Wednesday, April 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6808, 2014-04-02

Battle of the Decades: The 2000s game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Russ Schumacher, a university professor from Fort Collins, Colorado
Larissa Kelly, an editor for academic competitions from Richmond, California
Tom Kavanaugh, a personal trainer, filmmaker, and singer from St. Louis, Missouri

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. This is turning into quite a week. If the past is prologue, I can't wait to see what happens in this half-hour. Tom, you weren't trying to intimidate me with that macho pose, were you?

Tom: Yes, I was.

[Laughter]

Tom: Did it work?

Alex: No.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good luck, guys. Here we go with the Jeopardy! Round. And these categories now in play.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW IN THE 2000s (4/5)
AMERICAN IDYLL (4/5)
TWEETING (4/5)
LOCAL FOOD MOVEMENT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BINGE WATCHING (4/5)
"SELF-E"s (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Larissa: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Russ: 7 R, 2 W
Tom: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Larissa found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Tom had $1,000, Larissa had $2,800, and Russ had a deficit with -$600. Larissa made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

LOCAL FOOD MOVEMENT $800: A main function of the large intestine is the absorption of these current-conducting compounds

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Larissa: $6,600
Tom: $1,000
Russ: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Russ Schumacher is a university professor from Colorado. Now, when you're a champion on Jeopardy!, people recognize you, and they remember not only the good things, but the bad things, and some of your friends --I assume still friends --remembered you for a mistake you made. Do you recall what it was?

Russ: Yeah. I haven't disowned all of those friends yet.

Alex: No?

Russ: Just a few of them. No. Yeah, so it was the fifth game in my original run of shows, and the Final came up and it was about the Monty Python "Spam" sketch that then became the name for spam e-mail. And so, I missed it. In some way, I had never heard that sketch before, so I missed it, and then afterwards, people were singing that to me, the song from that --"Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam" --so I'm well familiar with it now.

Alex: Did they send you cans of it?

Russ: Oh, yes. I have several in my office right now. [laughs]

Alex: Okay. Fry them. It's good fried.

Russ: Okay.

Alex: Larissa Kelly. She won $222,000 and change --the most by a woman. And now working with your husband on doing what exactly?

Larissa: We edit questions for academic competitions.

Alex: I see. Are you trying to set yourself up as a rival down the road for Jeopardy!? Are you gonna take away our audience?

Larissa: I'm coming for you, Alex. [laughs]

Alex: Oh! Remember yesterday? Another one today.

[Laughter]

Alex: Tom Kavanaugh. Million dollars at stake in this tournament, and if you win it, you're going to spend a lot of it to work on a documentary. What's the documentary about?

Tom: It's on sweatshop labor and --

Alex: In our country?

Tom: In our country and around the world. So, I went to Bangladesh about 10 years ago and toured a garment factory, and I thought, "What if I saw a shirt that I was wearing being made by these people?" So, it's to try to put a face on who makes our clothes, and maybe you can find out the names of the 8-year-olds who made your fancy suit there, Alex.

[Audience "ohh!"s and laughs]

Tom: What, was that too low? Was that a low blow?

[Laughter]

Alex: Larissa, give him a shot.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"SELF-E"s $800: Adjective for an autodidact
(Larissa: What is self-taught?)
(Alex: Self-taught, [*]. No. And I gave the correct response. Sorry about that.)
(Alex: [before the Daily Double at clue 14] I think perhaps I misled all three of you a little while ago when I read the categories. I said "SELF-E"s, S-E-L-F in quotation marks, but the "E" was in quotation marks, so your response of "self-taught" may have been because of my mistake. So, we're gonna give you back the $800.)

TWEETING $1000: The song of this North American insect eater is its name
(Larissa: What is a warbler?)
(Russ: What is a fly catcher?)

BINGE WATCHING $1000: In 1975, 2 years after playing Regan MacNeil, she was the lead in "Sarah T.--Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic"

NEW IN THE 2000s $800: In 2012 Joanna Rohrback put out a book & a video called this, her exercise technique that emulates a horse's gait

AMERICAN IDYLL $1000: In 1524 Giovanni da Verrazzano described the U.S. Atlantic coast as this, a mythic Greek term for an unspoiled utopia

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Larissa: $8,400
Russ: $2,800
Tom: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN ON U.S. STAMPS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POP QUIZ (4/5)
MOUNTAIN RANGES (5/5)
19th CENTURY ART & ARTISTS (4/5)
LITERARY TITLES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SAME FIRST & LAST 2 LETTERS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Larissa: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Russ: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Tom: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Larissa snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Tom had $4,400, Larissa had $13,600, and Russ was at $8,000. Larissa wagered $3,600.

LITERARY TITLES $1200: The title of this 1943 bestseller refers to an Ailanthus

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Russ who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Tom had $5,200, Larissa had $22,800, and Russ was at $10,400. Russ wagered $5,000.

