Sports Jeopardy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mike21878
Contributor

Re: Sports Jeopardy

Post by mike21878 »

Having been at the Dallas audition, and being a one-day champ, i'd say the questions were definitely more niche oriented than most of Jeopardy. I've found that on the TV show, there's usually a clue within the clue as to what it is. With many of the questions, you either knew who/where/when/what they were talking about, or you didn't. Those that passed it, kudos to them. I'd estimate I had about 24-26 of the 30 right, but didn't make the cut.

And without giving away the store, if you can get the app on your ipad/iphone, do it. While the questions weren't exactly the same, there was one REALLY obscure question that I only knew because of the app.

Someone asked earlier what the "dress" was. I'd say it was 90% polo shirts and khaki shorts.

Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those that made it. It's a level of sports knowledge that is beyond me for sure .... this year :)
pmoehrin

Post by pmoehrin »

Tried sending the regular Jeopardy an e-mail asking about my audition e-mail, because the Sports Jeopardy site doesn't have anyone listed to contact (Probably for precisely this reason). Heard nothing back so far and doubt I will either.

Again it would be one thing to not pass the test or not do well in the interview, but to not even get a chance to do either just flat out blows.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They can't invite everyone who applied. They have a finite amount of time and resources to put this together and with only 150 contestants getting on the show, there is no real need to try out that many people.

I am sorry if you didn't get invited, but there will be bigger disappointments in your life.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

mike21878 wrote:Having been at the Dallas audition, and being a one-day champ, i'd say the questions were definitely more niche oriented than most of Jeopardy. I've found that on the TV show, there's usually a clue within the clue as to what it is. With many of the questions, you either knew who/where/when/what they were talking about, or you didn't. Those that passed it, kudos to them. I'd estimate I had about 24-26 of the 30 right, but didn't make the cut.
The Jeopardy test questions don't generally seem to have many of those clues do they? I think you are referring more to the questions that appear on the show. Amiright?

A little surprised/discouraged by 24-26/30 (80-87%) not making the cut. (I'm testing in Chicago later this month.) I've seen people state on here that they thought that the cutoff for the Jeopardy online test is around 35/50 (70%). Maybe the higher threshold is because of the limited number of episodes?
Sheepin' it real.
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by TryphonTournesol »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
mike21878 wrote:Having been at the Dallas audition, and being a one-day champ, i'd say the questions were definitely more niche oriented than most of Jeopardy. I've found that on the TV show, there's usually a clue within the clue as to what it is. With many of the questions, you either knew who/where/when/what they were talking about, or you didn't. Those that passed it, kudos to them. I'd estimate I had about 24-26 of the 30 right, but didn't make the cut.
The Jeopardy test questions don't generally seem to have many of those clues do they? I think you are referring more to the questions that appear on the show. Amiright?

A little surprised/discouraged by 24-26/30 (80-87%) not making the cut. (I'm testing in Chicago later this month.) I've seen people state on here that they thought that the cutoff for the Jeopardy online test is around 35/50 (70%). Maybe the higher threshold is because of the limited number of episodes?
Just because someone thinks that they had 24-26/30 right and didn't make the cut doesn't necessarily mean they had that many right, with all due respect to mike21878. I would estimate I had about 25/30 and I *did* make the cut, so do with that what you will. Maybe I got lucky on a couple guesses and/or Mike had a couple that he felt good about that were actually wrong.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

mike21878 wrote: And without giving away the store, if you can get the app on your ipad/iphone, do it. While the questions weren't exactly the same, there was one REALLY obscure question that I only knew because of the app.
I have an audition next weekend. I had a feeling the Sports Jeopardy app would be important, but Google Play says it's incompatible with my device. I'd like to know if I can play it on my Chromebook, but I haven't been able to figure it out and so far no one else has been able to help. Anyone here...?
goongas

Post by goongas »

You can't run Android apps on Chromebooks yet. Google is working on this for the future.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Anyone know how participation in Sports Jeopardy would affect one's eligibility to be on regular Jeopardy?
Sheepin' it real.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

It doesn't affect it - the rules specifically say this.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

I was invited to an audition in New York City to Sports Jeopardy! on July 19. I hesitated to commit to going because I was not sure it would be worth my while to spend time and money traveling to New York, especially if I am not all that confident in my sports knowledge at the level of Sports Jeopardy! I did the sample questions on their website and I got 9/12.

