TD 189: On Broadway!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 189: On Broadway!

Post by UniquePerspective »

(I too am posting this somewhat early because my internet has been a bit wonky and I want to make sure I get it posted in case something goes wrong [it's been somewhat unstable the last couple of days]. Also, it's been around a week since Vanya posted his, and my birthday is the 4th so I'd rather get scoring done before then. )

Who doesn't love The Great White Way? I do, also considering I am a theatre director by profession. And so, you here are going to be either the audience or the players in this 12 question show. Or both, depending on how you interpret it.

The goal of this Think Different, as with most others, is to come up with the least popular, but correct answer for each of the questions asked. Correct answers will score the number of people who said that answer, including yourself. Incorrect answers will score the value of the most popular answer, also known as the sheep, plus 1/3rd of the total number of entrants. For example, if 30 people answered and a sheep was worth 8, an incorrect answer would be worth 18. You can use two helps on this game. One of these is the FLOP, which means that the question you use it on will score zero points. You can also use the ENCORE once, which will make your score for one question equivalent to the sheep. If the most common response to a question is in fact ENCORE, it will count as the sheep answer. In more common terminology, FLOP is the equivalent of DROP, and ENCORE is the equivalent of SHEEP.

You will PM me your answers to all of the questions. Do NOT post answers anywhere on this thread, only PM your responses to me. There will be 12 questions plus four bonuses. If you get a bonus right, one point will be deducted from your score. There is no penalty for getting a bonus wrong. The winner will be the person who has the lowest score. Ties will be broken first of all by scores pre-bonuses, then by the least number of incorrect answers, then by most singletons (or doubletons, or tripletons etc. if people don't have singletons). As you will see below, I divided the questions into two "acts", one with more Broadway specific questions, and one with general knowledge questions loosely connected to a Broadway show title. This was hopefully an attempt to find a middle ground of themed TDs, and I hope you enjoy it.

As always, no googling, researching, or otherwise looking up the answers, these must come from your own noggin. The deadline to enter will be Thursday, May 1st, at 11:59:59 Eastern Standard Time. I tend to be strict about this, so no "it's ok to enter as long as I haven't graded the first question" situation for me. Feel free to ask information or clarify things and I will answer to the best of my ability without giving away information.
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UniquePerspective

Re: TD 189: On Broadway!

And now, on with the show!

Act 1 (Broadway Specific Questions):
1. Name a play that has won the Tony Award for Best Play since the year 2000. All of these shows ran in a Broadway theatre during the season in which they were nominated. These were also all new productions during the year,
2. Name any actress who has won either the Best Leading Actress in a Play or Best Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Award since the year 2000. These are a mix of people who have performed mostly on Broadway, as well as those who have had Hollywood success.
3. Name a current Broadway theatre. There are 40 total Broadway theatres, all have 500 seats or more, and are located between 41st and 65th streets in New York City. I am looking for the current name, and the name of the theatre itself, rather than a presenting organization (although there can be similarities in some cases).
4. Name a show that is currently playing at a Broadway theatre. Any show that is open as of the posting of this question will qualify. Note that not every Broadway theatre presently has a show playing in it right now.
5. One of the most successful Tony Award winners is Hal Prince. Name a show he won a Tony Award for any kind for. This includes shows he has won Tonys on only as a producer.
6. The winningest production in Broadway history in terms of Tony Awards is The Producers, winning 12 awards. Other than Best Musical, name a category that it won a Tony for, or name an individual person who won a Tony, again not counting the list of names associated with the Best Musical win.

Act 2 (Quasi related Broadway questions):
7. Cats: According to the Cat Fanciers’ Association, name one of the top 10 most popular cat breeds in (what I believe to be) the USA. (Based on their website)
8. Oklahoma!: Name a player on the current roster of the Oklahoma City Thunder, according to the Wikipedia page. I am looking for active players.
9. 42nd Street: Name a performer who is listed in Wikipedia as playing a character or providing a voice in the 2005 film adaptation of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. The exact list of which characters and voices qualify will be listed in the clarifications section.
10. American Idiot: Name a track, other than the title track, off of Green Day’s album American Idiot.
11. 1776: Name a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence.
12. Oh! Calcutta!: Name a country that is more densely populated than India. Country is defined as a sovereign state that is a member of the United Nations.

The Grand Finale (Bonuses, -1 point for each one if you get right):
Bonus 1: For question 2, two of these women have won more than one Tony in those categories in that time frame. Name one of them. (Hint: They both won their multiple awards in the came category, rather than one or more from either.)
Bonus 2: For Questions 3/4 , name the only Broadway theatre that does not either currently have a show playing in it or does not have a show scheduled to open in it by June 30th.
Bonus 3: For Question 8, name the oldest player currently on the Thunder’s roster.
Bonus 4: Name the group who performed the original version of the song I embedded. What you see and hear is a cover version.
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UniquePerspective

Entrants So Far:
gamawire
sarah0114
econgator
dnbguy
MarkBarrett
Cat Hat
geolawyerman
esrever
Magna
CoachP
periwinkle
Joy
Paulsaysthought
Aardvark
PowerofHoodoo
ElendilPickle
jkbrat
Leander
ihavejeoprosy
Lilac
dott888
TheyCallMeMrKid
Vanya
eboettch
d4z
tjconn728
Linear Gnome
Peggles

Clarifications:

Generally speaking, last names only are fine. However, if you do give me a last name that has more than one representation for a question, I will ask you to be more specific.