WOMEN ON U.S. STAMPS $800: In 2005, for what would have been her 100th birthday, the U.S. & Sweden issued stamps featuring this movie legend

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP QUIZ $2000: Spudboys in Energy-Dome hats are fans of this band

19th CENTURY ART & ARTISTS $1600: This artist who gained fame illustrating books by Owen Wister is seen here in a self-portrait on a horse

WOMEN ON U.S. STAMPS $2000: "God Bless America" & this beloved singer who was honored on a stamp in 2010

LITERARY TITLES $1600: Owned by black sharecroppers, this title dog was named for his bark
(Tom: Who is Old Yeller?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Larissa: $22,800
Russ: $15,400
Tom: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MONARCHS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Larissa: Wager $8,001 to cover Russ, but no more than $11,599 so as not to fall behind Tom's doubled score.
Russ: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $600 (martian), and you'll win the game if Larissa wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Tom: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2005 the Kul Sharif Mosque of Tatarstan was reopened 453 years after it was destroyed by this man

FINAL SCORES
Tom: $5,600 - $5,600 = $0 (Who Ghengis Khan) (3rd place: $5,000)
Russ: $15,400 - $0 = $15,400 (Who is Constantine?) (New champion: Quarterfinalist)
Larissa: $22,800 - $8,001 = $14,799 (Who is [scribble] Suleiman?) (2nd place: $5,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Larissa: $18,400, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Russ: $11,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Tom: $5,600, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Larissa: 23/60 = .383
Russ: 17/59 = .288
Tom: 11/58 = .190
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TWEETING $200: You might think we're crazy to play the song of this bird

TWEETING $400: It's the common urban dweller heard here

TWEETING $600: The wing noise tells you it's this bird

TWEETING $800: The somewhat disturbing call of this bird is heard here

LOCAL FOOD MOVEMENT $200: Britannica says the human digestive system begins at these fleshy bits; mum's the word on where it ends
(Russ: What are the taste buds?)

NEW IN THE 2000s $200: The 2000 Toy of the Year was a scooter from this brand whose logo is seen here

NEW IN THE 2000s $400: News Corporation paid $580 million in 2005 to get this social networking site that sold for $35 million in 2011
(Tom: What is Facebook?)

19th CENTURY ART & ARTISTS $400: (Alex reports from the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.) In his series paintings, this artist concentrated on a single subject to show how the light changes depending on the time of day & the season; here is one of his 30 "Wheatstacks," in this case, on a winter morning

POP QUIZ $1200: In 2013 Marc Anthony's "Vivir Mi Vida" was Record of the Year at the 14th of these awards
(Tom: What are the Spanish Music Awards?)

WOMEN ON U.S. STAMPS $1600: As part of the Black Heritage series, this two-time Wimbledon champ was depicted on a 2013 stamp
(Russ: Who is Ashe?)

SAME FIRST & LAST 2 LETTERS $1600: The name of the main enemy ship attacking you is also the name of this classic video game

CORRECT RESPONSES
electrolytes
self-educated
a whippoorwill
Linda Blair
Prancercise
Arcadia
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Greta Garbo
Devo
Fredric Remington
Kate Smith
Sounder
Ivan the Terrible
the cuckoo
a pigeon
a hummingbird
a loon
the lips
Razor
Myspace
Monet
the Latin Grammys
Althea Gibson
Galaga
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Monarchs
In 2005 the Kul Sharif mosque of Tatarstan was reopened 453 years after it was destroyed by this man.

Spoiler
Who is Ivan the Terrible? Tom said Genghis Khan; Russ said Constantine; Larissa said Suleiman.
Larissa Kelly: $22,800-$8,001=$14,799
Russ Schumacher: $15,400-$0=$15,400...advances to quarterfinals of Decades Tourney
Tom Kavanaugh: $5,600-$5,600=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

When will people learn not to sass Alex during the interview segment?

Larissa not following the others lead by avoiding the MSB seals her fate.

I think monarchs was also the subject of her last TOC FJ. I was expecting an easier one given that category, also had Genghis Khan.
ej!
Valued Contributor

Post by ej! »

J! Rule #1 if there's math -- do it.
ACW

Post by ACW »

MSB?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For all the hype of today's interview segment, I found it rather underwhelming.

Birds was easier than I thought, although I still couldn't get pigeon and clammed on loon. Anyone wanna tell me how "whippoorwill" was a TS?

0/5 on Food Movement. I seriously overthought it and wouldn't have gotten lips if you'd given me a week. No clue on the middle three, and I knew $1000 was a sphincter but not which one.

4/5 in Pop Culture. NHO Llewyn Davis, but got Lach Trash on Devo because I knew the hat thing.

"What woman was associated with Christopher Columbus?… Oh duh."

Monarchs? Yeah, I'm putting down a "no" on my score card right away. Ivan the Terrible did come to mind briefly, but not enough for me to seriously consider putting him down.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Got Ivan the Terrible from 453 years ago and I thought Tartarstan was in Russia. It's too bad Larissa lost. I wasn't at all surprised by Russ's bet, though.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Well, that happened.

