FJs for the 5/19/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 5/19/14 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 pm

In the classic version of Monopoly, the only 2 improvable properties without avenue or place in their names
76%
Stephen King borrowed the name of his fictional town Castle Rock from this 1950s novel that greatly influenced him
26%
The full name of this scholarly group founded after a lecture in 1660 includes "of London for Improving Natural Knowledge"
43%
When Apple sued for iPad patent infringement, Samsung cited this 1968 movie as the originator of the design
87%
In his last speech, he mentioned local newsmakers of the day, including his friend Cesar Chavez & Don Drysdale
63%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
11%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
THE MUSEUMS OF EUROPE $1200: In 1764 Empress Catherine II purchased Johann Gotzkowski's art collection, the first collection in this museum
68%
THE SECRETARY OF WAR $2000: Secretary during the Civil War, he died 4 days after Grant appointed him to the Supreme Court
26%
FAMOUS GEMSTONES $1200: The 3,107-carat Cullinan Diamond, the largest gem diamond ever known, was presented to this British king in 1907
48%
For the Monday FJ! clue I figured out Boardwalk first.
64%
For the Monday FJ! clue I figured out Marvin Gardens first.
22%
I have read the novel or I have seen a film adaptation of "Lord of the Flies."
58%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue by guessing some kind of Royal Academy
13%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Martin Luther King, Jr.
14%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was John F. Kennedy.
4%

Total votes: 145

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 5/19/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOARD GAMES

5/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the classic version of Monopoly, the only 2 improvable properties without avenue or place in their names

5/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH NOVELS

5/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Stephen King borrowed the name of his fictional town Castle Rock from this 1950s novel that greatly influenced him

5/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ORGANIZATIONS

5/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The full name of this scholarly group founded after a lecture in 1660 includes "of London for Improving Natural Knowledge"

5/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TECHNOLOGY

5/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When Apple sued for iPad patent infringement, Samsung cited this 1968 movie as the originator of the design

5/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 1960s

5/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In his last speech, he mentioned local newsmakers of the day, including his friend Cesar Chavez & Don Drysdale

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Boardwalk & Marvin Gardens
Lord of the Flies
the Royal Society
2001: A Space Odyssey
Robert Kennedy
The players were 5/14 (35.71%) with a 1-0-0-3-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have one correct by the players followed by two triple stumpers.

THE MUSEUMS OF EUROPE $1200: In 1764 Empress Catherine II purchased Johann Gotzkowski's art collection, the first collection in this museum

THE SECRETARY OF WAR $2000: Secretary during the Civil War, he died 4 days after Grant appointed him to the Supreme Court

FAMOUS GEMSTONES $1200: The 3,107-carat Cullinan Diamond, the largest gem diamond ever known, was presented to this British king in 1907

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
The Hermitage
Edwin Stanton
Edward VII
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 5/19/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Marvin Gardens then Boardwalk
Never seen or read LOTF
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Mon - Boardwalk then Marvin
Tue - And Then There Were None. But if I had 5-10 more seconds I probably would've settled on LotF
Wed - Royal Academy (despite all my Cosmos watching)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Got Boardwalk first. NHO any of the royal academies, no guess Friday.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Should've/could've been much better in FJ
Got Boardwalk, blanked on Marvin Gardens, even though I have played Monopoly within the past year with my kids
Read LOTF in HS about 30 years ago, but didn't get that one either
Sheepin' it real.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Had Boardwalk, couldn't come up the Marvin Gardens in 30 seconds.
Never read or seen Lord of the Flies
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:( :( :mrgreen:

First 5/5 week of the season, I believe. Combined with the week of 4/28, I'm now at nine consecutive gets in regular games.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Monday: Boardwalk was instant; not really sure how I managed to pull up Marvin Gardens.
Tuesday: Pre-called LotF moments before the clue reveal; still took me half of the think music to actually consider it as a response.
Wednesday: Almost went Royal Academy of Science, but was given pause by not being sure whether to say Science or Sciences. Then "Royal Academy of Science(s) of London for Improving Natural Knowledge" seemed like too much, which is to say nothing of the redundancy of "Science" and "Natural Knowledge." Landed on "Society" and liked that a lot better.
Thursday: Easiest of the week (evidenced by the triple get). Tiny leap to get from 1968 to 2001.
Friday: Tried to think of a retiring politico or news pundit first, no luck. Then somehow took "friend Cesar Chavez" and got to RFK from there. The Los Angeles connection never occurred to me.

Hermitage: Standard Pavlovian fare.
Stanton: News to me. I'll probably have to clam on it one more time before it's solidified in my mind.
Edward VII: The date seemed too early for George V, so I named the previous guy.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :?:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Tues: The Outsiders, not British.
Wed: Phi Beta Kappa, again not British.

