Wednesday, March 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by El Jefe »

ElendilPickle wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Half of the time Alex screws up a movie quote rhythm or accent too much to appreciate it, but he honored the Airplane! line awesomely. (MOVIE QUOTES- $1600
I got this because someone posted a link to it here not long ago.
Yes! I posted that clip a while back- you should really see the whole thing if you get the chance. Without looking I'd say AFI would put it in the top 20 comedy movies of all time. *checks*- Yup, #10
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

aeq5006 wrote:
naurae29 wrote:Your KKK analogy is inapposite.
No analogy is perfect. The pertinent similarity holds: the person is expressing blatant bigotry.
Yeah, if exchanging currency with G-D on it is also blatant bigotry. It's as bigoted as those proselytizers John Denver and George Burns were when they launched their offensive Oh God! You Devil campaign of cinematic indoctrination.

Frankly, aeq, over on the thread where you talked unsupported trash about Arthur we are feeling quite jealous. I mean, willingness to say incendiary things here to prove a point (of some kind): mission accomplished! But Jeebus, earlier your Joe McCarthy act got checked and you have nothing further to say? Are we no longer going steady? Are you taking back your friendship ring?

Enjoy living under that bridge.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

I just watched the interview again to be sure I wasn't missing some sort of malicious subtext or white hood or something like that. Seems like a nice lady.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Golf, that was an awesome catch on the FJ clue. A reminder for me to pay attention to every word. I guessed Madonna but it was just that, a guess.

Most of me wants the other nonsense in this thread to end immediately but a small part of me also wants to see Godwin's Law play out and I think it's pretty close to that point.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

Budphrey wrote:
econgator wrote:
chalupabatman786 wrote:Was it just me, or did Trebek mispronounce Joakim Noah's first name?
He did -- should be more like JO-a-kim.
I've already deleted the show from the DVR and I can't rightly remember how Alex pronounced it. The Chicago sportscasters all say joe-keem, so judge from that. (It's inconsistent which syllable gets emphasis.)
Short of getting Joakim to sound it out for us, we do have a very reliable source of information in his own father, French tennis great Yannick Noah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcv9bGJ7EYA&t=1m22s. To my ear, it does indeed sound like [joe-keem] - with a bit more stress on the first syllable.

Alex's pronunciation - [YO-uh-keem] - was more in line with an interpretation using German phonological rules.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Please note that I've done some significant pruning here. Some innocent posts may have been lost in the process, and for that, I apologize. I'm not going to tolerate incivility on here or unnecessary obscenity. Consider the thread to be on double secret probation, as well as any intemperate posters. There are better ways to express ourselves. Any questions? Read the "Read Me First" thread or contact me directly.

Thank you,
The Management
BobF

Post by BobF »

I was knocking around going with either Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand for FJ, obviously neither would have done it.

It was cool having my 9-year old in the room during the kiddie lit category, the show actually held his attention for that one category (unfortunately he'd rather watch Spongebob Squarepants all 20 times it's on one of our 3-4 Nickelodeon channels). He got one that I missed and I helped him on Harry the ____ Dog.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

It's amazing that, with twin 6-year olds, and thinking I had read thousands of children's books thus far, I'd NHO those last two clues in the Children's Lit category. I did crush that Investment category, though.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote:This is getting weird... for the second time this week I ran the J board.
I don't think so, buddy. Alietr run JBoard.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:It's amazing that, with twin 6-year olds, and thinking I had read thousands of children's books thus far, I'd NHO those last two clues in the Children's Lit category. I did crush that Investment category, though.
Like you and TPH, I had never heard of the bottom two books in the children's lit category. I don't have any kids, though.

I find that in general, children's literature is kind of an odd category. I find it to be more of an "all or nothing" category -- if you happen to have read the exact book in question as a child, or read it to your own kids, then you'll get it, but otherwise you won't.

I don't really "catch up on recent trends" in children's literature -- unless maybe if I worked in an elementary school library or something. It's not something I would think to study up on. Either I know a specific book from my own childhood, or I don't.

