Tuesday, May 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6847, 2014-05-27

Julia Collins game 17.

CONTESTANTS
Dylan Gaillard, a dentist from Omaha, Nebraska
Jeanne Kaiser, a law professor from Springfield, Massachusetts
Julia Collins, a supply chain professional from Kenilworth, Illinois (whose 16-day cash winnings total $337,700)

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BARBARA WALTERS (4/5)
MOVIES INSPIRED BY LITERATURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LUCKY 13 (5/5)
THOSE ARE MY INITIALS, TOO (5/5)
THE PENTAGON (4/5)
"STR"8 TALK (4/5) (Those 3 letters will begin each correct response; each correct response will consist of 8 letters.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 17 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Dylan: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jeanne: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Julia had $3,200, Jeanne was in the red with -$600, and Dylan had nothing in the bank. Julia made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

MOVIES INSPIRED BY LITERATURE $400: 2010's "Easy A"
re-imagined this decidedly unfunny 1850 novel as a comedy

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julia: $10,200
Dylan: $1,000
Jeanne: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Dylan Gaillard is a dentist from Omaha, Nebraska. Dylan, how'd you meet your wife?

Dylan: Um, she worked at a bank as a teller, actually. I just happened to come through the drive-thru one day, and, um, she'd actually met my father before, so I wasn't a complete stranger, and I knew some of the ladies at the bank, so... she gave me her number through the drive-thru, and it was kind of surprise and worked out pretty well.
[ laughs ]

Alex: How long have you two been married now?

Dylan: Uh, ten years this year.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Dylan: Thank you.

Alex: Congratulations.

Alex: Jeanne Kaiser, a law professor from Massachusetts who has hiked all of the highest peaks in New England?

Jeanne: That is true. Uh, Rhode Island was not much of a challenge.

Alex: Right.

Jeanne: But Maine involved something called a knife's edge, and that is exactly how it sounds.

Alex: Uh-huh. I'm admiring the cameo you're wearing today. Is there a story behind that? It's beautiful.

Jeanne: Absolutely. It was my mother's cameo, which I inherited from her, and she was an enormous "Jeopardy!" fan, and I'm sure she's watching somewhere.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Julia Collins is our champion. She's been on the show now 16 --this is her 17th appearance. She is a very shy person. Didn't want to come on the program at first, right? Because you didn't want to reveal what?

Julia: Personal information in this portion of the show. [ laughter ] It caused me so much anxiety, I thought, maybe I just shouldn't go. [ laughs ] But then I got a grip and here I am, so...

Alex: You want to give back the money and just call it a day?

Julia: I don't think so.
[ laughs ]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"STR"8 TALK $600: Frederick Douglass claimed, "If there is no" this, "there is no progress"

THE PENTAGON $1000: The outer & largest concentric "ring" of the Pentagon is designated this letter

BARBARA WALTERS $1000: In 1977 Barbara made journalism history by arranging the first joint interview with these two leaders

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $13,600
Dylan: $1,400
Jeanne: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLASTIC (4/4)
VISA (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MASTER CARD (4/5)
AMERICAN EXPRESS (5/5)
DISCOVER (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DINERS CLUB (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Dylan: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jeanne: 0 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dylan snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Julia had $13,200, Jeanne was in the red with -$400, and Dylan was at $3,400. Dylan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

VISA $1600: A visa to Saudi Arabia for this purpose only covers travel in the vicinities of Mecca, Medina & Jiddah
(Dylan: Um, religious purposes?)
(Alex: Give me -- more.)
(Dylan: [pause] I don't know.)
(Alex: What is [*], going to Mecca you'll fly into Jiddah, and then you travel to Medina and to Mecca for the pilgrimage.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Julia had $14,400, Jeanne was in the red with -$400, and Dylan had nothing in the bank. Julia wagered $4,000.

DISCOVER $1200: The first fossil recognized as a human ancestor was a skull found near Dusseldorf belonging to this prehistoric man

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VISA $400: A passport & visa are all you need to get into Vietnam, but you're advised to tell the U.S. embassy in this city
(Julia: What is Ho Chi Minh City?)
(Jeanne: What is Saigon?)

VISA $2000: You'll need a visa if you want to practice your French in this 920,000-square-mile North African country

DISCOVER $1600: Biochemist Henrik Dam shared a Nobel Prize for discovering this vitamin vital to blood clotting
(Jeanne: What is vitamin D?)

