Tuesday, March 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6797, 2014-03-18

CONTESTANTS
Nora Morrison, a music historian from Cleveland, Ohio
Nick Durazo, a compliance engineer originally from Visalia, California
Gordon Graham, a recent anthropology graduate from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. A big debut win for Gordon Graham on yesterday's program --$28,800. Today, he defends for the first time against Nick and Nora. The only thing missing is Asta. [ laughter ] But we don't let dogs on our stage. All right, good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TED TALKS (4/5) (The conference starting this week.)
QUICK LIT (3/5)
RHYME PAYS (4/5)
THEIR FIRST SOLO ALBUM (5/5)
THE FRENCH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A FUNNY RACE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nick: 15 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Nora: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Gordon: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nick found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Gordon had no money, Nick had $200, and Nora had nothing in the bank. Nick made it a True Daily Double, wagering $200.

THE FRENCH $400: Last name of brothers Andre & Edouard, who noted that with arms, a pile of tires "would make a man"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Nick: $3,800
Gordon: $1,200
Nora: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nora Morrison is a scuba divemaster. So I've got to ask you, where's the best diving in the world?

Nora: As far as I'm concerned, the best in the world is in Hawaii. It's like diving in air. You're, like, floating in air, it's so clear. But I love the little island of Utila, Honduras, where I learned to dive.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Nora: Yeah.

Alex: Do you give instructions, as well?

Nora: I don't, but I can lead dives.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Alex: Nick Durazo, originally from Visalia, California, met his girlfriend while she was wearing a princess hat.

Nick: Yeah, she was --

Alex: Is that a tiara, or...?

Nick: No, not that night. She was visiting her twin sister from Arkansas and had a big, pointy, pink hat. Kind of drew my attention and started talking, and the rest is history.

Alex: Okay, so you started dating?

Nick: Yes.

Alex: And did the twin ever --and the young lady you were dating --ever try to fool you by switching places?

Nick: Luckily, they don't look that much alike, so it wasn't too hard.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Alex: All right, Gordon Graham is our champion. He is from British Columbia. He's a competitive young man. He is a competitive squash player. You don't hear about squash very often. What's the --are there championships in squash, as in other sports?

Gordon: I should emphasize "amateur," but, yes, I compete, and there are every level of squash, as there is tennis.

Alex: Who are the best squash players in the world?

Gordon: Historically and currently, Canadians, Americans, Brits,and, actually, Egyptians.

Alex: Really?

Gordon: Yeah. And squash has gotten a lot more visibility now that they have glass-walled courts, 'cause before, didn't have as many spectators 'cause you couldn't put as many people around the game.

Alex: Right. The glass walls help a lot. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RHYME PAYS $200: To ponder yonder intently
(Alex: Has to rhyme with pays, and it would be [*].)

THE FRENCH $1000: In 2009, 2 art historians wrote it was this Paris-born painter who mutilated van Gogh's ear, with a sword, no less
(Nora: Who's Matisse?)
(Alex: French-born painter who lived with van Gogh for awhile was [*].)

QUICK LIT $400: Henry Fielding's
title foundling
(Gordon: [pause] No.)

QUICK LIT $800: His L.A. novels include
"The Black Dahlia"

TED TALKS $1000: A hallucination in a visually impaired patient is described by this "Awakenings" author
"It's got motion but it's completely silent, like a silent movie" and she said that it's a rather boring movie.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nick: $8,600
Nora: $1,400
Gordon: -$200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE OLD TESTAMENT (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
STATE SONGS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CELEBRITY RELATIVES (4/5)
POTTERY (3/5)
PARTY ON! (4/5)
THE "BLACK"LIST (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gordon: 8 R, 0 W
Nick: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Nora: 6 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nick snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Gordon had $1,000, Nick had $12,600, and Nora was at $3,800. Nick wagered $3,000.

STATE SONGS $800: 2 college students wrote its state song, which ends, "hailing thee their Northern Star"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Nora who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Gordon had $5,000, Nick had $16,400, and Nora was at $6,200. Nora made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,200.

THE OLD TESTAMENT $2000: In I Kings 20 this king has a whale of a time defeating the Damascenes
(Nora: Who's Jonah?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POTTERY $800: Hard paste, soft paste & bone China are the 3 main types of this ceramic

STATE SONGS $1600: Terre Haute, Ind., on this river, was the hometown of Paul Dresser, who wrote "On The Banks Of" this river, far away
(Nora: What's the Swanee River?)

CELEBRITY RELATIVES $1200: No, it isn't J.R. and Miss Ellie, but this actor and his mom, Broadway star Mary Martin

POTTERY $2000: This potter's queen's ware was named for queen Charlotte, the wife of George III, for whom it was originally made

PARTY ON! $1200: 1995:
Ross Perot, who founded it that year

THE OLD TESTAMENT $800: This sailor was the son of Lamech & the father of Ham
(Nora: Who's Job?)
(Nick: Who's Jonah?)