I thought I e-mailed them back within the 4 business day window that they requested, but but now I am not sure if my e-mail was received, or ever sent, because I don't see the e-mail in my sent messages folder, and I never got a response. I e-mailed them again on Saturday to let them know I am still interested in coming, but I don't know if I was already scratched off the list because they didn't receive my e-mail within 4 business days. I am trying to figure out whom to call to verify that I am still on the list for the auditions in New York on the 19th. But I can't find any telephone number anywhere!!! I am going to call the Sony Pictures Entertainment Customer Service number on Monday and ask them how to get in touch with them by telephone. It would really suck to spend time and money traveling to New York just to be told I was scratched off the list because I didn't respond quickly enough.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

A drop of golden sun wrote:I was invited to an audition in New York City to Sports Jeopardy! on July 19. I hesitated to commit to going because I was not sure it would be worth my while to spend time and money traveling to New York, especially if I am not all that confident in my sports knowledge at the level of Sports Jeopardy! I did the sample questions on their website and I got 9/12.

I thought I e-mailed them back within the 4 business day window that they requested, but but now I am not sure if my e-mail was received, or ever sent, because I don't see the e-mail in my sent messages folder, and I never got a response. I e-mailed them again on Saturday to let them know I am still interested in coming, but I don't know if I was already scratched off the list because they didn't receive my e-mail within 4 business days. I am trying to figure out whom to call to verify that I am still on the list for the auditions in New York on the 19th. But I can't find any telephone number anywhere!!! I am going to call the Sony Pictures Entertainment Customer Service number on Monday and ask them how to get in touch with them by telephone. It would really suck to spend time and money traveling to New York just to be told I was scratched off the list because I didn't respond quickly enough.
Did they tell you the time and place of the audition in the initial e-mail?
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Not in the original e-mail, but in the 2nd one (received June 19) it told me the time, date, and place. It said to respond within 4 business days to guarantee my spot, but I am not sure if I did...I may not have. How do I find out if I am still on the list or if I was scratched off the list????????
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

A drop of golden sun wrote:Not in the original e-mail, but in the 2nd one (received June 19) it told me the time, date, and place. It said to respond within 4 business days to guarantee my spot, but I am not sure if I did...I may not have. How do I find out if I am still on the list or if I was scratched off the list????????
I got an email for NYC and responded to it, and didn't get a response in return. But I don't think it's their practice to respond to responses, so not getting one probably doesn't mean anything.

It may be a little risky for you to go without further confirmation, but I would be extremely surprised if they turned away someone who has a printed invitation, and who says he thought there might have been a technical problem with a email response, and so responded again. Especially in an audition like this, where they apparently will have enough room for at least 100-150 people to take a written test.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I got an invite to July 20 in NYC, but I have a confict. I Emailed them saying I couldn't attend and recieved an Email back within a day saying that they may come back to New York and they would keep my name on the list if they do.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Fortunately, Jeopardy! e-mailed me back (which I was not sure they would) to confirm that I am indeed still on the list for the NYC test/audition on July 19. Wish me luck! And I am going to download that app, maybe it will help me pass the test and be on the show. :-)
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

What time is your NYC audition? I've got 1 PM.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
mike21878
Contributor

Post by mike21878 »

I know in Dallas, they didn't check us in or anything like that. I imagine if you passed the test, and weren't on the list, it might have been an issue :-)
TheyCallMeMrKid

Sweetness! I made it into the Sports Jeopardy contestant pool today!
Sheepin' it real.
TomSegi
Contributor

Post by TomSegi »

Who will be in Chicago today trying out? I am on the interstate now. Will report details later.
Golf

Post by Golf »

TomSegi wrote:Who will be in Chicago today trying out? I am on the interstate now. Will report details later.
If we don't hear back about this audition we'll know that posting on the internet while driving is not a good idea. :o