Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6796, 2014-03-17

CONTESTANTS
Gordon Graham, a recent anthropology graduate from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Jen Cosgrove, a billing manager from West Hartford, Connecticut
Thad McCollum, a door person from Orlando, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $2,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and happy St. Patrick's Day to you and to all of you who are tuning us in right now. Jen and Gordon, welcome aboard. Thad, good to see you again. I know you're eager to win more money than was the case in your last appearance. Let's see how things work out. Here we go. Good luck. And the categories for this first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW MUSICAL SUPERGROUPS (5/5) (Alex: We've formed them. You have to identify the two bands we combined.)
BIOGRAPHY SUBJECTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MISCELLANEOUS (5/5)
EAR, NOSE OR THROAT (5/5)
AIRPORT CODES (4/5)
THE TWO-THOUSAND YEAR OLD MAN (5/5) (Carl Reiner: Clues with a... 2,000-year-old man.) (Mel Brooks: That's me.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Thad: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jen: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Gordon: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jen found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Thad had $200, Jen had $400, and Gordon was at $400. Jen wagered $1,000.

BIOGRAPHY SUBJECTS $600: By Joe McGinniss, "The Rogue: Searching for the Real" this politician

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jen: $3,800
Thad: $1,800
Gordon: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm not sure I would be able to do what Gordon Graham from British Columbia does to, uh, spend time in his, uh, leisure time. You like to go on wilderness trips?

Gordon: Yes, Alex. I actually spent most of my youth every summer going on canoe trips--

Alex: In British Columbia?

Gordon: Actually, Ontario, Quebec, quite close to your old stomping grounds.

Alex: Yeah, and you were away by yourself for how many weeks at one point?

Gordon: Well, in a group, but about 3 1/2 weeks without seeing anybody, and that was in the wilderness of Quebec-Labrador.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

Alex: Jen Cosgrove is a billing manager from Connecticut. And one of your responsibilities, I understand, is to put the paychecks in the envelopes?

Jen: Yes, uh, my first job--uh, that was the--one of the responsibilities. And we had a new man work at our office, and I had yet to see him, but when I was putting the paychecks in, I looked at it and I said, "Oh, there's my future husband", jokingly, and we've been married for 16 years.

Alex: Money talks.

Jen: Yes.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Thad McCollum--

Thad: Yes.

Alex: --is our champion. He's from Orlando, Florida. He's the door person at a pub in Orlando. Does that mean you're the guy that if I come up there, I slip you a couple of bucks, and you'll let me in?

Thad: That's pretty much exactly what it is.

Alex: And if I'm a pretty girl, I don't have to slip you a couple of bucks?

Thad: Uh, no, we wouldn't make any money that way, so--

Alex: Oh, okay.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AIRPORT CODES $200: You'll find MOM in Moudjeria, Mauritania; this 3-letter code is over in Da Nang, Vietnam
(Gordon: What is DAN?)

BIOGRAPHY SUBJECTS $1000: This woman: "Daring to Vote"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Thad: $6,800
Jen: $5,200
Gordon: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY SEQUELS (4/5)
I'LL BE YOUR TV WAITRESS (5/5)
WE "BEG" TO DIFFER (5/5)
LET'S PLAY BRIDGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A BIRD IN THE HAND (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
2 IN THE BUSH (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jen: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Gordon: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Thad: 9 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gordon snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Thad had $12,000, Jen had $7,600, and Gordon was at $5,400. Gordon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,400.

LET'S PLAY BRIDGE $800: I made the last bid, so I'm the declarer; my partner says nothing while I play his cards, so he's called this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jen who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Thad had $14,400, Jen had $13,200, and Gordon was at $10,400. Jen wagered $2,000.

A BIRD IN THE HAND $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Alaska.) The feet of the Harlan's red-tailed hawk are protected from struggling prey because their talons are bone encased in a sheath of this hard protein

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
2 IN THE BUSH $2000: One of the 2 sons of George H.W. Bush who were never a state governor

LITERARY SEQUELS $2000: The wanderer sails for the South Pole in Nikos Kazantzakis' 33,333-line sequel to this ancient poem
(Thad: What is Gilgamesh, or The Epic of Gilgamesh?)
(Gordon: What is The Rime of the Ancient Mariner?)

