Tuesday, May 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote:Alex's words associated with Brad's first Daily Double crossed the line for a neutral and impartial host. It's one thing to encourage big bets which Alex has done many times. Tonight it was a little too much for my taste.
Since these are semis, I assume the contestants had watched the previous game, so Brad knew very well what had happened. And the similarity of the situation was uncanny. Actually, the similarity between the two games for the first 40 or so clues was uncanny. There just wasn't the equivalent of Chuck's catching-up tonight.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

What was up with Brad's Porsche story? Is he trying to be the man everyone loves to hate? It's working.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

With Arthur a distant memory the show needs a villain, duh.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

gnash wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Alex's words associated with Brad's first Daily Double crossed the line for a neutral and impartial host. It's one thing to encourage big bets which Alex has done many times. Tonight it was a little too much for my taste.
Since these are semis, I assume the contestants had watched the previous game, so Brad knew very well what had happened. And the similarity of the situation was uncanny.
Agreed, I found the DD on the third clue (with $600 after getting the first two clues) in both of my games, and Alex noted on the similarity in the second game, pointing out that I had made the max bet in the same situation the previous "day" when asking for my wager... and I never got the impression that he was rooting for me!

But Brad... wow. Actually, this whole tournament... wow.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Leszek, it's so cool that you took the time to post on this board! Good job making it to the semis! I was in high school during your original run as Jeopardy! champion and remember thinking how dorky you looked with those glasses...you seem way cooler in your middle-age! They still have not gotten the correct pronunciation of your name after all these years (accent on the O in Pavlovich). You were one one of the greatest players of all time, and I think Brad's dominance has more to do with his quickness on the button, although he is really well-rounded and knowledgeable, too.

I thought today's FJ was surprisingly easy (I'm 2 for 2 this week!); I was shocked that Brad missed the SMU clue; I thought it was a piece of cake since it was in the news very recently for its grand opening, and also the Bush I Library is at Texas A&M, so obviously that is not the GWB presidential library location. Brad said something about being surprised they would let it be built there, I wonder if he was referring to the effort by some Methodist ministers to prevent SMU from being the site of the GWB presidential library because they didn't like some of Bush's policies...even though George and Laura are both Methodists and Laura went to SMU.

Question: Do they let you watch the other semifinals, and if so, from the audience or on a monitor? And in the quarterfinals, do they allow you to watch the other matches? If so, going later in the round, esp. last, would be an advantage because you know how much you probably need for a wild card berth. I've always been curious about that.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I knew the SMU answer. I'm thinking of having a bumper sticker made:
I answered a Jeopardy! question that Brad Rutter missed.

For FJ, as soon as saw Hashemite, I knew it was King Hussein of Jordan.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

A drop of golden sun wrote:Leszek, it's so cool that you took the time to post on this board! Good job making it to the semis! I was in high school during your original run as Jeopardy! champion and remember thinking how dorky you looked with those glasses...you seem way cooler in your middle-age! They still have not gotten the correct pronunciation of your name after all these years (accent on the O in Pavlovich). You were one one of the greatest players of all time, and I think Brad's dominance has more to do with his quickness on the button, although he is really well-rounded and knowledgeable, too.

I thought today's FJ was surprisingly easy (I'm 2 for 2 this week!); I was shocked that Brad missed the SMU clue; I thought it was a piece of cake since it was in the news very recently for its grand opening, and also the Bush I Library is at Texas A&M, so obviously that is not the GWB presidential library location. Brad said something about being surprised they would let it be built there, I wonder if he was referring to the effort by some Methodist ministers to prevent SMU from being the site of the GWB presidential library because they didn't like some of Bush's policies...even though George and Laura are both Methodists and Laura went to SMU.

Question: Do they let you watch the other semifinals, and if so, from the audience or on a monitor? And in the quarterfinals, do they allow you to watch the other matches? If so, going later in the round, esp. last, would be an advantage because you know how much you probably need for a wild card berth. I've always been curious about that.
I thought he joked that he assumed they wouldn't ask about it (because Tom went to SMU).

My understanding is that the contestants don't get to watch quarterfinal games but do get to watch the semifinal games.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Peggles wrote:
For FJ, as soon as saw Hashemite, I knew it was King Hussein of Jordan.
Yeah, Hashemite is Pavlovian for Jordan and, by extension, King Hussein. I think that the writers could have made the clue significantly tougher by giving Hussein's name and prompting for King Saud's.
Sage on the Hudson

Simply simple

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

skygilbert wrote:I can't help but think that if Brad wagered like Roger does, he would have been close to 100k in this game. One of the most dominant performances I've ever seen, enhanced by the difficulty of the questions.
Difficulty? You surely don't mean tonight's board -- or yesterday's, either?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A drop of golden sun wrote:They still have not gotten the correct pronunciation of your name after all these years (accent on the O in Pavlovich).
At least they spell it right.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I threw "Sugar Booger" out there as a joke and was floored when it was correct! I wasn't floored by Brad's performance. He's the best to have ever played the game. FJ was easy for me. And Australia is so great I'm making my second trip there this year in November! Definitely worth it.
Kevin B
Contributor

Post by Kevin B »

StevenH wrote: At the start of the game I was expecting Alex to say that the bad news was "Ken won the first game."
Heh, I briefly thought the same thing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn't understand the category about never used responses or whatever it was. It wasn't hard, I just didn't get the connection or the theme of the category.
Leander

Post by Leander »

cosmos wrote:
Emily Blunt is one of my favorite actresses yet I drew a complete blank on her picture. Can't explain how that happened. It was my chance at a TS and I blew it.
I know I was thrown by her blondish hair in the photo, since I've always seen her with dark hair in the movies.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Guess who didn't wake up until 7:45 PM yesterday…

"Baptism by fire" was my only miss in Clichés. I've heard of a trial by fire, but not a baptism.

Arresting officers make collars?!? Huh?!?

Surprised "Keane" wasn't BMSed since Bil and Jeff have the same surname. That was my only other get in the round.

I do watch a lot of cartoons, but Jimmy Neutron was not one of them, so I had another "huh?!" moment on that clue. Somehow I doubt that anyone here has ever seen Jimmy Neutron. Can we poll that?

Lach Trash: Vince Gill, Swiss cheese.
nightreign wrote:The only answer I could think of was Sadaam Hussein, which I knew was wrong, but had I just said Hussein, I would've been right.
I did the exact same thing.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

StevenH wrote:
skygilbert wrote:I can't help but think that if Brad wagered like Roger does, he would have been close to 100k in this game. One of the most dominant performances I've ever seen, enhanced by the difficulty of the questions.
Brad was never in a situation in the DJ round of this game where he should have made a huge DD wager, in my opinion. Once he went TDD in the J! round it was smooth sailing.
Mo-zackly.

After he went into the second round with a $10K lead (which in a tournament like this is just amazing) he had no need to risk a big lead. He just kept pulling away with his usual buzzer dominance and knowledge base, as he has always done. No need for heroics.

So two games have gone pretty much according to form. I wouldn't say the winner of tonight's game goes into the final without a chance, but I think it's still a two-player final no matter what.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks to Leszek for having the grace to post here. The game had to be painful to watch for you to watch. I can't imagine what it is like having to play against a buzzer and knowledge machine like Brad. If this was just a written test, I'm sure you could hold your own against him. But his buzzer speed is unreal.

The final should be great, can't wait to see who the third player is.
billiej

Post by billiej »

cosmos wrote:I was so sure that "declination" was the correct response for different cases of nouns that I was stunned when Alex said no to Leszek.
It was the same thing that popped out of my mouth, but as soon as I heard it I knew it wasn't quite right.

Almost insta-FJ, even though I didn't "know" it.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

cosmos wrote:I was so sure that "declination" was the correct response for different cases of nouns that I was stunned when Alex said no to Leszek.
They did pause the taping so the judges could check to see if "declination" was acceptable.

Rex
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Leszek Pawlowicz (accent on the O), congratulations on making it to the Final Nine.

SG maybe you have a photographic memory and never make a mistake; I did not bother to take the time to check the spelling of his name.