Thursday, April 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6814, 2014-04-10

CONTESTANTS
Jessica Guard, an entertainment litigation attorney from New York, New York
Bruce Leaman, a justice of the peace from Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Sandie Baker, a translation coordinator from Eastpointe, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thanks, Johnny. I love the way this week is shaping up. We've had three different champions, and each of them has won over $20,000. That's good. That's a good omen for today, Jessica and Bruce. Welcome aboard. Sandie, let's go to work, shall we? You get to pick first from these categories In this first round of play. Take a look.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS (4/5)
TV ADJECTIVES (5/5)
SPOT THE MATH TERM (5/5)
AN ECO-CATEGORY (3/5)
THE 5 FAMILIES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"D.C." POWER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessica: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sandie: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Bruce: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sandie found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Sandie had $2,600, Bruce had $600, and Jessica was at $2,000. Sandie wagered $1,000.

THE 5 FAMILIES $1000: Original surname of the first & third prime ministers of India
(Sandie: What is...ahh..Gandhi?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jessica: $2,600
Sandie: $1,600
Bruce: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jessica Guard is gonna be following the U.S. team at the World Cup in Brazil. Why?

Jessica: I am. Well, my boyfriend got to go to the last two world cups, but, unfortunately, I was studying for the bar during the last one. So I'll be following the U.S. Team in Brazil and hopefully
cheering them on to success.

Alex: Yes, indeed.

Alex: Bruce Leaman is a justice of the peace, and there's a bit of information here --a line about himself that, at first glance, kind of scares you. It says "he married his mother." Oooh. What's happening up there in Canada? So, you got to marry your mom in a service. You got to officiate at the ceremony.

Bruce: That's right, Alex.

Alex: Tell us about it.

Bruce: This was before I was appointed as a justice of the peace. I was a lay chaplain for my church, and my term in that capacity was running out, so I said to my mother and my future stepfather that they only had a week to decide, and so they did.

Alex: Good for you. Very special ceremony when the son officiates. All right.

Alex: Sandie, you're our champion, and you have entered different contests over the years. And you entered one that had to do with traveling to Washington, D.C., our nation's capital. What was it?

Sandie: Oh, yeah. I entered...the park service had this lottery type thing. You put your name in, and it was to go to the Christmas tree-lighting in Washington, D.C. So we got to see all of that. They had a whole bunch of musicians come out and sing songs, and then President Obama and the family were there, and they lit the tree. It was really a good time.

Alex: How many days were you in the nation's capital?

Sandie: We actually took a few extra days so we could go and do some other stuff while we were there.

Alex: You crammed a lot of stuff in, didn't you?

Sandie: Yes, we did. We went to the Air and Space Museum, we went to Arlington. We just went all over the place. It was great.

Alex: You visit D.C. and you want to get in as much as possible.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE 5 FAMILIES $400: Every year from 1947 to 2011 , a member of this family served in congress; in 2013 the family began a new streak

AN ECO-CATEGORY $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the California Academy of Sciences.) The academy calls itself the world's greenest museum.
The 197,000 square-foot living roof is a sustainable tapestry of native California plants, including these state flowers
(Alex: And that would be
the [*]. And they are so beautiful
at this time of the year.)

AN ECO-CATEGORY $1000: More efficient than filament bulbs, this light source gets its name from its twin terminal structure
(Alex: Talking about [*]s...light emitting diodes.)

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS $1000: A profile of Queen Victoria is on the world's first-ever adhesive postage stamp, known as this
(Bruce: What is a three-penny black?)
(Alex: You were on
the right track, Bruce, but it's not a three-penny --
it's just a [*]. [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jessica: $5,600
Sandie: $3,600
Bruce: $2,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SUPREME COURT JUSTICES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN THE DICTIONARY (5/5)
INTERNATIONAL AUTHORS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CAR"EER" OPPORTUNITIES (5/5)
CENTRAL AMERICA (1/5)
ROCK & ROLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sandie: 11 R, 0 W
Jessica: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Bruce: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bruce snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sandie had $10,000, Bruce had $6,200, and Jessica was at $5,600. Bruce wagered $3,000.