DISCOVER $2000: In 1958, using data from a satellite, this physicist discovered 2 radiation belts encircling the earth
(Julia: Who is Hubble?)
(Dylan: Who is Mohr's?)
(Alex: and the belts
are named for him. The [*] belts. James [*].)

DINERS CLUB $800: (Jimmy of the clue crew shows us some palm tree parts in Cambodia.) Botanically palm trees are dioecious, meaning male and female flowers grow from different trees. They can also be delicious, as the meat of the fruit is used to make the green type of this South Asian sauce

DINERS CLUB $1600: Chipotles are the dried form of these dark green chile peppers

MASTER CARD $1200: In a 1956 classic this redheaded comic rattled off, "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $28,400 (lock game)
Dylan: $4,400
Jeanne: -$2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PLAY TITLES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Julia: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $19,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Dylan: You've no hope of catching up... unless Julia does something stupid. So risk as much as $4,399; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This play's title comes from the name of a Greek king said to have carved a statue of a woman & fallen in love with it

FINAL SCORES
Dylan: $4,400 - $10 = $4,390 (What is broccoli) (2nd place: $2,000)
Julia: $28,400 + $6,600 = $35,000 (What is Pygmalion?) (17-day champion: $372,700)
(Dylan: It's a joke for my kids.)
(Alex: That's good. Do they like broccoli?)
(Dylan: No.)
(Alex: [*], that was made into My Fair Lady as a musical.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $22,800, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Dylan: $7,800, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jeanne: -$2,000, 5 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $28,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 30/60 = .500
Dylan: 14/59 = .237
Jeanne: 5/58 = .086
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THOSE ARE MY INITIALS, TOO $600: Griffin,
Du Bois
(Jeanne: What is W.E.?)

BARBARA WALTERS $200: In 2010 President Obama visited with Barbara and her cohorts on this show's
most-watched episode.

BARBARA WALTERS $600: In the 1970s Barbara broke new ground for women co-anchoring the evening news & co-hosting this morning staple
(Jeanne: What is Good Morning America?)

"STR"8 TALK $1000: This crumb topping, seen here, is sprinkled atop baked goods

THE PENTAGON $800: The 9/11 Memorial includes a wall rising from 3" to 71", representing these of the 184 who died at the Pentagon that day
(Dylan: Who are firefighters?)

VISA $1200: A visa is required to travel to this country & its districts such as Bagram, but the State Dept. warns against going
(Jeanne: What is Iraq?)

DINERS CLUB $400: Sweet potatoes are packed with this red-orange pigment, a powerful antioxidant
(Dylan: What is carotene?)
(Alex: More specific.)
(Dylan: [*]?)

PLASTIC $1600: The J.M. Eagle company flies high making pipes of this 3-letter material that was first produced in 1838
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Scarlet Letter
struggle
the "E" ring
Anwar Sadat and Menachem Begin
the Hajj
a Neanderthal
Hanoi
Algeria
vitamin K
Van Allen
curry
jalapeños
Danny Kaye
Pygmalion
W.E.B.
The View
(The) Today (Show)
streusel
ages
Afghanistan
beta-carotene
PVC
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

20th Century Play Titles
This play's title comes from the name of a Greek king said to have carved a statue of a woman & fallen in love with it.

Spoiler
What is Pygmalion? Dylan said broccoli.

Julia Collins: $28,400+$6,600=$35,000...now a 17-day champion with $372,700
Dylan Gaillard: $4,400-$10=$4,390
Jeanne Kaiser: (-$2,000)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I thought for a while Julia may make a run at Roger's record. She seems to be getting more impressive every game and right now it's hard to imagine anyone stopping her. It looks like her passing up David Madden is nearly inevitable. I had no clue for Final Jeopardy and I ran the same initials category like she did. I couldn't help but think it was too little, too late for her opponent going into Final. I think someone is perfectly capable of taking her down. A lot of it is just bad luck and not much of a strategy.

Nonetheless, congrats to Julia once again.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

I wonder if Julia might be persuaded to make an appearance here on JBoard. Hopefully the environment here isn't perceived as too rough, and people generally tend to be nicer once the subject of conversation arrives. Is there anyone here who has a way of contacting her to extend an invitation? (Or maybe she is already lurking here and doesn't want to post until after her run ends? That would be understandable - there's a lot of money at stake!)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

An article at Chicagotribune.com spoiled the fact that she'd hit seventeen today several hours before the show airs on most of the East Coast. $372700 means she's $59700 away from Madden's $432,400(counting his $2K consolation money for losing game 20). Sweeping the week will put her number two in number of regular games won and probably second in regular game winnings.
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

BigDaddyJ wrote:I wonder if Julia might be persuaded to make an appearance here on JBoard. Hopefully the environment here isn't perceived as too rough, and people generally tend to be nicer once the subject of conversation arrives. Is there anyone here who has a way of contacting her to extend an invitation? (Or maybe she is already lurking here and doesn't want to post until after her run ends? That would be understandable - there's a lot of money at stake!)

