JBoard Demographic Survey

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Into Which Age Bracket Do You Fit?

Not of legal drinking age (under 21)
5%
21-30
24%
31-40
23%
41-50
20%
51-60
19%
61-70
8%
70+
0%

Total votes: 213

rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: JBoard Demographic Survey

Post by rmfromfla » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 pm

No lunch breaks in school for me -- had to endure the wrath of greasy pizza & something the school called chicken & rice! :shock:

Plus in the late '60s, some TV markets like ours had dual affiliation, & so when the original Jeopardy! was on sometimes, we'd wind up getting ABC &
Password instead....

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:09 am

44 here, remember the Fleming 1978 version, was 5 when the last original Fleming NBC show aired but don't remember it.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm 46 and remember watching the Fleming version with my mother. It aired sometime around lunchtime and while I did not get to leave school, I did get to see it during school breaks. I had a chalkboard desk where I would keep score as the game went along.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Woof wrote:On the Internet I am a dog (or am I a fish?). :mrgreen:
Lwaxana Troi thinks you're Security Chief of the Enterprise-D.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:29 am

Paucle wrote:
Woof wrote:On the Internet I am a dog (or am I a fish?). :mrgreen:
Lwaxana Troi thinks you're Security Chief of the Enterprise-D.
<rimshot>

Christy
Contributor

Post by Christy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:06 am

This deserves a bump, since there have been several new users (including myself) coming onto JBoard in the last few weeks. I participated in this survey, and perhaps some of the others might want to as well.

gem
Contributor

Post by gem » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:35 am

Let's bump this again. New users keep flocking to JBoard, I among them.

alegra911
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by alegra911 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:22 pm

zakharov wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:We should show these poll results to the Jeopardy producers and make a case for bringing back the Seniors Tournament.
Get in line behind the "Millenials Who Need To Pay Off Their Student Debt" Tournament
Couldn't resist this post from the first page of the thread - that was the 2009 TOC (all 3 finalists under 30, 2 grad students and a law school grad)

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:37 pm

So 21-30 is the most represented age range on here, at least among people who voted!? I'm also surprised that we don't have a single septuagenarian! I guess that younger people might be more likely to vote, but wow.

ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 pm

StevenH wrote:So 21-30 is the most represented age range on here, at least among people who voted!? I'm also surprised that we don't have a single septuagenarian! I guess that younger people might be more likely to vote, but wow.
We also have dead boardies, sadly. RIP --Pete.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:05 pm

ahirbhairav wrote:
StevenH wrote:So 21-30 is the most represented age range on here, at least among people who voted!? I'm also surprised that we don't have a single septuagenarian! I guess that younger people might be more likely to vote, but wow.
However, they are unlikely to vote in this survey.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:43 pm

ElendilPickle wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote:
Unless they live in Chicago. :lol:

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:46 pm

ElendilPickle wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote:
No. They are too busy voting for Canada's parliament.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 am

As I've said before a few times, I am currently 21 years old. I was only 16 years old when this poll was first released. I was born in 1998, later than a lot of others on this board. I was never into any of the classic game shows such as Match Game, Family Feud, Hollywood Squares etc. I have always been way more into puzzles and quizzes than just plain old fun and games. As a millennial, I am on my computer a lot. For years now, I've been watching old and new episodes of all the well known UK quiz shows such as University Challenge, Mastermind, Only Connect, Fifteen to One, Pointless, and Eggheads, all shows dedicated towards Brainiac Knowledge. Whereas a lot of shows over here(particularly the older ones) don't have that "luxury" as I like to call it. Watching an old episode of Tic-Tac-Dough or The Joker's Wild and also an Art Fleming version of Jeopardy!, the player always chooses the TV category when an option just makes me sick. "There isn't enough Academia in these shows" I say to myself. As I am currently in college, I devote my time to Academics. I also enjoy watching cartoons that not too many people have even heard of such as Snooper & Blabber(hence the Snooper in my username), Littlest Pet Shop(where my avatar is from), Aggretsuko, The Animals of Farthing Wood, Fox Busters(Based on the books by Dick King Smith), and All Dogs Go to Heaven (the Series). Most of my peers watch Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Orange is the New Black, The Walking Dead, Parks and Rec etc. My 18 year old sister loves watching Friends, The Office, and How I Met Your Mother. I differ significantly from everyone in terms of favorite TV. When people ask me what my favorite TV shows or movies are, I always refuse to answer because I worry that they will either make fun of me or say, "What is that?" or "I have no idea what that is." or "Never heard of it." I would always feel embarrassed if I brought it up. As a person on the Autistic Spectrum, I am a unique individual even amongst my peers, and I am proud of it. :D

I may have gone off topic with my story, but I just felt like sharing myself as a 21 year old and how much I stand out compared to others. Also, although I am now the legal drinking age, I am never planning on drinking alcohol ever. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 126.5k games
Alpaca Farm: 1253 quizzes
Sporcle: 5,560 quizzes
...and still quizzing

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Vanya wrote:
Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:57 am
60 is the new 40.
70 is the new, uh, what were we talking about?

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm

When this poll was first posted, there were no respondents in the 70+ bracket. I am now over 70, and I would not be surprised if a few other boardies are, as well. I hope so, anyway. Being the oldest person in the room is not something I relish.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:24 pm

pinkfreud wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm
When this poll was first posted, there were no respondents in the 70+ bracket. I am now over 70, and I would not be surprised if a few other boardies are, as well. I hope so, anyway. Being the oldest person in the room is not something I relish.
It has been over five years so I would imagine you aren’t the only one who is in that group as there were 13 in the 61-70 group then.

I have also moved up to the 51-60 group. But just barely.

GettysburgPhillyFan

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Despite the many on Twitter who believe I should have been in the Teen Tournament, I am 21!

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:51 pm

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 pm
Despite the many on Twitter who believe I should have been in the Teen Tournament, I am 21!
I need two forms of ID and a note from your parents.
:)

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:25 pm

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 pm
$100,000 invested with a return rate of 8% over 44 years is $2.96 million. Except for those pesky taxes. And student loans. And, you know, living life.