Sports Jeopardy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sports Jeopardy

Post by soxfan99 »

That was a good mix of clues. My guess is I would do about the same on it as on regular Jeopardy, maybe a little worse. I love watching my teams, but my knowledge of other teams is very weak.

Stump the Schwab absolutely blew me away every time I watched it. "Go back and forth naming players who were on the 40-man roster of the 1978 Milwaukee Brewers." 28 players later, one of the contestants makes a mistake... I never understood how players could pull out the facts that they did.

zvescor
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by zvescor »

Will you be archiving the show or do I have to do it?

Golf

Post by Golf »

zakharov wrote:Presumably you mean unmissable for you, and if so congratulations. They were clearly missable for others as evidenced in this very thread!
Not necessarily true. I pointed out 3 questions that could be missed for different reasons, any everybody so far as gotten at least 9. I'll even throw out the HOF question because it involved geography, you could know all 4 cities and still miss it. So that leaves 8 very basic questions, if you missed any of those you probably need to study up.

It's not about what I know or don't know, I can tell basic sports questions from toughies or funky ones.
Last edited by Golf on Mon May 19, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golf

Post by Golf »

soxfan99 wrote:Stump the Schwab absolutely blew me away every time I watched it. "Go back and forth naming players who were on the 40-man roster of the 1978 Milwaukee Brewers." 28 players later, one of the contestants makes a mistake... I never understood how players could pull out the facts that they did.
That's exactly what I tried to point out upthread, there's plenty of guys out there like that.

But thanks to having the 1978 set of APBA baseball cards, I could do fairly well with the 1978 Brewers. Helluva lot better than I could with the 2014 Brewers!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

A few questions: Are Canadians allowed to participate like they are in the "real" show? (No, not asking for me (not even for a friend) as I have exactly zero interest of getting on, but the fact that it's on Crackle (which I don't think we can get) makes me think it's just for Americans.)

Also, I think the fact that you'll still be allowed on the main show if you're on Sports J! (and vice versa) is because it's broadcast on Crackle and not network TV. The stipulation in J!'s contract I'm pretty sure only precludes you from going on if you've been on a network show, so Crackle-aired shows don't count, nor would a show like The Experts (which several J! luminaries of the past (and future, I'm sure!) have appeared) as spreading the 'net to include YouTube is just plain unfair (as that would mean I'd be excluded, as my comedy act is on YouTube), so being on Crackle is a benefit for the contestant.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zvescor wrote:Will you be archiving the show or do I have to do it?
That's all you.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

dhkendall wrote:A few questions: Are Canadians allowed to participate like they are in the "real" show? (No, not asking for me (not even for a friend) as I have exactly zero interest of getting on, but the fact that it's on Crackle (which I don't think we can get) makes me think it's just for Americans.)

Also, I think the fact that you'll still be allowed on the main show if you're on Sports J! (and vice versa) is because it's broadcast on Crackle and not network TV. The stipulation in J!'s contract I'm pretty sure only precludes you from going on if you've been on a network show, so Crackle-aired shows don't count, nor would a show like The Experts (which several J! luminaries of the past (and future, I'm sure!) have appeared) as spreading the 'net to include YouTube is just plain unfair (as that would mean I'd be excluded, as my comedy act is on YouTube), so being on Crackle is a benefit for the contestant.)
Adding an extra parenthesis? Well, that's a new one.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:if you missed any of those you probably need to study up.
More likely, if you missed more than one of those 8, you aren't making the show.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lieph82 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:A few questions: Are Canadians allowed to participate like they are in the "real" show? (No, not asking for me (not even for a friend) as I have exactly zero interest of getting on, but the fact that it's on Crackle (which I don't think we can get) makes me think it's just for Americans.)

Adding an extra parenthesis? Well, that's a new one.
It looks like a 'u'. You know how those Canadians are ...

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Just got an e-mail from TPTB that they ask us to share:

Dear Ex-Jeopardy! Contestant

The world of Jeopardy! is about to get a little bigger and we wanted to let you know about it. You may have seen in the news a recent announcement of the launch of a new show called Sports Jeopardy! The weekly program will be hosted by Dan Patrick and air exclusively on Crackle. We’ll fill you in on some of the other details of the game a little further down, but let’s cut to the chase…

We’re looking for Sports Jeopardy! contestants and YOU are eligible.*

Does that get your attention? Hope so.

Contestant auditions will begin in early June and we will go into production in August. There is no prohibition against you trying out for the show. In fact, we’d love to see you! Just keep in mind that the material will all be geared toward the world of sports: historical, professional, amateur, youth leagues, world sports, and probably some examples of the exotic and quirky as well. You know, Jeopardy!-style.

