Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6976
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:DAD was tough for Airports $200 IMO. That just as easily could've been POP.
Yes, but using your logic it could just as easily have been RVL, since you forgot it's a top row clue and they gave you the city DA Nang. *sigh*
Because airport codes always match every letter in their city's name. Remind me of that the next time I fly out of ORD.
Volante wrote:you forgot it's a top row clue
Edit: beaten by Volante himself

Edit²: P.S. "DAD" has a D "Da Nang" doesn't.
Last edited by seaborgium on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8339
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:Top. Row.
Um, clearly it wasn't that obvious if it was a triple stumper. Top boxes aren't always "go for the most obvious". There are tons of top-box triple stumpers, sadly.

And remember, Gigi Levangie Grazer was once a top box clue. That polled 13% here.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4248
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Easy J board? It isn't often I run the entire J board but tonight was one (I did get 98 Degrees/New Edition on the rebound, though). The Brooks and Reiner act was redeemed by its humor and by the fact that it didn't prevent all the clues from being uncovered. I did find it a bit distracting when trying to parse some of the clues, though. I was prevented from repeating the act in DJ by the blasted Waitresses category, but gained some solace in the softball Bridge questions. Instaget FJ made all the more painful by the bad wagering. Ouch, ouch, ouch...

eureka
Valued Contributor
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by eureka »

FJ was an insta guess. It was the only bay I could think of that might be near such a large population.

I was also surprised that they made it through the round with Reiner and Brooks. I didn't find them entertaining at all.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4997
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Austin Powers wrote:BTW I think that J round was just about the worst, most lazily written piece of garbage by the writers in some time. It felt like it was written on the back of some cocktail napkins in about ten minutes.
Totally agree. It seemed like a bunch of leftover categories just to fill in the round around the "2000 Year Old Man" one.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7195
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:DAD was tough for Airports $200 IMO. That just as easily could've been POP.
Yes, but using your logic it could just as easily have been RVL, since you forgot it's a top row clue and they gave you the city DA Nang. *sigh*
Because airport codes always match every letter in their city's name. Remind me of that the next time I fly out of ORD.
Volante wrote:you forgot it's a top row clue
Edit: beaten by Volante himself

Edit²: P.S. "DAD" has a D "Da Nang" doesn't.
Well, LAX has an X that 'Los Angeles' does not!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7195
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:Top. Row.
Um, clearly it wasn't that obvious if it was a triple stumper. Top boxes aren't always "go for the most obvious". There are tons of top-box triple stumpers, sadly.

And remember, Gigi Levangie Grazer was once a top box clue. That polled 13% here.
Play the odds: top rows are go for the obvious pun.
If they removed the 'MOM' TOM from the Da Nang clue, yes, I'd agree with you...(but then it wouldn't be a top row clue either)

And for your example, that double talk category you're referring to ended up going 2 for 5 and they were all 'know it or not' clues: not a TOM in sight (also, it was the 2nd Teachers Tourney which, I believe, they ramped the difficulty up for). So...good job finding the needle in the haystack, I guess?

Anyway, I got that out of my system...I'll be good for a long while now.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:DAD was tough for Airports $200 IMO. That just as easily could've been POP.
Yes, but using your logic it could just as easily have been RVL, since you forgot it's a top row clue and they gave you the city DA Nang. *sigh*
Because airport codes always match every letter in their city's name. Remind me of that the next time I fly out of ORD.
Volante wrote:you forgot it's a top row clue
Edit: beaten by Volante himself

Edit²: P.S. "DAD" has a D "Da Nang" doesn't.
Well, LAX has an X that 'Los Angeles' does not!
X was added for a reason, though, as all previous 2-letter airport codes had to be 3 letter, and was done by tacking an X on. (Same way PDX came into being if I'm not mistaken.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:Top. Row.
Um, clearly it wasn't that obvious if it was a triple stumper. Top boxes aren't always "go for the most obvious". There are tons of top-box triple stumpers, sadly.

