Thursday, April 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6809, 2014-04-03

Battle of the Decades: The 2000s game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Vinita Kailasanath, an attorney from Washington, D.C.
Ken Jennings, a writer from Seattle, Washington
Michael Falk, a junior high school math teacher from West Allis, Wisconsin

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. There are two open spots for our "Battle of the Decades" $1 million championship that will be played a month from now. One of those spots will be filled by the winner of this game. It will be Vinita, Ken, or Michael. Good luck. Let's start finding out which of you it will be. Here are the categories for the first round of play today. We start you off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE LONG & THE SHORT OF IT (5/5)
FAIRLY RECENT NEWS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PHILOSOPHERS (4/5)
MUSIC OF THE 2000s (4/5)
small state capitals (5/5)
OUR OLD PAL WATSON (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ken: 15 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Vinita: 6 R, 0 W
Michael: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ken: $4,200
Vinita: $2,400
Michael: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Vinita Kailasanath from Washington, D.C. She's an attorney now, and she was one of the last players to win a car when we were still giving cars away. You still have it?

Vinita: I do. It's a wonderful Volvo V40, which I still drive with pleasure.

Alex: But your friends have given it a nickname, haven't they?

Vinita: They've called it the Jeopardy!mobile.

Alex: Uh-huh. [ laughter ]

Vinita: Have you started raising a family? Have you gotten married since we last saw you on the program? Yes, I am married, and my husband's in the audience today.

Alex: Okay, good. And your dad's here, too.

Vinita: And my mom.

Alex: And your mom, also. All right.

Vinita: [laughs]

Alex: Ken Jennings holds a record of 74 consecutive wins on Jeopardy! and I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say that record will stand forever, Ken. Now, I was taken aback a little bit by some advice given to you by an Emmy award-winning television star who shall remain nameless about what you should do with the more than $2 million you won in those 74 games. What was the advice he gave you?

Ken: I was in the makeup chair on "Letterman," and this nameless celebrity --let's call him Schmalec Schmaldwin --[ laughter ] he comes up, and he says, "You won all that money on jeopardy! Here's my advice --don't give a penny of it away. You buy jet skis. You buy vacations. You keep it all for you." [ laughter ]

Alex: And I hope you've done most of that.

Ken: I don't want Mr. Schmaldwin to be mad at me, so I'm not gonna say.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Michael Falk is a sixth-grade teacher. And one of the teachers who interviewed you for your job, the job you hold right now, impressed you, and you impressed him to the point where you two guys started working together to do what?

Michael: My first year at school, we started a quiz bowl team. My colleague, Burke Seeberg, and I, whom I met in my job interview, decided to start a team for the students at our school who wanted to compete in knowledge games to be able to do just that. And this is our fourth year in existence, and it's our fourth year qualifying for nationals.

Alex: Hello, hello. See? What goes on keeps going on.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ken found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Michael had $600, Ken had $6,400, and Vinita was at $3,000. Ken wagered $3,600.

FAIRLY RECENT NEWS $1000: After this leader's death in 2013, Citgo facilities across the U.S. flew their flags at half-staff
(Alex: Yes, Citgo owned by Venezuela's national oil company.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OUR OLD PAL WATSON $1000: James Watson & Francis Crick deciphered DNA at this Cambridge lab founded in 1874

MUSIC OF THE 2000s $800: In 2001 this guy, real name Matthew Shafer, had a "relatively" big hit with "Follow Me"

PHILOSOPHERS $1000: This German, the "philosopher of pessimism", had such a gloomy outlook that even his own mother disliked him
(Michael: Who is Malthus?)
(Ken: Who is Hegel?)
(Alex: Who is [*]...Mom doesn't like me.)

FAIRLY RECENT NEWS $400: In 2014 he returned for a second stint heading the NYPD; he headed the LAPD in between

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ken: $10,400
Vinita: $3,600
Michael: $400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ISOTOPES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EARLY AMERICAN HISTORY (3/5)
I'M JUST PLUM CRAZY! (3/5)
10-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
IN THE BOOKSTORE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE AUSSIE POSSE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 9 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ken: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Vinita: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ken snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Michael had $2,800, Ken had $11,200, and Vinita was at $2,800. Ken wagered $8,800.

IN THE BOOKSTORE $800: "The Bully Pulpit" is about the golden age of journalism & the relationship of these 2 presidents
(Ken: Who are Roosevelt and Taft?)
(Alex: Which Roosevelt?)
(Ken: Theodore.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Michael had $5,200, Ken had $20,000, and Vinita was at $4,400. Michael made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

ISOTOPES $2000: The 60 isotope of this element has replaced radium in cancer treatment because it's safer
(What is barium?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'M JUST PLUM CRAZY! $800: Plum sauce is also called this after a main dish it's served with, ya in Chinese

I'M JUST PLUM CRAZY! $1200: Around five years
before he died in 1883, he painted a young woman and her plum in a French café
(Ken: Who is Renoir?)
(Vinita: Who is Degas?)
(Alex: Gonna use up all the French impressionists. Who is [*]? Édouard [*].)

