Tuesday, April 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6822, 2014-04-22

Julia Collins game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Donna Innes, a criminal defense attorney from Kalamazoo, Michigan
Dilip Rajagopalan, a data scientist from Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
Julia Collins, a supply chain professional from Kenilworth, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,605)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. While Julia was winning that $15,000 and becoming Jeopardy! champion yesterday, one of our viewers won a fabulous trip to the Galápagos Islands. Another great vacation coming up today. Stay tuned. Dilip and Donna. The two D's have arrived. Welcome. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And these are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I'VE GOT TIME (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON MY HANDS (4/5)
FOOD-TITLED BOOKS (5/5)
TOP 40 DEBUTS (5/5)
ROBOTICS (4/5)
D MINUS (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be two words--one word is lacking a "D", otherwise they are identical.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Donna: 9 R, 1 W
Dilip: 3 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julia: $5,800
Donna: $1,400
Dilip: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Donna Innes is from Kalamazoo, Michigan and like most Jeopardy! players has traveled extensively. Tell me about bus rides in Greece.

[Chuckles]

Donna: It was quite an experience. You really haven't lived until you've been on a bus with the bouzouki music blaring and the drunken sailors returning to their port town with many stops for little fights along the way.

Alex: Did you develop a liking for ouzo?

Donna: [Laughs] One had to.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Dilip Rajagopalan from newtown square, Pennsylvania. You are a tennis player.

Dilip: That's right.

Alex: I have a friend of mine who is a tennis player also. He's in his 90s now and he was really disappointed because you have competitions that are age-based, am I right?

Dilip: That's correct. The USTA has age--all different age competitions.

Alex: Yeah, he was disappointed because he won by default. There was nobody else his age to compete with.

Dilip: Yeah, and I --

Alex: How far do you get in these competitions?

Dilip: I--I do all right in those competitions, but I'm--I'm getting to the age where I think soon I might be the only person competing as well.

Alex: [Chuckles] But it's fun. You get the trophy anyway.

Dilip: That's right.

Alex: Julia Collins is our champion. Now, in high school, in your junior yearbook, there was a connection with Jeopardy!, am I right? A prophecy?

Julia: So in my--actually, my junior high school yearbook, yeah. When I was in eighth grade, the prophecy was that I would be a Jeopardy! champion. So...

Alex: But did you apply for our Teen Tournament or our college tournament around that time? Or did you wait until now?

Julia: I waited until now. I don't think there was a Teen Tournament when I was in high school.

[Chuckles]

Julia: So, uh...makes me feel a little old but...

Alex: Shh, shh, shh. Don't--don't say any more. Don't--don't tell.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dilip found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Julia had $6,600, Dilip had $800, and Donna was at $1,400. Dilip wagered $500.

I'VE GOT TIME $1000: There are 60 billion of these in a minute
(Dilip: What are quarks?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON MY HANDS $800: A Japanese variety of this sport called kyudo uses a glove called a yugake with which to draw the string

I'VE GOT TIME $400: Astronomers use sidereal time, based on the Earth's rotation in relation to these

ROBOTICS $1000: This 5-letter prefix comes before "mechanism" to refer to the feedback device that lets robots self-correct
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $7,600
Donna: $4,600
Dilip: $1,100

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE (3/5) (Alex: The Clue Crew deals with...)
CROSSWORD CLUES "O" (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response beginning with that letter.)
U.S. BODIES OF WATER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHANGING WHITE HOUSE TOWEL MONOGRAMS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you the monogram for a president, you give us the monogram for the president's successor.)
COLLEGES, NOT UNIVERSITIES (2/5)
THE WIT & WISDOM OF W.C. FIELDS (1/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Dilip: 4 R, 1 W
Donna: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Julia had $10,800, Dilip had $700, and Donna was at $4,200. Julia wagered $2,000.

CHANGING WHITE HOUSE TOWEL MONOGRAMS $2000: From RBH to this
(Julia: ...What is GC?)
(Alex: No, Rutherford B. Hayes to James Garfield--[*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Julia had $13,200, Dilip had $1,100, and Donna was at $4,600. Julia wagered $2,000.

U.S. BODIES OF WATER $1200: Oregon's Wizard Island in this volcanic lake has a cinder cone rising 760 feet above the lake

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHANGING WHITE HOUSE TOWEL MONOGRAMS $1600: From WJC to this
(Alex: Clinton to Bush.)

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us a termite mound in Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) Termite mounds are built by the worker termites, using a combination of soil, cellulose & excrement all glued together with secretions from these glands
[Alex mimes spitting downward; the audience laughs.]

