Thursday, April 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6824, 2014-04-24

CONTESTANTS
Grace Riley, a writer from Fort Smith, Arkansas
James Behrens, a geophysicist from San Diego, California
Julia Collins, a supply chain professional from Kenilworth, Illinois (whose 3-day cash winnings total $53,105)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our show. Women are doing very well on Jeopardy! these days. We had a champion leave us last week after winning six games and over $140,000. And Julia, as you just heard, has won a considerable amount after just three victories. James and Grace, you're gonna have to be
at your very best today to replace her as champion. But good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FILL IN THE MOVIE TITLES (5/5)
FROM "B" TO "Y" (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with the letter "B" and end with a "Y".)
THE WOMAN WHO WROTE... (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT WAS AN ACCIDENT (4/5)
THAT EXPLANATION (5/5)
DOES HOLD WATER (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 14 R, 0 W
Grace: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
James: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Grace found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Julia had $1,200, James had $3,400, and Grace was at $2,800. Grace wagered $1,000.

THE WOMAN WHO WROTE... $1000: In 1882, "An Official History of the Red Cross"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Grace: $3,800
James: $3,400
Julia: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Here's a great story involving Grace Riley. When she was 12 years old, she raised money for...

Grace: Bill Clinton.

Alex: And you raised so much money...

Grace: Mm-hmm.

Alex: As a 12-year-old...

Grace: At 12.

Alex: That you were invited...

Grace: To the inaugural ball.

Alex: That must've been a fabulous experience for a young girl.

Grace: Well, getting the invitation was a fabulous experience, but my parents didn't wanna let me skip school. So I didn't actually get to go.

Alex: Aw! Boo, hiss.

Grace: What are you gonna do?

Alex: I'll --I'll tell you during the next commercial break.

Grace: [ laughs ]

Alex: James Behrens is a geophysicist. A few years ago, I took my family on a vacation to Antarctica. You were doing research down in Antarctica, correct?

James: That's right. I had the good fortune to spend a couple of seasons working in the --in the field down there. And, um,
it's an incredible place. It's the most beautiful place I've ever seen by far.

Alex: Now, did you spend their...Antarctica's winter there or did you get away?

James: We were down there for the summer because it's dark all winter.

Alex: Yeah.

James: And since we were doing work with aircraft and such, you have to see where you're going, and so...

Alex: Ah.

James: ...in summertime is the time to get some work done down there.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Julia Collins is our champion and she wants to do a shout out to someone special in her family.

Julia: I do. Today is my brother's 28th birthday, so I wanted to say, "Happy Birthday, John." Hopefully, we'll get to, uh, celebrate together soon.

Alex: Yeah, don't promise too much.

Julia: That's true.

Alex: I mean, he's looking at your performance on our show and he says, "Boy, look at her go. She's won over $50,000. Maybe she'll want to share."

Julia: We'll really get to celebrate.

Alex: Okay, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOES HOLD WATER $800: From the Latin for "vase" comes this term that refers to something that carries water or carries people over water
(James: What is viaduct?)

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT $200: What may be the first air disaster came in 1785 when a fire ensued after one of these hit a chimney in Tullamore, Ireland
(Grace: What is a bird?)
(James: What is a kite?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $8,400
Grace: $5,000
James: $2,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LEO, THE POPE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STATE OF THE ART (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LEGAL MATTERS (4/5)
WORDS REFASHIONED (4/5) (Alex: In the category [*], the correct response will be a word that can be made of some of the letters in a word in the clue that we will highlight for you.)
SINGAPORE (5/5)
SITCOM NEIGHBORS (4/5) (Alex: We want you to name the show in [*].)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 12 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Grace: 7 R, 1 W
James: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Julia had $12,800, James had $3,200, and Grace was at $9,400. Julia wagered $2,000.

STATE OF THE ART $2000: Degas' portrait of his American cousin Estelle, who lived there
(What is New York?)
(Alex: No, you have to think of Degas being French. And where do a lot of French people live? [*].[*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Julia had $13,200, James had $3,200, and Grace was at $8,200. Julia wagered $2,000.

