Friday, April 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by xxaaaxx »

heelsrule1988 wrote:......I said Reynolds. :oops:
See? You did miss something :twisted:

(Kidding, kidding!)
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Maybe it's just because I refuse to utter that four-letter word. ;)
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Here is how Orwell wrote it:

On each landing, opposite the lift shaft, the poster with the enormous face gazed from the wall. It was one of those pictures which are so contrived that the eyes follow you about when you move. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption beneath it ran.

Here is how the writers made the clue about it: "It was one of those pictures... so contrived that the eyes follow you...beneath it" was this 5-word quote.
Thanks, I get where they were going now, although I still think it barely makes any sense. I suppose if you know the quote, you can recognize it enough to get the right answer. If you don't, it just comes across as gibberish.
sarahbree
Contributor

Post by sarahbree »

I wonder if Dr. J had that tiara in her pocket..
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I mostly liked this board, but yeah, it was a hard one.

I enjoyed watching Maria just because she has such a deep knowledge base and has had impressive gets in all of her games, but I have to wonder if taping was stopped to calm her down. She looked like she was going to faint. I seem to remember her being calm in her past games, though her high number of negs in her semifinal ToC game cost her a win.

I figured that it had to be Lowell or Tombaugh for the clue that mentioned Neptune, but I would have had to stay clam there.

I'm not sure if he realized the significance but Keith had a lot of reason to cheer when the neg on the Clancy clue was reversed, since it put him mathematically in contention to win.

I had no guess on FJ, and also had a hard time processing the quote. I think that the clue needed something more to narrow it down than "20th century," but the poll results could prove me wrong.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Agreed that the FJ was very difficult to parse if you didn't recognize the quote immediately. Today was an above average board for me for this tournament though. I'm not ashamed to admit it: I ran Celebrity Reality TV.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

sarahbree wrote:I wonder if Dr. J had that tiara in her pocket..
(Mine's way better than that.)You can imagine my outrage when Maria was promised one and Dan ended up with one! I had to buy my own! Did ya notice my Mockingjay pin bringing Dan luck?
sarahbree
Contributor

Post by sarahbree »

[/quote]Mine's way better than that.)You can imagine my outrage when Maria was promised one and Dan ended up with one! I had to buy my own! Did ya notice my Mockingjay pin bringing Dan luck?[/quote]

My daughter noticed that and her comment was " oh no, Keith is toast" ( we are whitener fans since he crushed my Jeopardy! Champion dreams) .
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I ran the celebrity category. Poor Erik Estrada. I managed to get FJ too. I've yet to read the book, but it seemed obvious. Then again, the FJ with The Picture of Dorian Gray earlier in the season probably was as well and I missed that one.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Started off rough, but rallied in the DJ round. Pulled out "Coppelia," which I vaguely remembered from - I kid you not - a "Babysitters Club" book. Pick up "tower [defense game]," thereby justifying all the time I spend playing PixelJunk Monsters.

ETA: I also failed to correctly parse the FJ clue. In retrospect, I wonder if "20th Century" was mentioned in the category to help people avoid wasting time on Dorian Gray.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

MarkBarrett wrote:Here is how the writers made the clue about it: "It was one of those pictures... so contrived that the eyes follow you...beneath it" was this 5-word quote.
That's not what was on my screen, because what you wrote almost makes sense. This is what I saw:

"IT WAS ONE OF THOSE PICTURES...SO CONTRIVED THAT THE EYES FOLLOW YOU...BENEATH" THE PICTURE WAS THIS 5-WORD QUOTE

Beneath is on the wrong side of the close quotes as the word is subsequent to "Big Brother is watching you" in the original text. Shoddy clue indeed.
Last edited by UiscePreston on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

tjconn728 wrote:For the life of me,neither my wife nor I can even figure out what FJ was asking for, even after knowing the answer. Were the quotes in the wrong spot?
Seconded. That wording....what? I don't think the quotes were in the wrong spot; I think it's just really poorly worded.

I feel bad for Maria that it came down to that. How many non-lock games in this tournament would have been won with a small wager from the lead? Nothing from Maria's history indicated that she'd consider it, but gosh the MSB (or similar cover wager) has been KILLER in this tournament.

Golf, regarding her overwager from a lock position, woah...maybe she was tired...
Last edited by lieph82 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

UiscePreston wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Here is how the writers made the clue about it: "It was one of those pictures... so contrived that the eyes follow you...beneath it" was this 5-word quote.
That's not what was on my screen, because what you wrote almost makes sense. This is what I saw:

"IT WAS ONE OF THOSE PICTURES...SO CONTRIVED THAT THE EYES FOLLOW YOU...BENEATH" THE PICTURE WAS THIS 5-WORD QUOTE

Really, really shoddy, indeed.
Worse than I recalled.

What an awful, awful clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

UiscePreston wrote:

Really, really shoddy, indeed.
That is exactly what I had before I changed it based on Mark's comment.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have not seen the game yet on TV. Silly me, I was relying on this site to be accurate: http://www.jeopardy.com/gamesandmobile/clueoftheday/ Sorrys all the way around. Whether it's 5-letter or five-letter is one part that should not make much difference.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nobody has said it yet? Tsk! Congrats, Dan! I was really looking forward to a $2 bet, though. And sorry to see you go, Keith. Hopefully you had a great time in Bora Bora to salve the wound. And I do wonder what was going on with Maria.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

I've read "1984" literally dozens of times, it's one of my favorite novels, and that FJ clue, as written, was pretty rotten. I had no idea, and was even shaking my head in disbelief when the answer was revealed.

Badly done.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

lieph82 wrote:but gosh the MSB (or similar cover wager) has been KILLER in this tournament.
It also seems like not being a past ToC winner has been a curse in the tournament. 13/15 winners were ToC champions, with Pam Mueller and Ken Jennings being the only BotD quarterfinals who weren't. And if Pam had gone for the cover FJ wager, it would be 14/15 + Ken!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Put me in the "really tough boards tonight" group.

Not even so much as a guess for FJ. I couldn't come up with 5 words that made any sense.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

MarkBarrett wrote:I have not seen the game yet on TV. Silly me, I was relying on this site to be accurate: http://www.jeopardy.com/gamesandmobile/clueoftheday/ Sorrys all the way around. Whether it's 5-letter or five-letter is one part that should not make much difference.
AHA! And you can clearly see that the writers struggled with how to phrase this clue. The quote in the novel doesn't end "...BENEATH IT, 'BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING' " as this version suggests. It's this quote-within-a-quote nature that fouls up the transformation into a Jeopardy clue.