INTERNATIONAL AUTHORS $2000: Born Helen Lyndon Goff in Australia, she wrote 1934's "Mary Poppins" & several sequels
(Bruce: Who is Chambers?)
(Alex: No. Who is [*]. [*], played by Emma Thompson in that popular film
this year.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bruce who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Sandie had $14,000, Bruce had $8,000, and Jessica was at $11,200. Bruce wagered $100.

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $1600: (Sanra Day O'Connor delivers the clue.) In an old tradition, before entering the courtroom every justice shakes hands with every other justice. I learned to be careful with the crushing grip of this onetime Heisman trophy runner-up

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CENTRAL AMERICA $800: Rain forest is a big feature of this country's Darien National Park, the largest nature reserve in Central America
(Alex: Silent on a peak in Darien.
Panama is the country.)

CENTRAL AMERICA $1200: Volcan Tajumulco, Central America's highest peak at 13,845 feet, lies in this country near the Mexican border

CENTRAL AMERICA $1600: The San Juan river flows out of this "national" lake & provides part of the border with Costa Rica

CENTRAL AMERICA $2000: The name of this planned city comes from the word "Belize" & the name of a Mayan tribe

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $2000: In 1948, a Massachusetts university was named for this man, who wrote the essay
"Other People's Money and How the Bankers Use It"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sandie: $14,000
Jessica: $11,200
Bruce: $8,100

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOREIGN LEADERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths (exactly) for first place.
Sandie: Wager $8,400, but no more than that: you cannot afford to lose by $1 to a likely wager of $5,600 on the part of Jessica.
Jessica: You need to wager $5,001 to cover Bruce's doubled score, but no more than $5,600 if you want to top Sandie on a Triple Stumper.
Bruce: Think about risking $2,500, thereby tying Sandie on the Triple Stumper (should Sandie wager to cover Jessica's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1964 he was convicted of sabotage & conspiracy ,& served over 20 years in prison

FINAL SCORES
Bruce: $8,100 + $8,000 = $16,100 (Who was Nelson Mandela?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jessica: $11,200 + $5,001 = $16,201 (Who is Nelson Mandela?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sandie: $14,000 + $8,500 = $22,500 (Who is Mandela?) (2-day champion: $44,900)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sandie: $15,000, 17 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Bruce: $12,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Jessica: $11,200, 18 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jessica: 19/58 = .328
Sandie: 18/59 = .305
Bruce: 15/60 = .250
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"D.C." POWER $200: A milk-giving bovine
(Bruce: What is a cow?)

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS $200: The instrument heard here is the penny type of this

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS $600: Pennyroyal is an aromatic plant
of this sweet herb family; its leaves can be dried
to make tea
(Alex: [*] is right, yes. Wonderful plants -- they'll grow anywhere, even on concrete.)

IN THE DICTIONARY $2000: This adjective meaning "relating to population statistics" became a noun that can follow "'target"
[applause for Sandie running the category.]

CAR"EER" OPPORTUNITIES $800: As suggested
by his work seen here,
photographer Jimmy Chin
is also a noted one of these

CENTRAL AMERICA $400: United Fruit, now this banana company, once owned half the private land in Honduras
(Bruce: What is Dole?)

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $400: She clerked
for Thurgood Marshall.

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $800: (Sanra Day O'Connor delivers the clue.) One of the Court's traditions is that each new justice is allowed to briefly sit in the chair of this longest-serving & perhaps most influential Chief Justice

SUPREME COURT JUSTICES $1200: This man, who helped found the ACLU in 1920, must have said,
"hot dog!" after taking the bench
19 years later

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nehru
Kennedys
California poppies
LED
Penny Black
P. L. Travers
Whizzer White
Panama
Guatemala
Lake Nicaragua
Belmopan
Louis Brandeis
Nelson Mandela
dairy cow
whistle
mint
demographic
mountaineer
Chiquita
Kagan
(John) Marshall
(Felix) Frankfurter

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Foreign Leaders
In 1964 he was convicted of sabotage & conspiracy & served over 20 years in prison.

