Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Austin Powers »

I look forward to folks bashing that Subaru bet from the leader, only to have the contestant show up here, forcing us to collectively backtrack on all the mean things we said about her horrible, horrible bet.

BTW I think that J round was just about the worst, most lazily written piece of garbage by the writers in some time. It felt like it was written on the back of some cocktail napkins in about ten minutes.

Golf

Post by Golf »

Austin Powers wrote:I look forward to folks bashing that Subaru bet from the leader, only to have the contestant show up here, forcing us to collectively backtrack on all the mean things we said about her horrible, horrible bet.
I won't backtrack, it was a terrible wager whether she shows up or not. That's not mean, just fact. Mean is if somebody makes a comment on a contestant's personality, clothing, or the like.
Last edited by Golf on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had to strain to understand what Brooks was saying.

I did not get singleton. I don't play bridge and the other hint in the clue meant nothing to me, never heard of whoever that was. The best I could come up with was "old maid" and I was pretty sure that wasn't right.

Bay of Bengal was an educated guess. I wasn't sure where it is (never really thought about it) but figured Bengal=India and there's a billion people right there.

I'll say one thing about her bet. If second place makes the MSB over second place, she wins the game with her bet. So she put some thought into it or else she just picked a big round number.

Leander

Post by Leander »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Triple Stumper on 'singleton'???
That one completely baffled me, as did the entire bridge category. Why is everyone so shocked that it was a TS?
Two, or really three ways to get it. From bridge, from the Bridget Jones Diary book, or the movie with Renee Zellweger.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Is the consensus on here that this was an easier game than normal? All three contestants had very impressive pre-FJ totals. I went 26/30 in the J round and 24/30 in the DJ round.

I managed to get "DAD" in time, but I'm not surprised that the contestants struggled with it. On a different day it wouldn't have clicked with me in time.

I said McKinley instead of Denali. I also blurted out Eisenhower instead of De Gaulle -- the three previous responses were Americans IIRC, and Eisenhower was a general who played a role in "saving France".

I missed True Blood but might have gotten it if I had known it was set in Louisiana.

I agree that the clue asking for the decades that the two Bushes attended college was a little tricky for the top row.

I didn't "know" the Sean Connery one in the strictest sense, but I just figured: Which Bond actor seems the most likely to have started smoking when he was 9?

FJ for me was not quite instant, but close to it. I knew the body of water had to be somewhere around southern or eastern Asia. Some of you may have seen this picture before.

The Bay of Bengal popped into my head pretty early, and it was the only thing I ever wrote down. I know it borders India and Bangladesh, which already are two of the most populous countries on Earth. I didn't bother thinking too hard about what other countries border it, but I thought that possibly Indonesia does, which also has a high population.

The only other body of water I thought about was the South China Sea. I realized that it probably borders a large proportion of the Earth's population as well. However, I stuck with the one with the word "bay" in its name. I figured it probably wasn't the type of clue I should overthink.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I did not get singleton. I don't play bridge and the other hint in the clue meant nothing to me, never heard of whoever that was. The best I could come up with was "old maid" and I was pretty sure that wasn't right.
I said "widow". :)

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I forgot to mention: it looks like the new champ is from the city I grew up in! (Victoria, BC, Canada)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

skullturf wrote:I forgot to mention: it looks like the new champ is from the city I grew up in! (Victoria, BC, Canada)
Bamawoman and I are going on an Alaskan cruise this summer and the ship is docking in Victoria one day.

He corrected Alex not once, but twice and still won the game. Amazing.

naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Leander wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Triple Stumper on 'singleton'???
That one completely baffled me, as did the entire bridge category. Why is everyone so shocked that it was a TS?
Two, or really three ways to get it. From bridge, from the Bridget Jones Diary book, or the movie with Renee Zellweger.
Also from the fact that "singletons" and "doubletons" are often discussed in the TD threads on this board. I realize not everyone reads those, though :)

Ran the Bridge category, so maybe my father will finally be proud of me.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:
skullturf wrote:I forgot to mention: it looks like the new champ is from the city I grew up in! (Victoria, BC, Canada)
Bamawoman and I are going on an Alaskan cruise this summer and the ship is docking in Victoria one day.

He corrected Alex not once, but twice and still won the game. Amazing.
I plan to visit both Alaska (but probably not near where your ship might be) and Victoria BC this summer, among other (many other) places. When the time gets closer, we'll have to compare notes.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ridiculously easy boards, at least for me. Ears Nose or Throat? C'mon, seriously? The whole thing felt like Kids Week material.

Loved, loved, loved Brooks and Reiner. I was just glad they completed the whole board so people wouldn't bitch about how much time they took.