Given some of the garbage posted on the Jeopardy social media pages lately, the answer is probably NO
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

15/30 in J!, but none of those were $1,000. Odd.

Initials was easy, but I still blanked on H.L. Mencken. Got the first four in Barbara Walters easily, but had no clue on $1,000.

$400 was my only get in Pentagon. No clue when it was built.

Lach Trash: "struggle".

How was "Hanoi" a TS after Saigon/Ho Chi Minh was ruled out?

"Pilgrimage" on the Visa DD. Judges?

So that's what beta carotene is. I got "jalapeño" and clammed on "okra" in the Food category, but the first three were miles over my head.

Express was totally impenetrable to me. Negged with Detroit at $800, totally clueless on the rest.

"What is broccoli?" was at least closer than I ever got. NHO Pygmalion that I recall.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

The weird thing is that only now has Julia entered beast mode. It seemed like for her first 10 games or so, she wasn't winning in such dominating fashion. But she certainly is now, and it's awesome to watch.
Last edited by heelsrule1988 on Tue May 27, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Pilgrimage" on the Visa DD. Judges?
I think that'd be good enough.

FJ is my favorite play, so instaget. :)
skygilbert
Valued Contributor

Post by skygilbert »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Pilgrimage" on the Visa DD. Judges?
He probably would have BMS'd it. They were definitely looking for "hajj".
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Do the writers ever get tired of writing clues about Pygmalion???

Surprised the Hajj DD was a miss. And yes, I think pilgrimage would be fine.

Go Julia!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Paging everyone who was complaining that Julia hadn't had a dominating performance. Does 3 in a row satisfy?

Lach trash all over the place: Struggle, Sadat/Begin, Hanoi, hajj (if we're counting Daily Doubles), Van Allen, curry, jalapeno. Missed some gettable ones too but oh well.

Negged on Morocco for Algeria, welp.

I thought helium was discovered sooner than that. Definitely a headslapper once it was revealed.

"This man" on the neanderthal clue made me think they were looking for a named skeleton like Lucy, so I clammed. Overthought the damn thing.

Finally, a tribute to our contestants tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hxy8yQvUmk
Last edited by zakharov on Tue May 27, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Articles of Confederation seemed a little easy for a bottom of the board clue.

Picked up E ring and Vitamin K.

No clue on FJ!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

lisa0012 wrote:Do the writers ever get tired of writing clues about Pygmalion???

Go Julia!
And he didn't even phrase his response in the form of a question!
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats to Julia on her 17th win! She's been very impressive, especially in her last 3 games.

Picked up Lach trash: "struggle", "E-Ring" (or "Ring E"), "Hanoi", "Algeria", "jalapenos", "Danny Kaye"

Didn't get FJ.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

jpr281 wrote:Articles of Confederation seemed a little easy for a bottom of the board clue.
They love those Articles - I swear they ask about them once a week.

Also, my strategy of guessing "The Crucible" for anything involving Twentieth Century Drama didn't work this time.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Leander

Post by Leander »

lisa0012 wrote:Do the writers ever get tired of writing clues about Pygmalion???

Go Julia!
I agree pilgrimage would be close enough.

Never knew Pygmalion was a king, and not 100% sure it was a 20th century play, but couldn't come up with a better guess.
skygilbert
Valued Contributor

Post by skygilbert »

I swept "Lucky 13" and "Visa" somehow.

Isn't there a place called Dearborn near Detroit? I think I stayed in a hotel there one time.

I had no clue on final, but I knew I had no shot given the category so I would have wagered Venusian if I was in a close game (which I obviously wouldn't against Julia).

She's getting better and better and I'm adamantly rooting for her now. Go Julia! Pass Dave!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

skygilbert wrote: Isn't there a place called Dearborn near Detroit? I think I stayed in a hotel there one time.
Yeah, I thought so too which is why I negged on it (and probably will again next time it's asked, Dearbon is too ingrained with Detroit in my mind now.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012