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us a group of animals running through the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) Though it looks less elegant than other antelopes, one of the fastest & most tireless runners is the red type of this ruminant whose name includes an Afrikaans & English word for deer

COLLEGES, NOT UNIVERSITIES $800: The name of this one of the Seven Sisters is a Welsh phrase meaning "high hill"

COLLEGES, NOT UNIVERSITIES $1200: This pizza magnate & 2012 presidential candidate was a math major at historically black Morehouse College

COLLEGES, NOT UNIVERSITIES $2000: This school in the "central" part of Vermont was the first American college to grant a bachelor's degree to a black student

CROSSWORD CLUES "O" $1600: "Boom" or "cuckoo", for example
(12)

THE WIT & WISDOM OF W.C. FIELDS $400: Fields lamented that a "contemptible scoundrel stole" this stopper "from my lunch"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $18,400 (lock game)
Donna: $7,400
Dilip: $3,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BASEBALL

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Julia: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Donna: Wager $401 to cover Dilip.
Dilip: You have the hope of surpassing Donna for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $3,100 and $3,898.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Vine Line is the official magazine of this Major League Baseball team

FINAL SCORES
Dilip: $3,900 - $3,501 = $399 (Who are the San Francisco Giants) (3rd place)
Donna: $7,400 - $600 = $6,800 (Who is ?) (2nd place)
Julia: $18,400 + $2,600 = $21,000 (Who are the Cubs?) (15606-day champion: $21,000)
(Alex: Sometimes the balls get lost in the ivy-covered walls in the outfield of this team.)
(Alex: [To Julia] Wrigley Field, [*].)
(Julia: My team!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $19,600, 25 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Donna: $7,400, 12 R, 2 W
Dilip: $4,400, 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 26/60 = .433
Donna: 12/58 = .207
Dilip: 7/59 = .119
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FOOD-TITLED BOOKS $200: It's the title offering seen here

ON MY HANDS $1000: To keep from slipping, gymnasts use this substance, mainly magnesium carbonate, on their hands
(Donna: What is rosin?)

ROBOTICS $800: For decades, robots have been used by this type of police squad as humans watch from a distance

D MINUS $200: A flat slab of wood gets its "D" karate-chopped off to become a male pig
(Alex: Yes, we need both words and you gave them both.)

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew sits in an open vehicle in the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) Though they rest 20 hours a day, the lion is the top of the African food chain; in Swahili, the word for lion is this

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows us the landscape and wildlife at the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) The wildebeest grazing maintains the grassland & helps keep woods from growing, making the animal a keystone species in this environment around us

CHANGING WHITE HOUSE TOWEL MONOGRAMS $400: From DDE to this
(Donna: What is RMN?)
(Alex: Dwight David Eisenhower.)

CHANGING WHITE HOUSE TOWEL MONOGRAMS $800: From LBJ to this
(Dilip: What is... RBN?)
(Alex: Yes, Richard Milhouse Nixon.)

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew holds up a chameleon in the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) Gaudy male chameleons pass on their genes more effectively than dull-looking ones--that's an example of what Darwin called the sexual type of this, favoring animals that are better at finding mates

CROSSWORD CLUES "O" $800: A long, strange trip
(7)
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

THE WIT & WISDOM OF W.C. FIELDS $800: "I touch nothing stronger than buttermilk--90" this "buttermilk"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
nanoseconds
archery
stars
servo
JAG
Crater Lake
GWB
salivary
the hartebeest
Bryn Mawr
Herman Cain
Middlebury
onomatopoeia
a cork
the Chicago Cubs
Green Eggs and Ham
chalk
the bomb squad
board & boar
simba
the savanna
JFK
RMN
natural selection
odyssey
proof

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am

Baseball
Vine Line is the official magazine of this Major League Baseball team.

SpoilerShow
What are the Chicago Cubs? Dilip said the San Francisco Giants; Donna had no guess.

Julia Collins: $18,400+$2,600=$21,000...now a 2-day champion with $36,605
Donna Innes: $7,400-$600=$6,800
Dilip Rajagopalan: $3,900-$3,501=$399
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Fun FJ! clue and response today. :D
SpoilerShow
Knowing J!, I wouldn't be surprised if they timed it to honor the centennial this week (tomorrow). Or maybe it was just a happy coincidence.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:27 pm

Three bad guesses: talcum for chalk, tide for star, and error for servo.

Oddly, I got all of the $600s.

Too slow on "Clockwork Orange" to run the book category.

Red Hot Chili Peppers was oddly the only Top 40 debut I outright didn't know. NHO that song. Clammed on Adele, but got the three in between.

What led to "stars" on Time for $400? Nanoseconds was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't get there.

Just screwed up royally on $200. "Okay, what's a piece of wood? A plank? That doesn't have D. What's a male pig called? Sow? No, that's not right either. WHAT DO THEY WANT?!" Also went "What is mallard and… mallar? That's not a word" at $400. Got going on the next two, but tripped up again since I don't recognize the word "dearth".