1. None of the shows that won Best Play are musicals. Musicals have their own category.

4. There is a show that opened on Broadway officially the day after I posted this quiz, and I believe a show that officially opened the exact day that I posted. Those will count as valid answers.

6. I think I worded the last part a bit poorly. To use the example I used with Magna, if Alex Trebek won primarily for Best Moustache, but also was credited amongst the winners for Best Musical, he still would count as right. The names who are generally not considered correct for this instance are producers who did not also contribute to another category that got them an individual win.

9. The actors I'm looking for fit in these roles:

Arthur Dent
Ford Prefect
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Trillian
Slartibartfast
Marvin The Paranoid Android: Both physical actor and voice
Questular Rontok
Humma Kaluva
Jin Jenz Reporter
The Narrator/Voice of The Guide (Same actor)
Voice of Deep Thought
Voice of Jeltz
Voice of Eddie The Computer
Voice of The Whale
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Thu May 01, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 26 times in total.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

UniquePerspective wrote: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmenumjA6k8[/youtube] (hopefully I can get this to actually embed)
change https to http. (And that's almost everything I know about this quiz. Yikes! :shock: )
Leander

Post by Leander »

For question six, are the names of the winners considered as an alternative answer to the category for a combined score, or are they tabulated separately? So if 6 people submit the category and 4 people submit the person's name, is the score 10 or 6 and 4 ?
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

For question 1, do musicals that won Best Musical count? Or is it just Best Play?
UniquePerspective

dnbguy wrote:For question 1, do musicals that won Best Musical count? Or is it just Best Play?
No musicals will count for this question.

Leander wrote:For question six, are the names of the winners considered as an alternative answer to the category for a combined score, or are they tabulated separately? So if 6 people submit the category and 4 people submit the person's name, is the score 10 or 6 and 4 ?
Tabulated separately. So in your example, the 6 who said the category will score 6, and the 4 who submit the name will score 4.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

For #11, do you need first and last names, or is the last name enough?
UniquePerspective

I'm generally ok with last name only, although if you pick a last name that shows up more than once, I will ask you to be more specific.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I'm finding question 6 confusing.
Other than Best Musical, name a category that it won a Tony for, or name an individual person who won a Tony, again not counting the list of names associated with the Best Musical win.
Literally, this sounds like you could name a category The Producers won in (other than Best Musical), or you could name anyone who has ever won a Tony, except except for someone who won the Best Musical award for The Producers.

As far as I know, only shows are eligible to win the Best Musical award, although obviously the award is presented to people. I think maybe what you mean is that we can name any category (other than Best Musical) that The Producers won in, or we can name anyone who won a Tony for his/her work on that show, other than the work for which that person collected the Best Musical Tony. Is that right?
UniquePerspective

If I read what you're saying right, yes. For example, if Alex Trebek won a Tony for Best Moustache in The Producers, you could say Alex Trebek or Best Moustache, and both would be separate correct answers. Does that clear things up?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

UniquePerspective wrote:If I read what you're saying right, yes. For example, if Alex Trebek won a Tony for Best Moustache in The Producers, you could say Alex Trebek or Best Moustache, and both would be separate correct answers. Does that clear things up?
Almost. If Alex also collected the Best Musical award for the show, for other contributions he made (in addition to his spectacular moustache), so that he's credited in both the Best Musical and Best Moustache categories, would he still be a correct answer?
UniquePerspective

Yes.
UniquePerspective

Sorry for the double post, and I will update the main post about this, but for a couple of reasons, I'm going to extend the deadline to Thursday, May 1st, at 11:59:59 PM eastern.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I love this TD!

I am using a Kindle tablet, and I cannot find the embedded song referred to in Bonus # 4. Any help?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Peggles wrote:I love this TD!

I am using a Kindle tablet, and I cannot find the embedded song referred to in Bonus # 4. Any help?
It's in the first post (George Benson singing "On Broadway").
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

econgator wrote:
Peggles wrote:I love this TD!

It's in the first post (George Benson singing "On Broadway").
Thanks, Chuck.
UniquePerspective

We have 10 entrants so far, which is a good start, let's see if we can get even more going into the weekend.
UniquePerspective

Alright, we got some more at about the half way point, but always remember what the song said at the 2013 Tonys....let's make it bigger.
UniquePerspective

Another ol' bump.