Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

It was fun seeing Mel Brooks doing the 2,000-year old man routine, because I had only just recently watched the Art Fleming Jeopardy! show where he did the same routine. I think it was the 2,000th show special, and Burns Cameron was one of the contestants.

UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:YYZ (Person International, Toronto - which, for some reason I've heard pronounced more often as wye-wye-zee than the assumed wye-wye-zed). Y do they do that? Damned if I know!
And the Rush song is an instrumental, so we don't know how Geddy Lee would pronounce it. :)
But we do know how he would pronounce it. As the band's frontman, he has an occasional tendency to introduce songs (with or without lyrics) during live performances. Of course, "YYZ"'s opening bars are its own introduction - the syncopated drum pattern and tritone riff are Morse code for the IATA designation of the Toronto International Airport (-.---.----..). Nevertheless, we have other evidence that Geddy does indeed pronounce the letter sequence YYZ as "Y-Y-Zed" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ht8_3WYWzo&t=4m49s

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Bamaman wrote:
skullturf wrote:I forgot to mention: it looks like the new champ is from the city I grew up in! (Victoria, BC, Canada)
Bamawoman and I are going on an Alaskan cruise this summer and the ship is docking in Victoria one day.
Better find out which one.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

UiscePreston wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:YYZ (Person International, Toronto - which, for some reason I've heard pronounced more often as wye-wye-zee than the correct wye-wye-zed). Y do they do that? Damned if I know!
And the Rush song is an instrumental, so we don't know how Geddy Lee would pronounce it. :)
But we do know how he would pronounce it. As the band's frontman, he has an occasional tendency to introduce songs (with or without lyrics) during live performances. Of course, "YYZ"'s opening bars are its own introduction - the syncopated drum pattern and tritone riff are Morse code for the IATA designation of the Toronto International Airport (-.---.----..). Nevertheless, we have other evidence that Geddy does indeed pronounce the letter sequence YYZ as "Y-Y-Zed" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ht8_3WYWzo&t=4m49s
I suspect that that was the reason for Kirk's smiley.

But in all seriousness, that is the only reasonable way to pronounce it.

Oh, and dhk, I fixed that part of your post.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

reddpen wrote:No one else said Treme for a drama set in New Orleans?

Poll request: I knew the names of both non-gubernatorial Bush brothers.
I did.

I also predicted the underwager.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Omnivore wrote:I thought Carl and Mel were pretty charming, especially if you know that they watch J! every night in those same chairs in Carl's living room. If you haven't seen their episode of Seinfeld's Coffee with Comedians, I highly recommend it. Mel comes over to Carl's house just about every evening and they eat deli and watch Jeopardy! and a movie. They are adorable.
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't seen that. I agree, they're adorable. They're like an old, happy married couple. It's available online here. And HuffPo has an outtake with some bleeped words where Mel complains about Seinfeld being canceled.

I liked their clues on Jeopardy!. I would have enjoyed them more if I'd known we'd still get through the whole board. As it was, the enjoyment of the moment had to fight with my inner drill sergeant who felt they were eating up clock.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:I liked their clues on Jeopardy!. I would have enjoyed them more if I'd known we'd still get through the whole board. As it was, the enjoyment of the moment had to fight with my inner drill sergeant who felt they were eating up clock.
I'd have to say that that sums up my feelings on the subject.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

buckeyebrain wrote:
bpmod wrote:
dnbguy wrote:Judges: would Up with People have been accepted as half of the supergroup the Village People were a part of?
No. They aren't a band.

Brian
Long time, first time. (So I hope I'm doing this right.)

I was wondering the same thing on the "Led People" clue. I can see your argument, but how do you define a 'band' in this instance? A lack of instruments? If so, do the boy bands in the "(something) Edition" clue play instruments?
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! YOU DID IT WRONG!!!!!!!

:D Welcome to the board, Buckeye.

I think they'd accept Up with People. It fits the category NEW MUSICAL SUPERGROUPS. Alex did gloss that as "the two bands we combined." But I don't think they'd insist on a narrow interpretation of "bands". At most, Alex would neg it, and someone else would pick up the trash and get to keep those points after the reversal.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote:No one else said Treme for a drama set in New Orleans?
I did

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

nserven wrote:I thought Supergroups would have been a better challenge if they named people from two different bands and told us to merge them in some punny way, e.g., Bono, the Edge, Daltrey and Townshend could be U2 Who.
That's a little iffy since you have to omit the the.