LET'S PLAY BRIDGE $1600: A card that's the only one of its suit in a hand; it's also what Bridget Jones calls herself as an unmarried person

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jen: $15,200
Gordon: $14,400
Thad: $12,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BODIES OF WATER

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jen: Wager $13,601 to cover Gordon.
Gordon: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Thad, hoping that you give the correct response and Jen doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $10,401 to cover Thad's doubled score, but no more than $12,800 if you want to top Jen on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,999 and win if both Jen and Thad miss Final.
Thad: You ought to try wagering between $2,001 and $8,400. This will top a $0 wager by Gordon while still beating Jen and Gordon on the Triple Stumper (should Jen wager to cover Gordon's doubled score and Gordon wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
More than 1/5 of all the world's people live in countries bordering this, the world's biggest bay

FINAL SCORES
Thad: $12,400 + $12,000 = $24,400 (What is the Bay of Bengal?) (3rd place)
Gordon: $14,400 + $14,400 = $28,800 (What is the bay of Bengal?) (New champion: $28,800)
Jen: $15,200 + $10,000 = $25,200 (What is the Bay of Bengal?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jen: $14,400, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Thad: $12,400, 21 R, 5 W
Gordon: $9,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $36,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Thad: 22/58 = .379
Jen: 20/60 = .333
Gordon: 16/59 = .271
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NEW MUSICAL SUPERGROUPS $800: A boy band supergroup:
98 Edition
(Jen: What is 98 Degrees and First Edition?)

MISCELLANEOUS $800: This national park & preserve named for the highest peak in North America is bigger than New Hampshire
(Gordon: What is Whitney National Park?)
(Thad: Uh, what is Mount McKinley National Park?)

THE TWO-THOUSAND YEAR OLD MAN $200: (Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks present the clue.)
"Of all the monarchs you've known, who was the most impressive?"
"That's easy. It's this Russian empress who was born in 1729. She had such great legs! And, boy, what a way with horses"

THE TWO-THOUSAND YEAR OLD MAN $400: (Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks present the clue.)
"What was one of your best times?"
"One of my best times was sitting around with this guy in Venice. He'd tell me stories about going to China, and I'd say, 'Don't mention the part about spaghetti & gunpowder. They don't go good together'"

THE TWO-THOUSAND YEAR OLD MAN $1000: (Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks present the clue.)
"Attila the Hun--was he really as rotten as they say?"
"Rottener. You never addressed him by his 3-word nickname. You always said, 'Hey, you're looking good today', 'Hey', stuff like that. But you never called him by his 3-word nickname. That's the clue--3-word nickname"

THE TWO-THOUSAND YEAR OLD MAN $800: (Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks present the clue.)
"What was your most annoying job?"
"Well, I was a scrivener for this poet who couldn't spell. The first line of his prologue, he spells 'April' like this-A-P-R-I-L-L-E. That's--that's how he spelled 'April'"

THE TWO-THOUSAND YEAR OLD MAN $600: (Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks present the clue.)
"You have worked with some of our great presidents."
"Mm-hmm."
"Who were they?"
"Go back to the first. Washington. He used to wear his wig cockeye. I straightened him out. I straightened out his wooden teeth. But Wilson--Woodrow Wilson took my advice. I said, 'Woody, you're making too many points in this declaration. How many points do you really need?'"
(Alex: And our thanks, of course, to Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks for helping us out on the program.)

LITERARY SEQUELS $800: "Innocent", a legal thriller published in 2010, is a sequel to his bestselling debut novel, "Presumed Innocent"
(Thad: Who is Grisham?)

I'LL BE YOUR TV WAITRESS $400: Penny...? Penny...? Penny? Yes, it's Penny who works at the Cheesecake Factory on this lovably geeky CBS sitcom
[Alex knocks three times before each "Penny".]

A BIRD IN THE HAND $400: It's the bird
in the hands here; Hans Christian Andersen wrote of an ugly one

A BIRD IN THE HAND $800: That's not
a chick in the hand, but this bird with a longer name
(Alex: Yes, my dear.)

A BIRD IN THE HAND $1200: On its leg, the bird is undergoing this zoological process, also called ringing
(Yhad: What is molting?)

A BIRD IN THE HAND $2000: The bird in the hand here is the sun type of this small parrot
(Thad: Uh, what is a lovebird?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sarah Palin
DAD
Susan B. Anthony
the dummy
keratin
Neil or Marvin
The Odyssey
a singleton
the Bay of Bengal
98 Degrees & New Edition
Denali
Catherine (the Great)
Marco Polo
"Scourge of God"
Chaucer
Scott Turow
The Big Bang Theory
a duckling
a chickadee
banding
a parakeet
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bodies of Water
More than 1/5 of all the world's people live in countries bordering this, the world's biggest bay.

Spoiler
What is the Bay of Bengal?

Jen Cosgrove: $15,200+$10,000=$25,200
Gordon Graham: $14,400+$14,400=$28,800...now a 1-day champion with $28,800
Thad McCollum: $12,400+$12,000=$24,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Well, that J! round was really ... something. (I'm tempted to put up a poll as to whom people want reading the clues, Oprah or Brooks & Reiner?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

*sigh*

Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DAD was tough for Airports $200 IMO. That just as easily could've been POP.

Susan B. Anthony was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't get it out in time.