Spoiler
Show
Who is Nelson Mandela?

Sandie Baker: $14,000+$8,500=$22,500...now a 2-day champion with $44,900
Jessica Guard: $11,200+$5,001=$16,201
Bruce Leaman: $8,100+$8,000=$16,100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:31 pm

I nearly choked on my Pepsi when she said "50-50 shot" after guessing Gandhi.
I nearly tore a muscle rolling my eyes during that ridiculous math term category.
I nearly walked out of the room in disgust when he bet 100. UGH.
I actually did curse at the screen when I saw how easy FJ was.

Not my favorite episode of the year.

esrever

Post by esrever » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Sandie reacted at the conclusion of the 30 seconds for writing of the FJ! response, as if she were concerned that her attempted clarification "Mandel" would be considered wrong.

Picked up Lach trash: "Kennedy", "LEDs", "Panama", "Guatemala", "Lake Nicaragua", "Belmopan"

Didn't get FJ.
Last edited by esrever on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poisontongue

Post by poisontongue » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:34 pm

That awkward moment when someone you used to know ends up on the show.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm

I'll bet Golf threw something at the TV when Bruce bet $100 on the late DD.

But as a Canadian, he probably isn't too comfortable with a category about the U.S. Supreme Court. At least he left himself in contention going into FJ. Of course, he gives up a chance to win on a TS in FJ by going big then.

While I normally say one should at least leave a dollar behind on a late DD bet just so you can stick around for FJ, this was definitely a time to go all in. He had $8,000 and was $6,000 behind. If he bets $7,999 he could get passed if Sandie gets the last clue. So bet it all and you are ties for the lead at worst going into FJ. Also, Supreme Court is a fairly limited category. How many of the justices that we've had could they actually ask about? Even with the nine we have now, probably 25-30. Then the clue itself was fairly easy.

At least we finally burned off the last two Sandra Day O'Conner clues. Was John Marshall originally a $1,200 clue? It shouldn't have been that much in Teen Week.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4322

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4393

On FJ I started at the wrong end and tried to think of someone in office in 1964 who got thrown in jail. That got me nowhere but then Nelson Mandela came to mind and I was home free. I wasn't exactly sure when he went to jail or what he was charged with, but the dates and the crimes mentioned seemed to fit so that was it.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:47 pm

poisontongue wrote:That awkward moment when someone you used to know ends up on the show.
So are you mad you won't be going to Brazil with her?

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 pm

I'm a mathematician (and, incidentally, also very much interested in words and wordplay and vocabulary) so I was looking forward to the math terminology category. After the category was finished and I had five check marks in that column on my score sheet, I said to myself, "You know, I bet that category was also pretty easy for all the non-mathematicians watching at home."

I had a good game. My Coryat wasn't quite as high as Monday and Tuesday, but it was above my average and was better than yesterday's.

I almost blurted out "Gandhi" on that DD, but I held back, and realized the significance of asking for original surnames. I know who Jawaharlal Nehru was, and I know what Indira Gandhi's original last name would have been. But blurting out "Gandhi" would be an understandable mistake, especially if it had been a non-DD situation where you rely more on your instant reflexes (and might interpret it as "Quick, what last name appears more than once in a list of Indian leaders?")

I wish I had been playing this game. I got $6800 in Lach Trash in the last five or so clues of the game. Guatemala (borders Mexico), Nicaragua (lake named for country), Belmopan (city named partly for Belize), and Brandeis (20th century Justice with Massachusetts university named for him).