And remember, Gigi Levangie Grazer was once a top box clue. That polled 13% here.
I'm with TPH on this one, it may have seemed easy to most of you (I was too busy going "huh?" to even ring in) but it *was* a triple stumper, with at least one (can't remember if there was more) wrong guess from the contestants. So it's not as slam dunk as most top row clues.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:DAD was tough for Airports $200 IMO. That just as easily could've been POP.
Yes, but using your logic it could just as easily have been RVL, since you forgot it's a top row clue and they gave you the city DA Nang. *sigh*
Because airport codes always match every letter in their city's name. Remind me of that the next time I fly out of ORD.
Or Canada. (I still haven't the vaguest idea why Canada, of all countries, has a special exception to airport naming codes. If an aviation geek could explain that to me, I'll be forever grateful.)

[To TPH: Canadian codes all start with Y: YVR (Vancouver), YWG (Winnipeg), YYC (Calgary), YYZ (Person International, Toronto - which, for some reason I've heard pronounced more often as wye-wye-zee than the assumed wye-wye-zed). Y do they do that? Damned if I know!]
Leander wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Triple Stumper on 'singleton'???
That one completely baffled me, as did the entire bridge category. Why is everyone so shocked that it was a TS?
Two, or really three ways to get it. From bridge, from the Bridget Jones Diary book, or the movie with Renee Zellweger.
I've seen the movie (haven't read the book or played bridge (that I can remember, but I still did all right in the category just from knowledge that I picked up even though I have no association with the game anymore and why am I bothering to still point this out?) and said "old maid". :oops: (You have company, Bamaman.)
bpmod wrote:
dnbguy wrote:Judges: would Up with People have been accepted as half of the supergroup the Village People were a part of?
No. They aren't a band.
I said the same thing (thinking of the group that used to be popular at Super Bowl halftime shows).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4997
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:YYZ (Person International, Toronto - which, for some reason I've heard pronounced more often as wye-wye-zee than the assumed wye-wye-zed). Y do they do that? Damned if I know!
And the Rush song is an instrumental, so we don't know how Geddy Lee would pronounce it. :)

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Plactus »

skullturf wrote:I didn't "know" the Sean Connery one in the strictest sense, but I just figured: Which Bond actor seems the most likely to have started smoking when he was 9?
I thought it sounded more like Connery, but "seven movies" made me go with Moore. I always forget Never Say Never Again.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8767
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:X was added for a reason, though, as all previous 2-letter airport codes had to be 3 letter, and was done by tacking an X on. (Same way PDX came into being if I'm not mistaken.)
Basically, yeah. Used to be, airports simply used a designator for the nearest weather station. When they went to the 3-letter designator, they just decided to tack on the X.
Or Canada. (I still haven't the vaguest idea why Canada, of all countries, has a special exception to airport naming codes. If an aviation geek could explain that to me, I'll be forever grateful.)

[To TPH: Canadian codes all start with Y: YVR (Vancouver), YWG (Winnipeg), YYC (Calgary), YYZ (Person International, Toronto - which, for some reason I've heard pronounced more often as wye-wye-zee than the assumed wye-wye-zed). Y do they do that? Damned if I know!]
They aren't special ... sorta. Each airport on the planet has 2 (or 3 in the US, as the FAA has its own) codes assigned to it. There's the 3-letter IATA code, which is used for things like baggage and reservations. Then, there's the 4-letter ICAO code. This is used in formal communications, air charts, etc. In most cases in North America, the IATA codes becomes the ICAO code simply by tacking on a C (Canada), K (the US), or M (Mexico). So, ATL (Atlanta) becomes KATL. YYC (Calgary) becomes CYYC (this doesn't usually work overseas, as Heathrow's LHR becomes EGLL and Paris Charles de Gaulle's CDG becomes LFPG).

From what I understand, although it may not be true, is that the C was used by the ITU as the radio designator for Canada and CY and CZ were used specifically for air transport communications, so it stuck that way.

