FJs for the 5/5/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ clues did you solve correctly for the 5/5/14 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:55 pm

This word for a timid person comes from the last name of a character in a 1920s newspaper comic called "The Timid Soul"
50%
Between 2006 & 2013 it went from 39th to 6th in per capita income & its unemployment rate dropped to the nation's lowest
56%
On Dec. 20, 1956 the Court's ruling on Browder v. Gayle went into effect, bringing an end to this 381-day event
47%
His works include "The Economic Consequences of the Peace" in 1919 & "The End of Laissez-Faire" from 1926
71%
It was published March 26, 1830; a very popular work with the same name premiered March 24, 2011
16%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
3%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
8%
BALLET & OPERA $1600: At the end of this Verdi opera, Violetta dies of consumption in the arms of Alfredo
32%
YEAR DOUBLE ZERO $2000: Charles XII, king of this country, used a blizzard as cover to crush the Russians at the 1700 Battle of Narva
42%
SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES: "The Final Problem" culminates at this cataract
38%
From the Monday game: In the 1870s paleontologist Othniel marsh discovered the first remains of this flying reptile in the United States - My response was "pterosaur" and not "pterodactyl."
6%
My incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue used the word "strike."
24%
My incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue named a city in Alabama other than Montgomery.
2%
Oops, I guessed an American or a Canadian thinker for the Thursday FJ! clue.
1%
I have seen a stage production of "The Book of Mormon."
12%

Total votes: 156

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 5/5/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

5/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for a timid person comes from the last name of a character in a 1920s newspaper comic called "The Timid Soul"

5/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATES

5/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Between 2006 & 2013 it went from 39th to 6th in per capita income & its unemployment rate dropped to the nation's lowest

5/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SUPREME COURT DECISIONS

5/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On Dec. 20, 1956 the Court's ruling on Browder v. Gayle went into effect, bringing an end to this 381-day event

5/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH THINKERS

5/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His works include "The Economic Consequences of the Peace" in 1919 & "The End of Laissez-Faire" from 1926

5/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS BOOKS

5/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was published March 26, 1830; a very popular work with the same name premiered March 24, 2011

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Milquetoast
North Dakota
Montgomery Bus Boycott
Keynes
The Book of Mormon
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 1-1-0-3-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have three that each semifinalist from the 1980s decade got correct.

BALLET & OPERA $1600: At the end of this Verdi opera, Violetta dies of consumption in the arms of Alfredo

YEAR DOUBLE ZERO $2000: Charles XII, king of this country, used a blizzard as cover to crush the Russians at the 1700 Battle of Narva

SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES: "The Final Problem" culminates at this cataract

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
La Traviata
Sweden
Reichenbach Falls

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: FJs for the 5/5/14 week

Post by Paucle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On Thursday, when I was 4/4, I thought I'd made a post worried that my week would be ruined on Friday by a Bible FJ. I went to copy it to "ask the panel" if the Friday FJ semi-counted as "bible," as it at least entilas a holy book.
Keynes was the only one I had to work at a little. I knew I knew it, just had to dig it up.

ETA: comments after responses
Last edited by Paucle on Sat May 10, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

hey, I finally beat Mark! But I cheated by not commenting on my answers yet. I am a true cad and bounder!

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(
Clam on ptero-whatever - not being sure about pteranodon vs. pterodactyl
Montgomery Bus Strike :(
No on show

I will honor the request for the Tuesday Daily Double clue later this evening with a poll for all the DDs from this week to see how it rates compared to others.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The origin of 'Milquetoast' didn't even ring a bell after the reveal, no chance there...but it will probably end up polling in the 50-60% range. Book of Mormon came to me so fast that it made the clue seem easy...but with fans of the musical and an actual Mormon saying they missed it, it'll probably end up very low, possibly ending up on the 'hardest FJ' list. This game confuses me sometimes.

Inexcusable miss on La Traviata.

I knew they would take 'pterodactyl' (and figured the contestant would probably say it), so I played it safe.

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

My Friday guess was Vanity Fair (with no idea what other work it could refer to, other than a much older magazine).
Not sure I pronounced "Reichenbach" correctly (I pronounced the first syllable as "rake") but I'm counting it.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

No real guess on Mon, Montgomery Bus Strike on Wed, not so much as a clue on Fri.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

No guuess on Monday or Tuesday. I knew Wednesday was in reference to Rosa Parks, but couldn't quite get there. I almost put down "bus strike" which I didn't think would fly as specific enough. After the reveal, I placed the boycott in Birmingham instead.

Vaguely considered Keynes on Thursday, but dismissed it as too easy.

No idea how Friday clicked so fast, but it did. Weird that my only get this week is the one that people seemed to struggle with the most…

I didn't notice "flying reptile" somehow in that clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
But I'm pretty sure I took more than 30 seconds for #5. I rarely go 5/5, so I wish I'd been there for this round!!
Last edited by Dr. J on Sat May 10, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

For some reason, I said "Birmingham Bus Boycott". I guess I was attracted to its alliterative quality. Or maybe I just had the Birmingham Blue Barons on my mind. And I never dreamt I'd have to know something about North Dakota aside from its capital.

Got all the bonus extras. Never have seen Book of Mormon, but the year 1830 rang and I pass the O'Neill Theatre every day (btw, this has nothing much to do with anything, but Eugene O'Neill's being born at 1500 Broadway [diagonally across from Times Square proper] to me is the coolest thing to happen since the day Adams and Jefferson died).
I'm smart and I want respect.

Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knew pterodactyl. Generally knew they were looking for a civil rights boycott on Wednesday, but couldn't come up with specifics. Never seen The Book of Mormon.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
On B&O $1600 I paused the DVR just long enough to finally remember (and neg with) La Boheme.

My pterodactyl response was really pteranodon, but that wasn't a poll option and yes, I took the points.
Back in the pool

Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(

Let's see:
Monday I'd always interpreted "milquetoast" as being... bland, boring. Wallflower to have something.

Tuesday I went with Louisiana, thinking it might be about post-Katrina recovery. Did not know that about North Dakota.

Wednesday... McCarthy hearings, to have something.

Friday I thought of popular works that debuted around then and settled on Game of Thrones. (A month later, as it turns out.) Obviously, the 1830 work would not have been Martin's book (I know some fans are disgruntled with Martin's production pace, but I'm pretty sure it's not that bad).

Clammed on Sweden.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday: I had no idea, but I at least had heard the word before and knew what it meant.

Tuesday: Instant get, but only because I happened to know that North Dakota was the state with the lowest unemployment rate.

Wednesday: I figured that it had something to with the civil rights movement, but I couldn't think of a specific event that fit.

Thursday: Instant get.

Friday: I got it in about 10 seconds. At first I was stumped, but then I thought of Broadway musicals and the answer clicked right away.

The two extras that I knew were instant gets, but I had no idea on the other.

My get rate on FJs for the tournament so far:
3/5
3/5
1/5
3/5

I am right at 50%. My goal next week is to go 3/5 so I won't end up below 50%, but I should probably be happy if I get even one FJ next week.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I had "bus boycott" for Wednesday, but didn't associate it with a specific city.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: Maybe for Friday - I saw the correct response elsewhere before I saw the game, and I think I would have figured it out, but I'm not absolutely sure.
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I said La Boheme instead of La Traviata, and had no clue on the bus boycott FJ. In Monday's game, my first thought was archaeopteryx, and from what I've read about Book of Mormon, I wouldn't want to see it.

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

:( :( :(

I instagot the bus boycott one, which allows me to feel like a big shot for once. I guessed "wimp" for Monday and had absolutely no chance on Friday. I guessed "Pride and Prejudice" just to have something.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Wed - Strike
Thu - Milton...oh what's his last name, damnit!!! (*it's a reference. I know his first name isn't actually Milton)
Fri - Deciphered the clue relatively quickish, but couldn't come up with anything reasonable as an answer.

Would've gotten Traviata if forced
Would've gotten Sweden if forced
Recently finished S2 of BBC Sherlock so getting this one felt cheap. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Free State of Jones (6), Captain Fantastic (9), Hidden Figures (8), Passengers (5)

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no

Said "La Boheme" instead of "La Traviata" (I just naively thought "opera" + "consumption" = "La Boheme". I don't know the names of any characters in either of those operas.)

Would have gotten Sweden on a DD, but wasn't ringing in.

As I mentioned in the thread for Friday's game, I was weirdly proud of my wrong response. This is by far the least upset I've ever been about having a perfect FJ week ruined on Friday.

I said "Grey's Anatomy" which I maintain is one of the best incorrect responses I've ever come up with.

(Yes, the biggest flaw in that response is that the TV show is older than 2011. That occurred to me at the time. I still stuck with it, because nothing else came to me, and I was very impressed with myself at coming up with a contemporary TV show that shares a title with a book from the early to mid 1800s.)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

skullturf wrote: Said "La Boheme" instead of "La Traviata" (I just naively thought "opera" + "consumption" = "La Boheme". I don't know the names of any characters in either of those operas.)
Even worse, I know the tubercular character in La Bohème is named Mimi, and I went ahead and said La Bohème anyway.