FJs for the 4/21/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 4/221/14 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:54 pm

With fewer than 10 member cities in attendance, this association based in Lubeck held its last assembly in 1669
69%
Vine Line is the official magazine of this Major League Baseball team
66%
William Tubman's nearly 3 decades of leadership is celebrated on his birthday, November 29, in this country
69%
This archaelogist's diary for November 26, 1922 mentions 2 "ebony-black effigies of a king, gold sandalled"
59%
The creator of this computer command called it "a 5-minute job"; in 2013 Bill Gates called it "a mistake"
72%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
25%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
2%
THE CREW $1000: The book title "Band of Brothers" is from the St. Crispin's Day speech by this Shakespearean king
54%
COLLEGES, NOT UNIVERSITIES $2000: This school in the "central" part of Vermont was the first American college to grant a bachelor's degree to a black student
44%
CONVERSIONS $1000: Stephen I, king & st. of this Central European country, converted its people to Christianity in the 11th century
42%
Even though it was a $400 clue in the DJ! round I was unable to name "Martin" as the response for "Mr. Chuzzlewit" in LITERARY TITLE FIRST NAMES.
36%
Before Tuesday's FJ! clue I cannot recall having any idea that "Vine Line" was the official magazine for the Chicago Cubs.
76%
My incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue was Lord Carnarvon.
9%
No matter the reason, I have used the Control-Alt-Delete keys maneuver within the past year.
83%
Throughout the season I have entered the contest for the Explore the World sweepstakes at least one time.
22%
I have never submitted an entry for the Explore the World sweepstakes.
72%

Total votes: 138

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 4/21/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC GROUPS

4/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With fewer than 10 member cities in attendance, this association based in Lubeck held its last assembly in 1669

4/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BASEBALL

4/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Vine Line is the official magazine of this Major League Baseball team

4/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLIDAYS IN OTHER COUNTRIES

4/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
William Tubman's nearly 3 decades of leadership is celebrated on his birthday, November 29, in this country

4/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DIARIES & JOURNALS

4/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This archaelogist's diary for November 26, 1922 mentions 2 "ebony-black effigies of a king, gold sandalled"

4/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMPUTERS

4/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The creator of this computer command called it "a 5-minute job"; in 2013 Bill Gates called it "a mistake"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Hanseatic League
Chicago Cubs
Liberia
Howard Carter
Control-Alt-Delete
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 2-1-1-1-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have one rebounded corrected, a triple stumper, and one correct by the players.

THE CREW $1000: The book title "Band of Brothers" is from the St. Crispin's Day speech by this Shakespearean king

COLLEGES, NOT UNIVERSITIES $2000: This school in the "central" part of Vermont was the first American college to grant a bachelor's degree to a black student

CONVERSIONS $1000: Stephen I, king & st. of this Central European country, converted its people to Christianity in the 11th century

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Henry V
Middlebury
Hungary
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 4/21/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Martin Chuzzlewit properly valued at $400 for me.
Vine Line cost me my 9-in-a-row streak. Figures a sad team would have a dumb name for its magazine.
I have Windows Vista so of course I have used Ctrl-Alt-Del in 2014.
Never entered the contest.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

15 in a row...FJs. Not extra questions...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'd need another 4 or 5 seconds to come up with Martin.
No clue that Vine Line was Cubs before FJ, but it made sense.
Never entered any J! contest.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Thanks for the added questions about the Explore the World Sweepstakes! I'm curious if my entering them might hinder my chances at getting on the show, especially if I wind up winning one of the trips?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
NHO Vine Line and didn't make the connection to ivy
Didn't consider Control alt del a command. I converted to a Mac last year so haven't used it in a while

Confused myself on St Stephen, since I knew Vienna has a Cathedral named for him.

I am a multiple time entrant in the sweepstakes
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
Evil for monday only because first day of the week and already I can't have a perfecto.
Friday's clue threw me for a bit because "C-A-D" isn't really a "command." Did anyone else pick up on that?
Martin at $400 seemed right
Vine Line? NHOI, but pieced it together.
Use CAD often.
Never entered their contests.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no :(

I thought of so many different potential responses on Friday. Reboot, restart, reformat, delete, undo...

I know many people said it was easy, but as I mentioned in Friday's game thread, during those 30 seconds I just couldn't make the leap from "command" to "thing that you do with a computer".

Pressing the shift key isn't a "command". Turning up the volume isn't a "command". Turning on caps lock or num lock isn't a "command".

