Monday, May 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TryingHarder
Contributor

Re: Monday, May 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TryingHarder »

Picked up Holy Roman Empire, Persian Empire,Saudi Arabia, and Cy Young. Got FJ right away. :D .
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I showed off by saying "Who is Denton True Young"?

At the wrestling complex my son trains at, there is a poster of the Russian guy in the clue.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Bamaman wrote:I showed off by saying "Who is Denton True Young"?

At the wrestling complex my son trains at, there is a poster of the Russian guy in the clue.
Karelin was a freak in his prime. The way he would reverse lift highly trained heavyweights was something to behold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=330Cx2N-_6Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpOfnUkkXtc
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

The thing with Julia is that she is THE female version of Jason Voorhees. She gets away with a victory while she kills off her opponents off one by one. It's madness I tell you...MADNESS!!! :shock:
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:She gets away with a victory while she kills off her opponents off one by one.
Two-by-two, but yeah ...
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

econgator wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:She gets away with a victory while she kills off her opponents off one by one.
Two-by-two, but yeah ...
Pffft...thanks for telling me. I always forget that Jeopardy! is a 3 person set-up. One as champ, two as challenger.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

A rather easy board.

Too bad it was a runaway today. Oh well.
soxfan99 wrote:I went with Freddy Krueger, and I was pretty happy with my guess. I knew it was around that time (turns out, it was the same year), and I figured a horror film serial killer might not have many lines.
That was indeed a good guess. Unfortunately, Kruger is known for talking (making one-lined witticisms and whatnot), which makes him precisely the opposite of, say, the slightly-earlier established Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees. And Freddy wouldn't be the "title" character until the second installment. Note: I am not being sarcastic or mean, I am just saying interesting facts. Man, now I wish that there was a slasher movie category one of these days....
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
alamble

Post by alamble »

MATTDEMP wrote:Dang, I missed that game because my affiliate had the stupid French open Tennis tournament
Since when does Jeopardy air on ESPN?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Great game for Julia - she's getting better with each game. Easy boards didn't help the challengers.

I thought of Rambo first for FJ, but was able to switch to the correct answer before time was up.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I have a feeling somebody back home told Julia that she should wager more. If we see her with improved strategy this week, she may yet grow into a formidable ToC player. Too early to tell, but I recall how Madden gave up his lowball DD wagers during the season break.

With all due respect to Julia's opponents, I said at the first commercial break that there was no way she would lose tonight.

At least her name is not Sarah Connor.
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

alamble wrote:
MATTDEMP wrote:Dang, I missed that game because my affiliate had the stupid French open Tennis tournament
Since when does Jeopardy air on ESPN?
NBC shares the French Open coverage on weekends and holidays.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rats. I thought of Terminator with 8 seconds left but couldn't convince myself to switch. My first guess, Rambo, seemed so good. I really thought Terminator came out in '83. But when it was too late to change, I realized I knew almost for certain that First Blood had come out in 1982, so Rambo couldn't be right.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:The thing with Julia is that she is THE female version of Jason Voorhees. She gets away with a victory while she kills off her opponents off one by one. It's madness I tell you...MADNESS!!! :shock:
Sounds like you could use another drink. That was coherent and almost grammatical.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote:With all due respect to Julia's opponents, I said at the first commercial break that there was no way she would lose tonight.

At least her name is not Sarah Connor.
No, that would be her opponents. She's the title character.

"Your hopes. Give them to me. Now."
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Not bad...for a girl.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

opusthepenguin wrote:Rats. I thought of Terminator with 8 seconds left but couldn't convince myself to switch. My first guess, Rambo, seemed so good. I really thought Terminator came out in '83. But when it was too late to change, I realized I knew almost for certain that First Blood had come out in 1982, so Rambo couldn't be right.
I thought Rambo and never budged. I knew part 2 came out in the mid-late 80s, so I thought First Blood might have been 84. Plus he almost never talks except the beginning and end of the movie. I guess his conversations with Trautman would have brought him over the word count in the clue.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MDaunt wrote:Not bad...for a girl.
She's damn good for a girl.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Lefty wrote:
MDaunt wrote:Not bad...for a girl.
She's damn good for a girl.
Damned good for anybody, really.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Where did the writers learn to make meatloaf? No bacon-flavored Ritz crackers? :)

Did the big ball have to be twine only or could string get by the judges?

In case anyone cares here is the link for Steve's daughter: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7969 Yes, that is why you don't skip the interview segment. The kid still has bragging rights in the family and Steve avoids court-martial for getting wrestling for $1000 in sports after not knowing Cy Young.

It took Julia 15 games, but it would seem she figured out something with the buzzer. Very scary for her opponents since she was already a good player. There has been a clear improvement level the past two games.

I'm in the club with others for the fail on the FJ! clue. It's like one of those clues where if it does not hit you quickly you may not get in 30 seconds. I was so bad with the clue I never thought of the better-than-nothing guesses of Voorhees, Krueger, or Rambo that others considered. My mind thought of Indiana Jones first and like Les Chun last season who could not clear out Von Braun to get to Goddard I could not get my thoughts to work after Indy.

I knew Raiders was 1981 and was at a loss to work out a guess. At least Alex did not tip it off with his reading of the clue.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I missed this FJ. Maybe I can blame the fact that I had a long day that contained some traveling, but this was one of those ones that feels bad to miss.

I went with "Indiana Jones" but it didn't feel right. I thought his first appearance was earlier than 1984, and I didn't think he was quite so laconic.

I tried to think of other possibilities: Robocop? I'm not sure how many of those movies there were, but I think the first one was around 1987. Bruce Willis as John McClane in Die Hard? McClane isn't a title character. Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop? Again not a title character. Plus, Axel was actually pretty talkative.

I was sort of on the right track thinking of male stars of 1980s action movies, some of which are relatively laconic. But I just couldn't make the right one appear in my head. Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Eddie Murphy... It's frustrating because you can't just "decide" to think of more possibilities when you've already come up with three or four of them -- even when you know the ones you've come up with so far seem a little "off".

Rambo didn't happen to be one of the three or four that popped into my head. My sympathies to anybody who went with Rambo, because that seems like a pretty good wrong answer.

As soon as Terminator was revealed I knew it was right. It was frustrating because I've previously singled that out as a prototypically 1980s movie.