STATE SONGS $2000: One of Colorado's state songs mentions this official state flower in its title & lyrics
(Nora: What's the bluebell?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nick: $16,800
Gordon: $10,200
Nora: -$2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Nick: Wager $3,601 to cover Gordon.
Gordon: You have the hope of surpassing Nick if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $10,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The author of more than 50 books, he won 6 Hugo awards & was nominated for a 1968 Oscar

FINAL SCORES
Gordon: $10,200 + $10,200 = $20,400 (Who was A C Clarke?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Nick: $16,800 + $3,601 = $20,401 (Who is Arthur C. Clarke?) (New champion: $20,401)
(Alex: If you knew the Hugo awards were awarded for science fiction that would've been a big help.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nick: $14,800, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Gordon: $10,200, 12 R, 3 W
Nora: $4,200, 12 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $29,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Nick: 24/60 = .400
Gordon: 13/58 = .224
Nora: 12/59 = .203
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
RHYME PAYS $400: Proverbially, "a month of" them is a long long time
(Nick: What are days?)

RHYME PAYS $1000: Judicial stoppages, like of executions
(Nora: What is a stay?)
(Alex: [*], yes that's it, the plural, it has to rhyme with pays, not singular.)

QUICK LIT $1000: He created
Tinker Bell
(Gordon: Who is Hans Christian Andersen?)

TED TALKS $200: Activism but no guitar in the Ted talk by this man
Might we answer that clarion call with science, with reason, with facts?

TED TALKS $400: Head coach John Wooden earned 620 wins with 3 rules at this school
And the third one was never criticize a teammate, I didn't want that, I used to tell them I was paid to do that.
(Nick: What is [*] - my alma mater.)

TED TALKS $600: This Facebook C.O.O. had advice for women in the workplace
Because no one gets to the corner office by sitting on the side, not at the table.
[Alex clarified C.O.O. to be chief Operating Officer]

TED TALKS $800: Different ways of thinking come from Temple Grandin, diagnosed with this disorder
I think in pictures, I don't think in language.
(Gordon: What is synesthesia?)

A FUNNY RACE $200: As you might surmise the London race shown here took place during this month

A FUNNY RACE $400: Cooper's Hill in Gloucestershire is a good place to watch fans chase a wheel of this dairy product down a steep incline

A FUNNY RACE $600: Tallinn, in this country, hosted a different kind of dance marathon

CELEBRITY RELATIVES $2000: Pictured here is this buxom blonde mother of Mariska Hargitay of Law & Order: SVU

CORRECT RESPONSES
Michelin
gaze
Gauguin
Tom Jones
James Ellroy
Oliver Sacks
Minnesota
Ahab
porcelain
the Wabash
Larry Hagman
Wedgwood
the Reform Party
Noah
the columbine
A(rthur) C. Clarke
Sundays
stays
J.M. Barrie
Bono
UCLA
Sheryl Sandberg
autism
December
cheese
Estonia
Jayne Mansfield
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

British Authors
The author of more than 50 books, he won 6 Hugo Awards & was nominated for a 1968 Oscar.

Spoiler
Who is Arthur C. Clarke?

Nick Durazo: $16,800+$3,601=$20,401...now a 1-day champion with $20,401
Gordon Graham: $10,200+$10,200=$20,400
Nora Morrison: (-$2,000)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The rerun game had a clue about the Michelin Man.

I fell into the same Capt. Jonah trap. I had never heard of King Ahab so went with Jonah. Loved her pointing off stage as Alex said she was out for FJ.

A two player FJ in a crush game is an easy wagering scenario and both got it right. Nice run by Gordon at the end to get bac in the game.

Could not drag out Clarke's name and put down Asimov just to have something.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash on "Gaze" and "Wabash".

Champ had a major case of the pauses, and we didn't even get close to an LTAM? Surprised.

====

Albums was a 2/5. Clammed on MJ, lost the coin flip on Collins/Gabriel at $800, and didn't realize Fergie had any solo work. I'm surprised the latter wasn't a TS since Fergie only had one solo album 8 years ago, and even the Black Eyed Peas are nowhere now.

What was the TOM for Lourdes on French for $800?

"Wait, why didn't they take stay?" Derp, because it doesn't rhyme with "payS", stupid. I clammed since I wasn't sure, and ended up 4/5 there.

What was supposed to lead to Bono on Ted Talks for $200? Temple Grandin = autism was my only get there.

That'll be the only time I ever run a "Race".

===

I somehow recognized Amy Winehouse = "Rehab", but couldn't put an album to it. Blackstrap was a stupid miss.

What was the TOM for Minnesota on the DD in State Songs? "Northern star" is a very obscure connection to Minnesota IMO. I almost WAGged Alaska.

"How are the mighty _____" threw me because all the other clues to that point had wanted names. Somehow failed to process Noah as a sailor, too.

"Whale of a time? You already DID Ishmael!… Oh, duh."

NHO Josh Brolin.

====

I knew Hugo = sci-fi, but that information totally eluded me in the 30 seconds. No guess whatsoever.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

This is perhaps my best day for Lach Trash ever. I consider porcelain my best spot of the three or so Lach Trash questions I got, although there were two others that I cannot recall at the moment.

