Monday, May 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Monday, May 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph »

I haven't played Monopoly in 40+ years and had a hard time remembering the properties that pay rent.

mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Back at Marvin Garden I had to say it aloud to recall that I used to say Marvin's Garden, so I knew to give the "s" to the Garden tonight.
I hadn't thought of this, and that does probably make the clue a bit more difficult for the non-Monopoly enthusiasts. I've played against many people who refer to it as "Marvin's Garden" or, less frequently, "Marvin Garden" (even when the name is right there on the board) ... both of which would have certainly been ruled incorrect. I bet the producers were prepared for a misspelling like this.

Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Waltzing McKenzie

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

dhkendall wrote:Australia is like a warm, Southern Hemisphere Canada. Populations are similar (circa 30 million), they're both very big countries, but most is empty space.
No, you're way off: Canada's population is half-again the size of Australia's, about 35 million to Australia's 23 million.

periwinkle wrote:I said "Henry VII, the schmuck." Richard III partisan here

Except that, at the Battle of Bosworth Field, he wasn't Henry VII, but still Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond ("Richmond" in Shakespeare's "Richard III").

Onairb

Post by Onairb »

econgator wrote:
    TenPoundHammer wrote:Could Kabuki for $400 have been more opaque? I saw no way to get "talent" out of that.
    I realized it after the fact. It was a play on America's Got Talent.
    Same here. 'Adorkable' writing again.

yclept
    Loyal Jeopardista

Post by yclept »

Although it is a fun exercise, we may never even see Julia vs. Arthur unless they both make the finals. There have been so many strong champions since the last TOC that it is going to be quite the bloodbath. 7 super champs and 3 5-game winners who averaged $20,000+ per win. It is going to be tough just to get to the semi-finals for these players.

This was a grind-it-out win for Julia, helped obviously by a bad FJ wager. Sometimes a little luck is needed from time to time to keep these big streaks alive.

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

For those saying FJ was easy, did you (a) play a lot of Monopoly as a kid? (b) play Monopoly as an adult? or (c) pick up the property names by cultural osmosis?

I thought the FJ clue was more specific than usual, in that unless you're familiar with the play of this one specific board game you had no Chance.

Not sure how old these contestants are, but my impression is that Monopoly declined a lot in popularity about 20-25 years ago, in favour of the new style board game like Settlers of Cataan. Up until the 1980s Monopoly was a near-universal experience for middle-class kids, but is that still the case?

Dr. J
    Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

yclept wrote:Although it is a fun exercise, we may never even see Julia vs. Arthur unless they both make the finals. There have been so many strong champions since the last TOC that it is going to be quite the bloodbath. 7 super champs and 3 5-game winners who averaged $20,000+ per win. It is going to be tough just to get to the semi-finals for these players.
    I think Ben Ingram will be tough. Seems like forever since he played! It will be interesting to see if the long wait helps or hurts anyone in the field.

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Mathew5000 wrote:For those saying FJ was easy, did you (a) play a lot of Monopoly as a kid? (b) play Monopoly as an adult? or (c) pick up the property names by cultural osmosis?
    (a) Yes, all the time, (b) somewhat, (c) as a result of (a) and (b), the names are all seared into my brain.
    Mathew5000 wrote:I thought the FJ clue was more specific than usual, in that unless you're familiar with the play of this one specific board game you had no Chance.

That's true, but the game is textbook American Cultural Literacy. Per the archive, it has been the subject of three previous FJ's and quite a few complete catgories.
    Not sure how old these contestants are, but my impression is that Monopoly declined a lot in popularity about 20-25 years ago, in favour of the new style board game like Settlers of Cataan. Up until the 1980s Monopoly was a near-universal experience for middle-class kids, but is that still the case?
    I hope it's still the case. I learned a lot about math, geography and being ruthless to my siblings from that game!

Bamaman
    Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am 46 and the players looked like they are in their mid 30s. I played the game a lot as a kid but have never heard of that settlers game.

I also got the talent clue after the fact.

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Looking at the FJ wording at last, I think it may be poorly worded.

You can improve the railroads and utilities by buying other railroads and utilities, so I feel if you said a utility or railroad, you'd have to accept it. Do you all agree or am I crazy?

Bamaman
    Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You can't put houses on them, so they are not considered improvable. You do get more rent if you own more than one of them, but the game's rules only consider the "residential" properties to be improvable.

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Do the game's official rules use the language of "improvable" to describe it or not? That would make the difference to me. If I were to read the clue without any knowledge of the official clue, it to me would imply improvable in any way, and I think raising the rent is improving the value of the property to the person who owns it.

Side note: This "argument" if you would call it that is for fun, and also based on the fact that I might have panicked on the show albeit Boardwalk.

nserven
    At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

UniquePerspective wrote:Do the game's official rules use the language of "improvable" to describe it or not? That would make the difference to me. If I were to read the clue without any knowledge of the official clue, it to me would imply improvable in any way, and I think raising the rent is improving the value of the property to the person who owns it.

Side note: This "argument" if you would call it that is for fun, and also based on the fact that I might have panicked on the show albeit Boardwalk.
    One factor is that 'improve' has a specific meaning pertaining to real property:
    b : to increase the value of (land or property) by making it more useful for humans (as by cultivation or the erection of buildings)
    Buying 2 or more railroads doesn't improve them in this regard, it only makes the rates rise (the game rewards this on the logic that you would have fewer competitors and can therefore increase your rates).

As to whether people still play Monopoly, it would seem that McDonald's use of the game in promotions gives an avenue (so to speak) to the names used in the game for those who haven't played it.

TenPoundHammer
    Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My sister is 21 and she collects variants of Monopoly. She's found localized versions for small towns in Michigan. And I'm pretty sure there's a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Monopoly.

So yeah, it's still popular.
    Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

morbeedo wrote:FJ: I said Broadway and Marvin Gardens. Had I been on the show that day, I would have been mortified!
    I brilliantly said "birth control test" on the "pregnancy test" question. My wife just stared at me.

seaborgium
    Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:You can't say the bad guesses cost James the game as he still would have needed a bad wager on Julia's part to win. The one who lost with the negs was the lady in the middle who got FJ right.
    He only would have needed a bad wager from Julia if he'd clammed enough to retain the lead. Otherwise, with a couple of clams, James could have gotten deep enough into two-thirds territory that he might not have messed up the wager. But yeah, Leah clams on that "koto" response (a stringed instrument made from a bamboo stalk!), and she probably wins (presuming she wagers big enough).

Volante
    Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

UniquePerspective wrote:Do the game's official rules use the language of "improvable" to describe it or not? That would make the difference to me.
    Yes. http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf
    The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
    Latest movies (1-10): Free State of Jones (6), Captain Fantastic (9), Hidden Figures (8), Passengers (5)

Volante
    Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

It was easyish for me; Marvin took me about half the allotted time and I had Boardwalk instantly.
    Mathew5000 wrote:For those saying FJ was easy, did you (a) play a lot of Monopoly as a kid? (b) play Monopoly as an adult? or (c) pick up the property names by cultural osmosis?
    Somewhat, no, somehow. (Perhaps that McDonald's game, too)
    The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
    Latest movies (1-10): Free State of Jones (6), Captain Fantastic (9), Hidden Figures (8), Passengers (5)

ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Wasn't there a recent TD that asked about Monopoly properties? I remember sheeping on Marvin Gardens, which is why it came quicker than usual.
    Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
    Total game show losings: $25 K

periwinkle
    Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

There are a lot of newer versions of Monopoly, but some of them, like Simpsons Monopoly, change the name of the properties to fit the theme. Hasbro added a Monopoly: Here and Now version in 2005, with voting for various U.S. landmarks to be included as properties - my son and I voted on that and bought the new edition (we also have Simpsons from a yard sale, and classic Monopoly from my childhood). But that's recent enough that current contestants didn't grow up with that version.