Here’s the lowdown about the game. In nearly every way, Sports Jeopardy! will mirror the game play of the show we all know and love. Two rounds of play will culminate in a Final Sports Jeopardy! clue. One Daily Double in the first round, two in the second, and contestants must always phrase their responses in the form of a question. Original run is slated to premiere in October and will consist of 52 weekly shows.
•There will be 50 regular, “stand alone” shows, in which there is no returning champion.
•Contestants on Sports Jeopardy! will be playing for points. Winners will receive $5,000, 2nd place $2,000 and 3rd gets $1,000.
•The season will conclude with a two-episode championship match featuring the 3 contestants with the season’s highest point totals. The winner will take home a cash prize of $50,000.

If you are interested in being a contestant you must sign up at www.sportsjeopardy.com where you’ll also find detailed information about the audition process, production schedule, and some samples clues to give you an idea of what the test and the show will be like.

Invitations will start going out next week, so be sure to sign up right away.

And whether this is your field of expertise or not, we invite you to please share this invitation with any sports fans you think might be up to the challenge. It should be no surprise that some of our best contestants come as referrals from people like you, who really know what it takes to play our game.

We look forward to the possibility of seeing you again!

Best Regards,

The Contestant Team

*subject to meeting all other criteria

kristianzoerhoff
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kristianzoerhoff »

I just got the same email Rex did. I just hope this isn't a scam to get us all in one room for some sort of Quarter Quell.

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Just got that, too. Nice email to see. I'll probably put in for it.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I also got the email as well. Nice to know they haven't forgotten me! :P

I'll stay away from it, however. Football, soccer, hockey, hell, even cricket are ok in my realm of knowledge. But sadly, my knowledge of baseball trivia is dang near nonexistent (although I'll admit getting one right in one of my games), and most sports trivia games in the US are baseball-heavy. (Even though I'm from The Deep South, I did much better with the Canadian version of the Trivial Pursuit Sports cards, which substituted ice hockey for baseball, so that shows you how bad I am at it.)

That, plus being on the "wrong coast" to travel for a one-game $5000 potential payoff, just doesn't make it inviting. But that's just me.

Then again, maybe I should give it a shot so they can coax out the story they really wanted me to tell at the podium -- about how I learned to play ice hockey at age 35 (with predictable results).
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Tue May 20, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I also got the email. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, since it said I was eligible to try out, but as a 15-year-old, I highly doubt that.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

kristianzoerhoff wrote:I just got the same email Rex did. I just hope this isn't a scam to get us all in one room for some sort of Quarter Quell.
That was the Battle of the Decades (or at least that's why I brought my Mockingjay pin...)!

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

At age 12 or 13, I would have dominated; probably not now. But I was so pumped to see this news and even more so to get the email. Who knew the ex-contestants (especially one-timers like me) were even in the database?

I'll give it a shot.

As the college hoops team I follow said when it got a 16 seed against the No. 1 in the NCAA Tournament, why not us?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nightreign wrote:I also got the email. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, since it said I was eligible to try out, but as a 15-year-old, I highly doubt that.
I can't find anything on the site that says what the eligibility requirements are, but the fact that it only lists "state" in the address field, and the "year of birth field" only goes up to 1996, probably means that both you (as a 15 year old) and me (as a Canadian (who would suck anyways at Sports Jeopardy)) are both ineligible.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well, I just drilled into the details at http://sportsjeopardy.azurewebsites.net ... sample.pdf

Nutshell version -- sign up online, get selected to try out at one of several sites (only east coast site is "Philly/New York"; others listed are Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, and Dallas), take 30-question quiz in the same format as the regular J! test -- Clue on screen w/audio, eight seconds to write it down, on to the next one. Tests are then taken up and graded. Passers stay for mock game. Then hurry up and wait.

It does say 18 and over, but doesn't mention US residents only. I suppose the audition locales would limit that, anyway.

Took their sample test, didn't do so well. Think I'll sit this one out.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:That, plus being on the "wrong coast" to travel for a one-game $5000 potential payoff, just doesn't make it inviting. But that's just me.
That's what I was thinking... but at the same time, the fact that this show even exists is a dream come true for me. If nothing else, I'd love to play it just for the fun factor. It would easily be the most fun I've ever had.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: doesn't mention US residents only. I suppose the audition locales would limit that, anyway.
Not necessarily, they often don't have a Canadian audition city in regular J! (when they do, it's invariably Toronto), yet Canadians appear all the time! I'm sure Vancouverites would go to Seattle, Torontonians would go to Buffalo or NYC, Windsorians would go to Detroit or Chicago, etc. I habitually choose Minneapolis or Chicago for my audition cities (even when Toronto is an option, because both of those are much closer to me.)

We *are* allowed to travel to the US, you know. :)

(BTW, my previous objections as to why i thought Canadians weren't able to apply was that it's on Crackle, which I was under the impression was closed to Canadians, but now it looks like I'm able to access it??!!?? Looks like I have some catching up to do in viewing!)