I got FJ fairly quickly. I tried to think of future political leaders who might have been political activists convicted of sabotage around the mid-1960s, and the right answer popped into my brain. The only minor thing that made me worry ever so slightly was that I thought he had been in prison for closer to 30 years than 20 (I graduated from high school in 1991 and I remember his release from prison occurring late in my high school career) but I thought, "Well, if it's a little bit less than 30 years, it's still true that it's more than 20 years." Sometimes people like to phrase things using round numbers. (But why not say "more than 25 years" if it was about 26 or 27 years?)

ACW

Post by ACW » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

skullturf, my thought exactly. I first thought Mandela, but he served a hell of a lot more than 20.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Yes, the math category was painfully easy. I was also confused by the number of years it said he was in prison as I was pretty sure it was closer to 30.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Anyone know when this episode was taped? Might've been even easier for them. Alex mentioned he was in the news "a few months ago" but that could've been for our benefit.

poisontongue

Post by poisontongue » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Bamaman wrote:
poisontongue wrote:That awkward moment when someone you used to know ends up on the show.
So are you mad you won't be going to Brazil with her?
I'm sure I can summon up the outrage for that, heheh.

That would have been awesome, actually. Life isn't fair.

Golf

Post by Golf » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:00 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:I nearly walked out of the room in disgust when he bet 100. UGH.
I'll bet Golf threw something at the TV when Bruce bet $100 on the late DD.
You either go TDD or wager $5, so I thought his $100 wager was just fine. He was obviously not comfortable with the category, gave it some thought and basically went as small as possible. Much better than these silly round numbered wagers which usually accomplish nothing.

Would have gone TDD with 50k in the math term category.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:01 pm

The FJ was so easy I actually started second-guessing myself. Mandela served in prison from 1964 to 1991 - why not say "over 25 years"?

hscer

Post by hscer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:04 pm

I gave myself the first round DD after blurting out Gandhi but then fixing it to Nehru, all before Alex had finished reading the clue.

College level Final Jeopardy at best.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Boy the clue writers have been all over the map lately... this FJ was about as easy as it gets.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 pm

TV Adjectives was an easy run. 0/5 in Five Families (clammed on Kennedy and Hapsburg).

Had everything but "dress circle" on DC.

Never heard of differential in math terms (I guessed "axle", having gotten it mixed up with "axis"), and NHO any of the words in Math for $1000. (What were those three words again? I forget.)

Compost was my only get in Eco.

LED was tough for $1000 IMO. Didn't the clue say it had two of something? How does two = LED?

DJ! was rough: I got only $800 each in Authors and Car"Eer", and $1200 in Dictionary.

No guess on FJ!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:44 pm

skullturf wrote:
I got FJ fairly quickly. I tried to think of future political leaders who might have been political activists convicted of sabotage around the mid-1960s, and the right answer popped into my brain. The only minor thing that made me worry ever so slightly was that I thought he had been in prison for closer to 30 years than 20 (I graduated from high school in 1991 and I remember his release from prison occurring late in my high school career) but I thought, "Well, if it's a little bit less than 30 years, it's still true that it's more than 20 years." Sometimes people like to phrase things using round numbers. (But why not say "more than 25 years" if it was about 26 or 27 years?)
The weird point about his time in prison almost convinced me Mandela was wrong, since I knew he was released later than the mid 80's. But in the end, I couldn't come up with a better answer.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:45 pm

dnbguy wrote:The FJ was so easy I actually started second-guessing myself. Mandela served in prison from 1964 to 1991 - why not say "over 25 years"?
That is why I was questioning myself- I knew he got out of prison later than the mid-80s. He was the only person that made sense, though.

Like others, I ran Central America. Of the three lower clues, two involved basic geography and the other was a capital. There are only two cities in Belize you will ever need to know- Belize City and Belmopan. Belmopan was built as a new capital located about an hour inland after Belize City was struck by Hurricane Hattie.