Friday's clue was spoiled due to a weather alert pre-emption that cut back in right as Julia's response was revealed. I think I would have gotten it right.

Neither seen nor read Lord of the Flies.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Peter Brook's 1963 film of Lord of the Flies was a Saturday-afternoon TV staple when I was a kid (no "Viewer discretion advised" back in those days either, and it's pretty intense) - I remember the conch, and Piggy and his glasses, but not Castle Rock from movie or book...

English monarchs of the 20th C. I really should study...
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(

Monopoly saved me from a third straight week of Tweety (although the last two Tweetys were quite understandable)!
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fairly good week for me. I’m surprised LOTF get rate is so low. Never read it but it’s the only sort-of-scary 50s novel I know of. What else could it be? Though I was sure I got it wrong when Alex said if you hadn’t read the book it’d be very hard to get.
Kevin B
Contributor

Post by Kevin B »

I got M/W/Th/F correct. I'm surprised I didn't get Lord of the Flies, I have both read the book and seen the movie.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(

Monday – Boardwalk immediately. Then thought it was Baltic Square for some reason.
Tuesday – Read Lord of the Flies, but wasn't going to connect Castle Rock with it. Said The Lord of the Rings; I wasn't happy with that, though.
Wednesday – Not even a guess.
Friday – Wrong Kennedy (in a coinflip with King); Robert didn't cross my mind.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :( (got close--thought of the right guy but said Edward VIII. Oops!)

Boardwalk first. Had no idea Castle Rock had to do with LotF (which I have never read). Wednesday I guessed National Geographic Society--thought maybe the UK had one, too. Friday I knew they were referencing Los Angeles, but I have somehow managed to go all these years without knowing that RFK was assassinated there.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

M: When I was a kid, we played board games all summer long (unlike my kids, who called them bored games -- and, yes, I can hear the difference in the way they say it :evil: :lol: !!). A little rusty now, but there was a time when I could have told you the rent for every single property around the board in order (including those with houses or a hotel). My first exposure to probability and statistics was empirically noticing the pattern that sevens came up the most when throwing 2 dice (and then using this knowledge to plan housing placements based on where my opponents were on the board).

T: Skipped precalls because BRITISH NOVELS was too broad of a category. Then, when it was narrowed to the 1950s, I couldn't think of a single one. :oops: (Too late for Orwell and Huxley, didn't think it could be just one of a trilogy without more TOM.) The dreaded Blank Screen of Death ....

W: Royal Geographic Society. You know, it's not so much that I mind not getting FJ! correct, but is it too much to ask to at least get my wrong response correct?
(NB: The correct name is the Royal Geographical Society.)

Th: Instaguess

F: NHO Don Drysdale, but Cesar Chavaz -> California + "last speech" + 1960s got me there with confidence and time to spare.

I got Stanton via the Johnson impeachment route.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

For the season:
97-83
Longest FJ winning streak: 6 (active 2)
Longest FJ losing streak: 6
Teacher tournament: 6-4
Decades: 8-17
College Tournament: 8-2
5/5: 0
4/5: 9
3/5: 10
2/5: 14
1/5: 3
0/5: 0

I don't recall which one I got first on Monday. I wrote down Boardwalk first on my sheet but that doesn't mean anything and I didn't say in the game thread which one came to me first.

I read the book in high school but have never seen a movie version.

I said "Royal Academy" on Wednesday, costing me my first 5/5 week of the season.

2001 was a lucky guess and Drysdale took me to LA and RFK.

I missed the museum as that one always eludes me for some reason. I should have gotten Stanton but I focused too much on the part about him dying and ignored the Civil War part.

T-
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:oops: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

A Clockwork Orange (but knew the year was off), Phi Beta Kappa, Mario... (well, couldn't pull Savio, so scribbled Puzo)
Read Lord of the Flies and saw the movie in 8th grade, but didn't remember Castle Rock.
Should have had RFK and Stanton. Impressed 41% of you got Royal Society.
In and out of the pool four times
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Breakdown of board scores on FJs for the 5/19/14 week

Post by OrangeSAM »

After 135 respondents:

:mrgreen: 15 got all 5 FJ!s
;) 29 got 4 FJ!s
:) 42 got 3 FJ!s
:( 33 got 2 FJ!s
:oops: 14 got 1 FJ!
:eek: 2 got 0 FJ!s

Average: 2.94 FJ!s correct.

My responses went: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: / :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Having read or seen LoTF was helpful on the Tuesday FJ!
24 of the 78 respondents who checked the "read it or seen it" box got FJ! right. (30.8%)
11 of the remaining 57 got FJ! right. (19.3%)
OCSam