(Obviously it's *possible* to make a point of brushing up on children's lit, but it's one of those categories where we neglect to do so.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Woof wrote:This is getting weird... for the second time this week I ran the J board.
I don't think so, buddy. Alietr run JBoard.
OK, that was funny, my fine feathered friend.
Mike_S30
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Mike_S30 »

MarkBarrett wrote:It was great to see the Team Players handled first and well although Gabor's confidence level on those and many other clues was lacking.

Hope Mike Shairo was watching tonight: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8745
Haha! I didn't see the episode but my parents were watching and posted the clip of Facebook for me.

I was an answer on Jeopardy! :lol:
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

[quote} OK, I'm really not sure how many people saw through the clue, but after the above comments it's obvious they did not. So I apologize in advance if the reason nobody has mentioned it because it was obvious.

The clue said "Beiber and Gaga", not Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga. In a trivia question that is unusual incomplete information, so why did they do that? To lead the players to a one-named artist. And that one named artist had to be around well before the other two because that kind of information is somewhat subjective, so they weren't going to leave any doubt it was much earlier. Therefore Madonna was the obvious answer although Cher is not a bad guess.[/quote]

Neither was Beyoncé or Rihanna. So, with at least four possible answers out there, maybe the answer wasn't so obvious after all.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

nserven wrote:I really hate these music sales stat FJs.
Likewise. While I recognize anything is fair game to be a clue, this strikes me as the sort of obscure, you-know-it-or-you-don't that I hate.

I couldn't figure how long someone had to have been in the business to be no longer considered a newcomer, and guessed Lady Gaga (although I thought if she had been the right answer the clue would have been a trick question, as it said "singer" while all she is is a self-promoter).
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

thenextofken wrote:
Golf wrote: OK, I'm really not sure how many people saw through the clue, but after the above comments it's obvious they did not. So I apologize in advance if the reason nobody has mentioned it because it was obvious.

The clue said "Beiber and Gaga", not Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga. In a trivia question that is unusual incomplete information, so why did they do that? To lead the players to a one-named artist. And that one named artist had to be around well before the other two because that kind of information is somewhat subjective, so they weren't going to leave any doubt it was much earlier. Therefore Madonna was the obvious answer although Cher is not a bad guess.
Neither was Beyoncé or Rihanna. So, with at least four possible answers out there, maybe the answer wasn't so obvious after all.
Reread this:
Golf wrote:And that one named artist had to be around well before the other two because that kind of information is somewhat subjective, so they weren't going to leave any doubt it was much earlier.
(emphasis added)

Also,
John Boy wrote:I couldn't figure how long someone had to have been in the business to be no longer considered a newcomer, and guessed Lady Gaga (although I thought if she had been the right answer the clue would have been a trick question, as it said "singer" while all she is is a self-promoter).
Wait. You guessed Lady Gaga when "Gaga" was named in the clue?
Last edited by naurae29 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

John Boy wrote:
nserven wrote:I really hate these music sales stat FJs.
Likewise. While I recognize anything is fair game to be a clue, this strikes me as the sort of obscure, you-know-it-or-you-don't that I hate.

I couldn't figure how long someone had to have been in the business to be no longer considered a newcomer, and guessed Lady Gaga (although I thought if she had been the right answer the clue would have been a trick question, as it said "singer" while all she is is a self-promoter).
Even though Gaga was in the clue as a comparison? DId you think Gaga and Lady Gaga were different people?
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

skullturf wrote:
jeopardyhopeful wrote:It's amazing that, with twin 6-year olds, and thinking I had read thousands of children's books thus far, I'd NHO those last two clues in the Children's Lit category. I did crush that Investment category, though.
Like you and TPH, I had never heard of the bottom two books in the children's lit category. I don't have any kids, though.

I find that in general, children's literature is kind of an odd category. I find it to be more of an "all or nothing" category -- if you happen to have read the exact book in question as a child, or read it to your own kids, then you'll get it, but otherwise you won't.

I don't really "catch up on recent trends" in children's literature -- unless maybe if I worked in an elementary school library or something. It's not something I would think to study up on. Either I know a specific book from my own childhood, or I don't.

