Wednesday, April 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Mark B wrote:
reddpen wrote:Like a lot of folks, I was blown away by Larissa's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn DD get, and then by alluvial.
Oh, alluvial I got right away. Pyloric sphincter on the other hand...not so much. I thought that was a pretty special get. Plus, she got to say sphincter on TV.
Yup to both.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

skullturf wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:I fell for Ingrid Bergman and not Greta Garbo. What else was in that clue besides Swedish and American?
If I remember correctly, the clue gave a year.

However, that's probably not an enormous giveaway, as it turns out there was only ten years' difference in the birthdates of those two actresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingrid_Bergman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Garbo
It's enough. I considered both, opted for Bergman, and didn't check my work. After the reveal, I realized my guess meant Bergman would have been 36 when she played Ilsa Lund in Casablanca. Not a chance.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

georgespelvin wrote:However, once Larissa negged on a response that included "self" but not "self-e", they could not retape without having some of the game not being transparent to viewers (probably a last resort under Standards and Practices). The easier solution was just to have Alex admit the error and give Larissa the money.
rschumac12 wrote:Yeah, I noticed that right away and just figured the three of us would all see that the "E" was included and go with it. But of course they were also right to credit Larissa considering what happened.
wait, wait. the way i remember it, they didn't actually give her the money or credit her with a correct response. when she hit the DD, they refunded her $800 for the neg, but they did not give her another $800 for a correct response. it's as if the clue never happened.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Right. There's no way "self-taught" can be correct in a "self-e" category, regardless of Alex's explanation failure.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jpahk wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:However, once Larissa negged on a response that included "self" but not "self-e", they could not retape without having some of the game not being transparent to viewers (probably a last resort under Standards and Practices). The easier solution was just to have Alex admit the error and give Larissa the money.
rschumac12 wrote:Yeah, I noticed that right away and just figured the three of us would all see that the "E" was included and go with it. But of course they were also right to credit Larissa considering what happened.
wait, wait. the way i remember it, they didn't actually give her the money or credit her with a correct response. when she hit the DD, they refunded her $800 for the neg, but they did not give her another $800 for a correct response. it's as if the clue never happened.
I think the above comments could mean either that they gave her back the money or gave her credit for a right answer. Alex's statement "So we're going to give you back the $800" was also less than clear since he never reminded us he was talking about an $800 clue.

In any event, thank you for pointing this out. I definitely misunderstood what had happened and assumed it had been a regular old neg-reversal on a response later judged correct. Now that I understand what actually happened, I'm even more content with the judges' decision.

Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

skullturf wrote:
periwinkle wrote:And I have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn so many times, love that book and Betty Smith's three other books, and couldn't get anything more than 'ailanthus? sounds kind of familiar, but what on earth book has a plant in the title?' Sigh.
That's better than I did. I don't remember what I said, if anything, but I didn't clue in that "ailanthus" referred to a plant. I thought it might be an animal.

That was one of the rare DD gets where I actually shouted "Wow!" at my TV screen.
I guess this is the part I get to brag. Instaget here. One time I was doing some serious weeding of my back patio and had a bunch of those damn plants to exterminate. In the DC/Baltimore area we refer to them as "ghetto palms" because when they're young and small they look like miniature palms. (If you've seen a little tree growing out of a crack in a parking lot in the eastern half of the USA, it was probably this thing.) Later that day I decided to go look up on the interwebs what the heck those things were.

Ailanthus altissima, known to the Chinese as the "tree of heaven." They can actually get pretty big, and when fully grown they don't look half-bad (which is why they were imported from Europe/Asia as ornamental trees) but they're the first things that size to come down in storms and grow in places they're not wanted so in North America they're universally considered noxious weeds. The Wikipedia article on them mentioned that the title of "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" refers to a Tree of Heaven.

As someone who knows Larissa (albeit not well) and played quiz bowl against her a few times, I was sitting there hoping Larissa would get it too. She did me proud.

Too bad I couldn't send her my vibes to get FJ, which I also got. In that case it was a guess based on time frame and the word "Tatarstan" pointing me towards Russia. Suleiman is roughly the right time frame but as a Muslim himself would be unlikely to destroy a mosque. :(
Yes, there's gas in the car.