====

That wildlife category was completely beyond my comprehension, which is ultra rare for an animal category.

Presidential Monograms flustered me since I can NEVER EVER get the presidents before Reagan in proper order no matter how hard I try. "WJC? Cleveland?!?… Oh, duh." Nice trap writers. "What president had an H surname? Harrison? No, that doesn't fit. What am I missing?"

Ran Crossword Clues, surprisingly.

"Stole a cork from his lunch"? Bwuh? Don't get it.

====

The heck does "vine" have to do with any baseball team? Ivy covered?!? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:28 pm

If only FJ were always this easy. :(

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:31 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: The heck does "vine" have to do with any baseball team? Ivy covered?!? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
As Alex said, the outfield wall at Wrigley Field is famously covered in ivy. Super-instaget.

Another less-than-stellar game. I almost forgot Dilip was there. It was probably just nerves.

Natural selection for 2000!??!

esrever

Post by esrever » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:34 pm

There were 11 non-DD clues that were not answered correctly by anyone.

Picked up Lach trash: "archery", "stars", "servo", "GWB", "salivary", "Bryn Mawr", "cork"

Instaget FJ, very easy for me.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Pre-called On the Whole, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia in the WC Fields category. DOn't know if that would have come up in the three unrevealed clues or not.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:58 pm

I love how Julia wrote her FJ response. A true fan. :)

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Tonight's game didn't seem that bad to me, but neither did last night's. I guess that the stats say otherwise.

When I saw the FJ category I was pretty sure that I would be getting my 9th straight FJ clue, and this one was an instant get. Tomorrow, we'll see if I can tie my personal best streak of correct FJ responses.
Last edited by StevenH on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Anyone else found monogram category tough?
Better game than yesterday. Didn't see dilip try to ring in much before the first break.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 pm

A bit of a dream game for me. I want that board if I ever get on the show.

Monograms was good til 2000, pretty big spike there. Fair enough as their middle initials are well known.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Fun game to watch, and I enjoyed most of the categories... though I had to really think hard on the last presidential monograms. Rutherford B. Hayes? Um, o-kay. No surprise, did well on the novel category.

FJ was an Instaget. Though I'm a Red Sox fan, I've always had a soft spot for the Chicago Cubs. I always root for them... and hope that *this* year will be one to break that century-plus curse.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 pm

So you don't ring in until the 18th clue of the game and then luck out and hit the DD on the first clue you get to request. With only $800 in front of you, what better amount to bet than $500. I didn't think he'd be around for long after that, especially when he flubbed Nixon's initials just seconds after he heard them.

On the presidents DD, I'm betting it all, regardless of my position. I pull money out of my wallet and throw it on the podium. I invite audience members to throw their money into the pot as well.

If it had been Cleveland, think they'd have taken just GC?

Had I been in Julia's spot, even with a lock, I'd have been tempted to go Cliff Clavin on my bet and write down 18,400 big ones. I suspect others on here would have had the same urge.

My first thought once I saw the FJ answer was to think of some connection to wine and I think this may have been Dilip's line of thought. But then I remembered this...

The anniversary of the opening this week is interesting in relation to the FJ. Philip Wrigley was also in a clue yesterday himself.

Two bleah games in a row to start the week. The lady challenger seemed nice, but never really got it going. It is good Dilip didn't ring in very much, as he took forever to request the next clue.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 pm

On FJ, I pre-called Hanseatic League.

Tomorrow will be the 100th anniversary of the first game at Wrigley Field.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to "stars" on Time for $400?
"Sidereal" is Pavlov for stars. There are seven previous clues in the archive with the word.
TenPoundHammer wrote:The heck does "vine" have to do with any baseball team? Ivy covered?!? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:09 pm

silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to "stars" on Time for $400?
"Sidereal" is Pavlov for stars. There are seven previous clues in the archive with the word.
Because seven is just such a huge number that suggests "ZOMG, super easy $400 stuff, will almost never be a TS."
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Leander

Post by Leander » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:20 pm

I had an easier time with Hanseatic League than this FJ. With more time I probably would have gotten it, but it wasn't coming to me in 30 seconds. I was trying to come up with a link to a team name and the best I could do was vine > hops > Milwaukee Brewers.

I also lived in Chicago for several years :oops: but as a lifelong Yankees fan, paid little attention to the Cubs.

rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Ugly missed FJ, especially when you're not fan of mentioned team, & never heard of publication either (when I was visiting there in 1993, one of their fans tried to convert me over to their side!) :shock:

BTW, Leander, count me in the Brewers camp also.
Last edited by rmfromfla on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hscer

Post by hscer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:22 pm

People talk about their dream categories. Well, that presidential successor monograms was about as close as you could get for me. True Daily Double on the 2K if there ever was one.

Instaget FJ
Last edited by hscer on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer