Monday, May 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon May 05, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6831, 2014-05-05

Battle of the Decades quarterfinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Roger Craig, a data scientist from Brooklyn, New York
Robin Carroll, an instructional designer and curriculum developer from Atlanta, Georgia
Leszek Pawlowicz, a shovel bum from Flagstaff, Arizona

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to what I believe is the most highly anticipated of all the tournaments in Jeopardy! history. All of this week, we will have a Jeopardy! champion representing each of our three decades on the air. Should be a lot of fun. Roger, Robin, and Leszek, good luck. Here we go. And now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BRIEF TIME OF HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ONE-WORD BOOK TITLES (5/5)
WE'RE A NORTH AMERICAN BAND! (5/5)
WHAT'S IN A NAME? (5/5)
BOOZE (3/5)
A WORD TO THE "I"s (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with the letter "I".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Leszek: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Robin: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Roger: 9 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leszek found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Leszek had $2,000, Robin was scoreless, and Roger had nothing in the bank. Leszek made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

A BRIEF TIME OF HISTORY $600: Israeli forces destroyed Egypt's air force on the ground on June 5, 1967, the first day of this war

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Leszek: $5,800
Robin: $2,800
Roger: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jeopardy! and in particular being on Jeopardy! and winning on Jeopardy! can be life-changing. Roger Craig has had some really nice things happen to him as the result of being on our program, and one happened not so long ago. Tell us.

Roger: Yes. Uh, last month, my show aired for Battle of the Decades, and that was the second-nicest thing that happened to me that week. I actually got engaged the next day, and she had no idea it was coming. It was--it was, uh... it was wonderful.

Alex: I'm sure it was.

[Applause]

Alex: And you're still together, obviously.

Roger: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Robin Carroll...

Robin: Hi.

Alex: ...Finally got her own hashtag on Twitter?

Robin: I did. I did.

Alex: And it ties in with Jeopardy!?

Robin: It does. Um, I work for an education company. We produce web-based training in professional fields like real estate and home inspection. And naturally, they thought Jeopardy! was something that maybe they could publicize, and it's nice for people to know you have someone smart writing your training for you. Um, so they created the hashtag #whoisrobincarroll.

Alex: #whoisrobincarroll, good.

Robin: Yes, and, like, I am totally in the new millennium now.

Alex: Good for you. I'll get there some day, some decade, maybe in the next decade.

Alex: Leszek Pawlowicz, we talked the last time you were on the program about your interest in archaeology. But in addition to that, you've used some of your winnings to fund a special kind of research group.

Leszek: Yes, uh, a few friends of mine, along with me, put together the Southwest Archaeology Research Alliance, which is a nonprofit that's going to try and tackle the, uh, research interests in archaeology that no one else has any money for.

Alex: Aha. Give me an example of the kind of thing that you're going to be specializing in.

Leszek: Well, there's an--a site that was dug east of Flagstaff, where I live, about 50 years ago, and they dug all the stuff up and put it in boxes and haven't looked at it. And we're gonna go back and take a look at it and see, uh, what we can figure out from that.

Alex: Okay. You need to be patient in that line of work, right?

Leszek: Yes, we do.

Alex: Okay. You need to be quick on Jeopardy! Let's see what happens now.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOZE $400: This brand known for its XO Excellence champagne cognac is named for a French winegrower
(Roger: What is Courvoisier?)

BOOZE $1000: This Polish brand calls itself "the world's first luxury vodka"
(Roger: What is... Smirnoff?)
(Alex: Smirnoff, of course, is Russian, not Polish.)

A WORD TO THE "I"s $800: Tajik is a variety of this language
(Roger: What is Af... Afghani?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Leszek: $7,800
Robin: $4,000
Roger: $3,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon May 05, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LESSER-KNOWN AMERICANS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BALLET & OPERA (5/5)
SLANG (2/5)
AFRICAN CAPITALS (4/5)
AN ODD CAST OF CHARACTERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Roger: 13 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Leszek: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Robin: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Roger snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Leszek had $7,400, Robin had $4,000, and Roger was at $3,400. Roger made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME $1600: Following Einstein, in 1908 Hermann Minkowski proposed the idea of 4-dimensional this hyphenated term

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Roger who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Leszek had $13,400, Robin had $3,600, and Roger was at $9,200. Roger wagered $5,000.

LESSER-KNOWN AMERICANS $1200: With a mark of 5'6" in this event, in 1948 5'7" Alice Coachman became the first African-American woman to win Olympic gold
(Alex: You're giving these so much thought, you're scaring me. Go again, though.)
(Roger: Sorry. You're scaring me more.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AFRICAN CAPITALS $2000: This capital city is on Cape Verde peninsula but not in the country of Cape Verde
(Leszek: What is Praia?)

AN ODD CAST OF CHARACTERS $800: 2013:
Finley,
Evanora,
Glinda
(Leszek: What is... [sighs]... Oz the Magnificent?)
(Roger: What is... Oz the Powerful?)

SLANG $800: "Skrilla" refers to this; the DJ Skrillex must have tons of it

SLANG $1600: In "Mean Streets" a fight starts over this 4-letter term for a crude northeastern guy, though no one understands it

SLANG $2000: Harris Wittels' book was titled this oxymoron: "The Art of False Modesty"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Roger: $21,000
Leszek: $15,000
Robin: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Roger: Wager $9,001 to cover Leszek, but no more than $10,599 so as not to fall behind Robin's doubled score.
Leszek: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,000 (martian), and you'll win the game if Roger wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Robin: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for a timid person comes from the last name of a character in a 1920s newspaper comic called "The Timid Soul"

FINAL SCORES
Robin: $5,200 - $5,200 = $0 (What is a Mitty?) (3rd place)
Leszek: $15,000 - $0 = $15,000 (What is ?) (2nd place)
Roger: $21,000 + $1,078 = $22,078 (What is a milquetoast?! [a small picture of a cat face]) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: His first name was Casper.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Roger: $15,400, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 6 W
Leszek: $13,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Robin: $5,200, 11 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Roger: 23/60 = .383
Leszek: 19/59 = .322
Robin: 11/58 = .190
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A BRIEF TIME OF HISTORY $400: Catherine Howard was married to this man from 1540 to 1542
[Applause for Leszek's run of the category]

WE'RE A NORTH AMERICAN BAND! $600: B-b-b-baby, name this band that topped the charts in 1974

"You ain't seen nothin' yet /
B-b-b-baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet /
Here's something, here's..."

BOOZE $200: This Canadian whisky was created in 1939 to celebrate the visit of the king of England
(Leszek: What is Canadian Club?)

BOOZE $800: The fancy bee logo is
on this brand's silver tequila

A WORD TO THE "I"s $600: Veranda seen here
in Hawaii

AFRICAN CAPITALS $1600: On the Ubangi River, Bangui is the capital of this 3-word nation
(Roger: What is... Republic of Congo?)

BALLET & OPERA $1600: At the end of this Verdi opera, Violetta dies of consumption in the arms of Alfredo
(Robin: What is La bohème?)

BALLET & OPERA $1200: At the end of a Mozart opera, this title character is dragged into the flames of hell
(Roger: Who is Don Juan?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Six-Day War
Rémy Martin
Belvedere
Farsi
space-time
high jump
Dakar, Senegal
Oz the Great and Powerful
money
mook
Humblebrag
milquetoast
Henry VIII
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Crown Royal
Patrón
a lanai
the Central African Republic
La traviata
Don Giovanni

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Word Origins
This word for a timid person comes from the last name of a character in a 1920s newspaper comic called "The Timid Soul".
SpoilerShow
What is Milquetoast? Robin said Mitty; Leszek had no guess.

Roger Craig: $21,000+$1,078=$22,078
Leszek Pawlowicz: $15,000-$0=$15,000
Robin Carroll: $5,200-$5,200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon May 05, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Mon May 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Lots of incorrect guesses today it felt like. Robin and Roger both seemed nervous (not that I'd blame them.)

Got final, but missed the 2 Daily Doubles in the 2nd round.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon May 05, 2014 5:08 pm

The game might have turned out differently if Roger hadn't won the buzzer race on pterodactyl, giving him the Daily Double. But as Roger had a sole get in FJ, he might have won anyway.

Roger did seem to be nervous, but imagine how well he'd done if he hadn't been!!!

I started off well, running that first category along with Leszek, but missed a lot after that.

I had wimp on FJ. But after some thought and wondering if that came from the Popeye character, I got it right at the last second, but not enough time to change it on my paper so will sadly have to count it as wrong.

I think Leszek has a good shot at a wild card, but it will be hard to tell with this group.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon May 05, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon May 05, 2014 5:54 pm

An "aww"-inducing anecdote today--congrats to them!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon May 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Bridget was my only miss in What's in a Name?, and Lanai my only miss in "I"s Have It.

Emperor seemed overvalued at $800.

Lach Trash: Farsi.

Favorite clue of the day: North American Band for $800.

Couldn't think of a word for a shy person. I didn't think milquetoast meant shy. I thought it just meant weak or bland.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Mon May 05, 2014 7:29 pm

I too had "wimp" for FJ. Didn't know the origin of milquetoast at all.

I thought this board was actually easier than previous BOTD boards. Didn't track my score, but Booze and North American Bands were full of gimmies. I thought "high jump" was ludicrously easy for a DD at this level, and almost talked myself out of it.

Congrats to Roger! The semis should be great.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 pm

First off, congrats to Roger. Certainly not your best game, but the result was the one you wanted!

I don't feel so bad for having the same FJ response as Leszek. :)

So, did you look at the old scores for your cut-off point, Leszek, or did you just figure that $15,000 was the right spot (I would have zero-bet, too)?

This puts me 3/16 in BoD FJ's.

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective » Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Fun first game to start.

It'd be interesting to see how it would have turned out if Roger didn't get the two DDs. Leszek probably would have a much higher score, but Roger was still the only one to get FJ. Shame about Robin because she did well all things considered I feel. Congrats to Roger, and I would think 15k would be enough for Leszek, but you never know.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 pm

THE DREAM FINAL IS ALIVE. WHAT A COMEBACK. Image

Epic game to start things off. This is going to be an incredible two weeks.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 pm

I would have thought Roger was a "timid soul" if I judged him solely based on his wagers in this episode...

esrever

Post by esrever » Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Roger didn't look very sharp at first, missing some clues, but he finished strongly.

Picked up Lach trash: "Remy Martin", "Farsi", "Dakar", "money"

Didn't get FJ. Like a couple of other boardies, I also guessed "wimp."

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 pm

I'll be honest. I've never heard of "milquetoast" before. Last second guess of "scaredy cat" to put something down.

SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl » Mon May 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Fortunately with his victory, the matter is moot, but Roger might have had cause for appeal for the ruling of one of his responses as incorrect. "At the end of a Mozart opera, this title character is dragged into the flames of hell". Roger said "Don Juan" and while the opera is called "Don Giovanni" it is the same character; just being named in different languages (Italian vs. Spanish). If being performed in a Spanish language country the opera could be called "Don Juan". Yes, it's rather a stretch but I'm glad it didn't wind up costing Roger the game.

Robin at least partially redeemed her incorrect response of "La Boheme" by coming up with the sought for "Don Giovanni.

I love when they have opera categories!

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Mon May 05, 2014 7:46 pm

I scored below my average (which is to be expected) but I still did well for a tournament game, running 3 categories in the J round and one in the DJ round.

I said "Farsi" at home, but may have been a little reluctant to ring in on the show, given that it was in the fourth row. I don't know much about which Stans are which, but some of them are near Iran and Afghanistan, and Farsi seemed like the most obvious example of a language ending in "i" that might be spoken in that part of the world.

I also made the correct guess on "Skrilla". I didn't know it, but just guessed from context. I also managed to guess "humblebrag" before Alex said it, but after time had run out for the contestants.

This FJ played to my strengths. Word origins *and* the history of newspaper comic strips? Yes, please! I'm pretty sure I've actually read about the origin of the term before. Otherwise, this very well might have been a tough one to make an educated guess on. I suppose you'd have to think of words referring to a timid person, and try to think of which of those seem the most likely to be the last name of a cartoon character.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Mon May 05, 2014 7:58 pm

SavoyGirl wrote:Fortunately with his victory, the matter is moot, but Roger might have had cause for appeal for the ruling of one of his responses as incorrect. "At the end of a Mozart opera, this title character is dragged into the flames of hell". Roger said "Don Juan" and while the opera is called "Don Giovanni" it is the same character; just being named in different languages (Italian vs. Spanish). If being performed in a Spanish language country the opera could be called "Don Juan". Yes, it's rather a stretch but I'm glad it didn't wind up costing Roger the game.

Robin at least partially redeemed her incorrect response of "La Boheme" by coming up with the sought for "Don Giovanni.

I love when they have opera categories!
Seconded, I was surprised they didn't give it to him during a break.

Don't want to humblebrag, but I picked up Lach Trash on it (and money).

NoName84

Post by NoName84 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:58 pm

skullturf wrote:I suppose you'd have to think of words referring to a timid person, and try to think of which of those seem the most likely to be the last name of a cartoon character.
How I got it.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Mon May 05, 2014 8:04 pm

For the most part I liked this board, but I was not a fan of the "African Capitals" category. Four of the five clues were "name the country from its capital." Sorry, but for this level of play that's bogus. I did like the clue on "Dakar," and like Leszek I fell into the "Praia" trap, but I noticed right after I said it that the phrasing implied that it's a city that's located in a different country. Also, I also thought that "Giselle" was overvalued at $2000, but would have been okay there for the regular show.

It was funny that the Ubangi River came up again in this game, after Leszek got a clue on it in his first round match. I had never heard of it at the time.

I thought that Roger should have wagered smaller on the "high jump" DD, but I am glad that it worked out for him. I guessed "long jump."

I knew that I was toast in FJ when I saw the category. At least the correct response was a word that I actually knew.

Congrats to Roger on the win, and to all three players on a phenomenal game!

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle » Mon May 05, 2014 8:17 pm

SavoyGirl wrote:Fortunately with his victory, the matter is moot, but Roger might have had cause for appeal for the ruling of one of his responses as incorrect. "At the end of a Mozart opera, this title character is dragged into the flames of hell". Roger said "Don Juan" and while the opera is called "Don Giovanni" it is the same character; just being named in different languages (Italian vs. Spanish). If being performed in a Spanish language country the opera could be called "Don Juan". Yes, it's rather a stretch but I'm glad it didn't wind up costing Roger the game.
I wondered! I also said Don Juan, so I'm glad to hear it.
I got milquetoast - took about half the think time to come up with it, and I wasn't 100% sure but I seemed to remember hearing it was the name of a character.