I know I'm being a little bitter. I know that it was gettable if you relax your brain and don't think too precisely. I still didn't love the clue.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

"Hanseatic League" is one of those names I've heard but meant nothing to me. Certainly nothing in that clue was going to lead me to it.
Wednesday I connected the name Tubman with Harriet but didn't follow that line of thinking to the conclusion.
Thursday was one of those where I knew who the clue was going for but the name wasn't coming. The good news is, if past experience with that sort of frustrating miss is any indicator, I'll know Carter's name forever now.

Never heard of Martin Chuzzlewit. Aside from Moll Flanders, the whole category was a sit and stare for me.
If I've heard of Vine Line, it didn't register. But Vine > Ivy > Wrigley > Cubs was easy enough.
I've used Ctrl+Alt+Del in the last 24 hours, just to see what it does in Win7 after yesterday's clue. I used to use it a lot to launch the task manager, but with Win7 I use the start menu for that.
Never entered the Explore the World sweepstakes. Was vaguely tempted whatever day Tahiti was this week; I've heard it's a magical place.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:( :( :mrgreen:

Never heard of Vine Line, but the connection was a quick one.
I have never entered the contest.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

:cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After a 1/5 week last week, 5/5 this week was very welcome.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :( :(

I'd never heard of "Vine Line" before seeing the clue, but the Cubs were the only team I could logically connect to the title. I'm glad I didn't think of the Brewers.

In the past year, I've used Ctrl-Alt-Del in probably all the common or formerly common ways except logging in.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Got Wednesday's FJ right, but it was shoddy. Still, I knew they wrote that kind of clue on occasion, so I don't think I'd have been thrown even if I'd known the two Tubmans were unrelated. I'm also not a fan of clues with extraneous information (such as Mr. Tubman's precise birthdate) included simply for the purpose of giving people a chance to waste time thinking about something irrelevant.
I'm smart and I want respect.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

skullturf wrote:Yes, yes, yes, yes, no :(

I thought of so many different potential responses on Friday. Reboot, restart, reformat, delete, undo...

I know many people said it was easy, but as I mentioned in Friday's game thread, during those 30 seconds I just couldn't make the leap from "command" to "thing that you do with a computer".

Pressing the shift key isn't a "command". Turning up the volume isn't a "command". Turning on caps lock or num lock isn't a "command".

I know I'm being a little bitter. I know that it was gettable if you relax your brain and don't think too precisely. I still didn't love the clue.
I mean, I wouldn't say it was easy for me so to speak, I just felt it was the only answer I was capable of coming up with. I think other people may have been in the same boat.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hadn't heard of the Vine Line, have used Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and have entered all the Explore the World Sweepstakes. We won a trip to New Zealand 10 years ago, and I'm always hopeful we'll win another trip somewhere. :)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Didn't get from vine to ivy. Somehow never paid enough attention to the King Tut folks to register. (Almost said that I NHO them, but I must have.) Lucky Monday and Wednesday.

Haven't entered the sweepstakes. Have used ctrl-alt-delete, most frequently to get the Task Manager on my home Windows Vista machine. I have a Mac in my office, but, if I want to log in on a Windows 7 machine on the campus network, ctrl-alt-delete brings up the login screen.

Haven't ever read Martin Chuzzlewit, but I would have been confident enough to buzz in with it.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I haven't found anything in the fine print to indicate that I'm not eligible to win the sweepstakes, but I haven't been entering this time (I have done so in the past, before I was a contestant). My husband's been entering, so maybe if I'm nice he will bring me along!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm sure many people here saw the drama surrounding me and "Hanseatic League." I might have gotten Liberia with 30 more seconds.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Like others, I could only tie vines to wine, and so I guessed San Fran, as lame as that is.
I was mad to think I had missed an easy one on Friday, so glad to find it wasn't so simple. Don't think of ctrl-alt-del as a command, though I use it to log on at work.
Got Middlebury with the "central" TOM. Never read Martin Chuzzlewit - have to get through Bleak House first - but I know the names of Dickens novels. Aced that category.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Hello.

I recently have gotten obsessed with this show. I have been lurking here for awhile, but I just now created an account to say that I am stunned by the high get rates. They did not seem that easy to me. People here are scary good at trivia, but this was, to me, a pretty hard FJ! week.

:( :( :( :( :(

Got Middlebury thanks to our friend and wagering expert.

Never heard of the Hanseatic League, the vines around Wrigley, or Howard Carter. My mom said, "Ctrl-alt-delete?" at the start of the 30 seconds, and I thought she was out of her mind. Lastly, I associate Harriet Tubman with the USA and Canada, not Liberia.