Free Webinar on Thursday 5/29: The Jeopardy! Audition Process and How To Prepare

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Free Webinar on Thursday 5/29: The Jeopardy! Audition Process and How To Pre

Post by dhkendall »

Figured this mightt be the most appropriate thread I could think of to post this (do we have another/better one for posting tips to get on)?

Came across the following quote on a Slate article from a Slate writer that was on Millionaire recently. The following quote from the article relates to his Millionaire experience but, except for one Millionaire-specific portion I edited out, this is the kind of thing we have been saying for years on this board (and its predecessor) about the best way to pass the audition:
Justin Peters wrote:I can tell you what they’re looking for, though: well-adjusted, enthusiastic people who are at least moderately good at trivia and very, very good at being themselves. This isn’t a collegiate Quiz Bowl tournament. The producers are casting a television program, and they’re looking for genuinely interesting people who won’t seize up on camera. If you go into the audition with that in mind, you’ve got a decent chance of getting on the program.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Free Webinar on Thursday 5/29: The Jeopardy! Audition Process and How To Pre

Post by DadofTwins »

When it comes to Millionaire, I think Justin Peters is right.

If you're really, really good at being Justin Peters, your chances of getting cast on Millionaire are quite high. That is to say, if you can be a New York-based improv & sketch comedian who writes for a hip-ish online magazine and looks like a younger, taller, ganglier Ben Folds you check many (if not all) of the Millionaire casting boxes.

But if "being yourself" misses on too many points, your odds get longer.

Which is fine, if that's what Millionaire wants. They can choose whoever they want for whatever reason they want. It's their show.

I just hope that the (many, many) of us who have had it made clear to us that "ourselves" are in some way not what Millionaire is looking for don't end up discouraged against putting ourselves out there for others who might also be casting TV shows and have something else (and people from somewhere else) in mind.

I hope this doesn't come across as bitter, because that's not how I feel. I like what I've seen and read from Justin. I'm glad he had his moment, and that he's running with the ball he's been handed.

But I am dubious anytime somebody says "If I can do it, anybody can."

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

DadofTwins wrote:When it comes to Millionaire, I think Justin Peters is right.

If you're really, really good at being Justin Peters, your chances of getting cast on Millionaire are quite high. That is to say, if you can be a New York-based improv & sketch comedian who writes for a hip-ish online magazine and looks like a younger, taller, ganglier Ben Folds you check many (if not all) of the Millionaire casting boxes.

But if "being yourself" misses on too many points, your odds get longer.

Which is fine, if that's what Millionaire wants. They can choose whoever they want for whatever reason they want. It's their show.

I just hope that the (many, many) of us who have had it made clear to us that "ourselves" are in some way not what Millionaire is looking for don't end up discouraged against putting ourselves out there for others who might also be casting TV shows and have something else (and people from somewhere else) in mind.

I hope this doesn't come across as bitter, because that's not how I feel. I like what I've seen and read from Justin. I'm glad he had his moment, and that he's running with the ball he's been handed.

But I am dubious anytime somebody says "If I can do it, anybody can."
That wasn't really what I got or what I was hoping to pass along here.

First of all, I was looking at it from the perspective of a potential J! contestant, not Millionaire, or else I would have posted on the Bored. Secondly, my point is that J! (and Millionaire, and probably most other game shows, but I'm guessing Millionaire is the closest to J!'s) is looking for a "type", one that is comfortable, has fun, and won't freeze up; this is something that is really hard to fake if it's not "you". (Although I have said here before that I (and others here I know) would definitely recommend Toastmasters to help you be more "telegenic".) I am thinking back to a video J! released of Julia's audition, she was against two other people in the released practice run, but only one of the three showed any kind of stage presence at all, and that's the only one we saw on TV. I don't think they gave Julia The Call because they thought she'd win 20 games based on her smarts, but rather that she was herself and comfortable and relaxed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012