It is interesting that Larissa has been one of the few people as of late to not go for the conservative wager that has been a part of this tournament, though I do think Larissa has typically been more aggressive than most, so I can't say I'm especially surprised. Still, good wagering wins the day for Russ.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

My heart... it breaks. :cry:

Larissa gets shot down by a royalty FJ clue for the second straight game. So crushing. But it was great to see one of my favorite players of all time again. :)

Oh well... now it's on to tomorrow, when I get to see the guy that is responsible for me watching this show for almost a decade. Can't wait!
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "whippoorwill", "Linda Blair", "Devo", "Kate Smith"

Didn't get FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

geolawyerman wrote:Got Ivan the Terrible from 453 years ago and I thought Tartarstan was in Russia. It's too bad Larissa lost. I wasn't at all surprised by Russ's bet, though.
Pretty much my logic too, although I was certain Tatarstan was in at least the former USSR if not present day Russia, and Ivan was the only Czar I knew from around that period.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

I'll say this as well. I was surprised that Tom didn't try to go for the Daily Double when there were 3 clues left on the board and it was fairly obvious which one had it. Obviously I wouldn't know for sure how the guy thinks, but I would have thought it was his best chance with both Larissa and Russ fairly decently ahead of him.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Bamaman wrote:When will people learn not to sass Alex during the interview segment?
This went beyond sassing; I thought it was inappropriate and it played like a zinger Tom thought up to make up for his lack of eloquence in speaking about a very serious subject.
Bamaman wrote: Larissa not following the others lead by avoiding the MSB seals her fate.
It is reasonable for Larissa to think he'll bet small. I would have liked a bet of around $3200 by Larissa here, but I can't fault her for making the MSB, and I wouldn't have expected otherwise from her. It's always a solid, if not creative, strategic option and nobody will ever accuse her of not having balls.

This was well-played all around, with the exception of Tom going for a $400 clue instead of the obvious DD and Russ BADLY misplaying that last Daily Double.

The scores were:
Tom: $5200
Larissa: $22800
Russ: $10400

And there was a $400 clue left on the board. If Russ misses this DD, he is mathematically eliminated from the game, so there is no reason not to make it a true daily double. If he's not going to do that, he at least needs to bet enough so that he's at 2/3 of Larissa's total, so that if she makes the MSB (which I think we all could have expected from Larissa), he can win on a double stumper. He did this--2/3 of $22800 is $15200, and he bet to end up at $15400--and that's why he won the game, so it's hard to say his wager was awful.

However, had Larissa picked up that last $400 clue, 2/3 of her total would have been $15,466.67, and Russ would only have won on a sole get. So if Larissa gets that last clue instead of Tom, she wins this game (assuming Russ didn't know the answer to the FJ and just tank it because he bet $0). Russ NEEDED to bet at least $5067 here, and again, there was just no reason not to bet it all. I think Russ just picked a random largish whole number, and that late in DJ, that's not just dangerous--it very easily could have been deadly.
Last edited by lieph82 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

No chance on FJ, but I thought this was medium difficulty as far as Decades boards go.

LMAO at that interview. I was cringing on my couch. Did they edit anything out of that?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

UniquePerspective wrote:I'll say this as well. I was surprised that Tom didn't try to go for the Daily Double when there were 3 clues left on the board and it was fairly obvious which one had it. Obviously I wouldn't know for sure how the guy thinks, but I would have thought it was his best chance with both Larissa and Russ fairly decently ahead of him.
It makes sense iirc. He didn't have enough to get to half of Larissa, his only hope was to get someone within striking range who would force a bet at the end.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

UniquePerspective wrote:I'll say this as well. I was surprised that Tom didn't try to go for the Daily Double when there were 3 clues left on the board and it was fairly obvious which one had it. Obviously I wouldn't know for sure how the guy thinks, but I would have thought it was his best chance with both Larissa and Russ fairly decently ahead of him.
I wasn't surprised at all. I didn't think that he was aware that it was there, and I was fully expecting him to go to the top of the board.

I totally blanked on FJ. I would have never guessed a czar from "Monarchs."

Congrats to Russ on the win! And to Larissa and Tom for their showings!
TryingHarder
Contributor

Post by TryingHarder »

I thought Ghengis Khan but then thought better of it (not sure if in time) because he was not a monarch. Tartar is associated with Russia so I went Ivan the Terrible.
hscer

Post by hscer »

I definitely thought Russ might wager $0 in Final.

I tried Tamerlane. A couple centuries early. Knew 16th century was too late for Genghis Khan though. (EDIT: And I completely forgot the category!!!)

Larissa can't blame Tom, I guess, but with two 400's and an 800 left and still a Daily Double to find, but out of the game, Tom going for one of the 400's ultimately denied Larissa the lock. I was rooting for her and she, predictably, had probably the strongest game, but all 61 clues count.
Last edited by hscer on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
billiej

Post by billiej »

Genghis Khan was my first guest, and I stuck with it despite flirting with Ivan the Terrible for a few seconds. :twisted:

As soon as the interview segment was over I thought, "Well, Tom just lost."

How was Devo a TS??