Sports Jeopardy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sports Jeopardy

Post by jjwaymee »

I didn't get an audition for Chicago either. It tells me that there was a lottery element to the audition emails.

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

JFanForever wrote:Would someone please be kind enough to tell me how or what you had to do for an email? I should've gotten one for Chicago since I signed up but never received my email. I wish I knew where the venue was.
I didn't do anything other than sign up on the website. As posted, maybe there was a lottery element or first come first served? I think I submitted immediately after hearing about it.
Sheepin' it real.

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

If there's a lottery element, that's really too bad. There are so many factors that go into Jeopardy and a lot of people that know their stuff, but if there is one subject on this entire planet I could probably do well on, it's sports, and I cannot guarantee it, but I think I could even go all the way. I don't know. Hopefully something still happens.

Golf

Post by Golf »

JFanForever wrote:If there's a lottery element, that's really too bad. There are so many factors that go into Jeopardy and a lot of people that know their stuff, but if there is one subject on this entire planet I could probably do well on, it's sports, and I cannot guarantee it, but I think I could even go all the way. I don't know. Hopefully something still happens.
Um, you do know there's a lottery element to regular Jeopardy as well don't you?

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Golf wrote:
JFanForever wrote:If there's a lottery element, that's really too bad. There are so many factors that go into Jeopardy and a lot of people that know their stuff, but if there is one subject on this entire planet I could probably do well on, it's sports, and I cannot guarantee it, but I think I could even go all the way. I don't know. Hopefully something still happens.
Um, you do know there's a lottery element to regular Jeopardy as well don't you?
I suspect a not-insignificant percentage of people who get the invitation will not go to the audition... assuming that many of these people actually reply to the email indicating that they can't make it (one would hope people would do so), I'd expect "extra" spots would open up.

lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

JFanForever wrote:Would someone please be kind enough to tell me how or what you had to do for an email? I should've gotten one for Chicago since I signed up but never received my email. I wish I knew where the venue was.
Not long after I signed up online I did get an email from Jeopardy asking me to tell them which city I preferred for an audition. (They said that when I had signed up the option of making a choice wasn't yet available, which I don't think is true.) I told them NYC, and got an invite three weeks later.

If anyone got such an email and responded to it with Chicago or NYC but hasn't gotten the follow-up invite, it might be worth responding to the same email again. You could say you were just wondering if invites are going out, because you'd be very happy to go. Not sure it would help, but doesn't seem likely to hurt.

On the other hand, if someone signed up online and has heard nothing at all from Jeopardy, I don't know if there is a way to express your continued interest without appearing to be a pest. Though that's certainly another way to go.

NewsToTom
Contributor

Post by NewsToTom »

I received a Chicago audition email tonight, for 7/12.

pmoehrin

Post by pmoehrin »

Has anyone heard back from NYC yet?

I put in my e-mail maybe two days after the site opened up but still haven't heard anything back.

Really hope its not a random selection of people they take.

It would be one thing to be told I'm not good enough to make it on the show, but to not even get a chance is something else.

pmoehrin

Post by pmoehrin »

Has anyone heard anything back yet from New York.

Really hoping the lottery thing isn't true. Its one thing to be told your not good enough, but quite another to not even get a chance.

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

pmoehrin wrote:Has anyone heard anything back yet from New York.

Really hoping the lottery thing isn't true. Its one thing to be told your not good enough, but quite another to not even get a chance.
If you look upthread, a couple of us have already received NYC audition invites for 7/19.

The regular audition process has a lottery element too. I hope you get your chance this year or next.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Remember, there are only X number of seats available for each test site and time, so yes, there is a random aspect to who gets The Email. Having said that, more invites may go out as some folks decline to accept the test/audition invite. Good luck.

pmoehrin

Post by pmoehrin »

zakharov wrote:

If you look upthread, a couple of us have already received NYC audition invites for 7/19.

The regular audition process has a lottery element too. I hope you get your chance this year or next.
I'm hopeful to, but also slowly resigning myself to the fact that its probably not going to happen it others have been sent out, but not mine.

Was looking for information online about what was going on and stumbled across this which has been helpful.

Only other experience I had was with Stump the Schwab which was an open call.

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Then I really have my luck diminished if it's a lottery call. It's been a dream of mine for years to be on a sports trivia show. I was not 18 when Stump the Schwab was on and cancelled before I turned 18. Now this.

pmoehrin

Post by pmoehrin »

JFanForever wrote:Then I really have my luck diminished if it's a lottery call. It's been a dream of mine for years to be on a sports trivia show. I was not 18 when Stump the Schwab was on and cancelled before I turned 18. Now this.
They're still advertising, so maybe they aren't quite done yet.

I can't imagine there being that many people wanting to try out or even aware of this, but then again who knows.

I just know there's been shows with way more people wanting to go out for it then this and they found a way to at least give people a chance.

This just seems to be the equivalent of having your name pulled out of a hat. And I could do with being told no. I was told no with Schwab even though I passed the initial screening test, but your also trying to pick out the best 70 out of 500. I get that's hard and your always going to leave good people out and select bad ones. I still watched though.

But this if I'm not even given an audition I'm not sure I would. Just too painful. And I know there are people who have been trying for years to make it on Jeopardy, but for our sports geeks, this is first chance in eight years that I've had and for a lot of us may not even get another for a long time if the show only goes one season.

psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Hey,

This is my first post to JBoard, and I've just started to watch Jeopardy on an everyday basis three months ago! I tried out for Sports Jeopardy in Vegas and I made passed the test! Without getting into too much detail, it was a very difficult test (15 out of 100 from our group made it), and if I didn't make it through, I wouldn't have been surprised. My initial thinking about the game is I think they'll use heavily on sports that are not so much in the mainstream, like football, basketball, baseball, and I also think that they may allow us to wear jerseys of our favorite sports teams, as it's a much different atmosphere. It was a great experience!

TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

At the Dallas audition I attended, 24 out of 80+ passed the test and were invited to stay for the full audition.

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

TryphonTournesol wrote:At the Dallas audition I attended, 24 out of 80+ passed the test and were invited to stay for the full audition.
Anyone know how many audition groups per day there are?
Sheepin' it real.

TryphonTournesol

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
TryphonTournesol wrote:At the Dallas audition I attended, 24 out of 80+ passed the test and were invited to stay for the full audition.
Anyone know how many audition groups per day there are?
I heard them say there would only be two in Dallas but that there were three in the other cities. Although I have no idea how many people passed in each location, a rough guesstimate suggests there are maybe only a few hundred people in the initial pool for 150 spots. Much better odds of being called than for regular Jeopardy!, I imagine - though also much less money at stake.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Would you say the test was as difficult as the regular on line test?

TryphonTournesol

Bamaman wrote:Would you say the test was as difficult as the regular on line test?
Hard to say. Without going into any detail, I would say it did its best to cover a wide range of sports. I think someone who is relatively into sports trivia would find it comparable to how someone who is relatively into trivia would find the regular online test, but returns might vary at opposite ends of the spectrum.