$1,999
Cameron Yahr: $11,800-$11,800=$0
legendneverdies wrote: Thad won due to inoptimal wagering from his opponents in second and third, and that's never happened before :)
Matt's wager from second place was fine, he made the MSB to finish a dollar ahead of Cameron's doubled score. Thad overbet by $800 but at least stayed ahead of Matt's MSBIW.

I agree Matt should have gone all in on baseball and Cameron should have bet it all on the state quarters category.

The moment that turned the game was when Matt said Boyle in the P scientists category. If he stays clam, there is a tie for the lead going into FJ, would Cameron still have gone all in?

My first thought on FJ was Cary Grant. Then I came up with Olivier. Of course I followed the standard advice and went with my first instinct.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Someone was just asking me the other day whether she should see The Boys from Brazil for a creative writing assignment. Her other options were Midnight Express, Days of Heaven, Grease, or Love Story. I don't think this was supposed to be a humorous paper, so I directed her to Days of Heaven.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I miss Arthur...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

total hot/cold for me on the DDs today. On each of the first two, I'd've wagered TTD+W, whereas the third I'd've done minimum $5.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

econgator wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:How is Madame Curie not acceptable? It differentiates it from Pierre Curie. If just last names are acceptable unless there are two famous people who share the name, it seems like providing enough information to distinguish between the two should be enough.
It doesn't differentiate from her daughter Irene Joliot-Curie, who also won.
It didn't need to. Only one female person with the surname Curie has won two Nobel Prizes. There was absolutely no ambiguity in his answer, and no need to seek clarification. Conjoined French surnames are not divisible. Julia Louis-Dreyfus did not win all those Emmys as Julia Louis or Julia Dreyfus. Irene Joliot-Curie was married at the time of her single Nobel win (in fact, she won it with her husband). She was not Irene Curie. And even if she was unmarried at the time referenced in the clue, she would have been Mademoiselle Curie and she wouldn't have had her Nobel for years to come. In relation to this clue, Madame Curie describes one person and one person only - Marie Curie.