Ear/Nose/Throat was an easy run.

Superroups seemed like it would be easy, but I blurted out "First Edition" at $800 (no, that was Kenny Rogers, stupid), as I've never heard of New Edition. Then, I couldn't think of a single group with "People" in it other than "Foster the People", which I knew was way wrong.

Somehow I gave Wilson five points too many. And I remember reading about those in History!

Dumbass moment du jour: "Oh shoot, what CITY beginning with SIOUX is in Iowa?" I do that kind of crap way too often…

====

Considering how long the 2,000 Year Old Man's clues were, I'm surprised they didn't have an LTaM in either round. Heck, I'm surprised Alex didn't call LTaM after he was done reading the DJ! categories! However, I did spot some really jarring edits, such as Alex not calling on Thad when he rang in on Sequels for $800.

====

Literary Sequels and Bridge were totally 0/5. I at least recognized stuff in the former, but 100% of Bridge went miles over my head.

"Beg" was insultingly easy. I mean, "Beg" is the category and you have "beggar", at $1200 no less?

Got only "Walker" in Bush. Thought asking for the years they attended Yale was too steep at $400.

Beatrix Potter was too far back in the head to pull up in time.

No, Alex, "Keratin" wasn't tough.

====

Totally at a loss on FJ! I couldn't think of a single big bay that was in more than one country. That name really doesn't ring a bell, but I was at least aware that there's a body of water east of India. However, I never would've guessed it was only a bay.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

econgator wrote:*sigh*

Instaget FJ.
Yep. Silly wager, too.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote:Well, that J! round was really ... something. (I'm tempted to put up a poll as to whom people want reading the clues, Oprah or Brooks & Reiner?)
HAH!! As long as they have time in their schedules to record them, keep bringing Brooks and Reiner back :D
Also, a really easy J! round. 27/30, and 2 other were on the tip of my tongue.

Instaget FJ, and y'know...I'm not gonna bother with that wager. It speaks for itself.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Well that sure was something! I can forgive the Brooks/Reiner round because they were actually funny, but are they kidding with "Ear, Nose, or Throat?" It's not Kids Week!

I have the distinct feeling there was a wagering error in FJ there...
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Golf

Post by Golf »

Good gosh, who wouldn't have bet a perfect March Madness bracket in the ENT category?

Excellent TDD on a 2nd row clue. But then not really sure how he missed singleton but got finesse.

Think those are the combined absolute worst FJ wagers of all time. Funny thing is, the repeat episode prior in the DFW area also had a woman leading going into FJ who answered correctly and lost.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:DAD was tough for Airports $200 IMO. That just as easily could've been POP.
In a lower box, yeah. In the top box I'm going with the one that begins with the same letter.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Excellent game by all 3 contestants.

Picked up Lach trash: "DAD", "Susan B. Anthony" and "Neil Bush"

Instaget FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

xxaaaxx wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Well, that J! round was really ... something. (I'm tempted to put up a poll as to whom people want reading the clues, Oprah or Brooks & Reiner?)
HAH!! As long as they have time in their schedules to record them, keep bringing Brooks and Reiner back :D
Also, a really easy J! round. 27/30, and 2 other were on the tip of my tongue.

Instaget FJ, and y'know...I'm not gonna bother with that wager. It speaks for itself.
Oh, I agree, they were funny, and I'll always enjoy 2,000 Year Old Man bits, but they don't belong on Jeopardy!, their format isn't suited for it. (Some of those clues weren't really worded with a "this" or "these", and (Brooks? I get them mixed up) blatantly telegraphing what they wanted to ask really highlighted that fact.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Judges: would Up with People have been accepted as half of the supergroup the Village People were a part of?
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Triple Stumper on 'singleton'???

For the record, as long as you're going to have famous people reading the clues, Reiner and Brooks were the best I've seen yet; usually they are boring and have no sense of dramatic timing/pacing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

El Jefe wrote:Triple Stumper on 'singleton'???
That one completely baffled me, as did the entire bridge category. Why is everyone so shocked that it was a TS?
hscer

Post by hscer »

Massive choke here on the Final. I might have written "What is the bay between India and China?" as my response :P

When will we have another repeat champion? Thanks to the tournaments and Arthur, he's been the only one since January.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, I agree, they were funny, and I'll always enjoy 2,000 Year Old Man bits, but they don't belong on Jeopardy!, their format isn't suited for it. (Some of those clues weren't really worded with a "this" or "these", and (Brooks? I get them mixed up) blatantly telegraphing what they wanted to ask really highlighted that fact.
Reiner left, Brooks right.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Joe Mcginniss who wrote the Palin book in the first round DD died last week.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dnbguy wrote:Judges: would Up with People have been accepted as half of the supergroup the Village People were a part of?
No. They aren't a band.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.