Even without the Bay of Bengal in the news lately that was a pretty easy one. What *was* up with that flight anyway?

jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Ok game. I have to agree that I thought the J! round was way too easy; concur that most of those clues sounded like kids' week material.

Loved Brooks and Reiner, too.

I was also baffled by Jen's FJ wager. Oh well. We'll see how Gordon does tomorrow.

PeteMoss
Valued Contributor

Post by PeteMoss »

I was surprised by Jen's FJ bet. It was terrible.

I think some contestants believe that they will get the money they earned if they come in second. I don't think they understand the payout system.

Possibly they watch Wheel of Fortune and think the same rules apply to Jeopardy!.

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Ohhhhhhhh... flashback. It seems like just yesterday ... I can advise Gordon from personal experience, after winning in that fashion, a guy is liable to play the next game suffering from a mild case of PTLB (post-traumatic lucky b-----d). Let's see how he handles it.

Reiner and Brooks may be slow, but they're among the few guest clue readres who actually entertain. Don't want to see that every day, but I'm glad they did it.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Who's going to say Grisham? I could see that coming as soon as the clue popped up. At least the rebound was collected.

Yes, another easy board according to my 25 & 22 and all DDs correct. I should have had 48, but three sitcoms in Waitress was just enough to throw me off from guessing True Blood. Alex obviously does not watch The Big Bang Theory as his cadence was off in being too slow for the knock rhythm.

slam: There went your dream of hitting a DD in Let's Play Bridge. I'm sure Bob numbers liked that category as well.

As a long time fan and viewr of J! I have seen Jen's under wager so many times that there was distinct doubt about the cover based on her $2000 DD wager in the DJ! round. My reaction was not shock or surprise, but only disappointment.

While far from the WOF castability meter, she was on J! and that is the show for her. She had a narrow lead and was in position to win and play again. $2000 and done is a letdown. It must be awful to have to give her explanation and justification over and over again to those in her circle.

I'm looking forward to a DD wager from Gordon tomorrow to see if Bridge (2nd box) was very comfortable or if he is a high roller no matter the play.

The FJ! clue should poll over 80% for the week since any Bodies of Water FJ! I solve in instaseconds can't be too difficult.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:DAD was tough for Airports $200 IMO. That just as easily could've been POP.
Yes, but using your logic it could just as easily have been RVL, since you forgot it's a top row clue and they gave you the city DA Nang. *sigh*
dhkendall wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Well, that J! round was really ... something. (I'm tempted to put up a poll as to whom people want reading the clues, Oprah or Brooks & Reiner?)
HAH!! As long as they have time in their schedules to record them, keep bringing Brooks and Reiner back :D
Also, a really easy J! round. 27/30, and 2 other were on the tip of my tongue.

Instaget FJ, and y'know...I'm not gonna bother with that wager. It speaks for itself.
Oh, I agree, they were funny, and I'll always enjoy 2,000 Year Old Man bits, but they don't belong on Jeopardy!, their format isn't suited for it. (Some of those clues weren't really worded with a "this" or "these", and (Brooks? I get them mixed up) blatantly telegraphing what they wanted to ask really highlighted that fact.
Nothing wrong with mixing in some clues that don't have 'this' or 'these' prompters. Keeps the machines from taking over.

Final was instant...but I kept worrying I was forgetting a bay that sat off China's coast.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:DAD was tough for Airports $200 IMO. That just as easily could've been POP.
Yes, but using your logic it could just as easily have been RVL, since you forgot it's a top row clue and they gave you the city DA Nang. *sigh*
Because airport codes always match every letter in their city's name. Remind me of that the next time I fly out of ORD.
Volante wrote:Nothing wrong with mixing in some clues that don't have 'this' or 'these' prompters. Keeps the machines from taking over.
Reminds me of "Into the Shark Tank" on this game. The clues were completely unprompted, so I had a hard time figuring out what they wanted. Especially since $1600 gave half of the guy's name, so I figured "maybe they don't want his name, but what he invented? Some other fact about him?!"

I dunno what's worse: the rare times that the clues don't have prompts, or the almost as rare times when the word "this" shows up like five times and it's hard to tell which "this" they're going for.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hscer wrote:Massive choke here on the Final. I might have written "What is the bay between India and China?" as my response :P
It's only between India and China inasmuch as some of the lines you could draw connecting the two would pass over it. China doesn't even touch the Bay of Bengal.

Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
Because airport codes always match every letter in their city's name. Remind me of that the next time I fly out of ORD.
Top. Row.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

Volante

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote:
hscer wrote:Massive choke here on the Final. I might have written "What is the bay between India and China?" as my response :P
It's only between India and China inasmuch as some of the lines you could draw connecting the two would pass over it. China doesn't even touch the Bay of Bengal.
The Inverted Bay of Indochina!