LEO, THE POPE $1200: Leo XIII's 25-year reign as pope was the 3rd longest in papal history, following Pius IX & this more recent pope

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SITCOM NEIGHBORS $1200: Jerry & Millie Helper

WORDS REFASHIONED $2000: In the sweet spot of "saccharine", you'll find this adjective meaning antiquated

LEGAL MATTERS $1600: 2 French words make up this procedure in which prospective jurors are questioned by the judge & lawyers

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $20,800 (lock game)
James: $10,000
Grace: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DIARIES & JOURNALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Julia: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
James: Wager $8,801 to cover Grace.
Grace: Risk between $601 and $8,200, covering James's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This archaeologist's diary for Nov. 26, 1922 mentions 2 "ebony-black effigies of a king, gold sandalled"

FINAL SCORES
Grace: $9,400 + $9,400 = $18,800 (Who is Carter?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $10,000 - $8,801 = $1,199 (Who is Leakey?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Julia: $20,800 - $795 = $20,005 (Who is Lord Carnarvon?) (4-day champion: $73,110)
(Alex: [after revealing Grace's response] [*], the man who discovered the tomb of King Tut.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $22,000, 26 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
James: $10,000, 13 R, 4 W
Grace: $9,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $41,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 26/60 = .433
Grace: 16/59 = .271
James: 13/58 = .224
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FROM "B" TO "Y" $600: Church feature seen here; where are the bats?

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT $600: It's the accident that got 78-year-old Texas lawyer Harry Whittington into political news in 2006
(Julia: What is getting shot in the face [pause] with, by Dick Cheney?)

SINGAPORE $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Singapore.) The cosmopolitan city of Singapore has evolved its own language called Singlish. It's a form of English with a large influence from this ethnic group that make up about four-fifths of Singaporeans
(James: What are the Malays?)

STATE OF THE ART $1600: Watts Towers
(James: What is Illinois?)
(Alex: They're not too far from here.)

WORDS REFASHIONED $1600: You'll have all the answers if "question" yields this, a coroner's search for cause of death
(Grace: What is quest?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Clara Barton
vessel
hot air balloon
Louisiana
John Paul II
The Dick Van Dyke Show
archaic
voir dire
(Howard) Carter
belfry
getting shot by Dick Cheney
Chinese
California
inquest

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Diaries & Journals
This archaelogist's diary for November 26, 1922 mentions 2 "ebony-black effigies of a king, gold sandalled".

SpoilerShow
Who is Howard Carter? James said Leakey; Julia said Lord Carnarvan.
Julia Collins: $20,800-$795=$20,005...now a 4-day champion with $73,110
James Behrens: $10,000-$8,801=$1,199
Grace Riley: $9,400+$9,400=$18,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Three 4/5 for me. Just had a big brain fart and couldn't think of anything but Lone Ranger when spotted "Lone" + "Texas". NHO "belay", and I had a major comprehension fail on the Bermuda Triangle clue in Explanation. Just couldn't figure out what they were asking for, or what would be "alien" near Florida since "alien" took me right to Area 51. It's weird when $200 is your only miss in a straightforward category like that.

3/5 in Woman Who Wrote. Can't say that I've heard of Nora Ephron. Also, my mom teaches at a school called Clara Bolen, and I always conflate it with Clara Barton.

Water eluded me except at $400. I wasn't getting "thermos" if you'd given me a month, since I don't think I've ever even SEEN one since I was in second grade.

What led to swimming pools on Water for $600?

Oddly, my only get in Accidents was the TS on "hot air balloon" at $200. SMH at the negs. Aviation/chimney accident, and you say "bird" and "kite"?!?

Clams on overvalued clues: John Paul II, humidity, island.

Accidentally loaded the NYT clue instead of the National Geographic form during the commercial break, so I saw part of the clue. Didn't help me any, since I couldn't get past "the guy who discovered King Tut" no matter how hard I tried. There wasn't even an "oh yeah!" moment when his name came up. I guess "Howard Carter" is just too generic a name to stick in my mind.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 pm

The voir in voir dire is not the current French word "to see", but from Old French (via Latin) for 'truth'.

Instaget FJ.

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Just like that, Mark Japinga is terrified. I never thought something like this season's worth of champs could happen.

esrever

Post by esrever » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Picked up Lach trash: "vessel", "hot air balloon", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "voir dire"

Didn't get FJ. I knew that the clue referred to the man who discovered King Tut's tomb, but I didn't know the discoverer's name.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 pm

I had a good game, and it would have been even better had I not missed some easy ones in the "hold water" category and the "state of the art" category. There were some that I should have gotten, but I was just a little too slow to process the clue. Still got one of my highest Coryat scores, though.

In the "words refashioned" clue at $800, where we had to make a wine using some of the letters from "tabernacle", I said "cabernet" just as a contestant did, but I realized afterwards that "claret" would also have to count. (Upon looking it up, it appears that maybe "claret" is a Britishism for Bordeaux -- at least that's what a cursory search suggests. I don't know anything about wine.)