So let's put them back in. Matt Johnson, Roger Daltrey, and Pete Townshend. Correct response: What is The The The Who? Or if you let the linking word do double duty, The The Who. Then by Jeopardy! rules, you may omit the leading article to get The Who. :D

Only that wouldn't work because without the leading article, it can be confused with a different group. So it's the old (The) Invisible Man gotcha.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BobF wrote:Bay of Bengal was not quite an instaget, but I found myself thinking of Bays in Asia, I think I went clockwise from the eastern end of Russia before I got to Bengal. Probably would have gotten it sooner if my wife wasn't yelling at me for something silly. :-)
You put the dog in the dishwasher again, didn't you?

Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I'm not Jeopardy material, but I missed DAD and proceded to hit 28 of the next 29. Maybe they hit a couple of wheelhouses, but the first round seemed way too easy. Double Jeopardy rounded back to normal, I got 16.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Perhaps they put in the bit about a horse to give Brooks a funny line.

I wonder what they would have done if one of them had died a few days ago.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:Perhaps they put in the bit about a horse to give Brooks a funny line.
Yeah, I've got no qualms with the horse gag. It is a comedy bit, after all.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
buckeyebrain wrote:
bpmod wrote:
dnbguy wrote:Judges: would Up with People have been accepted as half of the supergroup the Village People were a part of?
No. They aren't a band.

Brian
Long time, first time. (So I hope I'm doing this right.)

I was wondering the same thing on the "Led People" clue. I can see your argument, but how do you define a 'band' in this instance? A lack of instruments? If so, do the boy bands in the "(something) Edition" clue play instruments?
I think they'd accept Up with People.
I can't imagine Up With People being acceptable if First Edition wasn't. I don't think Up With People was in the 'popularity' league of Led Zepplin in the '70's. That is, assuming that First Edition was negged due to "boy band".

Brian

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

UiscePreston wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:YYZ (Person International, Toronto - which, for some reason I've heard pronounced more often as wye-wye-zee than the assumed wye-wye-zed). Y do they do that? Damned if I know!
I didn't get to see this show, so all I know of it is what's on this board.

That said, by long-standing tradition pilots refer to the call letters of airports and their aircraft by the international radio code. So an aircraft with an "N-number" of NABC123" would announce itself to the Approach Controller as "Cessna Alfa Bravo Charlie one-two-three." In return a pilot communicating with the Approach Controller at Toronto Pearson would hear back, "Cessna 123, Toronto Approach, (instructions follow)".

If someone were to use the international code to refer to that airport it would be "Yankee-Yankee-Zulu." (The smaller downtown airport, Toronto Island, is designated Yankee-Tango-Zulu.) You talk to them, they call themselves "Toronto Island."

I'm curious how this question was stated, but it doesn't sound like the information pilots learn.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: I didn't get to see this show, so all I know of it is what's on this board.

I'm curious how this question was stated, but it doesn't sound like the information pilots learn.
They were just asking for the airport code of various locations, and it eventually devolved into Canada trolling us with unrelated to city/airport codes like YYZ. Don't think they actually asked any clues about Canada airports.

4 of the 5 in the tags, I don't recall the 5th right now.
Spoiler
DAD, IOU, LOL, SUX
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
John Boy wrote: I didn't get to see this show, so all I know of it is what's on this board.

They were just asking for the airport code of various locations, and it eventually devolved into Canada trolling us with unrelated to city/airport codes like YYZ. Don't think they actually asked any clues about Canada airports.

4 of the 5 in the tags, I don't recall the 5th right now.
Spoiler
DAD, IOU, LOL, SUX
The last clue asked what the Y in FYI stood for.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

John Boy wrote:That said, by long-standing tradition pilots refer to the call letters of airports and their aircraft by the international radio code. So an aircraft with an "N-number" of NABC123" would announce itself to the Approach Controller as "Cessna Alfa Bravo Charlie one-two-three." In return a pilot communicating with the Approach Controller at Toronto Pearson would hear back, "Cessna 123, Toronto Approach, (instructions follow)".

If someone were to use the international code to refer to that airport it would be "Yankee-Yankee-Zulu." (The smaller downtown airport, Toronto Island, is designated Yankee-Tango-Zulu.) You talk to them, they call themselves "Toronto Island."

I have flown into and/or out of YTZ & YHM in private aircrafts (several times) where I could hear every word of communication between pilot and ATC. I do not recall hearing the airport codes at all during that communication.

Oh, and they might still call themselves "Toronto Island", but the airport's name is Billy Bishop.

Brian

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

If you want a good example of control tower-cockpit comms, this video gives it. It's 15 minutes long (but enjoyable), but the first minute or 2 will give you the gist of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfHl87p7X5o