IN THE BOOKSTORE $1200: This 2013 novel by Kate Atkinson wonders, what if you could live again & again, until you got it right?

ISOTOPES $1200: In 2006 the 210 isotope of this was slipped into the tea of ex-KGB man Alexander Litvinenko, with deadly results

EARLY AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: Benjamin Harris of Boston published the colonies' first newspaper as well as this book that taught millions to read
(What is the McGuffey Reader?)

EARLY AMERICAN HISTORY $2000: Not Independence Hall but this Philadelphia hall was the site of the first meetings of the Continental Congress in 1774
(Vinita: What is Federal Hall?)

10-LETTER WORDS $2000: A women's magazine, or the mistress of a castle

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ken: $26,800 (lock game)
Michael: $4,800
Vinita: $3,600

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: A brief word of explanation about a player who was very successful on Jeopardy! He won 19 games --second only to our Ken Jennings here today --Dave Madden. Due to a rather complex contract situation, he felt he could not accept our invitation
to participate in this "Battle of the Decades" tournament. That's too bad, because he will be missed.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY POLITICS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Ken: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $17,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Michael: Wager $2,401 to cover Vinita.
Vinita: Risk between $0 and $1,200, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1884 George Pillsbury became mayor of this city

FINAL SCORES
Vinita: $3,600 - $2,000 = $1,600 (What is Buffalo?) (3rd place: $5,000)
Michael: $4,800 - $2,400 = $2,400 (What is Philadelphia?) (2nd place: $5,000)
Ken: $26,800 - $3,200 = $23,600 (What is Boston?) (New champion: quarterfinalist)
[Alex does an impression of the "Pillsbury Doughboy" laugh after reading the clue.]
(Alex: The city is [*], the Pillsbury family, and I hope everybody appreciated my little "hoo, hoo, hoo!" I don't do it very well.) [ laughter ]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ken: $16,200, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Michael: $10,000, 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Vinita: $3,600, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $29,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Ken: 24/60 = .400
Michael: 14/59 = .237
Vinita: 10/58 = .172
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE LONG & THE SHORT OF IT $800: Not much time--so I'll be this word with 3 c's
(Michael: What is concise?)

FAIRLY RECENT NEWS $200: Here's the official portrait of the christening of this little fella

PHILOSOPHERS $200: This saint's written output was more than 8 million words-', & he died around age 50
(Michael: Who is Augustine?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Hugo Chávez
Cavendish Laboratory
Uncle Kracker
Schopenhauer
William Bratton
Theodore Roosevelt and Taft
cobalt
duck sauce
(Édouard) Manet
Life After Life
polonium
New England Primer
Carpenter's Hall
chatelaine
Minneapolis
succinct
(Prince) George
(Thomas) Aquinas

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:28 pm

19th Century Politics

George Pillsbury became mayor of this city in 1884. (Alex gives Pillsbury Doughboy laugh after reading the answer).
Spoiler
Show
What is Minneapolis? Vinita said Buffalo, Michael said Philadelphia and Ken said Boston
Vinita Kailasanath:$3,600-$2,000=$1,600...wins $5,000
Michael Falk: $4,800-$2,400=$2,400.....wins $5,000
Ken Jennings: $26,800-$3,200=$23,600...advances to quarterfinals of BOTD tournament

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Ummmm ... Ok. I'll bet sherder got this right, but me? No.

I just guessed Chicago.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Crud. Missed the Minneapolis/St. Paul coin toss.

UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Well that as fun. Honestly, all 3 played fairly well considering, and Michael might have been in it had he gotten the Daily Double.

Today's game was a lot of answers that make total sense but I didn't think of them. I did get a little Lach Trash, Uncle Kracker plus one other I'll remember when someone says it.

Was there ANY way I could have reasoned that final if I didn't know it, which I didn't? I found that clue particularly nasty, maybe it's just me though.

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Well that was a beatdown. Where is the dude who was predicting a Jennings loss?

Picked up a surprising amount of trash for a Decades board: Uncle Kracker, Bill Bratton (helps to live in NYC), duck, polonium.

A cool thing: KenJen dropping the mic/buzzer at the end.

A not cool thing: Trebek is not allowed to impersonate the Pillsbury Doughboy ever again.

