Thursday, May 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hscer »

"Easy come, easy go." But obviously an in-character wager for Roger. But he's not quite out of the match yet. And he's proven he belongs with the other two.

Anyone catch the Jeopardy Twitter account spoil the pre-break first round? https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/467061869643964416

I missed FJ despite having written this, which has one of the answers: http://www.sporcle.com/games/hscer/well ... g-was-good
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

sarah0114 wrote:I was surprised they didn't come back after the commercial break to take away Brad's money for FAFSA --> college application.
Yeah, I was thinking that might have at least needed a prompt, but it's not a big deal. I did think that the clue was way overvalued, but maybe that's because I have lots of student loans that I'm paying off!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I admit I knew "Pascagoula" entirely from "Mississippi Squirrel Revial".

Snake, Champlain, and Continental Divide seemed too easy.

Lach Trash on Edema. That was tough?

$2,000 was my only miss in Medical.

Roger… ouch.

FJ! seemed way too wide open IMO.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

StevenH wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:I was surprised they didn't come back after the commercial break to take away Brad's money for FAFSA --> college application.
Yeah, I was thinking that might have at least needed a prompt, but it's not a big deal. I did think that the clue was way overvalued, but maybe that's because I have lots of student loans that I'm paying off!
I wondered about that too. It shouldn't have been BMS'd, though; applying for financial aid is not a more specific version of applying to college. I too was very surprised that that response wasn't negged in the first place, let alone taken away after the commercial break.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

needtosee
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by needtosee »

Please someone send me a link to tonight's jeopardy. We had tornado and bad weather watch in NC that took jeopardy off the air. I missed the entire episode for 5/15/14. Can anyone help?

RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Hi, everyone, glad you are enjoying the finals! I have a lot to comment on, but yes, I did get FJ sitting in the no pressure chair about 20 feet from the podiums. For edema, "dropsy" popped into my head immediately and I couldn't think of the five letter synonym :)
For FAFSA, you can see me gesturing with the buzzer for the rebound. I thought about it though and Brad would obviously get it right on after a prompt so no biggie.

It's a two day final, right?! :)
Last edited by RCraig on Thu May 15, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Gutsy move on that DD, RCraig. Even though it didn't go your way, I think it was the right move, all things considered (second row clue, against two of the toughest opponents ever).

We'll see what happens tomorrow. The scores are still close enough that all sorts of things might happen.

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

lieph82 wrote:I was really impressed with Roger today; just bad luck getting a pretty tough clue in the $800 spot. Right decision, wrong time.

Ken and Brad were great as always, though it did seem like they both were guessing a little more than usual. I hope Ken gets a DD with some money to play with tomorrow, because he had control of the board and jumped around a lot today but couldn't find one. I'm not sure about their FJ wagers, though I guess they know each other well enough that each didn't expect a $0 or all-in from the other.

I had both Silence of the Lambs and As Good as it Gets, and I'm not a movie buff, so I'm inclined to think this wasn't too hard, but that could just be the knowledge bias Doug Hicton talks about a lot.
In this particular case, I said, "What is 'As Good as it Gets'… aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand 'Silence of the Lambs'?"

BTW, at the hospitals where I've worked as a transcriptionist, "oedema" is a six-letter word. Probably small comfort to Roger, though. And bravo to him for getting "stenosis"; I expected that to be a triple-stumper. Actually, that whole category was kind of wheelhouse-ish for me because I must have typed all of those words hundreds of times.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

StevenH wrote:I wasn't a fan of the "famous dates" category, but props to the contestants for handling it well. The only one that I was able to get in time was "fall of Constantinople."
brad's get on the bill of rights was a jaw-dropper, every bit as "wow" as
Spoiler
larissa's a tree grows in brooklyn
from the first round. in retrospect, i can kinda see how he reasoned it out, but that was still pretty amazing.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

The Continental Divide clue was almost the same as the Daily Double I stupidly missed in my own game.
Loved the "do it" from Ken, even considering the result. That was sad. I was a bit surprised at how well he was doing and wanted to see him stay in it, but it is a two-day affair.
Courtney Bennis in the 2004 Teen Tournament was negative after the first day, I think.
Loved the way Brad answered the Kasparov question.
Altogther, this was a great game and I can't wait for tomorrow!

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Bamaman wrote:I wasn't surprised FJ was a two man affair with all the TDDs we've had this week.

Wasn't one of the Senior Finals a two player FJ in the first game?

I renew my objection to Roger getting his $800 back I raised when Hanz got his money back. Nothing personal, Hanz and RCraig whom I am sure is reading this. It just isn't fair to the other two.
Resetting it to zero does sort of establish and give credence to the notion that the final is two separate games rather than one long game, doesn't it?

cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I missed the game due to computer glitch. Last night I unplugged the USB cable for my TV tuner by accident, then immediately reconnected it, and assumed it would work okay without actually testing to make sure. Ouch! Turned out it needed a computer reboot, which I only figured out after it was too late.

As Good As It Gets was my favorite comedy of the 1990s but there's no way I could get that FJ without studying, and I'm only a J! fan who doesn't study for games the way contestants do.

So I'll have to "watch" the game on J! Archive and read the comments here.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to Monday, the return of Julia Collins, and games that are not at this difficulty level.

darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

It's absolutely shocking to me that Ken missed Silence of the Lambs, and I suppose equally shocking that Brad missed it. Not only is its Oscar sweep a famous bit of film trivia, but there have also been multiple Jeopardy clues referring to the Oscar win by one actor or the other, and even a FJ directly on point in 1997:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3936

I realize that was a long time ago, and so was the movie, but these guys know their Jeopardy upside-down and backwards. I was 90% certain that they would both get it right!

Roger's all-in strategy has worked well for him many a time, but on the 3rd DD of Game 1 of a 2-day final, I wonder if wagering around 60-75% of his total might have been optimal.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

DHicton wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I wasn't surprised FJ was a two man affair with all the TDDs we've had this week.

Wasn't one of the Senior Finals a two player FJ in the first game?

I renew my objection to Roger getting his $800 back I raised when Hanz got his money back. Nothing personal, Hanz and RCraig whom I am sure is reading this. It just isn't fair to the other two.
Resetting it to zero does sort of establish and give credence to the notion that the final is two separate games rather than one long game, doesn't it?
Yes, but his day 1 total will be $0, not -$800. Some of us think when Day 1 totals are added to Day 2 totals, -$800 should be added to Roger's score (or $800 subracted).

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RCraig wrote:Hi, everyone, glad you are enjoying the finals!
I'm not enjoying it; I'm dying of a severe case of edema!

Golf

Post by Golf »

darkgreenblue wrote:Roger's all-in strategy has worked well for him many a time, but on the 3rd DD of Game 1 of a 2-day final, I wonder if wagering around 60-75% of his total might have been optimal.
Nope. 1st is worth 10x 2nd, and going against the undisputed two best Jeopardy players of all time you have to play aggressively in order to have a chance. You find the golden goose, a DD in the 2nd row, and if you even have to think about not going TDD you shouldn't be there.

He played it correct, and more importantly, he knows he played it correct. It's not a matter of his strategy working well for him many a time, it's a matter of it being the correct play.
Last edited by Golf on Thu May 15, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

The negative score reset is part of the rules and everyone playing knows that. If it wasn't the rule, don't you think the players might a bit more cautious about going into the negative?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I understand it is in the rules, I just don't like it. I also don't like they don't give both players $2,000 when there is a tie for second, but they didn't consult me.

Again, it is nothing personal, just my opinion. Still, I was quite impressed with how you played today and retro good luck tomorrow.

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

RCraig wrote:The negative score reset is part of the rules and everyone playing knows that. If it wasn't the rule, don't you think the players might a bit more cautious about going into the negative?
Yes.

They do this in the celebrity J! tournaments as well. "And Wolf, though you ended up at minus $4600, we're giving you $1000 to bet with," effectively means they're giving him $5600.

Fine with me, though. It means definitively that the final should be considered as two games.

BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

StevenH wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking that might have at least needed a prompt, but it's not a big deal.
When you are playing for a million dollars, I think it's kind of a big deal. It was a wrong answer. The FAFSA is not a college application, and nobody has ever been accepted to college just for mailing in a FAFSA.

I was wondering if Ken and Brad might back off a bit on those last few low-dollar clues to let Roger sneak back in for FJ, just as a nice gesture, but I don't blame them a bit for not doing so. They are playing for a million dollars, after all, and who knows how close tomorrow might be.