Also, notice that many of the Canadian cities simply use two letters from the name as the two 'other' letters in the code (Vancouver - VR, Winnipeg - WG, Calgary - YC)

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 693
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by reddpen »

So many horrors on these boards. Led People? Check the Richter readings near John Bonham's grave. And Mel Brooks's snarky allusion to Catherine the Great's death by bestiality gone bad -- that story is, well, horse---- according to snopes. This was not the J! writers' finest half hour.

But at the end of DJ, all three had decent scores, so I had hope for an interesting final and strategic wagering... hope that was quickly dashed by the FJ clue, then shattered by Jen's wager. Sure, she beats Gordon if Gordon only wagers to lock out Thad (as he did on my sheet), but crikey, woman, you've gotta lock him out! If she doesn't regret this for the rest of her life, maybe mbclev will send her an annual St. Patrick's Day card reminder.

No one else said Treme for a drama set in New Orleans?

Poll request: I knew the names of both non-gubernatorial Bush brothers.
Back in the pool

Omnivore
Contributor
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Omnivore »

I had to check the discussion tonight, since that was the most bizarrely easy J! board I've ever seen for grown-ups, and the whole game had a weird zombie vibe. Or maybe everything seems drab now that Arthur's gone.

I thought Carl and Mel were pretty charming, especially if you know that they watch J! every night in those same chairs in Carl's living room. If you haven't seen their episode of Seinfeld's Coffee with Comedians, I highly recommend it. Mel comes over to Carl's house just about every evening and they eat deli and watch Jeopardy! and a movie. They are adorable.

Omnivore
Contributor
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Omnivore »

And yes, Bill, I guessed Treme too.

User avatar
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 am

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by buckeyebrain »

bpmod wrote:
dnbguy wrote:Judges: would Up with People have been accepted as half of the supergroup the Village People were a part of?
No. They aren't a band.

Brian
Long time, first time. (So I hope I'm doing this right.)

I was wondering the same thing on the "Led People" clue. I can see your argument, but how do you define a 'band' in this instance? A lack of instruments? If so, do the boy bands in the "(something) Edition" clue play instruments?

JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:34 am

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JeopRDFan »

MarkBarrett wrote:As a long time fan and viewr of J! I have seen Jen's under wager so many times that there was distinct doubt about the cover based on her $2000 DD wager in the DJ! round. My reaction was not shock or surprise, but only disappointment.
Same here. When she wagered conservatively on that DD in a category with which she seemed comfortable, I feared she would also do so for FJ -- though I held out hope. Too bad. I also felt the Jeopardy round seemed way too easy, especially 'Ear, Nose, & Throat' and 'Superroups'. I guessed Bay of Bengal in the final seconds. Enjoyed 'the boys' Reiner and Brooks -- too funny.

harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph »

The weekly poll ought to have a "I ran the Ear, Nose, & Throat category in the Monday game" box.

User avatar
nserven
At the Clam Shack
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Greenfield, MA

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nserven »

I thought Supergroups would have been a better challenge if they named people from two different bands and told us to merge them in some punny way, e.g., Bono, the Edge, Daltrey and Townshend could be U2 Who.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF »

I think being a computer programmer helped me get singleton so easily.

Bay of Bengal was not quite an instaget, but I found myself thinking of Bays in Asia, I think I went clockwise from the eastern end of Russia before I got to Bengal. Probably would have gotten it sooner if my wife wasn't yelling at me for something silly. :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BADuBois »

reddpen wrote:So many horrors on these boards. Led People? Check the Richter readings near John Bonham's grave. And Mel Brooks's snarky allusion to Catherine the Great's death by bestiality gone bad -- that story is, well, horse---- according to snopes. This was not the J! writers' finest half hour.
Agreed. The horse reference to Catherine the Great was BS.

Otherwise, a pretty easy board, FJ was an Instaget, and oh my, that final wager... ouch.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

Post Reply