That was the hardest FJ clue I've seen in a long time. What would have lead to the right answer?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:30 pm

UniquePerspective wrote:Was there ANY way I could have reasoned that final if I didn't know it, which I didn't? I found that clue particularly nasty, maybe it's just me though.
Don't see how. The Bake-Off is in New York, so that's not even going to help.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Ken was probably the player who most needed to deliver, and deliver he did. Great job.

Anybody want to defend that FJ...?

WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:31 pm

If I had remembered that Pillsbury was a General Mills brand, and not a Kellogg's brand, I wouldn't have guessed Battle Creek.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 pm

My FJ thought process.........

Good category for me. Then they show the answer. I have no idea where Pillsbury is based. So I'll try to guess. Probably not NTC or Chicago. In the East, maybe? How about Boston.

Buffalo and Philly aren't it. Hey, Ken said Boston. He's really smart. I got it right!!!!

Well, maybe not. Who wants to bet TPH didn't even write down some random big city like me and the players did?

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Maybe you have to have lived in Minnesota to know about all the flour mills in the Twin Cities. Pillsbury and General Mills are both HQ'd in Minneapolis.

(Also, Pillsbury College is in Owatonna, the city I was living in when I was on the show.)

I should have gotten this.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:34 pm

zakharov wrote:Well that was a beatdown. Where is the dude who was predicting a Jennings loss?

Picked up a surprising amount of trash for a Decades board: Uncle Kracker, Bill Bratton (helps to live in NYC), duck, polonium.

A cool thing: KenJen dropping the mic/buzzer at the end.

A not cool thing: Trebek is not allowed to impersonate the Pillsbury Doughboy ever again.

That was the hardest FJ clue I've seen in a long time. What would have lead to the right answer?
You'd have to know that Pillsbury was headquartered in the Minneapolis area. I did, and flipped the Minneapolis/St Paul coin the right way.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 pm

THAT MIC DROP THOUGH!!!!! Image

He's a legend... that's all I can say. Absolute LEGEND. One step closer to seeing another dream showdown between Ken and Brad.

It was also good to see you again, Michael! Wish you could've had better luck, but unfortunately you had to be one of the two unfortunate souls to be drawn against Ken. :(

I know I'm obnoxiously fanboying but you have to forgive me... I'm making this post because of him. I watch Jeopardy because of him. I had an amazing time at the College Championship in 2005 and was treated like royalty because of him. He started it all.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:36 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:If I had remembered that Pillsbury was a General Mills brand, and not a Kellogg's brand, I wouldn't have guessed Battle Creek.
I also had Battle Creek.

I knew Battle Creek was associated with Kellogg's.

I had no idea whether Pillsbury was associated with Kellogg's, with General Mills, or with neither. I still stuck with Battle Creek because of an inability to think of anything better. My only other option was to randomly guess a major city that existed in the late 1800s.

I didn't previously know that General Mills was associated with Minneapolis.

esrever

Post by esrever » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Ken Jennings won with a dominating performance, just as I had predicted.

Picked up Lach trash: "William Bratton", "polonium", "Chatelaine"

Instaget FJ. I'm very surprised that none of these three extremely good players got it, especially after Alex gave a little chuckle like the Pillsbury Doughboy after he had finished reading the clue. As a child, I used to read the labels on containers of cake mixes and crescent rolls from the Pillsbury company, which included Minneapolis as the company's headquarters.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:38 pm

esrever wrote:Ken Jennings won with a dominating performance, just as I had predicted.
Bold prediction.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:40 pm

lieph82 wrote:Ken was probably the player who most needed to deliver, and deliver he did. Great job.
When I went to the taping and sat across the aisle from "Contestant Row", I kind of let my gaze go off a couple of times in Ken's direction. He sat behind almost all of the other contestants and not next to any of them. Michael Falk was the only one sitting in the same row as Ken and he was a seat or two away (this was way before they chose the two of them to play in the same game). A lot of the other contestants (and the alternate) seemed pretty loose to me, but Ken was off to himself and I wondered if he was nervous and felt pressure. I said to my wife that Ken Jennings has much more pressure on him than any of the other contestants in the field. Everyone knows who he is and his reputation was on the line--perhaps even the career that he's built on his notoriety in some respect. Losing in the first round would be newsworthy and devastating. Everyone else that loses in the first round can go back to their successful life and pick up as though nothing happened. That would not be the case for Ken because a loss in this game would be something that would always be brought up. So I found myself feeling very sorry for him. I did not share my thoughts with Ken when I talked with him after the taping because I don't know him (we chatted about generic Jeopardy stuff) but I will say that watching Ken at the taping, I thought that there must be a lot of pressure in being Ken Jennings.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 pm

That makes sense; the pressure he was feeling showed on camera too, but in the end he's a pro. Thanks for the insight. Do you know how the other players felt about that FJ?

hscer

Post by hscer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Heh, I tried Bakersfield, CA. Get it?
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer