Free Webinar on Thursday 5/29: The Jeopardy! Audition Process and How To Prepare

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Free Webinar on Thursday 5/29: The Jeopardy! Audition Process and How To Pre

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:at the laundry mat.
Laundromat.

Just sayin' ... :)

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Re: Free Webinar on Thursday 5/29: The Jeopardy! Audition Process and How To Pre

Post by Dr. J »

Actually NOT a laundry- or laundromat -- in the basement of a Lutheran family camp :) I wouldn't actually waste quarters on such a thing! I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have access to free industrial dryers and tipsy friends, none of it would have ever happened.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, that's it -- the friends were tipsy.

Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

alietr wrote:Yeah, that's it -- the friends were tipsy.
Yep...and they clearly shoved me into the dryer and slammed the door. (Ok, you got me. I shoved THEM into the dryer and slammed the door!) :lol:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You crazy Lutherans.

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

RandyG wrote:The following questions and comments were submitted during the live webinar, but we didn't have time to address them, so I'll give them a go now:

Chuck C - Melbourne, FL
Not a question, but a comment: I'm one of those people who speed through/ignore the interview section. However, once you know you'll have an audition, start watching them, as the stories might remind you of something that happened to you.

Sure, good idea.

I'd like to add to that something I thought of on my way out and wish I had done yesterday. As people are telling their stories in the audition interview, write down things that you might want to use next time you audition.

James - Providence, RI
Maggie et al. ignored my five anecdotes completely and asked general questions about my interests. Is that a bad sign?

Not necessarily a bad sign. If you were able to steer the conversation in a way that brought out the personal qualities that you wanted to bring out, then that wouldn't be lost on Maggie et al. Keeping your composure and a cheery, positive and confident attitude, despite the unexpected curveball would minimize potentially "bad signals."

Same thing happened to me and a few others yesterday. Luckily, I have been through job interviews recently and was prepared to answer general questions. Auditioners might want to have themselves prepared not just to talk about their 5 stories, but also to answer the more general questions.

David - Winnipeg
Are the "interesting stories" that you are to provide something that you fill out at the audition itself, or do they send you the sheet for "interesting stories" (and the rest of the legalese) weeks before you leave for the audition?

You'll probably have the forms at least 2-3 weeks prior to the audition. The way it worked for me 6 years ago, and I have no reason to believe it's changed, is that you'll receive two emails prior to the audition. The first congratulates you on being selected for an audition at a given location and date, and asks you to confirm back within 2 business days. You'll then get a follow-up email with detailed instructions, including the famous "information sheet", all of which you'll bring to the audition. It isn't really 10 pages at this point (as Stephanie suggested) and there's very little legalese. The forms required before getting on the show are the voluminous legalesified ones.

Nearly two months, actually. Got the paperwork as a PDF attachment (which you can edit right on the form if you'd like*) on April 10 and auditioned June 1.

*Exception, there are certain places where they specifically tell you to WRITE your initials.
Last edited by BobF on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

One thing that I had forgotten from previous auditions was that they're likely to just say "tell me about yourself" before getting into your stories. Luckily I was in the last group to be called so I had some time to think about us, but newbies should get ready for that question that everyone hates!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A Washington Post article on the Washington auditions:

7 things I learned auditioning for America’s favorite quiz show

Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Some good tidbits there -- the hugging is new! But Maggie confirms that PERSONALITY is important, so if you have to rent one, folks, let me know. ;)

BobF

Post by BobF »

alietr wrote:A Washington Post article on the Washington auditions:

That must have been the session right after mine (11:30). Mine was 9 AM, and other than the people who work for Jeopardy!, I recognize nobody. I was in Maggie's room, so I knew who was sitting in certain places in the room and none of the contestants were with my group.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

alietr wrote:A Washington Post article on the Washington auditions:

Ooh, so the goat cheese anecdote is no good, huh?
[crosses it off list]

hodgepodge
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by hodgepodge »

I listened to the webinar Friday night before my DC audition. It helped in the confidence as I thought I can do this!

(The test/game.interview went well, I think. Now I wait.)

MommyQ
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by MommyQ »

Thank you both, again, for providing this. It was timely for me also, the night before my DC audition.
"If you don't like what they're saying, change the conversation."

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

dhkendall wrote:I mentioned this afterwards in an email to Randy and Stephanie, but I realized afterwards that this is probably good advice (imho) to those that want to get on, so I'm sharing it here.

As a member of Toastmasters for 23 years now, I can't say enough about how this organization can help you if you aren't the type to be "camera ready" and need a little more confidence in your public speaking skills and yourself. (I know I wouldn't even be considering going on J! if it wasn't for Toastmasters). You can see if there's a club near you at toastmasters.org and check them out. (The members magazine I receive every month has profiled a couple of former contestants that are also Toastmasters, so that in itself is testament.)

Thanks again for putting that on guys, I hope it stays up for a while, as new visitors to the site would find all that useful. (I know something like what was in the webinar was the exact reason I came looking for this site (well, its predecessor, the Sony board) 5 years ago.)
I'll give a thumbs up to Toastmasters as well. I know tons of people who swear by it.

The webinar replay will remain up for a while at the link in the confirmation and follow-up emails. If you haven't signed up and would like to partake: http://www.JeopardyAudition.com :)
hbomb1947 wrote:But anyway, one of the takeaways for me from the webinar was that even if I have that quality you are ascribing to me, it's not enough to have it in the abstract; I need to package it in a way that shows TPTB that I'm a good fit for their product.
Don't want to be glib about it, but that's a good rule for life away from Jeopardy auditions as well.

ABM = Always Be Marketing (not to be confused with selling),
ABYB = Always Be Your Best.... you don't know who might be watching.
Bamaman wrote:I finally got around to listening to the replay. While there really wasn't any new information for me, it was fun hearing your voices as normal people and not just on TV.

The bit about "no new information" wasn't a criticism, just that most of what you said has been said on here from the many people who have tried out and been on the show. But I understand that I wasn't necessarily your target audience and I hope a lot of people learned something.

I hope you do a sequel where you can talk about how to play the game itself and various strategies.

Thanks again for putting it on, great job by both of you!!!!!!
Aw c'mon. I'd bet you haven't heard my voice on TV.

JBoard is the only place to be if you want to learn all the ins and outs of Jeopardy! dhkendall sent me a note while the webinar was live that Stephanie and I both mentioned JBoard several times but had neglected to give the actual web address. Thanks, David, for keeping us on our toes! (See, I initially violated my own rule above on "Always Be Marketing.") I didn't actually see the note until much later, but along the way I did start saying JBoard.TV. I also subsequently updated the handout to include web addresses and contact info.

We'd certainly like to do more of these on related topics. (If you'll have us.)

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

How soon after giving you my email address can I expect the link?

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

zakharov wrote:How soon after giving you my email address can I expect the link?
The autoresponder wakes up at the top of every hour. You should be getting the reply around 3pm.

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Thank you! Like I said, I already had my audition, but my curiosity got the best of me.

Skipper643
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Skipper643 »

[crosses it off list]
I think I heard that goat cheese contestant at the 9 am Saturday audition in DC (5/31)! Couldn't see who it was thanks to a poorly placed pillar, but I had a seat where I could see the screen for the test and practice round, so I was happy with that. I think I missed too many questions on the written though, will have to study popular culture for my next on-line test (guess that's January 2016).

Maggie grabbed my statement about working in tech support and asked about the most frequent problem which is how we got sidetracked onto dead mice. Then I confirmed my nerdiness by talking about Magic: the Gathering, a card game (well, I'm a tournament judge, so I thought that might be interesting).

Good luck to all of you with upcoming auditions! I hope you had as much fun at yours as I did at mine.

RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Skipper643 wrote:
[crosses it off list]
I think I heard that goat cheese contestant at the 9 am Saturday audition in DC (5/31)! Couldn't see who it was thanks to a poorly placed pillar, but I had a seat where I could see the screen for the test and practice round, so I was happy with that. I think I missed too many questions on the written though, will have to study popular culture for my next on-line test (guess that's January 2016).

Maggie grabbed my statement about working in tech support and asked about the most frequent problem which is how we got sidetracked onto dead mice. Then I confirmed my nerdiness by talking about Magic: the Gathering, a card game (well, I'm a tournament judge, so I thought that might be interesting).

Good luck to all of you with upcoming auditions! I hope you had as much fun at yours as I did at mine.
It's hard to say how many misses on the written is too many, unless it's wildly higher than on the online test.

Plenty of nerds on Jeopardy! It depends on whether you can come across as an interesting nerd who's having fun in the process.

Good luck to you.

BobF

Post by BobF »

Skipper643 wrote:Maggie grabbed my statement about working in tech support and asked about the most frequent problem which is how we got sidetracked onto dead mice. Then I confirmed my nerdiness by talking about Magic: the Gathering, a card game (well, I'm a tournament judge, so I thought that might be interesting).
My teenage sons love Magic the Gathering.