I'm not sure I understand mathematically Nora's TDD, especially that late in the game. Maybe it made mathematical sense, but I might have only bet enough to be within about half of our winner.

I fell for Jonah too. I'm amused at the double Moby Dick inclusion, though I wouldn't think laterally enough to use it as a connection ever, I think.

I thought the Hugo awards were for children's books (probably confused it for another type), and said Roald Dahl.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I am sorry that Nora was out - I liked her a lot. Good on her for the ballsy DD bet.

Judging by my following of the #Jeopardy hashtag on Twitter, every straight woman who watches the show is gonna miss Gordon.

Picked up Lach Trash on gaze, Wabash, reform, and Noah (come on dudes, they even spotted you "sailor").

Pre-called Bono even before they showed that video clip. If they're going to do clues in the form of "here is a picture, who is this person" couldn't they choose someone who's not one of the most famous faces on the planet?

Anyone else miss with Alaska on the North Star clue? I should have been thinking hockey.

"Hugo Award" and "1968 Oscar" were enough for me to instaget Clarke.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead to Bono on Ted Talks for $200?
His Irish accent, and his face (he's one of the most famous popular musicians of the past quarter-century, and is also known for being a pop music star who dabbles in activism or humanitarianism).
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

UniquePerspective wrote:
I thought the Hugo awards were for children's books (probably confused it for another type), and said Roald Dahl.
That's the Newbery! Pretty sure that's only for American authors though.
UniquePerspective

TenPoundHammer wrote:

What was the TOM for Lourdes on French for $800?

What was supposed to lead to Bono on Ted Talks for $200?

What was the TOM for Minnesota on the DD in State Songs? "Northern star" is a very obscure connection to Minnesota IMO. I almost WAGged Alaska.
In order:

Lourdes has always had a biblical connection to her I believe, and checking it after the fact, she's known as the Lady of Lourdes.

What he looked like and his voice. He's a public enough figure that I got that immediately.

North Star is very commonly linked to Minnesota. It used to be the name of their hockey team, which is how I know it. I too realized it too late, but immediately recognized Northern Star as the TOM after the fact.
esrever

Post by esrever »

UniquePerspective wrote:This is perhaps my best day for Lach Trash ever.
It was a great day for Lach trash for me, also. I got "gaze", "Tom Jones", "porcelain", "Wabash", "Larry Hagman", "Noah", and "columbine"

Didn't get FJ.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Gordon might have won had he stayed awake.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TPH, you have to be the only guy on the planet who could get "Wabash" but not recognize Bono's face.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

esrever wrote:It was a great day for Lach trash for me, also. I got "gaze", "Tom Jones", "porcelain", "Wabash", "Larry Hagman", "Noah", and "columbine"
I got all of those except "gaze" -- sometimes I'm slow to kick into gear with the first clue in a wordplay category. Same thing happened to all three contestants.

It didn't help that on my scoresheet, I wrote down "rhyme" for the category title, but didn't write down "pays".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Dahl wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so there is a possible Oscar connection there. I don't know if he had anything to do with the movie, but it is a plausable guess.

Did Alex say ahead of time the questions would rhyme with pays?
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UniquePerspective

esrever wrote: It was a great day for Lach trash for me, also. I got "gaze", "Tom Jones", "porcelain", "Wabash", "Larry Hagman", "Noah", and "columbine"
That reminded me that Hagman and Noah were my other two. Tom Jones I would have had no idea, gaze just didn't come to me in time, columbine I had no idea was a flower (though it makes sense), and I frankly have never heard of a Wabash river (damn New York and your Hudson brainwashing 80% of other rivers out of me).
billiej

Post by billiej »

zakharov wrote:
Judging by my following of the #Jeopardy hashtag on Twitter, every straight woman who watches the show is gonna miss Gordon.
I didn't want to be the one to say it... ;)

I seemed to have a lot of trash in this game, although I can't remember specifics now.

FJ took me about 20 seconds or so, but got it as soon as I started to think of SciFi movies around that timeframe.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Not a great night for me tonight. Fell into the Jonah/Ahab trap, didn't get Michelin. Did pick up Lach Trash on Reform Party though. For FJ I knew that Hugo = sci-fi, but I got stuck on sci-fi = Asimov, even though he didn't fit the category.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

Bamaman wrote:Did Alex say ahead of time the questions would rhyme with pays?
No, he didn't - at least not when the category was revealed. Only after the $200 was a TS did he explain what they were looking for. I guess when a category is as ridiculously elementary as that, the only way to make it difficult is by not cluing the contestants in.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Bamaman wrote:Did Alex say ahead of time the questions would rhyme with pays?
He didn't, but this format ("Rhyme [word every correct response will rhyme with]") has been used often enough. A quick browse through the J-Archive: 12/17/13, 1/21/14, and 3/12/14 - just last week! Something similar was done on 10/29/13 and 12/14/13.