Monday, May 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

skygilbert
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, May 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skygilbert »

I guessed Amundsen too on the Ken DD that let Chuck back in the game. I always seem to pick the wrong one out of him and Scott on the south pole questions.

All in all, a great game. I was scared that Ken was going to run away with it when he had $8800 going into the first commercial but it turned out to be a dandy. I thought Chuck and Roger (the 3 and 4 seeds in my mind) should have been in the same match-up but whatever.
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ACW »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
cf1140 wrote:Surprise Surprise. Chuck Forrest made a dumb bet.
Which was?
His bet left him below Ken's MSBIW score if he is wrong on FJ.
MSBIW?

Insta-get FJ. Even if you don't know what it referred to (and I didn't exactly), Kipling and "White Man's Burden" go together.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I wish Ken lost to create a surprise final match.

Can't watch this week or anything from before that was backed up on DVR (4 shows) because TV is broken.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Golf wrote:Pretty cool game from start to finish, didn't think the material was super difficult today.

Certainly have no problem with KJ winning, but it would have been cool had Chuck pulled the upset after all these years. He's still probably my favorite Jeopardy champion with his initial skill and strategy. And his book has been and always will be my trivia bible and what propelled me to trivia geekdom.
I loved the game and give major props to KJ and Chuck (and Russ), and I recognize that this wouldn't have mattered, but it's incredible to me that after all these years, Forrest still has no clue how to bet from 2nd place.

This was just a lot of fun to watch, from the interviews to the offhand jokes about the categories to KJ's "I'll bet around $6,000" and subsequent jokes.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought it unlikely Barrie would be friends with Amundsen so went with Scott.

Knew the white man's burden/Kipling connection and "take up", did not know the context of the line but got it anyway.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Leander wrote:I thought it unlikely Barrie would be friends with Amundsen so went with Scott.

Knew the white man's burden/Kipling connection and "take up", did not know the context of the line but got it anyway.
Yeah, I thought Barrie was the real hint in that clue.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

ACW wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
Which was?
MSBIW?

Insta-get FJ. Even if you don't know what it referred to (and I didn't exactly), Kipling and "White Man's Burden" go together.
I believe it's Minimum Standard Bet, Is Wrong or something along those lines (when the leader makes their standard winning bet and then misses FJ).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Picked up "shadowbox" and "antecedent," and had the FJ before Alex was done reading! I knew it had to do with colonialism, but wasn't aware of the connection with the Philippines.

That might be the sweetest interview segment of all time. What a lovely group of champions!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Ken on the win! Chuck made a great comeback and I was rooting for him to pull the upset, but he came up just short. Congrats to Russ and Chuck for their showings in the tournament!

For the most part this board was absolutely brutal, but I do think that Sid Caesar and Alfred Stieglitz were overvalued at $2000.

I wasn't a fan of the "Robert Scott" DD or Ken's wager on it. I knew that Barrie was Scottish, Scott was English, and Amundsen was Norwegian, but to me the clue pointed more to the person whose expedition was successful, so I joined Ken in guessing Amundsen. In Ken's position I probably would have wagered $3000.

I had no guess on FJ. My precall from the category was "Battle of Balaclava."
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Excellent contestants, excellent games. Lach Trash on KB Toys & antecedent. I didn't get FJ though.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Aaalmost got an upset. I was pretty sure Ken was advancing when they showed the FJ clue; I intsa-got it. Nevertheless, Chuck cemented his place as a top 5-10 Jeopardy all-timer even after all these years. A lot of the chatter around these parts almost considered him an afterthought to Ken, Brad, Roger, Colby...but in this tourney he became the first person ever to beat Colby and came closer than anyone to knocking off Ken, even leading him briefly late in DJ. Ultimately, though, Ken is just too fast on the buzzer...and even this one's a runaway in the end if Ken gets the last DD right

Best game of the tournament so far, IMO. Might stay that way. Even the extraneous banter throughout was pretty great.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Tygor
Contributor

Post by Tygor »

A couple of things I noticed here:

-an easier board than I thought to see

-the look Chuck gave to the audience at the end of the J! Round was fantastic. Almost a "what can you do?" look

-after ken missed the DD, Chuck smelled blood.

-Ken was rattled but composed himself in time to grab the lead. I'm surprised with less than a minute to go Ken doesn't take the small clues to preserve the lead. Wouldn't that make sense?
hscer

Post by hscer »

Tygor wrote:A couple of things I noticed here:

-an easier board than I thought to see

-the look Chuck gave to the audience at the end of the J! Round was fantastic. Almost a "what can you do?" look

-after ken missed the DD, Chuck smelled blood.

-Ken was rattled but composed himself in time to grab the lead. I'm surprised with less than a minute to go Ken doesn't take the small clues to preserve the lead. Wouldn't that make sense?
I loved that look too. I think there was one entering the mid-1st-round commercial as well. I'm guessing he was looking more at the other semi-finalists than the audience in general.

I'd also guess Ken continued picking high-level clues so he could buzz in first yet again and build his lead. You definitely can tell he knows how good he is at this game. (Of course, why wouldn't he?)
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

...whew.

Halfway through, it looked like it would be yet another dominating win for Ken... but then my original prediction that Chuck would give him his first serious challenge of the tournament came to fruition. What a heartstopping beginning to a week we'll never forget!
Last edited by heelsrule1988 on Mon May 12, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote:
ACW wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
Which was?
MSBIW?

I believe it's Minimum Standard Bet, Is Wrong or something along those lines (when the leader makes their standard winning bet and then misses FJ).
That's it. It is just a shorthand I came up with.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

...because now it's the white person's burden. Right? Or is it the "white" vs. caucasian" thing?
I'm smart and I want respect.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Well, he stuck by the advice he gave in his book (more or less).
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Why couldn't this have been a triple stumper? WHY???!!?!? This was probably Chuck's last chance to find out what happens when you don't bother learning how to wager.

It was amazing how fast this turned from an obvious runaway to a game I thought Ken was going to lose. But FJ proved easy and Chuck proved that his quarter-final FJ wager wasn't due to finally understanding how to bet.

Oh well. Maybe Brad will make one of his bad bets tomorrow and lose to Leszek. I can always hope.
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

Excellent game, possibly my favorite of the BOTD so far. Chuck's a favorite of mine so I was glad to see him make it interesting. I Instagot Scott, but only because I lived in Dundee, Scotland sophomore year of college. One of Scott's ships (the RRS Discovery) is permanently docked in Dundee where she was built. J.M. Barrie hailed from Kirriemuir, a village about 20 minutes outside of town by bus (and possessing the obligatory "birthplace of" signs on the way into town). I hadn't known of their friendship for sure, but that coincidence was enough to have me yelling at the screen at Ken. After a bit of googling I learned they actually met in London, but hey, a get's a get.

In any case, this may be both the first and last time I know something Ken Jennings didn't.
Last edited by OKlibrarian on Mon May 12, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.