(Obviously it's *possible* to make a point of brushing up on children's lit, but it's one of those categories where we neglect to do so.)
There's plenty of categories like this, where you know it if it's something that interests you and you follow it, or if it's something you paid attention to when it came out (i.e. categories about non-current sitcoms, or war movies, or classic films that aren't award-winners). But I think they're really unlikely to ask about recent trends in kids' books except very occasionally where they ask about a newer book, usually one that's won awards AND been in the news. In the teen tournament, they asked about the Terry Pratchett book "I Shall Wear Midnight" and other more recent books, but I don't recall them ever doing that in a regular adult game. If you know books from your childhood and the big well-known ones since then, you'll get most of them.

Since children's lit is an interest of mine, I ran the category. Nothing very obscure in it, though Harry the Dirty Dog is less well known now, so people in their 20s (maybe 30s?) and under might not know it. I read it as a kid and it was in a lot of classrooms then.

I didn't get a whole children's lit category, but I did get a Harry Potter question in my second game ("This 3-headed dog guards a forbidden floor at Hogwarts in the Harry Potter books") and answered it correctly.
Spoiler
Who is Fluffy?
Harry Potter comes up a fair amount - it's very famous, sold tons of copies, and there are the movies as well as the books.

If you wanted to study up a little (but sadly for me, the questions don't really come up often enough on the show to be worth studying), here are the two lists I'd recommend looking at just to familiarize yourself with titles and authors, by a children's librarian/blogger from the NYPL (you'd probably recognize the majority of books on both lists). These lists are both from polls of her readers, who are largely children's librarians, teachers, writers, parents, and kidlit fans (I voted in both polls). I wouldn't spend a lot of time studying it, but you could just look over the titles and authors at some point - half of the top 10 picture books list come up quite a bit. Harry the Dirty Dog is #43.

Top 100 Picture Books: http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/2 ... l-results/
Top 100 Children's Novels: http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/2 ... oll-1-100/
Last edited by periwinkle on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Mike_S30 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:It was great to see the Team Players handled first and well although Gabor's confidence level on those and many other clues was lacking.

Hope Mike Shairo was watching tonight: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8745
Haha! I didn't see the episode but my parents were watching and posted the clip of Facebook for me.

Has that happened before? Using a clip of a player in a clue that isn't a celebrity? ("Celebrity" in this case will include Ken and Brad and other people that have gained a reasonable modicum of fame from Jeopardy!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Mike_S30
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Mike_S30 »

dhkendall wrote:
Mike_S30 wrote:

Has that happened before? Using a clip of a player in a clue that isn't a celebrity? ("Celebrity" in this case will include Ken and Brad and other people that have gained a reasonable modicum of fame from Jeopardy!)
I did find it a bit strange - how did the video add anything to the 'clue'? If anything, it made the question more difficult because the player has to listen to Alex closely rather than reading ahead on the board...

Anyways, I will take the extra 4 seconds of fame :) If you count each episode as 15 minutes, then I'm officially up to 45:04 :geek:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:Has that happened before? Using a clip of a player in a clue that isn't a celebrity? ("Celebrity" in this case will include Ken and Brad and other people that have gained a reasonable modicum of fame from Jeopardy!)
That reminds me of one clue where they showed a picture of Johnny Gilbert and it went something like: "It's the occupation of the man seen here." "What is an announcer?" "Be more specific." "Who is Johnny the announcer?" "Yes."
Golf wrote:The clue said "Beiber and Gaga", not Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga. In a trivia question that is unusual incomplete information, so why did they do that? To lead the players to a one-named artist. And that one named artist had to be around well before the other two because that kind of information is somewhat subjective, so they weren't going to leave any doubt it was much earlier. Therefore Madonna was the obvious answer although Cher is not a bad guess.
That sounds like the kind of contrived logic some people use to find the number 23 in everything. And this is coming from someone who liked The Number 23.
skullturf wrote:

Sometimes I can get it because I've seen it in a bookstore, or heard my mom (a semi-retired elementary school teacher) mention it, not because I've read it myself as a child. (For instance, I don't think I ever read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, but I was somehow very well aware of it before the movie. I was later surprised to see the name Ron Barrett in Games and Cracked magazines.)