Sports Jeopardy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Sports Jeopardy

Post by StevenH »

I wanted to sign up to try to get an audition, but TPTB aren't doing auditions anywhere near me. The only categories that I would have been good in are MLB, NBA, and PGA, but it still would have been fun.

Also, $5000 was the payout on Win Ben Stein's Money. A lot of former J! champs appeared on that show.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I'm tempted, though I don't know how well I would do.

ETA 5/12 on the sample test. Never mind. :)
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

11 out of 12 on the sample test. I stupidly missed Boston Marathon despite knowing that it has already taken place this year. I wasn't familiar with the winner's name, so I thought New York City Marathon (not knowing that it happens in November).
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

ElendilPickle wrote:I'm tempted, though I don't know how well I would do.

ETA 5/12 on the sample test. Never mind. :)
3/12. Nope. Not for me.
Leander

Post by Leander »

8 of 12 for me, but certain I would not do that well under pressure. I didn't think the questions were that difficult for a sports trivia enthusiast (I do not count myself among them)
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

I got a 9 out of 12 on the practice test. I can only hope they have a healthy dose of MMA questions, since not too many sports trivia mavens have yet to incorporate the sport into their canon.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Vermonter wrote:also, I hope the "Think!" music is just the song from the 10-second commercial: "SPORTS! JEOP-AR-DY! SPORTS! JEOP-AR-DY!"

(can't find a video, sadly)
I said the same thing on Facebook last week. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GmXnnczipE
goongas

Post by goongas »

It seems to me the optimum strategy for Sports J! is to always bet everything, for any shot in making the final two matches, regardless of where you are in the game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sadly, none of the audition spots are within 900 miles of me and I'm not driving/flying that far for a max of $5000. Maybe when/if they're auditioning closer.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

CrunchyTaco wrote:I got a 9 out of 12 on the practice test. I can only hope they have a healthy dose of MMA questions, since not too many sports trivia mavens have yet to incorporate the sport into their canon.
This is certainly true. I think exactly one of the sports mavens I know is into MMA, and it sure ain't me!
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

7/12. Some others on this thread sound like they might have a good shot, though...
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

goongas wrote:It seems to me the optimum strategy for Sports J! is to always bet everything, for any shot in making the final two matches, regardless of where you are in the game.
Yep. Sort of lame. They should have made it a tourney
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

dhkendall wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: doesn't mention US residents only. I suppose the audition locales would limit that, anyway.
Not necessarily, they often don't have a Canadian audition city in regular J! (when they do, it's invariably Toronto), yet Canadians appear all the time! I'm sure Vancouverites would go to Seattle, Torontonians would go to Buffalo or NYC, Windsorians would go to Detroit or Chicago, etc. I habitually choose Minneapolis or Chicago for my audition cities (even when Toronto is an option, because both of those are much closer to me.)

We *are* allowed to travel to the US, you know. :)

(BTW, my previous objections as to why i thought Canadians weren't able to apply was that it's on Crackle, which I was under the impression was closed to Canadians, but now it looks like I'm able to access it??!!?? Looks like I have some catching up to do in viewing!)
I've had Crackle a good two years now...best way to watch uh...I don't even know why I have Crackle. I think it has the Jerry Seinfeld Cars thing.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
MikeDupee
Victim of Sarbanes-Oxley

Post by MikeDupee »

Got them all but Brooklyn Decker and Jerry Kramer...Probably shouldn't have looked Brooklyn Decker up at work...Well played, Andy Roddick, well played.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Sup

zvescor
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Sports Jeopardy news!

Post by zvescor »

1. Sportscaster Dan Patrick will host the show, but it has not been confirmed if Johnny Gilbert will serve as narrator as he would on real J!
2. Gameplay on SJ! will be the same as real J!, except the dollars are replaced by something I call Sports Bucks. The player with the highest total of SBs will win $5,000, the second highest total $2,000, and the lowest, $1,000.
3. The show will consist of 50 episodes, each with three different contestants. The season will end with a one-hour Championship Match (that's two regular episodes), in which the contestants with the highest ever totals on the season will play for the grand prize of $50,000.

Thank you to the Crackle website (http://sportsjeopardy.azurewebsites.net ... -about.pdf) for the info!
laxtarheel

Post by laxtarheel »

It looks like emails are going out for this already. I received an email this morning to audition on Saturday, June 7 at the Sony Studios in Culver City. Exciting!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I got the email confirming which audition city I'd requested. Hopefully another one is soon to follow.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Anyone have any thoughts about whether you should audition for Sports Jeopardy differently than for Jeopardy!? For example:

1. Should one dress differently, e.g., wear a sports jersey, paint your face, etc.?
2. Should one's personal stories be sports related?
3. Should one display fanatic-like enthusiasm during the audition? Obviously not to the point where you are a distraction to the game, but more than you might show at a regular Jeopardy! audition?
Sheepin' it real.
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about whether you should audition for Sports Jeopardy differently than for Jeopardy!? For example:

1. Should one dress differently, e.g., wear a sports jersey, paint your face, etc.?
2. Should one's personal stories be sports related?
3. Should one display fanatic-like enthusiasm during the audition? Obviously not to the point where you are a distraction to the game, but more than you might show at a regular Jeopardy! audition?
My two (or three) cents on this:

1. Depends on the instructions they give you for the audition. From what I've heard, the one thing you absolutely must do at auditions is show you can follow directions. But if they don't specifically tell you to dress a certain way, you might have more leeway at a sports audition to do things to stand out.

2. Seems they would want some of your stories sports related, but I don't see why they would be against someone having at least some of their stories non-sports related (if they're good stories).

3. My impression is that for the regular show, appearing to be really fanatical about trivia or Jeopardy! may not help you get on. They want regular people who just happen to know a lot of stuff. For the sports one, being pretty fanatical about sports in some way might well be a positive. So a little more fanatic-like enthusiasm might also be OK. On the other hand, for any audition you should already be about as enthusiastic as you can possibly be while still following directions and keeping things moving, so there isn't that much room to do things differently.

I just got one of those "What audition city was it that you wanted?" emails, so I'm hoping that in a few weeks my uninformed speculation will become slightly more informed speculation.