Monday, May 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Onairb »

soxfan99 wrote:I went with Freddy Krueger, and I was pretty happy with my guess. I knew it was around that time (turns out, it was the same year), and I figured a horror film serial killer might not have many lines.
Same here, even though I've seen the three Terminator movies, and none of the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

Onairb

Post by Onairb »

lieph82 wrote:How confused will MTG be if Julia loses to another girl?
I believe he's busy partaking in the enjoyment of a "Maui Wowie" which was not discussed in this episode, interchange-wise-ishly-ness speaking, dude...

buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

Had a good Coryat for once ($23,200). Ran the Sports Records and Mister "E" categories.

On FJ, I started to say Indiana Jones, but then my mind went to Rambo, not even thinking of the Terminator (and not seeing any of those three movies put me behind the 8-ball).

A well-played game, and welcome to the discussion, RedPoisonDevil.

JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Maybe it's all been a matter of mass hypnosis, and Julia's just a psy-borg

Post by JeopRDFan »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:If Julia had given the correct response to FJ, and had she a sufficiently developed sense of humor, she might've written "I'll be back" under that response, but she didn't, and apparently doesn't (though we'll never really know).

I do think, however, that it's about time that a T-1000 was sent back from the future to give us a fresh face above the champion's lectern.
Oh geez, that is just TOO FUNNY (*cough* CLICHE *cough*) ... do you do stand-up?
I got FJ instantly for a change ... the year of release eliminated any other contenders, imo.

jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

zakharov wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:Mrs. OS and I both thought that "wrestling" needed a BMS. Any thoughts?

I got nowhere near Terminator.
If the clue asked for a sport, wrestling is fine. Wrestling is an Olympic sport, Greco-Roman wrestling is an event. Also, J usually doesn't split hairs like that unless a category demands it.
Actually, the way the IOC defines it:
Wrestling is a sport.
Greco-Roman Wrestling is a discipline.
Greco-Roman Wrestling, Men's 55 kg is an event.

But, yeah, Wrestling is a correct response.

(Fun fact: I went to Wikipedia to confirm my memory of the terminology, and Wrestling was the sport they used to illustrate it.)

yclept
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by yclept »

A bit more aggression from Julia in this game...not in the Roger Craig sense, but her DD wager in the DJ round was double what I predicted. Also, I was expecting her to guarantee herself another $30,000 in FJ but instead shot for $40,000. She either is trying new strategies that she may have read up on during her break or has decided to take a few more chances to completely maximize her winnings. Regardless, it is nice to see her evolve as she dominates.

My wish is that she completes this week to move into second place on the winning streak list.

Her opponents seemed to be on the ball, but just were helpless to her buzzer speed. They both did much better after being in the negatives at the first break, but the damage was already done.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Steve's daughter got a clue right about Beatrix Potter, unlike her father.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Bamaman wrote:Steve's daughter got a clue right about Beatrix Potter, unlike her father.
Silly rabbit, Jeopardy is for kids!

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Glad I am not the only one to go with Rambo. He doesn't really talk until the end.
I got fixated because I thought to myself that this was another poorly phrased FJ question since Rambo is not the title of the first film but the sequels.

On a different note, while Arnold is the title character in the first film, is he really the title character of the sequels? It is the liquid metal androids that are the terminators in the sequels and Arnold is really the savior/hero.

As for Julia, she did seem more agressive today. Maybe the near loss last week to the guy who bet incorrectly and the tough match on friday to the Rutter clone gave her time to reflect on her play.

Since this was taped 3 months ago(according to our redhead contestant), did Alex lie last week when he said there was a buzz on twitter about Julia?

cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I interpreted the FJ clue to mean the character did not necessarily need to be the title character in every movie of the series, just like Dirty Harry was not part of the title in each of his, only the first. Since the clue said there were only a few lines in the first movie, I figured maybe he was not in the title of that one but rather a later one. I considered that a perfectly fair misdirection. Wrong, but I had no chance anyway.

DPP

Post by DPP »

mrsal67 wrote: Since this was taped 3 months ago(according to our redhead contestant), did Alex lie last week when he said there was a buzz on twitter about Julia?
Since everyone involved with the game (including the studio audience) is sworn to secrecy up until the game is broadcast, there wouldn't have been any Twitter activity about Julia's first three weeks of games when they were taped 3 months ago. So, yes, Alex fibbed. I'm sure he assumed that there would be a lot of tweeting about Julia's games after 10 or 12 of her wins had been broadcast (I'm not sure of the exact number of wins she had when Alex made his statement). As another boardie noted earlier, Julia did look uncomfortable when Alex mentioned the tweeting.

brainiac222

Post by brainiac222 »

Is it still too early to say that Julia will be here a while? Like 50 games? After all, she hasn't started truly trying as she said, so to speak.

Guessed Indiana Jones for FJ! as well. Thought
Spoiler
Terminator
was released around 1992 or something.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mrsal67 wrote:Glad I am not the only one to go with Rambo. He doesn't really talk until the end.
I got fixated because I thought to myself that this was another poorly phrased FJ question since Rambo is not the title of the first film but the sequels.

On a different note, while Arnold is the title character in the first film, is he really the title character of the sequels? It is the liquid metal androids that are the terminators in the sequels and Arnold is really the savior/hero.
Arnold is still a Terminator in T2 (A Cyberdyne Systems Model 101), he's just been reprogrammed.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Hard Road of Hope (9), The Madness of King George (8), Batman and Harley Quinn (8), Soul (9)

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

billy pilgrim wrote:So we finally learn the truth about Joon Pahk-. He's shiftless.
a few years ago, there was a crossword blogger who called me "the shiftless lad". he's since stopped blogging, but i haven't started using caps. so i enjoyed seeing that clue.

i've also never heard of fantastic sams, and i didn't get fj. but i admire the richness of the clue. it is definitely solvable, but hardly a gimme even if you know the movies quite well.

speaking of twitter buzz and "not bad for a girl", this exchange yesterday amused me:

MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

For FJ, I almost immediately landed on Starman, starring Jeff Bridges. Lead/title character who doesn't speak much ... check. Released in 1984 ... check. Movie with sequels ... I don't think so, but maybe there was an obscure one? A subsequent IMDB check revealed no sequels, save a spinoff TV series in 1986 that lasted one year. In retrospect, probably too obscure for FJ, and I knew immediately that Terminator was correct once I saw Steve's answer.

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I said RoboCop (1987). Figured a cyborg character might not have many lines. It was the right idea. Thought about Terminator but found nothing to convince me to switch.

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

I remember a decent amount of dialogue by Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I am just curious as to why one would choose Indiana Jones for FJ?

I'm not judging since I got stuck on Rambo, but I am just wondering about the thought process.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mrsal67 wrote:I remember a decent amount of dialogue by Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I am just curious as to why one would choose Indiana Jones for FJ?
*nod* Indy probably has 21 lines in the first 5 minutes.

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Julia tweeted that she didn't think Indiana Jones was the answer, but she didn't know the answer and it's better to write something down. (or something like that).

All I could come up with was Dirty Harry, and I knew the timeframe was wrong, and had no idea how much or little he spoke. I did see Terminator in the mid-80s at a friend's house, but I forgot she had cats and had to take Benadryl when I got there and fell asleep for most of the movie, so it made very little impression on me. Never saw the sequels - know the general outline of the story and could've answered Linda Hamilton = Sarah Conner = mother of boy Terminator is trying to kill before he grows up, but that's it.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

mrsal67 wrote:I remember a decent amount of dialogue by Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I am just curious as to why one would choose Indiana Jones for FJ?

I'm not judging since I got stuck on Rambo, but I am just wondering about the thought process.
I knew it was almost certainly wrong, but the main ingredient in my thought process was the lack of thinking of anything better in those 30 seconds.

I thought the answer was probably an action movie, but the first few ideas to enter my head were Indiana Jones and Robocop and Die Hard, all of which seemed imperfect.

It's not a matter of "thinking" that Indiana Jones was "likely" to be correct. It's the lack of coming up with a really good candidate.