I got FJ but I was mildly worried about whether the correct answer was Carter or Carnarvon. I was reasonably sure that Howard Carter was the guy, but it's been a long time since I've read anything in detail about the discovery of King Tut's tomb. I knew that both Carter and Carnarvon were names associated with that, so I had some cause to worry slightly, but my first instinct was correct.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Julia won her fourth game essentially by getting the last clue in DJ! to get the lock game, given what happened in FJ! Claret would have had to be accepted for the response for a wine in the letters of "Tabernacle", and it was my first thought.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:02 pm

The J! round was ridiculously easy but I didn't do so hot in DJ, despite the fact that it looked like my dream board from the categories. I was happy that I knew the Degas DD, though. I had already known that Degas had a connection to Louisiana, but I don't think that I ever would have been able to tease that one out as the writers were hoping. I also made a lucky wild guess on California, on the clue above that one.

FJ was an instant get, and if I hadn't talked myself out of the correct response on last night's FJ then this one would have been a new record, 11 in a row for me. Here's to the next streak.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Vanya, why didn't you tell us your daughter Grace was going to be on?

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Julia keeps on rolling along... another impressive lock on her part.

Did well on movie titles, and on woman and novels.

Instaget on FJ.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 pm

StevenH wrote:I had already known that Degas had a connection to Louisiana, but I don't think that I ever would have been able to tease that one out as the writers were hoping.
I knew absolutely nothing about any connection between Degas and Louisiana. I thought the writers expected us to tease that one out somehow, but unfortunately, I know that there are also a lot of Americans of French ancestry in New England, so I went with Massachusetts. (Here in Delaware, whenever I have a student with a French last name, there's a good chance that they come from New England.)

hscer

Post by hscer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 pm

FJ: Obviously the guy who found King Tut. I just wish I knew his name.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Parker Posey will be playing Grace in the movie version. (James will play himself, 'cause he was actor-hot.)

Julia looked like maybe she was outta outfits and threw on someone's scarf. I wonder if she thought she'd run the week? I ran out of new outfits after 4 shows, myself! She's a very likeable champ.

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:29 pm

I think Alex was a little misleading in his dismissal of Lord Carnarvon, since he was at the opening of the tomb too. My initial FJ thought was of Carnarvon, but I switched to Carter as the more likely answer.

FakeJohnHancock

Post by FakeJohnHancock » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:46 pm

UniquePerspective wrote:Just like that, Mark Japinga is terrified. I never thought something like this season's worth of champs could happen.
Hahaha, not really? I had been meaning to chime in about my impending ToC doom after watching a couple of Sandie's games last week. I've been pretty sure a ToC trip wasn't happening for me since Jerry and Sarah had their runs in pretty quick succession in January. Cheering for champs to lose gets old pretty fast anyway. Now I'm kind of pulling for way too many 5-time champs just out of sheer curiosity for what happens. Plus I like Julia! I'll crack open a nice bottle of something tomorrow night if she seals my fate and root for Ben because I want to be the only person who's beaten him.

Worst case scenario, they still paid me a lot of money and I probably get to be the answer to a trivia question. (Biggest winner never to make it, right?) I can't complain.

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 pm

NHO Carnarvon, but I did know Carter, and lack of knowledge helped this time! Hooray! Tremendous mislead on the FJ category, too.

The only bad miss I had this game was the Bermuda Triangle. "Alien" and "geometry" had me thinking of crop circles even though it was obviously wrong.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Dr. J wrote:Parker Posey will be playing Grace in the movie version. (James will play himself, 'cause he was actor-hot.)
My wife and I said Parker Posey for Grace right away, and my wife cast Harry Hamlin for James.

MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:57 pm

5 things I learned already more than halfway into Season 30:

1) At least we know who the 15 Battle of the Decades players are to prepare the decades battle.

2) The men are being dominated throughout after Arthur's reign ended. (Not trying to throw someone under the bus. I'm just trying to make a statement.)

3) Three weeks already, the men are falling in. After Derrick Shivar and Clay Walls, the women have been dominative lately.

4) At this point, I'm wondering if Mark Japinga is feeling a little spooked about being overtaken by Julia to fill in the spot for the Tournament of Champions, thus changing the entire concourse of having no 4-time champions overall.

5) Then it daunts on me. If Arthur goes up against Sandie, Sarah or Julia in the normal ToC, he better watch his back.

Yeah...there you go. 157 games in, 73 (possibly) to go?

Sorry...I was looking at the J-Archive to look what has been going on.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.